PDA

View Full Version : Need kids dining ideas please....the more opinions the better

Suzibell1968
06-13-2007, 04:43 PM
I am pulling my hair out! I have done and redone too many times! I have to get this itinerary/dining plan complete! We are on the DDP for 8 nights.

I don't need itinerary plan help, just food help! Please!

Here is the plan, I still need 3 TS meals. Boma is out, times available are too late. My problem is my "kids choice" spaces. I am not sure what they will want to go back to, so I don't know where we will be at a given point in time to make the ADR.

So any input you have is so very helpful. :D Party of 5, 2 adults, 3 boys ages 4, 7 & 9. The 7 year old will eat mac & cheese, hot dogs, pasta and pizza, bread, applesauce and little else.

Here is the current plan:
8/21: AK, mid day break and 5p ADR at Chef Mickey

8/22: MK, 11:45am ADR at Crystal Palace, mid day break, back to MK

8/23: EP, mid day break, 5:55pm ADR at Cinderella's Gala Feast at GF, then MK for Spectro and Wishes

8/24: rest and kids' choice, NEED ADR ideas!

8/25: MGM, have ADR at both 8am and 11:40am at Hollywood and Vine, not sure which to keep, mid day break, then kids' choice

8/26: kids' choice in the morning and DTD in the evening. Do any DTD restaurants participate with the DDP? I wanted to go to Fultons Crab House but that is a no go for the DDP and I am not paying for that OOP! :blush: So I need ADRs for this day too.

8/27: MGM, mid day break and then rest....need ADR here too but where??? Thinking of 50s Prime Time?? Other thoughts? I have been warned that the food at MGM is less than stellar.....Ideally need an evening ADR not at MGM. Kids need a good nights rest tonight!

8/28: MK, mid day break, MK with ADR at LTT at 5:50pm and tickets to P&PP!!!!:thumbsup:

So, summary, I need 3 ADR ideas. Boma is not available for those evenings at a decent time (5p-6p).

Thanks for the help!!!

moe513
06-13-2007, 05:47 PM
What about Ohanas. If your kids dont like the food they also have grilled cheese and pizza. Also, coral reef is fun with the big fish tank. We like LTT in MK. Did you check out the menus found in info central?

grumpycajun
06-13-2007, 06:02 PM
I agree with O'hana and you might want to consider Cape May Cafe. They have a whole kids' food buffet. Lots of seafood choices and even prime rib w/ au jus for the non-seafood lovers. We're going in a few weeks.:mickey:

BW Fan
06-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Germany is a fun atmosphere, and the food is good. Also agree with O'hana for kids (only problem is I am always too full after leaving O'hana's - go figure).

tinkerbell04
06-13-2007, 06:47 PM
I think that the whole family would like Whispering Canyon, at the Wilderness Lodge. It is surely a fun place!:mickey:

AuntDJ
06-13-2007, 07:43 PM
We were a party of 7 as well, with the kids being 9,8,5. We really enjoyed Prime Time 50's cafe and LeCellier.

We also ate at Planet Hollywood and they accepted the DDP.

Also, I know you didn't ask, but we had the same schedule as you for the P & PP party in March....and here is what I learned. If at all possible you should sleep in and take it easy during the day before the party. We went to the MK then mid day break and headed to the party about 6...we were POOPED by 10 really the 5 yr old earlier, but we pushed her! and there was still ALOT of party left to have been enjoyed

DJ

septembergirl
06-13-2007, 08:09 PM
8/27: MGM, mid day break and then rest....need ADR here too but where??? Thinking of 50s Prime Time?? Other thoughts? I have been warned that the food at MGM is less than stellar.....Ideally need an evening ADR not at MGM. Kids need a good nights rest tonight!

:thumbsup: to 50's Prime Time. My whole fam really enjoyed it. It's fun and the food is really good.

katzctkpt
06-15-2007, 01:13 AM
We are trying a few new places this year so, maybe this will help:
Coral Reef
Whispering Canyon
50's Prime Time
Dino Breakfastsaurus

Places we've ate:
Tony's
Boatwrights
Ohana
Concourse Steakhouse
Planet Hollywood
Teppanyaki Japanese
Pizzafari this one may be cs not sure good subs

Other places I've heard about
Rose & Crown
Le Cellier
Cape May Cafe

Minniemouse27
06-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Also, I know you didn't ask, but we had the same schedule as you for the P & PP party in March....and here is what I learned. If at all possible you should sleep in and take it easy during the day before the party. We went to the MK then mid day break and headed to the party about 6...we were POOPED by 10 really the 5 yr old earlier, but we pushed her! and there was still ALOT of party left to have been enjoyed

DJ

I agree, we've done MVMCP and MNSSHP party w/ dd when she was 1.5yo and 2.5yo. Both days we laid low that day... slept in, some miniature golf and a late lunch..then on to the party!

This year we are going to MVMCP w/ dd (now 6yo) and ds (turning 2yo during our trip). We are going to hang at the resort, take a nap and then head over to MK for a 3:30pm ADR at CP.

For the two parties we went to w/ dd...she did great the ENTIRE night and crashed in the stroller while we were walking back down main street on the way out. :D

As for dining, I hear you on the picky thing. Dd eats veggies, plain pasta, fruit, chicken fingers, fries and pizza. So I really used menus in choosing our dining.

We are eating at the following TS restaurants:

1. Akershus (Princess Breakfast)
2. 1900 Park Fare (Cinderella Dinner)
3. Boatwrights (We are staying at POR)
4. Le Cellier
5. Chef Mickey's
6. Whispering Canyon Cafe
7. Hollywood & Vine (lunch)
8. Tusker House or Yak & Yeti (can't make ADRs yet... we are traveling in December after they open)

Hope that helps some? I realize you your sons wouldn't be interested in the princess meals though :D

Mickey'sGirl
06-15-2007, 08:48 AM
My boys like Spoodles (at the Boardwalk), Marrakesh (in Morocco in Epcot) and 'Ohana(at the Poly). They are great dinner choices. They also enjoyed Cape May in April.

DisneyDog
06-15-2007, 04:00 PM
I say stick with as many buffet restaurants as possible. They always have special offerings just for kids, and mac and cheese is almost always in the buffets. You also will have the opportunity to offer them new things they have never tried before, and since there is no extra charge, why not:thumbsup:

Nicki'sMom
06-16-2007, 11:20 PM
This is what we are doing with our DD3:
1900 PF at GF breakfast and dinner
Ohana's breakfast and dinner
Cape May Cafe breakfast
Crystal Palace dinner
Chef Mickeys dinner
Kona Cafe breakfast
LTT dinner
Akershaus dinner
Play and Dine Hollywood and Vine lunch

Hope this helps

Cinderelley
06-17-2007, 03:01 AM
My DS's were a little bit older than your kids when we went, but they really enjoyed O'hana's and Whispering Canyon Cafe. Have you considered the Fantasmic Dinner Package at MGM? I would suggest Mama Melrose. It was great when I went there, and they have plenty of pasta for the picky eater.

ryca1dreams
06-17-2007, 10:28 AM
I say stick with as many buffet restaurants as possible. They always have special offerings just for kids, and mac and cheese is almost always in the buffets. You also will have the opportunity to offer them new things they have never tried before, and since there is no extra charge, why not:thumbsup:

I agree. When people in my company ask my advice, I usually tell them the same thing unless they specifically say "my kids will try anything". I would stay away from places like Marrakesh, Les Chefs de France, even Teppanyaki. While good, they are somewhat "exotic" for picky eaters.

In addition to Chef Mickey, Crystal Palace, Ohana as has been suggested, try the family style places like Garden Grill, Liberty Tree (Dinner), etc.

The buffet at Boma might have enough for everyone. It looks exotic (and does have some different dishes) but also has tame fares.

As for Studios/MGM, we usually just go to Pizza Planet for lunch. Although, you do have H&V.

dolphinmickey9170
06-17-2007, 10:35 AM
I think that the whole family would like Whispering Canyon, at the Wilderness Lodge. It is surely a fun place!:mickey:

I have to agree with this one for sure. My kids thought it was great. I really liked the food too. Which, of course, is truly important.

WishesFan13
06-17-2007, 09:18 PM
I think Whispering Canyon would be a good bet. Haven't eaten at Concourse Steakhouse yet but it looks like they have a good kid's menu, quite a few options too.

elmjimmlm
06-18-2007, 03:49 PM

We are going to WC and this sounds great for kids...We have 3 kids (5,8,9) and we picked this just for the fact of the interaction from the CM...

xipetotec
06-18-2007, 04:07 PM
One BIg vote for biergarten in germany. My youngest is super finicky, but LOVED this place for the atmosphere and actually ate something :thumbsup:

Also, Chef mickey's, Sci-Fi Dine In and Rainforest Cafe, Cape May Cafe and Beaches and Cream ( we're BCV hounds ;) ) are all places my kids loved.

Goes4FastPass
06-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Here is the current plan:
8/21: AK, mid day break and 5p ADR at Chef Mickey
Considering the ages of your boys, AK should take you right up to the point of taking transportation directly to CR for Chef Mickey.

8/24: rest and kids' choice, NEED ADR ideas!
Whispering Canyon and o'Hana are both great 5, 7 and 9 guy choices - and different from your other listed ADRs.

8/25: MGM, have ADR at both 8am and 11:40am at Hollywood and Vine, not sure which to keep, mid day break, then kids' choice
Drop 8am - Arrive later, use your 11:40a H&V and plan to stay long enough for Fantasmic. An ADR later than 11:40a would be better yet.

8/26: kids' choice in the morning and DTD in the evening. Do any DTD restaurants participate with the DDP? I wanted to go to Fultons Crab House but that is a no go for the DDP and I am not paying for that OOP! :blush: So I need ADRs for this day too.
Here you're simply stuck because of "kid's choice". Maybe you could plan a return to MK and book CryPal - or WhisCan or OHana - all easy access from the MK. "Kid's choice" could then be within MK - plenty to choose from there for your age group. I can't see how you can wait 'til the morning of Aug 26, ask the boys what they want to do and make an ADR for that day.

You said you don't need itinerary help so I won't say 2 days at MGM is a day and a half too many. I will say Garden Grill is a terrific boys 5, 7 and 9 meal, EPCOT, is not a half day park and Illuminations should be included in every WDW vacation.

So, summary, I need 3 ADR ideas. Boma is not available for those evenings at a decent time (5p-6p).
I think you may have to stretch your definition of "decent" to include 4pm dinner. Actually, early dinner, rest, swim, then a theme park during the cool part of the evening can work great with ages 5, 7 and 9.

BigBaloo
06-19-2007, 11:47 AM
My 9YO & 6YO DS favorites for dinner are in order

Biergarten
Whispering Canyon
SciFi Drive In
O'Hana

momofdisneyprincess
06-19-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm actually going the same time as you and am even attending the same P&P Party. I have ADR's for.....
Donald's Breakfastosaurus in AK
Princess Breakfast Askerhus in Epcot
Crystal Palace for a 4pm dinner
Le Cellier
Cap'n Jack's in Downtown Disney (they take the dining plan)
Boatwright's
H&V Fantasmic Dining Package

My DD4 is fairly picky so I tried to pick as many buffet's as I could. Good luck!

jedi jen
06-19-2007, 03:17 PM
I suggest Garden Grille at Epcot. My kids loved it. It is family style so you don''t have to get up and walk around to get your food (and the young kids' food). That is nice after a day of walking. My DS(8) and my DD (4) thought is was great--Mickey, Chip and Dale, Pluto, the rotating around the Land, the make your own cupcakes, mac-n-cheese, chicken fingers. It seemed to me and I have read that the characters take more time with the guests here.

We also like Coral Reef for the Aquarium (and the food). It is seafood but there are other options. My kids loved watching the fish, turtles, etc. It seemed more relaxed/soothing than other places; I dunno, the water or something.

We also like the California Grill. We pay OOP. The kids' meals aren't too expensive. For adults, there are many options--splurging, splitting, getting apps only (sushi, flatbread). I went there twice last trip and plan to go twice this trip.

Every place we went last year was a very good experience, so I am sure that whatever you choose will work out great. We also liked Kona's, Boma's, CP, H&V, Brown Derby, Alkersus, Teppanaki, and of course, CRT.

This year we are adding some new ones - trying CM, Rose and Crown for Illuminations, and San Angel Inn (DS has been wanting to go and atmosphere looks great). I think the kids will like these too.