PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions??

WED1901
06-13-2007, 03:55 PM
2 Questions??

We plan on spending the last week in May through the 1st week of June every year. What month should we buy in?

Secondly – We would like to spend one week in our home resort and the 2nd week in another? How hard is that? Or can it be done? :mickey:

Sharon1026
06-13-2007, 04:30 PM
You can buy in any time - it doesn't make a difference.

Yes, you can spend two weeks at different resorts. However, your home resort you can book at 11 months out, and the second resort at 7 months out. I think I'd book the entire trip at your home at 11 months, then call at 7 months to get the second resort and cancel the first one.

Hope this helps!
:stitch2:

WED1901
06-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Yes that does help Thanks! :mickey:

mprewitt
06-13-2007, 05:20 PM
We plan on spending the last week in May through the 1st week of June every year. What month should we buy in?

If you mean which Use Year, I would pick a Use Year that starts right before the first month. So, in your case, I would try to get a March or April Use Year. You never want a Use Year in which you'll be taking vacations near the end of the use year.

Secondly – We would like to spend one week in our home resort and the 2nd week in another? How hard is that? Or can it be done?

I would buy points at both resorts, so that you could book at the 11-month window for both. Just keep in mind that you can't combine the points of both resorts and book them all at one of the resorts at the 11-month window. You can only book at the 11-month window using the points your own at that resort.

NewmanFamily6
06-13-2007, 06:21 PM
I don't really know what they base the use year on but I can tell you we bought at SSR in Sept 2006 while we were there. Our use year is December. I have heard people say they do not have issues booking at different resorts and people that say they have had problems. I guess it depends on when you want that other week.

CarolMN
06-14-2007, 08:24 AM
I don't really know what they base the use year on but I can tell you we bought at SSR in Sept 2006 while we were there. Our use year is December. I have heard people say they do not have issues booking at different resorts and people that say they have had problems. I guess it depends on when you want that other week.You can always make a reservation 11 months prior to your desired check out date at your home resort and 7 months prior for a non-home resort. It doesn't matter what use year you have - the points need to be valid for the dates of your stay. They don't need to be available when you call to make the reservation.

Success at booking at 7 months does depend on the time of the year, the resort and unit size.

For example, if you want a standard view room during the first week of December at the BWV, you need to own BWV points and you need to call as soon as the 11 month window opens.

But if you want a September stay at SSR, you will not have a problem booking at 7 months.

Those examples are "extreme", but they do illustrate the point.

WED1901
06-14-2007, 01:22 PM
I have heard from others that if they could do it over they would be purchase two smaller contracts rather than one large one. So In my case if we wanted to stay the first week at AKL and then the second at SSR we could get just purchase two contracts?

CarolMN
06-14-2007, 02:14 PM
I have heard from others that if they could do it over they would be purchase two smaller contracts rather than one large one. So In my case if we wanted to stay the first week at AKL and then the second at SSR we could get just purchase two contracts?Yes, but if you are not a member now, at least one of the contracts would have to be for 160 points (assuming you want to buy directly from Disney).

Some say purchasing two smaller contracts rather than one large one is a good idea because smaller contracts seem to sell faster than larger ones. Guess I wasn't all that concerned about selling before I even bought, LOL!

For what it is worth, SSR is so large relative to the other DVC resorts that it is easy to get a reservation there at the 7 month mark. I have never read a report of anyone NOT getting what they wanted at SSR at 7 months - even if it was for a peak time.

OTOH, if you want to have a chance at the AKV concierge rooms or the less expensive value & standard rooms at the AKV, you will need the 11 month window. My point is that if SSR & AKV are the main places you want to stay, you really only need to buy at the AKV. You'll be able to use your AKV points at the 7 month window to get into SSR

WED1901
06-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks again!!

Another reason I have heard people getting two contracts is to Will them to children so each would have their own.

This is some good insight you guys rock!

dvc_john
06-15-2007, 02:40 PM
As stated above, use year has NO bearing on when you can make a reservation. (It's always the 7month/11month window).

As also stated, IF you plan to vacation in the same time frame, the best use year for you is 1 or 2 months BEFORE that time frame.

In your case, if you vacation in May and have a March use year, and have to cancel a scheduled May vacation a month or two beforehand, then you still have a whole year to reschedule, or to bank your points.
If you had a June use year and had to cancel your May vacation a month or two beforehand, then you are past your banking windows, and have only a very short time to try to reschedule your vacation, or else you would lose your points.

If you consistently travel at different times in the year, or absolutely will NEVER cancel a reservation, then use year doesn't really matter.