PDA

View Full Version : New Stainless Steel Grills

tundramom
06-12-2007, 08:51 PM
I'm strongly considering buying a new grill for DH. Does anone have any feedback about the new SS models and how they clean up? I've already checked consumer reports and got their take. We use our gril 5-6 times a week, year round and store it in the garage, so it doesn't get a lot of exposure to the elements, but I'd hate to chunk out $400-800 on something that will only look good until it'd first use. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

gueli
06-12-2007, 09:00 PM
As with most things, quality will not let you down. My DW got me a beautiful grill last year for fathers day, It is soo much nicer than our old ones. Clean up is reasonably easy, and it does look sharp.
Where I live (long Island) there is a lot of salt in the air & it helps things deteriorate rapidly. So far our new grill is in the best shape of any grill I have had.
:thumbsup:
Do some research. Find a reputable company, that makes things well.
Good luck & enjoy
:beer:

MickeyandTink
06-14-2007, 04:59 PM
My DM bought a SS Weber grill a couple of years ago. It does a great job cooking, but after a few uses, the hood (top) of the grill started discoloring to a brownish color. I agree they look great new, but give me a good old black one anytime. Not as pretty new, but they don't show the ravages of high heat cooking as much as the SS ones do.

Just my :twocents:

gueli
06-15-2007, 09:32 AM
pardon me for posting a second time-
the grill I was talking about is from a company called Vermont Castings. The hood and body are a nice shade of blue (not 100 % stainless steel), and the sides are stainless steel.
still a year after getting it, it still looks good (no flakes, peeling or discoloration).
The burners are stainless steel, and the grill surface area is a heavy metal.
Again, do research. When I went to Vermont castings website, I was impressed. (they seem to do wood burning stoves & the like). Their grills looked impresive, and I am quite happy with what I got...
:mickey:

Scott C
06-18-2007, 03:13 PM
I bought a weber genesis 320 around Easter. While it is not stainless -- I have been thrilled with it. Bought it at Home Depot. I would highly suggest that you would look at it

Thanks
Scott C

Mickey'sGirl
06-18-2007, 03:27 PM
I bought a Weber Summit about 5 years ago. It is stainless and we have it hooked up to our Natural Gas line. I live in Canada -- so we get a lot of way cold weather in the winter and a lot of extreme heat and humidity in the summer. I cook on the grill year round -- I do not like the smell of meat in the house, so we tend to cook all meat outside. I cooked a roast beef on it yesterday.
I LOVE it! It was worth the money, and the plates over the flames clean up so easily. The exterior has not discoloured in the least (it is kept covered when it is not in use). I would not hesitate to recommend a Weber grill to any serious cook. :thumbsup:

tundramom
06-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I went with the Kenmore that Consumer reports recommends, DH is thrilled :thumbsup: Hopefully, we will be able to enjoy it's good looks and great cooking surface for years to come.