PDA

View Full Version : How bad is Mission Space?

DisneyFreak23
06-12-2007, 03:44 PM
I am planning on riding Mission Space for the first time when i got to disney in Sept. I want to know your opinion on what to expect. I know about the two versions and i plan on riding the 'tame' version first and MAYBE working my way into the 'big and scary' one. Last time i chickened out. This time i really want to try.

Is it easy to get :sick: or :ack:

When is the best time to go?:confused:

Thanks!:mickey:

:mickey3:

:stitch:

SBETigg
06-12-2007, 03:59 PM
You should be asking how good it is, not how bad. :) I chickened out the first time, and I was so glad I finally got up the courage to try it. This was before they had two versions. I loved it! It was exhilirating. I didn't feel sick or bothered at all-- and I get sick on the teacups. It was so great! I would hate to have missed it. It's one of my favorites now and I can't wait to do it again.

Go before eating, just in case. Some people do get sick.

KAJUNKING
06-12-2007, 04:22 PM
go before eating, and listen to the instructions, look staight ahead and dont close your eyes. me and dd6 loved it my dw not so much, but she didnt get sick, she just didnt like it

DisneyFreak23
06-12-2007, 04:38 PM
go before eating, and listen to the instructions, look staight ahead and dont close your eyes. me and dd6 loved it my dw not so much, but she didnt get sick, she just didnt like it

will do!

LouRodriGIS
06-12-2007, 04:55 PM
It's actually not that bad but it's an intense ride. As already stated you want to keep your eyes open and focused on the screen. The worst part is the liftoff which pins you to your seat. I usually have tears streaming down my cheaks from the G-forces.

My DS had no problem with this and he was 6 when he first rode.

You'll love it!

ariel03
06-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Both green team and orange team gave me a lot of nausea. But I have learned that if I do not look at the screen during the ride but look around and play with the buttons in the ride it doesn't get as bad as if I where to ride just looking at the screen. I really think they put those screens to close to your face that is why alot of people get sick. You can't focus properly. At least I can't so I get sick. Other then that I think everyone should at least ride it once as it is a really good ride dispite the nausea. :thumbsup:

grumpycajun
06-12-2007, 05:41 PM
The first time we went I didn't get :ack:, but it sure made me feel kinda :sick:. Itook me a while before I could :eat: lunch.

The second time I tried the "no spin" version and it was fine.

Disney Doll
06-12-2007, 05:49 PM
I guess it just depends on the person. I've ridden both versions many, many times without the slightest twinge of sickness. I don't really ever get motion sick though.

CaptSmee
06-12-2007, 05:55 PM
I've ridden both versions several times, neither seem to bother me. I actually prefer the green version. You just don't feel the g forces like you do on the orange version.

MushuMulan
06-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Everytime I've gone on the "more intense" one, I've really had no problem with it. I think for some people it's just a matter of them sycing themselves out, that makes them sick.

The only time I have felt a little disoriented is when I looked to the left and right during the ride, but if you re-focus on the screen or the buttons, it doesn't last.

I've even done it right after I've eaten ;).

Meteora
06-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Just to throw another opinion in, my best friend loves roller coasters. She went on every coaster in the park and enjoyed all of them. She came out of MS (the original, before they opened green) looking like she had been hit by a truck. She said that she could feel the spinning the entire time, even though she followed the directions. My other friend didn't get hit as badly, but didn't particularly enjoy the ride either.
I think it really depends what you're sensitive to.

larandtra
06-12-2007, 06:32 PM
I love coasters, thrill rides, motion rides, anything and have never felt the least nauseated or sick on MS. The Gs are not taht bad and dont seem to bother me at all. I get more of a wierd feeling riding Superman at SixFlags because it is a lay down coaster and through the loop you are inverted so the pressure of the Gs is directly on your chest. But, I have seen people who have gotten sick on MS. Not sure if it is the motion or what, but, it definately has an adverse affect on some people.

snifflesmcg
06-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Let me say this, I LOVE coasters and thrill rides of all kinds. Nothing ever bothers me. However, I went on Mission Space before they had the mild version and I was dizzy for a few hours after. I don't know whether is was a combo of it being hot, being morning (I'm a TOTAL night owl) or that I hadn't eaten yet, but it spun me for a loop. The mild version that I rode last year was no problem what so ever. I'd say ride the mild first and then see if you still wanna ride the intense.

LoriMistress
06-12-2007, 08:06 PM
I rose M:S the first year it was opened...before all the changes, and it was completely fine to me. I have a pretty strong stomach for rides--so I rode it multiple times. Though, my DH, after taking a motion sickness pill, he was "okay" but couldn't go on the ride again because the ride DID make him feel woozy.

CM~Mserrano
06-12-2007, 09:47 PM
It really depends on what you're sensitive to and now that they have two versions, I usually tell people to give the green side and try and then when you see how you do with that, give try orange side a spin. (no pun intended:blush: ) I always loved the original version. No looking around or side to side or closing your eyes could make me feel sick at all. I've even gone on after a trip around the world showcase with a drink at each one and been perfectly fine. Gone on it minutes after waking up and going in for a day at work, and right before going home for bed, empty stomach, full stomach and as mentioned before, completely drunk :thumbsup:

The best advice is to just follow the directions provided on the preshow and don't psyche yourself out about it beforehand. Most people get so worked up before they make themselves sick, and even those that have gotten sick or felt bad after riding have told me they were happy they rode, it's something you can't experiance anywhere else.

As far as when to go, Mission: Space hardly ever has a line, So, I wold probably get a FP for Soarin' or TT and then get on line for M:S. It really is an amazing ride. Not to be missed, even if you're skeptical. If you do feel at all sick after the ride, speak with any CM and they will be able to assist you, they can even call medical services if you feel really bad... trust me, I've done it :secret:

Narawen
06-12-2007, 10:04 PM
I've done the green team (tame version), and it wasn't bad at all. I wouldn't do the orange team, too scared, and I probably would get :sick:. The green team wasn't bad at all, you're just in a small space, there's a bit of shaking (not as bad as star tours), and you lean back and forward a little bit. Green team would only give the most motion sick or clausterphobic people problems.

garymacd
06-12-2007, 10:22 PM
I guess it just depends on the person. I've ridden both versions many, many times without the slightest twinge of sickness. I don't really ever get motion sick though.

I have also ridden both versions and had no trouble, but I also like that carnival ride that makes you go around really fast and then drops the floor out from under you.

My beloved wife enjoyed the ride on the tame version. She was a little nauseated and dizzy afterwards; but she has vestibular problems that gives her the feeling of being at sea while sitting on the sofa.

Also, if you are severely claustrophobic, you might feel a bit queasy when the control panel comes up to you and the shoulder restraints lock you in place. Just take deep breaths and tell yourself you can do this. A fan blows cool air on your face throughout the ride to help with the motion and confinement. The slight discomfort you might face gives you a realistic feeling of a small space capsule.

The ride only lasts a few minutes and, once it starts up, believe me, you will forget about the claustrophobia. You can do it!

mpoppinsgirl
06-12-2007, 11:42 PM
:down:I went on the intense version of this ride last year. It wasnt bad at all!!! I was actually expecting the ride to be a lot better than it was. I was kind of disappointed in it.

big blue and hairy
06-13-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm surprised to hear the roller coaster folks that have trouble with Mission Space. I'm not much of a coaster person, although I do all the WDW coaster except Space Mountain.

Someone earlier said that the Teacups make them sick, well, I'm with you. I get completely disoriented and nauseous, and it lasts for a while. I was nervous riding Mission Space for the first time, but I followed the directions and I was absolutely fine. I felt the spin for about the first second and then it was g forces.

:sulley:

DisneyFreak23
06-13-2007, 10:33 AM
but I also like that carnival ride that makes you go around really fast and then drops the floor out from under you.

that is like, my fave ride at the carnival :secret:

Just to throw another opinion in, my best friend loves roller coasters. She went on every coaster in the park and enjoyed all of them. She came out of MS (the original, before they opened green) looking like she had been hit by a truck. She said that she could feel the spinning the entire time, even though she followed the directions. My other friend didn't get hit as badly, but didn't particularly enjoy the ride either.

uh-oh:(

it's just a matter of them sycing themselves out, that makes them sick.

that skying out is probably why i chickened out last time:oops:

Well, it looks like we have quite the difference of opinions, but i know for sure i will ride the green version and if it doesn't give me any problems, then i will probably try the orange version (if i can convince someone in my family to go with me)lol

thank you for all the advice, keep it coming

DisneyFreak23
06-13-2007, 10:34 AM
but I also like that carnival ride that makes you go around really fast and then drops the floor out from under you.

that is like, my fave ride at the carnival :secret:

uh-oh:(

it's just a matter of them sycing themselves out, that makes them sick.

that sykeing out is probably why i chickened out last time:oops:

Well, it looks like we have quite the difference of opinions, but i know for sure i will ride the green version and if it doesn't give me any problems, then i will probably try the orange version (if i can convince someone in my family to go with me)lol

thank you for all the advice, keep it coming

garymacd
06-13-2007, 11:04 AM
:down:I went on the intense version of this ride last year. It wasnt bad at all!!! I was actually expecting the ride to be a lot better than it was. I was kind of disappointed in it.

I remember reading that before MS opened, they had astronauts from NASA try it out. They said the ride was very similar to the g-forces felt during take-off, if not worse.

DisneyFreak23
06-13-2007, 11:11 AM
I remember reading that before MS opened, they had astronauts from NASA try it out. They said the ride was very similar to the g-forces felt during take-off, if not worse.

Lol. Thats funny is a twisted way:D I mean NASA astronauts were saying a DISNEY ride was almost WORSE that an actual rocket taking off! :rotfl: