PDA

View Full Version : Disney-MGM name change rumor

big blue and hairy
06-12-2007, 09:37 AM
How likely is it that this rumor is true? I see people talking about it like it's already happened, but rumors about a name change for the Studios have been popping up for years with nothing coming of them. Does anyone have any real inside knowledge?

:sulley:

DisneyFreak23
06-12-2007, 09:43 AM
I heard from a pretty reliable source that the name is most likely changing to Disney and Pixar Studios. Has anyone else heard this?

Let me know!:mickey3:

big blue and hairy
06-12-2007, 09:52 AM
That's the prevailing rumor, but from whom did this rumor come? A bus driver, Bob Iger, Bob Iger's bus driver, who? :)

:sulley:

DisneyFreak23
06-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Well, im not sure where i heard it the first time, but recently i heard it from a former cast member on a podcast

Darbylew
06-12-2007, 10:54 AM
I have never heard anyone speak of a change
for MGM. We were just there and it was just
wonderful. Star Wars weekend for us was just
great. The characters are all over the park.

MushuMulan
06-12-2007, 10:57 AM
I haven't heard of this either, and I honestly think it doesn't have a good chance of happening. Half of the stuff at MGM is/was not made by Pixar, so I can't see why they would get their name in one of the theme parks. Just as well, the MGM has had that name for a long time, so I can not understand why they would decide to change it now.

DisneyFreak23
06-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Well, this is currently a rumour for the park, so even though my source is semi-reliable doesn't mean that im right! Even if they were to change the name, i don't think it would happen for a few years. probably not until at least 2010:thumbsup:

Strmchsr
06-12-2007, 11:12 AM
What is not a rumor is that a contract with MGM and Disney has expired and not been renewed by either side. So, the name will change soon. In fact, all of the "official" stuff already says Disney Studios not Disney MGM. Part of that is due to the licensing agreement with MGM, but part of it has been changed since the agreement expired. This does not affect rides such as the Great Movie Ride since that's a separate agreement.

The rumor that it will be called "Disney Pixar Studios" is still just a rumor, and no official word has been stated, but this rumor is coming from enough inside sources to have some credence.

DisneyFreak23
06-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Aha! so what i am saying does have some truth to it! So the name is changing, its just that nobody's sure what is will be changed to.:thumbsup:

it all makes sense now!

:mickey3:
:stitch:

JPL
06-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Actually the marketing and merchandising rights part of the contract expired a few years back and that is why in all publicity materials it is refered to the Disney Studios. The naming and licensing right for the park were negotiated when MGM was desperate and I belive Disney has them for as long as they want. The name change originally surfaced when the marketing rights part of the agreement ended and they stopped referring to it as the Disney-MGM Studios on Vacation Planning Videos and other promotional material. Then was reinforced when Disney Studios Paris opened. If and when the name changes I would like to see it Change to simply The Walt Disney Studios.

Patricia
06-12-2007, 04:23 PM
I like the simplicity of Disney Studios if they ever actually change it for good. Of course I'll probably always call it MGM Studios. :blush:

WDWfanatic742
06-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Last thing that I saw was a permit or something filed for something which would have the title of:

Disney Pixar Studios - MGM Studios

Haha, try finding an abbreviation for that:

DPS-MGMS

caryrae
06-14-2007, 03:22 PM
I read this from the Central Flroida News 13 website. Sounds like they will name an area of the park for Pixar. Sorry they had no journalists name.

Disney-MGM Park Won't Change Name
Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:21:10 AM

There has been a lot of speculation for years that the Disney-MGM Studios theme park could change its name, but Disney says that won't be happening anytime soon.

It was first reported that it would become the Walt Disney Studios park after a naming agreement with MGM expired.

Then, industry analysts thought the name would be shared by MGM and Pixar once Disney acquired the movie studio last year.

Disney confirmed that an area of the park will be named for Pixar once a new Toy Story ride opens, but the MGM name will remain for the entire park.

WDWfanatic742
06-15-2007, 03:00 AM
So now I understand where the Disney Pixar Studios - MGM Studios came from. Disney Pixar Studios will be a new land in MGM Studios probably located where TSM is located now, which is probably the reason they closed down the street where the ride is located to add signage or add theming to the area.

Supercali
06-17-2007, 01:10 AM
I wouldn't put too much stock in what a Disney spokesperson tells the media. I've heard the Disney-Pixar Studios name change from good sources. I think that they're denying it the way they did with Tom Sawyer Island being changed to a pirates theme. They didn't say it wouldn't change, they just tried to spin the answer to be about one section of the park. Their response of "it won't be changed anytime soon," can mean anything. It could mean not until this fall for all we know. The Disney PR folks know that some people hate any kind of change, so I think that they're just spinning their response.:cool:

caryrae
06-17-2007, 09:23 AM
I don't put much stock in what anyone says. I belive it when I see.

LudwigVonDrake
06-17-2007, 01:48 PM
So now I understand where the Disney Pixar Studios - MGM Studios came from. Disney Pixar Studios will be a new land in MGM Studios probably located where TSM is located now, which is probably the reason they closed down the street where the ride is located to add signage or add theming to the area.

If this means adding more things to do in MGM, then I'm all for it!!! :mickey: