PDA

View Full Version : Disneymooners Dine Like Royalty for 8 Days - Boma

poeticeclipse
06-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Back again with a new TS restaurant to review... Boma at AKL.

Approaching AKL (http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x284/mrandmrslantz/Honeymoon%20Pics/484.jpg) we were stunned. There is so much majesty as you walk in the front doors. We really loved the african theming. Finding Boma was a bit confusing at first. We didn't realize that it was on another level and that you had to take an elevator to get to it. So, after finding the map and solving that equation, we headed down and right off the elevator was a sea of people just standing in line. We weren't sure who was standing around for what restaurant since Jiko is just across the way. We ended up finding the line (which moved very fast despite it's length) and we got our beeper and were told it would be about 10-15 minutes. We both went into the restroom to freshen up and I wasn't even in there for 30 seconds before I got paged to be seated. Great seats towards the left back of the restaurant. Away from the middle of the action which was nice for us being on our honeymoon. Our waiter was very attentive and super nice. He told us to go ahead and dig in... so with much anticipation we headed straight for the buffet.

Now, here's where things get tricky. The way that the food is line up, I wasn't sure where I should start and I think other people got the same feeling. So, we just started with the meats. Now, we don't eat any meat... just seafood. So, we got the BBQ type salmon which smelled wonderful. I was brave and got pretty much a little of every pasta and random dish. I also had to try the carrot soup which I had heard so much about. After sitting down and trying a little of everything, sadly, I was disappointed. I only liked about 3 things on my plate and found everything else to be weird and not in a good way. It's not like anything made me want to gag. I just didn't find a lot of it to be up my ally despite being a pescetarian. The salmon, potatoes with afritude, and zebra domes rocked. The rest was a take it or leave it thing. I can see how if you love random foods... this would be the place for you. But, for my husband and I, we'd be better off some other place.

We did get a very very awesome dessert (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/poeticeclipse/Disney%20Dining/470.jpg)made just for us. I got very grabby with the gummi bears. :secret:

We took our time after dinner to walk around and look at the lodge a bit. We got some great shots in the lobby (http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x284/mrandmrslantz/Honeymoon%20Pics/498.jpg)and of the animals (http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x284/mrandmrslantz/Honeymoon%20Pics/494.jpg) roaming outside.

offwego
06-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Sounds like you had a good time despite the food not being everything you wanted. I really enjoy boma's but see it more as a winter place with all the soups and such.

The zebra domes are worth the trip though.

Thanks for the pics they are fantastic!!:mickey:

DisneyAggies
06-11-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm sorry you didn't like the food at Boma. DH, DS and I tried it on our last trip and despite my hesitation (DH and I are pretty picky eaters) we LOVED it!! It also (by far) was DS's (17 months old at the time) favorite food served at a buffet--we didn't get him anything from the kiddie bar!!

January-2007
06-12-2007, 08:15 AM
I usually read such rave reviews about Boma, but I don't think we would like it either. How neat that they brought out that special dessert though, too cute! Thanks for reporting.

SBETigg
06-12-2007, 08:29 AM
We're trying Boma for the first time in August, mostly for a chance to explore AKL but we enjoy lots of different kinds of food. I'm really looking forward to it. That was so sweet that they made you a special dessert! Love the gummies. Thanks for the report!

A Mouse Fan
06-12-2007, 11:37 AM
We had read SO much about Boma before we left and were really unsure we wanted to try it. We did end up going and while we are glad we tried it we wouldn't go back. I am usually game for trying something new and some of the soups were great but overall...it was just OK. I look forward to trying other restaurants around the world :)

kaerbear178
06-13-2007, 11:40 AM
I liked it but when we went it was like 9pm after a busy day. My fiance did not like it I think mainly because he was tired/hungry and gets to be a little picky at that point. He also does not like buffets. :huh: So I guess we won't be going back.

Anyway...
It looks like you had fun even though it wasn't your favorite. I love your pictures and reports!:mickey:

Sharon1026
06-13-2007, 11:50 AM
We're trying Boma for the first time in August, mostly for a chance to explore AKL but we enjoy lots of different kinds of food. I'm really looking forward to it. That was so sweet that they made you a special dessert! Love the gummies. Thanks for the report!

We've eaten there a few times and have really enjoyed our experiences. We do have adult palates and enjoy eating new foods. If you are a "picky eater" and only like "run of the mill" sort of dishes, then you might not enjoy Boma.

We were glad to have some different dishes as opposed to the same old steak, chicken, etc. that you find elsewhere on the property.

Have fun!

TexasPrincessAurora
06-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Boma's isn't the restaurant it used to be...the selections are more limited and not as unique. The service isn't as top notch as it used to be either. It used to be a must do for us, but has now been put on the "maybe we'll try that again someday" list.