PDA

View Full Version : Arrive EARLIER than expected at MCO?

karenrarintogo
06-10-2007, 04:22 PM
We have flying into MCO in Sept. We have a layover in Chicago for 3 hours (flight times got changed AFTER we made reservations, lengthening our layover:( ). This is the thing: There is a flight to MCO leaving 30 minutes after we arrive in Chicago, assuming ours is on time). We would SOOOOOOOOOO like to board this flight instead if we could make it work and seats were available. (we are not checking luggage--just doing carry-on.)
Has anyone ever been able to do a flight change similar to this? (We are flying United, by the way.):confused:

BronxTigger
06-10-2007, 04:35 PM
I have flown standby before when I got to an airport early and there were seats available on the earlier flight.

I don't know how it will affect DME if you are taking it; I know they asked for my flight numbers when I booked my hotel reservations. I doubt it would be a huge problem, especially since you don't have any checked luggage.

TammiMcMan
06-10-2007, 10:18 PM
According to their website, United honors same day standby service for no additional fee. If you want to confirm an available seat on the same day, it will cost you $25.

That decision is a tough one for you though. You could reserve those seats at your originating airport and pay the $25 per ticket fee. With only 30 minutes to spare though, that leaves no time for delays in take off or landing.

If you decide to try standby, you'll definitely want to do carryon and try to get seats as close to the front of the plane as possible. Every second will count getting to the next gate and ensuring there are enough available standby seats for your group. Unfortunately, in either case, the odds are against you making that earlier flight.

CleveRocks
06-10-2007, 10:58 PM
I don't know how it will affect DME if you are taking it; I know they asked for my flight numbers when I booked my hotel reservations. I doubt it would be a huge problem, especially since you don't have any checked luggage.Luggage or not, this presents ZERO problem for DME.

DME requires reservations for 2 reasons: contractural obligation with the airport authority; and so that they have an idea of about how many people will need rides to which resorts and at around what times.

It's not like they are expecting you at an exact time and are holding a bus seat for you or anything like that. Heck, you could arrive on-time but then wait for someone else's flight to arrive, get lunch, shop, etc., and DME would have no problem with that. Same with arriving early.

There won't be any need to call DME and tell them you plan to arrive earlier. As long as it's the same day, DME won't give two hoots and no CM will know you are arriving at an earlier or later time than you originally told them.

The only time you NEED to tell them about a flight change is if your flight changes to a very late night arrival. Even though DME is theoretically a 24/7 operation, they severely scale down operations after they know that there are no more passengers scheduled to arrive that night. So if you changed your flight to one with a 1:30 a.m. arrival time, you might just catch them off-guard if their computer told them that the latest flight arrival with a DME passenger was at 11:00 p.m.

karenrarintogo
06-11-2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the info...we are arriving in Chicago at the crack of dawn on one of the first flights out of our little airport--very likely the flight will be on time.
Our assigned flight to MCO looks quite full already (makes sense since it appears United cancelled a flight and merged two previous flights :mad:).
The earlier flight we would like to make is not nearly as full at this time. I will be checking the seat map of the earlier flight before we leave our home, to see if there is availability for our group.
We'd have to pray the gate was close by at Ohare, which is asking a lot. I'm wondering if our assigned flight may possibly overbook--that might be our saving grace to get us on an earlier flight. (along with others who are thinking just like me, tho!):mickey::mickey:

PrincessCathy
06-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Just a suggestion - you may want to print out a map of O'Hare ahead of time, or, take a look at the map ahead of time so that you have some idea of where you are going. The United area at O'Hare is HUGE!! Also note that United is at both Terminal 1 & 2 if you count United Express and Ted. You only stated United so I'm assuming you will be in Terminal 1.

I found two good maps - the first by Googling 'ohare airport map and united' and the second by going to United's website. It is listed in the Airport Information section which is listed under Services and Information.

Good luck! Sorry about what the airline did to you.

karenrarintogo
06-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestion!
Questions to airline savvy fliers:
Would it be to our advantage to mention what we would like to do to the United agent at our gate before we leave our home airport? Maybe the agent could look up the earlier flight and let us know the gate #, how many seats are available and if our assigned flight is overbooked?
Not to be considered totally naive: I do realize this is United, however, and not the most accomodating bunch, I've been told. :(
We don't want to pay an extra $25/person a poster previously mentioned. I am assuming if you do pay the $25 this is nonrefundable if you miss the plane. True?
:confused:

TammiMcMan
06-11-2007, 06:11 PM
If you go onto the United website 24 hours prior to your flight, you'll be able to see the gate you've been assigned to when flying into O'Hare and the gate the earlier connection is scheduled to go out of. All you need to know is the flight number. Just click the flight status link and enter your information. Before you land, I would ask the flight attendant if they can verify that the gate information is still the same.

The ticket agent at your originating airport can most likely tell you the number of seats available, however they probably won't know the number of standby's and I don't think that they'll confirm an overbooked flight. Technically, most flights are overbooked to begin with. How long is your flight to O'Hare? Most standby's are going to check in within two hours of the flight, so that could be filling up while you are still flying.

If you decide to pay the $25 for confirmed seats (if available on the earlier connection), it's non refundable if you miss the flight. They'd basically try to get you on the next one, but it sounds like that's the one you already have seats for anyway.

karenrarintogo
06-11-2007, 06:40 PM
The flight we want to get on leaves at 6:30 AM.
It would be pretty early to get to Ohare by 4:30 am, but I'd sure take the chance if it would get me to MCO by mid morning. :)

We are scheduled to arrive at ORD at 6 AM.

vamaggie
06-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Depending on who is in your party (little kids, older folks?) you might be able to do an "OJ" through the airport :walk:and make the flight if you can get off the 1st plane fast. Years ago (1990) we had to do this to catch a flight at O'Hare.(1st flight delayed from HI, 2nd flight last one out to NY) Let the flight attendants on the 1st flight know you are trying to catch the connecting flight. Ours radioed ahead so the gate knew we were running there and they were able to make sure we made it. Granted this was years ago and I don't know if they would do this in the current flying atmosphere. Good Luck--hope you make the earlier flight! 3 extra hours are much better spent in WDW than ORD!!!!:mickey:

karenrarintogo
06-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Are all hale and hardy adults--some more than others :blush:) but can run if it will get me to Disney 3 hrs sooner!
But the kicker is, the attendants at the earlier flight have to be IN THE MOOD to let us on, right? No guarantees, even if we are there on time and they are still boarding the plane.
We will probably run for it anyway if there is any possibly of success!

TammiMcMan
06-11-2007, 09:31 PM
But the kicker is, the attendants at the earlier flight have to be IN THE MOOD to let us on, right? No guarantees, even if we are there on time and they are still boarding the plane.They need to ensure that there is enough time to check you in, issue a boarding pass, get you on the plane and seated without delaying take off. If regular passengars haven't checked in within 30 minutes of the flight, then they start pulling people up from the stand by list. Ideally, they want everyone to have a boarding pass issued within 20 minutes of the flight leaving. In reality, if your plane lands on time, you need to taxi to the gate, get off and get to the departure gate in 10 minutes. I've made mad dashes through the airport and I agree, it's totally worth it to try.

Oddly enough, at O'Hare, they advertise peak security lines from 4am - 9am and the peak days are Sunday, Monday, Thursday and Friday.

karenrarintogo
06-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks for clarifying things! I've never flown standby. Hey, maybe the earlier flight we want to fly on will be just SLIGHTLY delayed--that would really help us out. :fingers: :D:):mickey:

wdwfan
06-12-2007, 08:01 AM
The legal connection time for UAL filghts is 30 min. So they could book you on it now if you wanted. Since they've changed your schedule they should do it for free, (unless you've accepted the changes) The risk is not making the connection and the flight your currently booked on would have no availability, then you just wait until a flt. has seats.
Normally, the first flights of the day work on schedule so chances are better of being ontime to make connection.
Depending on the number of people & their ability to go from B to C concourse and even farther if on regional jet (if necessary) fast would be my only concern.
I'd just watch the capacity and if are seats are still available have them put you on standby before you leave your orginating city. If you make it great, if not you still have orginal flight. You can do this because your not checking bags, if you check bags you have to be on the same flight as your bag.
When you book your flight the schedule is from gate to gate. So if your scheduled to land at 6AM, that means you should be at the gate in ORD at 6 AM.

karenrarintogo
06-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the additional info. I have no idea that 30 min. is the minimum time allowed! At that this was gate to gate.

Would we still have to fork out $25/person to do what you suggest? (ask for standby status) :confused:

karenrarintogo
06-12-2007, 07:37 PM
PS We never "accepted" any changes. United never even bothered to let us know of the changes; and they still haven't to this day.

I found out by calling the United 800 # with a question and the computer voice :badpc: told us of the change.

Think they'll ever let us know? (Times got changed coming and going for us--shortening our WDW trip by over 3 hrs. :( )

TammiMcMan
06-12-2007, 09:36 PM
There's no charge to be placed on stand by status, provided you are within 24 hours of the flight. The $25 fee would be for confirmed seating on the earlier flight.

Even if they can add you to the standby list at your originating airport, you're still having to deal with a 30 minute connection. It's going to be tight.

karenrarintogo
06-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Are you therefore recommending that we give our names to the United agent at our airport of origin so they can communicate our names and intentions to the agent at the earlier flight in Chicago?

Thanks for all your help...I am becoming more hopeful this may happen! :D

karenrarintogo
06-12-2007, 09:59 PM
oops! Sorry--I just read your entire note again, and that's exactly what you seem to suggest!

:blush: Thanks!

chick20679
06-12-2007, 11:40 PM
I would recommend asking the ticket agent at your home airport to check you in for your scheduled flights, but to also list you standby for the earlier flight. Since you're not checking baggage (remember you can't take any liquids, gels or aerosols larger than 3 oz with you through the security checkpoint) the agent should be more willing to make that arrangement for you. That way, if you can make the earier flight time-wise, you'll at least be listed for a seat assignment, and won't waste any money on the 'same day confirmed' if you don't wind up with enough time. Also, that way you won't have to stress about time if it starts to get REALLY tight... you'll at least have the peace of mind that you still have the later flight booked. 30 minutes is a 'legal' connection time, but keep in mind that it will probably mean RUNNING through the airport.