PDA

View Full Version : Planned Resorts

iceicebritney
06-09-2007, 08:54 PM
so whatever happend to the ideas for the so called "Venetian Resort" later planned to be built as "The Mediterrainian Resort" with many other names here after? i've heard so much talk from monorail drivers, disney ticket takers, bus drivers, and CMs of all kinds about this space between the TTC and Contemporary Resort. Before Tower of Terror was built i was even told that that area was going to be used to construct a haunted hotel there to be on the monorail line.

i know all of this is just CM banter and probably just rumors and more rumors like a game of telephone... but what do you all think about that area for development? i mean i heard they said that the ground wasn't stable enough to build a hotel on there.. but why would that area be any less stable than that of the GF, POLY and TTC ground... and lets not forget the CONTEMPORARY land where we constantly hear about how its "sinking". I mean it is florida afterall... stable building ground is a problem all over the state being so close to sea level....

just curious what ya'll think:mickey:

DizneyRox
06-09-2007, 10:00 PM
I think that it was an idea when it was just MK, but not that there are 3 other parks, and there is a need to get resorts around those other parks as well. Now that they have built too many rooms on property, the chances of them spending money on a resort right next to 5 others (Poly, GF, Contemporary, WL and FW) makes the chances of doing that slim to nil. MK has too many resorts right now.

I think we'll see what happens with the build out of DVC, that's probably the only chance of us seeing a resort on that property.

cgriff
06-10-2007, 12:30 PM
WDI was quite well along in the plans to build the "Venetian" or "Mediterranean" Resort (there were also plans for a Persian and Thai themed resort properties), they had even cleared an area along Seven Seas Lagoon for the footprint of the resort. They drove test pilings into the ground, the kind of which would serve as the underground supports for the hotel buildings, and lo-and-behold they sunk down into the lake and disappeared. Even though this would have made for a very authentic Venetian effect, it wasn't what Disney really had in mind! (They wanted the illusion of a hotel that was sunken below water level, not an actual sinking hotel!) The ground between the TTC and the CR is just too soggy and unstable to support the planned structures, without doing some major (and majorly expensive) reclamation.

That is the way I understand it at least.

cgriff

DizneyFreak2002
06-10-2007, 01:14 PM
The only new resorts being built is the DVC section of the Contemporary, as well as the DVC section of Animal Kingdom Lodge... A tour guide at the DVC confirmed to me that Contemporary is next for DVC, and there is another resort in the talks for WDW to get DVC as well, but, he couldn't say which resort, only because it is in the talking stages and wouldn't be announced until 2010...

iceicebritney
06-10-2007, 04:20 PM
well maybe they wont use the area between the contemporary and TTC for future development of resorts... but like mentioned above there is a need for resorts around the other parks... animal kingdom for example. there isn't much around that resort except for the values, coronado, and AKL... what do you think about future resorts around that park being developed? do you think that there is a possiblitiy that maybe the THAI or ASIAN themed resort (as mentioned above) that were planned previously could relocated to the area around AK?

DizneyRox
06-10-2007, 04:36 PM
... but like mentioned above there is a need for resorts around the other parks... animal kingdom for example. there isn't much around that resort except for the values, coronado, and AKL... what do you think about future resorts around that park being developed?
I also mention that they have now have too many hotel rooms, so building more isn't a good idea, no matter where they are.

The reason DVC is being built out is that they get money from the sales, then they get their money form the dues, and then they can also sell those rooms when not in use for cash, so there is little risk in them losing money on DVC properties. One a hotel room in a normal resort goes empty for a night, that money is never to be seen again. For a DVC property to sit empty for a night, that's OK, they already got paid for that anyway.

While the point system seems very flexible, I wouldn't be surprised to see many times where points just fall through the cracks. That's money in Disney's pockets. You are still getting a bill for dues, and you ARE paying for those as part of your contract.

DVC is really what Disney is interested in right now... Not new resorts...

LudwigVonDrake
06-10-2007, 05:32 PM
WDI was quite well along in the plans to build the "Venetian" or "Mediterranean" Resort (there were also plans for a Persian and Thai themed resort properties), they had even cleared an area along Seven Seas Lagoon for the footprint of the resort. They drove test pilings into the ground, the kind of which would serve as the underground supports for the hotel buildings, and lo-and-behold they sunk down into the lake and disappeared. Even though this would have made for a very authentic Venetian effect, it wasn't what Disney really had in mind! (They wanted the illusion of a hotel that was sunken below water level, not an actual sinking hotel!) The ground between the TTC and the CR is just too soggy and unstable to support the planned structures, without doing some major (and majorly expensive) reclamation.

That is the way I understand it at least.

cgriff

That's what I had read as well.

cgriff
06-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Wow, Ludwig, 1000 posts! :congrats:

There is some pretty neat concept artwork around on the internet for the Thai and Persian and Venetian resorts. They would have been grand!

cgriff

dudeman1975
06-10-2007, 07:54 PM
I remember staying in the Contemporary wings and there was a map above the day bed, that showed the MK and the monorial and all the planned resorts as well. The map had a picture of a couple hotels which we did not know what they were. One in fact looked like the Taj Mahal. Did anyone else remember this?

Figment!
06-10-2007, 08:17 PM
One in fact looked like the Taj Mahal. Did anyone else remember this?That would be "The Persian", planned along side "The Venetian" and the "The Asian" to round out The Contemporary and the Polynesian Village as the Seven Seas Lagoon resorts.

ariel03
06-10-2007, 08:25 PM
:soapbox: COME ON DISNEY FINISH POP CENTURY LEGENDARY YEARS ALREADY! :blush:

dudeman1975
06-11-2007, 06:04 AM
That would be "The Persian", planned along side "The Venetian" and the "The Asian" to round out The Contemporary and the Polynesian Village as the Seven Seas Lagoon resorts.

I always wondered what the hotel was, thank you for the information.

PeterPan
06-12-2007, 12:18 AM
The Mediterranean was COMPLETELY designed in every detail. I saw not only the architectural renderings, but MODELS of the resort. This is the one that was going to be on the land between the TTC and the Contemporary. It was all white, really kind of looked like sand dunes - very modern and sleek. As different as the other three Monorail Hotels are from one another, this was also totally different. Very classy. Of course, those designs are still floating around WDI, and may be reincarnated in some way some day in some place.

iceicebritney
06-12-2007, 11:05 AM
i think there's always a need for new resorts... what we love most about disney is resort hopping & visiting them all. its great to try their restaurants, hang out at their bars and try there signature drinks.

so no one knows about any planned/rumored resorts other than the DVC additions? i have no interest in DVC.

LaDracul
06-12-2007, 11:34 AM
:soapbox: COME ON DISNEY FINISH POP CENTURY LEGENDARY YEARS ALREADY! :blush:

I second that!

Anyway, I thought that one based on the hotel in Traverse Town from "Kingdom Hearts" would be cool-

Main Building-Old English Building, with ample convention area
Yellow Building-Safari
Blue Building-Undersea
Red Building-China
Green Building-Country Inn

Pools-Atlantica themed pool, Monstro kiddie pool, Demyx fountain