PDA

View Full Version : Why do people kep saying that SGE is so bad!?

Jakk
06-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Okay I keep hearing people say that SGE is bad but seriously it's not that bad. Sure the story isn't that good, and dosn't really make sence but all in all it isn't THAT BAD. :stitch2:

Someone on a diffrent forum posted about the experience on SGE and I can't stop agreeing with that person. It's a long read, so here ya go:

First of all, I am a huge Alien Encounter fanatic. I own every piece of merchandise associated with the attraction and it is one the things I miss most in life, such as Horizons and Dreamflight. I was saddened greatly by it's passing and went to one of the last shows where I gave a standing ovation. Having said that, myself and Djali999, of this same forum, attended previews for the first time 3 days ago. We both were very skeptical and afraid about what we would soon witness. We chanted, "Please don't let it be bad as we waited to go into the building.

The first preshow video did not help much as it contained some of the most ridiculous dialogue ever uttered in a Disney attraction. The animation also wasn't too impressive. We entered the second preshow and got our first look at Skippy and Sergeant Richard Kind. The whole preshow served no purpose and we were soon warned of the arrival of Stitch and herded into the main show room. At this point we had already had several moments where we turned to each other in utter disbelief of what was unfolding.

The main show was just as baffling, albeit eventful. However, the special effects immediately impressed both of us. The main show incorporated several effects that were attempted in AE but never worked until now. It is clear that the main show had a lot of money and thought put into it. When we exited, all we could agree on was that we just went on one of the most amazingly random attractions ever. Joining the ranks of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh in DL and Buzz Lightyear's AstroBlasters in TDL. We both immediately called friends and family to discuss the attraction and spent all of lunch, Mansion, and Pirates discussing it. It soon became apparent that we didn't know what to make of it but one thing was clear, we had to go on it again.

This second time through we found the first preshow hysterically entertaining. It is very brisk, easy for a two year old to understand, and accomplishes nothing except spouting dialogue and gags that produce a varied reaction in the audience. It is not entirely successful but it effectively lays the groundwork for the main show in a very short time period. It also establishes the silly and irreverent tone to follow.

Preshow number 2 is entirely different from its AE counterpart, tonally and technically. The Sarge is not merely S.I.R. with a new hat and pillow on his stomach. He far outpaces the (still impressive) S.I.R. animatronic in many respects. Skippy is mainly decoration, however even that figure has been spruced up and his noises are a pleasing reminder of AE. It's also nice to be able to admire him without afterward having to witness his murder. The other felon alien that occupies the second tube is amazingly expressive and fluid even in the short duration of his role.

Djali and myself believe that those who dislike the attraction came to that conclusion during this preshow, which is understandable, as it serves no apparent purpose. Many children who begin screaming on this attraction begin to do so at the conclusion of the preshow. There is a lot of panic, flashing lights, and loud shouting in the last few minutes of the preshow. Up to this point there has been absolutely no mention of Stitch other than the fact that a "level 3" prisoner is on the way. This worries many young children as they have no way of knowing that this "level 3" is in fact Stitch. Unlike AE, everything up to Stitch being teleported in is on a "timer" and the feel of being rushed is very effective. This is why children are frightened of this attraction going into the main show.

The main show is a textbook example of what imagineering can do given free reign and proper funding. It?s practically impossible for you to remember that you are watching an animatronic figure on the podium. Stitch is the BEST figure that imagineering has ever done, including Lucky the Dinosaur, Wicked Witch ala GMR, and Hopper from DCA. He moves every bit as fluidly as the figures in Sinbad at TDS. He is the pinnacle of imagineering art as it stands today. So are the plasma cannons. So are the lighting effects. So are the tactile effects. We would go as far to say that the main chamber of this attraction is as visually detailed, technically inventive, and genuinely delightful as the crown jewels of the imagineering enterprise; Pirates, Mansion, Indy, Tower, Splash. In fact it is so rich in visual effects that many fly by so quickly, they barely register the first several times. Djali and I agree that the attraction is so dense that there is no way that anyone can form a concrete opinion based one viewing alone.

It is understandable that people are reacting badly to this attraction. We reacted badly to it the first time as well. In fact several of these posts bring up valid points about the attraction. No, it does not go anywhere. Yes, it has no ending. Yes, it is difficult to latch on to the tone the first go through (something that imagineering usually excels at). But, the attraction deserves more serious consideration than many are going to give it. We cannot stop talking about this attraction. We also can?t stop riding it either. Collectively, we have ridden it 10 times in 2 days. We will frantically phone one another with any and all updates regarding its preview schedule in hopes of more rides.

We believe that the attraction is not centered around a main ?forward thrust? but that its many delightful charms are in small moments and gags. The Sarge is so bored with his job that he talks to his wife on the phone and impatiently mimics the computer countdown to teleportation on his fingers. When notified of the incoming level 3, all three figures in the preshow momentarily flail about in panic. During a power failure, the plasma cannons droop limply, swinging back and forth (remember- these are huge and dangerous animated props that in several moments are only a few feet above guest's heads. The view from below them is heart stopping).

Stitch cheerily waves good-bye as he is teleported away. His announcement of Meega Na La Kreesta early in the show is intentionally hilariously over the top, complete with flashing lights and rising smoke. We find that to be one of the highlights of the attraction. After Gantu leaves the guests alone with Stitch, you are witness to among the most beautiful three-dimensional character animation ever attempted as he taunts the plasma cannons.

We have other favorite moments as well but it would be frankly too exhaustive to list them all here. Stitchs Great Escape, for the two of us, generates more genuine delight than many of the other attractions on property. Its re-watchability eclipses that of Mission: Space.

It is true that you may not share our unique sense of humor and it is true that in many areas the attraction can be a bit rocky. The bouncing restraint effect is not as effectively used as it was in AE and the effect is somewhat botched as a result. The on screen animation can be awkward and it was foolish of Disney to not take this attraction into consideration when they dissolved the traditional animation department, but we are not going to open that can of worms. But, the attraction is wise in that it does not attempt to do what AE did so effectively. Its a whole different bird. Or alien. Pun. It succeeds at what it set out to do, which is utter chaos. And it grows on you in kind of a funny way.

It is disconcerting that many people are calling this attraction out without having given it a fair chance. It is certainly not Alien Encounter and it is certainly not what many people probably expect, casual tourists and aficionados alike. It is a bold attraction in that it has enough faith in itself and it?s creators to not stop for a second as it rockets you through its illogical and insane universe. This can be viewed as a handicap but we view it as an unexpected but welcome surprise. At least in that way it is remarkably similar to Chris Sanders film on which it was based.

It does not dumb down nor take away the edge of what the space was designed to be used for. Neither does it go to the extreme of cuteness or zaniness. Its just about right. As much as imagineering was touting a more friendly take on the attraction the simple fact remains that Disney attractions DO frighten children, HAVE frightened children, and will CONTINUE to frighten children. Everyone reacts to things differently, children included. Imagineering was in a no win situation short of gutting the building. Those children that react badly appear to be in the minority. We heard one young boy say Stitch in total amazement when the figure appeared. Reactions like that remind us what Disney magic actually means. It must be noted that every time we went through the attraction the crowd reacted increasingly well suggesting repeat visitors.

It is way too early to close the book on this attraction. It deserves consideration and is not going anywhere anytime soon. With all the opinions being expressed on this board, Djali and I feel that, considering ourselves two hard won fans, we would simply like to make the other opinion known. You do not have to agree with us but we have been writing this thing for 90 minutes now so its evident that we feel strongly about this attraction.

So does this make you feel diffrently about this attraction? :mickey:

DizneyRox
06-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Okay I keep hearing people say that SGE is bad but seriously it's not that bad. Sure the story isn't that good, and dosn't really make sence but all in all it isn't THAT BAD. :stitch2:

So does this make you feel diffrently about this attraction? :mickey:
No, it's still a piece of garbage IMHO. I'm not sure how they spent, lunch, Pirates AND HM time discussing the complexities of the attraction. I was done shortly before leaving the gift shop.

I reluctantly went on it a second and third time and couldn't believe that I tried it. Unfortunately many of the shows at WDW have little in terms of reridability. I consider SGE and AE a show, much like Beauty and the Beast, and Voyage of the Little Mermaid. The story is not complex, it's full of holes, and the holes get bigger and bigger the more you ride. I'll admit I felt, maybe I'm missing something after the first ride, that couldn't have been it. However it was...

I think the space is best used for something else. AE wasn't one of my favorites, and I seldom made a point of riding it, so I'm not one to say bring back AE, but please get rid of SGE. I think even a meet and greet would be time better spent.

Tinkerfreak
06-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Is it my favorite ride in MK no but I would not say I don't like it. We always do it and get a kick out of it. Expecially when we took my 19 year old niece on it for the first time in Dec. She was freaking out when they put the shoulder bars down because she thought we were going to move or something. I think it is better the first time you do it because you have the element of surprise and the don't know what to expect.

SBETigg
06-09-2007, 04:59 PM
I disagree with the article and I think the writer has entirely too much time on his hands. I'll grant that the animatronics of the attraction are really well done, but animatronics alone do not make a whole attraction engaging and worthwhile. The story fails midway, or before, and the big finale- Stitch's actual escape- is so poorly concieved and carried out that many guests leave simply shaking their heads. The effects are not that well done and it is very easy to remember that you are sitting still waiting for something to unfold that eventually just fizzles. It feels like one big cheap shot at the expense of the guests to me. It just does not work. For me. But feel free to go and enjoy.

Marker
06-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Whether or not I like an attaction has absolutely NOTHING to do with what ANYONE else says about it. If I like it, I like it. And if I don't like it, then I don't.

Some folks seem to like to expound upon how aweful some things are. They'd like others to believe that theirs is the ultimate and absolute opinion, and that any opinion other than their own is not only wrong, but the result of a deranged or deficient mind.

As for SGE, I enjoy it. No, it's not as "intense" at it was when it was Alien Encounter, but it's still fun. In it current form, it is now much more appealing to younger folks, that tends to makes me like it even more. But then that's just my opinion, no more, no less. If others agree, fine. If they don't agree, well they're opinon is just a valid. Different people have different tastes.

The only way to truely tell for yourself if you like any attraction, or anything at all, is to try it yourself and form your own opinion.

LudwigVonDrake
06-09-2007, 05:20 PM
I went on it once and will not go back. It's horrible. The story line is stupid. I won't be one of those people who want them to put Alien Encounter back in that spot because realistically that's not happening. I hope someday they put something in there that's worth revisiting :mickey:

Jared
06-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Why would someone else's profound experience with Stitch's Great Escape! change my opinion? The attraction stinks and should be changed immediately.

After sitting through the show once, it was apparent that Disney put little time or thought into the fix. Stitch's Great Escape! is a product of timeliness, not quality.

Ayndi
06-09-2007, 06:01 PM
I won't ride it period. They are using the same horrid seat restraints as AE, which are the only ones that have ever hurt me at WDW.

Morpheous
06-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Well, Regardless of the fact that so many people like to bash it and want it replaced. I love it :) It is definatly in my top 5 must see things in the MK. Marker is right though, for you the only oppinion that should matter is yours :)

As for all the people complaining for it to be replaced right away I dont see it happening. Last time I went the attraction always had a line and was pretty much always full. The only time Ive seen an attraction at a disney park go poof very quickly after being built was the Rocket Rods at disneyland, which were actually really popular.. but poorly designed and costed a forture in maintenence. Fortunatly SGE isnt like that at all :).

I don't mind being in the minority though as far as loving the ride goes.

PirateLover
06-09-2007, 06:40 PM
If you place your hands under the uncomfortable shoulder restraints to prevent them from crushing your shoulders and keep them there for the duration of the attraction (in defense of the "bouncing" sequence) only removing them to cover your mouth when Stitch burps in your face I guess it's not THAT bad of a ride....:mickey:

Ayndi
06-09-2007, 06:56 PM
If you place your hands under the uncomfortable shoulder restraints to prevent them from crushing your shoulders and keep them there for the duration of the attraction (in defense of the "bouncing" sequence) only removing them to cover your mouth when Stitch burps in your face I guess it's not THAT bad of a ride....:mickey:

Oh yeah, THAT sounds like fun. LOL.

:funny:

BronxTigger
06-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Oh yeah, THAT sounds like fun. LOL.

:funny:

Actually, holding the restraints up at the beginning when they are initially lowered works very well to keep them from hurting you. The first time I rode this, I didn't know they will bounce and push down on your shoulders during the ride. So, every time after that, I have sat WAY up so they stop a bit above my shoulders, or hold them up. That way, they don't crush me, and I don't have to hold them them whole ride either.

ryca1dreams
06-09-2007, 11:48 PM
After "riding" AE and SGE, I wished they had just left Mission to Mars up. Maybe I'm just old school...

LibertyTreeGal
06-10-2007, 09:56 AM
To me, it is just not "Disney magic" -- to go there completely gets me out of the Disney state of mind....

Llamaface23
06-10-2007, 10:07 AM
I won't ride it period. They are using the same horrid seat restraints as AE, which are the only ones that have ever hurt me at WDW.

Ditto. I go to WDW to have a great, carefree time--not to physically hurt myself!

Lizzie
06-10-2007, 11:36 AM
I really like this ride but I am a big fan of Stitch.

TiggerRPh
06-10-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't think it's that bad either....it's not great but my kids like it and it is funny.

Donald A
06-10-2007, 04:39 PM
It isn't that bad but isn't that good either. I think they could come up with something better for that space.

DDuck66
06-11-2007, 09:06 AM
We usually ride it, but it is not a show that I would spend 30 minutes waiting to see. If the line is 5 minutes or under we usually try and catch it. It neither turns me off nor excites me. It is just okay.

Pocahontas
06-11-2007, 10:54 AM
My family and I absolutely loved Alien Encounter the first time we went on it, but after that it was just so-so. Probably because we knew what to expect and it no longer held the scare factor. Stitch on the other hand children could keep enjoying over and over. I didn't care for it, but the kids seemed to enjoy it.

Ian
06-11-2007, 11:11 AM
I think it's one of the worst attractions Imagineering has ever done ... right up there with JIYI and the New Tiki Room.

The story is disjointed, rushed feeling, and full of holes. It's so obvious that it was done as a quick and dirty overlay of AE just to turn a quick buck on the (mercifully short) Stitch craze.

It was also done during Imagineering's "Gee Let's Torture the Guests They'll Really Love That" phase which brought us gems like Stitch's nasty hot dog breath, the skunk smell on JIYI, and the abuse heaped on poor, unsuspecting audiences during ITTBAB.

My DD likes it (she's five and doesn't know any better), so we'll normally grit our teeth and take her on it once a trip. Outside of that, I'd be thrilled if they bulldozed the entire thing tomorrow and started over again.

Actually, strike that ... I'd be thrilled anyway. The whole thing is a disaster ... my DD would get over its loss quickly.

DizneyRox
06-11-2007, 12:31 PM
I think it's one of the worst attractions Imagineering has ever done ... right up there with JIYI and the New Tiki Room.

The story is disjointed, rushed feeling, and full of holes. It's so obvious that it was done as a quick and dirty overlay of AE just to turn a quick buck on the (mercifully short) Stitch craze.

It was also done during Imagineering's "Gee Let's Torture the Guests They'll Really Love That" phase which brought us gems like Stitch's nasty hot dog breath, the skunk smell on JIYI, and the abuse heaped on poor, unsuspecting audiences during ITTBAB.

My DD likes it (she's five and doesn't know any better), so we'll normally grit our teeth and take her on it once a trip. Outside of that, I'd be thrilled if they bulldozed the entire thing tomorrow and started over again.

Actually, strike that ... I'd be thrilled anyway. The whole thing is a disaster ... my DD would get over its loss quickly.
Awww Comon! You think we can't tell when you're sugar coating things?

SurferStitch
06-11-2007, 12:55 PM
You know, that article doesn't change my mind at all....

:stitch2:I STILL LOVE SGE!!!!!:stitch2:

SGE is the first thing we do at MK on our first day at WDW, and the last thing we do on our last day. We also slip in a few more times during our entire visit, too.

By the way....Restraints are quite comfortable if you follow the directions that are clearly stated before the show starts. We've never had a problem with them. Once they hit your shoulders, and you DON'T slouch, they pop back up and stay about and inch or so above your shoulders (except when they are bouncing down lightly on you).

Only 178 days to go!!! :stitch:

Figment78
06-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Personally I love SGE! I just do. I know others don't but I think it's fun! I liked Alien (I don't mind being a little scared), but I think Stitch is adorable so I don't mind the change.

I try to keep an open mind about change when it comes to Disney because they will never stop making changes so why should I get worked up over it.... In fact, Disney vacations have taught me a lot in that respect. For every one change that isn't in my preference (like the new Figment ride), there are many more changes that I love (like Wishes).

"Cinderella... your prince is here!" So hysterical!