PDA

View Full Version : Pickpockets In Med Cruise Ports

Dare To Dream
06-08-2007, 08:56 PM
I don't mean to post a negative topic, but I heard from a travel agent today that folks sailing in the Med on the Magic have had a huge problem with pickpockets and that some guests were also mugged.

Yes, I understand that these are big cities with crime. But the pickpockets in Europe operate a little differently than in our big cities. I understand not to carry money in pockets, carry only copies of our passports, no flashy jewelry, use neck or waist wallets, never be alone, etc. As we are sailing on the 11 night in a month, I want to enjoy my trip and understand the enviroment as best as I can. I would do no differently going to the Big Apple or any other big city here in the US.

Does anyone know where the pickpocketing occured? Was it on excursions? Were guests travelling on their own? Was it more prevalent in some places more than others?

And, most importantly, what did folks find as good deterrants? My DH bought me a beautiful camera and lenses for this trip - but I don't want them to become a liabilty.

I really just want to understand what folks who have sailed on the Magic in the Med this summer have experienced. The better prepared I am - the better time we will have.