PDA

View Full Version : I Quit!

grumpycajun
06-08-2007, 05:31 PM
I just had to crow about it a little. I quit smoking cigarettes! It's been a few months now, so think I'm over the hump. I still want to have one on occasion, but the cravings are less frequent and not severe enough to bother me much. I love the fact that I'm not setting a bad example for DS and DD any longer and it sure feels good to smell and taste things again. I don't miss the "morning coughing fit", either. No more looking for the designated smoking areas in the parks or at the resorts. Cool! I get to find out what that's like in a few more weeks.:cloud9:

baby minnie's mommy
06-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Way to go!!! :thumbsup: And I hope your upcoming trip is extra special! :pixie:

Wayne
06-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Good for you!:thumbsup:

January-2007
06-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Wow, way to go, that's great!!

alpro2
06-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Congrats Keven and keep up the good work! It is the best thing for you and your family! :thumbsup:

MMouse6937
06-08-2007, 05:56 PM
WOO HOO :congrats: That's excellent!!

Here's to enjoying WDW smoke free!

Have a great time!

maizey05
06-08-2007, 06:48 PM
You rock! Be proud of yourself. You're right, you've set a great example for your kids.

RedSoxFan
06-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Congrats. That's Awesome!!:thumbsup:

Tinkerfreak
06-08-2007, 07:22 PM
:beer:Here's to getting your life back!!!!! Good for you.

DREAMADREAM93
06-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Congrats! Wanna teach my dad!? :secret:

JOrdan :]

disneyfan369
06-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Congratulations!! I hope you and your family have a great trip!

ElenitaB
06-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Congratulations! That is GREAT! :notworth:

Caroleh
06-08-2007, 07:27 PM
:congrats:Keven!!!!! That is fantastic!!! What a way to celebrate at WDW!!:thumbsup:

Marilyn Michetti
06-08-2007, 07:43 PM
WAY TO GO !!!:thumbsup:

I quit ten years ago, and now the only time I cough, is when I speak of my (cough, cough) age! Not only will you feel better and better, but at $50 a carton, one pack a day, that's $150 a month, or $1800 a year. That's a week in a deluxe, plus some change.:D

I agree, also, that it will be wonderful not to have to vacation with one eye looking for a legal spot.:cloud9:

Pat yourself on the back for me.:mickey:

Tink-N-Me
06-08-2007, 08:00 PM
:cheer: Woo! Woo! Way to go!

LibertyTreeGal
06-08-2007, 08:23 PM
YEAH -- good for you!

jennbunn
06-09-2007, 01:10 AM
good for you!!!! keep it up!!!! :)

Dsnygirl
06-09-2007, 02:30 AM
:thumbsup: Way to go! That's awesome... keep it up, you'll be so glad you did!! :thumbsup:

disneydeb
06-09-2007, 07:12 AM
AWESOME!! That is the best news I've heard today! Put that money you are saving in a jar for about a month and then splurge of something for yourself as a reward!

conorsmom2000
06-09-2007, 08:17 AM
:congrats: That's wonderful news!! Quitting smoking is a huge accomplishment and you should be very proud of yourself! One tip I once got was to make a list (like you wrote in your post) of why I quit and all the things I love about being smoke free - then, when you do get a craving or are having a bad moment, you can just look at that list and focus on all the positives in your life now, not the craving!

Congrats!!!! :thumbsup: :mickey:

bleukarma
06-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Woohooo!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!! Think about what you can buy at Disney with all the extra money you are saving!!!

The Bookseller
06-09-2007, 10:32 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Congrats!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Quitting smoking is hard to do but I can tell that you are giving a solid example for your child.

A fun thing; now that you have no need for smokes, what about putting the money you are saving from your cigarette abuse into a WDW fund? What a best way to give yourself a reward! ;)

Christine
06-09-2007, 10:38 PM
That is absolutely wonderful!!! I am so happy for you! Enjoy your trip...you really deserve it!!

Riri529
06-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Good for you. I know how hard it is to resist those cravings. Keep it up!:thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
06-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Good for you!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I quit 18 years ago and although it's hard you are setting a great example for your kids.
You should be so proud of yourself:mickey:

Here we go again...
06-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Congratulations!!!!:thumbsup:
I am so proud of you. Please do not give into the cravings. I quit 14 years ago and there are still many times that I think about a cigarette... It was hard to have a drink for the first year. You know the habit, get a beer, light a cigarette. I did not even know my car would start without a cigarette in my hand!

You have made a very hard, but very smart decision. I am proud of you. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

conorsmom2000
06-10-2007, 12:09 PM
I did not even know my car would start without a cigarette in my hand!

Angel, as an ex-smoker that made me laugh, though in a sad kind of way, because that so used to be me! I am very happy that my new Pilot still has the new car smell, and not a yucky cigarette smell!! :thumbsup:

JPL
06-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Any good advice for those of us trying to quit :blush: Stress and trying quit just don't seem to be working well for me :mad:

Namine'
06-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Great job!!!!! I know it was hard. Keep it up for you and your family:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

mtown71
06-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Way to go!!!!!! That is wonderful! Hang in there. Just think how much money you are saving & will now be able to spend it in WDW! :mickey: Also, think how much better you will feel every month that you don't smoke!:)

conorsmom2000
06-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Any good advice for those of us trying to quit :blush: Stress and trying quit just don't seem to be working well for me :mad:
Jeff, just remember - non-smokers and ex-smokers have the same kind of stress, but they manage it without a cigarette. A cigarette may seem to relieve some of that stress, probably because your actually slowing down, taking a break and doing something for yourself that mentally makes you feel better - so, you still need to do that for yourself, just replace what you do with something healthier. Smoking also is a cause of stress too, though (where are my cigs, when can I have one, etc....) So, when you quit, you are actually getting rid of that stress.

Quitting smoking is also stressful in itself, so if you've already got stress in your life, it's a double whammy. Just remind yourself that smoking won't make the stress go away. It doesn't make us happier, fix our problems, earn us money, etc. - it does the complete opposite of all that!

My best tip is to read "the Easy way to quit smoking" by Allen Carr - not a preachy type book at all, but really it's just a lot of truths and realizations from a former smoker (former heavy smoker - like 4 packs a day!!) It was excellent.

Aside from that, water, walking, hard candy and keeping BUSY, especially by going to places where you can't smoke anyway. Be kind to yourself - quitting smoking is so hard, but so worth it, but you need to treat yourself nicely while going through it. Google quitting smoking - tons of great resources out there to help you quit - I have a whole bunch of sites that I could send you.

I did use the patch to quit and it was a life saver - totally took the edge off for me and gave me time to figure out how to break the habit, then deal with going without the nicotine. But, I swear it's the habit that's harder to break - you know, smoke breaks while working, a cig in the car, going outside with other smokers, etc.

Anyway, these are just my ramblings - if you need anything else, let me know!! You are doing the best thing in the world for yourself, your health and others around you! Be proud and best of luck to you!! :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
06-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Congrats

mrsgaribaldi
06-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Congratulations:thumbsup:

Nov will be 10 years for me and I still crave one now and then. :pixie::pixie::pixie:for your continued success:mickey:

DizNee143
06-11-2007, 09:31 AM
YaY!! Congrats!! that is great...
i quit back in January...and i have to say it was much easier than i thought it was gonna be...at least it was for me!! :mickey:

KODABEAR
06-15-2007, 04:18 AM
:thumbsup::congrats::clappy::dance::cheer: GREAT FOR YOU!!!

Kairi_7378
06-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Congratulations on your accomplishment. Your kids will thank you for your good example (and your good health) someday.

Lorraine444
06-17-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm hoping the Magical World Of Disney will help me quit on my trip in August.
With the designated smoking areas in the Resorts, I may just say the heck with it!
Thinking about starting the patch before I leave but not sure if I'll get sick or something from it.
Oh I hope, I hope, I hope*********

grumpycajun
06-18-2007, 10:42 AM
I want to thank everyone for their kind congratulations and encouragement. I should have done this a long time ago. I just kept waiting for "the right time", whatever that is.

Lorraine444 and anyone else out there that's considering quitting, YOU CAN DO IT! Think about this... How stubborn are you about making sure you aren't going to run out of smokes. If you're sitting at home and realize you forgot to pick some up - don't you run to the store to get some? Even of it's getting late and you thought you were all settled in for the night? I normally would have! Ever dig the butts out of the ashtray and re-light them so you could get a few drags? I did. Ever knock on a neighbor's door to "bum a butt"? Now, imagine if you spend that much effort quitting. When you put them down and you start to get that craving, get downright mad! But, not at yourself or at others around you. Get mad at the cigarettes. Think about how much you hate them. Think about what they do to you. Refuse to give them power over you. You CAN get over the first couple of days and then the physical grip will be broken. After that you're on your way! Don't wait. GO FOR IT! You can do it!

BigDisneyDad
06-18-2007, 12:53 PM
:congrats:

That's awesome!! Keep it up and never look back!

I quit recently myself. I've been smoke free since May 12th of this year. So far so good!!