PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with shingles in children

Jenemmy
06-08-2007, 01:08 PM
ACK! My DS11 was a bit sick the last two days and yesterday developed a painful rash on his forehead. This morning, it had creeped down to his eyebrow and the Dr said he had shingles!! You could have knocked me over! Naturally, we picked up meds on the way home and got him started on them.

The Dr told me that if the rash got down to the end of his nose, that we would need to see a neurologist. I am not an alarmist type, but this has me freaked a bit. Any experiences with this -- anyone?? He said it would be quite rare and probably wouldn't happen, but to watch for it all the same.

SBETigg
06-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Wow, Jen! I'm shocked, too. I thought older people got Shingles. I have no idea what is done for them, but best wishes for your son to feel better soon.

mreinventtt
06-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Hi, My daughter had shingles when she was 7 or 8. That is a form of chicken pox. It was very wierd too because I thought it was poison. It is very painful. She had it on her stomach and it wrapped around her side. I took her to the Dr. and they were suprised beacause they said normally elderly people get it. But she had it for about 2 weeks. Hope your son feels better soon. Take care.
Missy

DREAMADREAM93
06-08-2007, 01:47 PM
My grandmother recently got shingles and they said it will be about 6 months before it goes away. I am pretty sure that in the rare case a child gets it, the recovery time isn't near as long. I know it must be very painful so here's some :magic::wishes::pixie:.

I hope your DS gets better soon!

JOrdan :]

sgdisney
06-08-2007, 02:00 PM
My DH had shingles when he was 52, and I thought that was young! I've never heard of a child having them either. Hopefully they recover quicker than adults. Here's some pixie dust for a quick recovery!:pixie:

grumpycajun
06-08-2007, 05:40 PM
I had them a few years back and they are no fun at all. The good news is that it took me no where near six months to get rid of them. The medication the doctor prescribed worked well and pretty quickly. A few weeks and it was mostly gone. Hope your son gets rid of them soon. :pixie:

ElenitaB
06-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Wow, Jen! I'm shocked, too. I thought older people got Shingles. I have no idea what is done for them, but best wishes for your son to feel better soon.
Older people as in their mid-50s? I just found out yesterday that my older (and wiser as he always tells me) brother was just diagnosed with shingles. His doctor told him that once you've had chicken pox, it remains with you for the rest of the life. His had crept into his right eye and had it gotten it worse, the dr said it would affect his cornea. :( The shingles is a form of herpes and can be brought on by stress (guess why us older folks get it more than young'uns). I was going to go out on the internet to dig up info, but you all have satisfied my curiosity.

:pixie: to your daughter for a quick recovery.

scrappy
06-08-2007, 07:32 PM
:pixie: for you and your son! I've heard they can be quite painful.

Out of curiosity, did your son receive the chickenpox vaccine? My son did, and I continue to second guess this decision. Now that we're exposing our children to the chickenpox virus at such a young age, perhaps they may be more prone to get shingles at a young age also :confused:

Either way, I hope the medicine is effective and he recovers quickly :pixie:

Jenemmy
06-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks to all for your responses....I really appreciate it! He seems to be feeling pretty good tonight, but the area on his forehead has creeped down a bit further and it is still sore to the touch.

To answer Scrappy's question....He had the chicken pox when he was in kindergarten....they were really a non event for him. Maybe a dozen spots total and felt great the whole time. I remember thinking how easy the pox thing was! Guess paybacks really are heck, huh?

I have two other kids (9 and 2)had the pox, one has not. <SIGH> have to see where this adventure takes all of us.

Thanks again, guys --- Intercoters are the BEST:mickey:

jkj1224
06-08-2007, 10:59 PM
I had shingles when I was 11 or 12 it was pretty painful and felt a lot like a really bad case of poison ivy but as I recall once the meds kick in it felt much better, still wasn't pretty to look at and the itched for a long time. Hope your son is feeling better.

SBETigg
06-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Older people as in their mid-50s?

:pixie: to your daughter for a quick recovery.

I meant older people as in adults, not children, :blush: but I hope your brother feels better soon, too. My dad had shingles when he was just turning fifty and I remember that he complained a lot about the discomfort.

I have heard that milder chicken pox (vs. heavier) cases are more likely to result in Shingles later. My kids both had chicken pox but my doctor recommended they get the vaccine anyway. I wonder if this is why

shan-ash
06-09-2007, 09:26 AM
My daughter had a case of the shingles in the second grade as well. She was part of the kindergarten class that had to get the vaccine before entering school. The medicine given to her worked quickly and all she has left is a slight scar around her hip/thigh area were the rash was. Good luck with your son and :wishes::wishes:

MsMin
06-09-2007, 10:14 AM
I have heard that milder chicken pox (vs. heavier) cases are more likely to result in Shingles later. My kids both had chicken pox but my doctor recommended they get the vaccine anyway. I wonder if this is why
I think he wants to make sure they have enough antibodies against the disease. A titer would tell them but so unnecessary IMO. I know my O.B. said I had a severe case of Rubella when I was little, my titer was 19 and the scale went from 0-20. Don't remember the exact score but he said if your score wasn't high enough you could get it again.--Maybe this is what your dr is thinking??
My dr. told me I had the shingles when I was pregnant for my 3rd child. It was very itchy but I didn't have any pain. My other dd had the shingles @ 18months or so the drs. said. Two looked at her. She broke out when we were @ WDW. It followed a nerve on the face and by her eye. The ophthalmologist said we were very lucky it didn't go in her eye, he said it would make a fever blister in her eye. I guess this is what Ellen's brother is going through :(
Hope your son feels better soon. I didn't see it travel that much after the first few days.

Marilyn Michetti
06-10-2007, 02:47 AM
Oh my goodness - THAT'S AWFUL ! I never knew children could get them. I really hope it goes away soon.:ill:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-10-2007, 09:54 PM
I wonder if you take meds for Herpes Simplex such as Zovirax, Valtrex or Aceclover (sp?) does this prevent you from getting shingles?
Prayers and pixie dust that it doesn't spread any further and that your son feels better soon.:pixie::pixie::pixie:

Jenemmy
06-11-2007, 08:09 AM
I wonder if you take meds for Herpes Simplex such as Zovirax, Valtrex or Aceclover (sp?) does this prevent you from getting shingles?
Prayers and pixie dust that it doesn't spread any further and that your son feels better soon.:pixie::pixie::pixie:

Yes --- the put my son on Acyclovir for this, so I would assume it would prevent it from forming. Since going to the Dr on Friday -- I am happy to say that the spreading has stopped, it isn't looking as red or hurting him as much and -- so far -- has not formed blisters. YAY! He was prescribed 4 teaspoons, 4 times a day!

I so appreciate everyone's good wishes. This was new territory for me, and the last thing I ever considered one of my children getting! The only thing I have to think about now is if my 2 year old daughter will wind up with chicken pox from her big brother's shingles a few weeks from now.

minnie-mouse
06-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Yes, I had that when I was about 9 or 10 years old. A rash on back and painful. It went away fast with medicine. Has your son been extremely nervous or stressed about something. I remember the doctor saying to my Mom that it is brought on in a child when they endure stress or are extremely nervous.

offwego
06-19-2007, 12:14 PM
I so appreciate everyone's good wishes. This was new territory for me, and the last thing I ever considered one of my children getting! The only thing I have to think about now is if my 2 year old daughter will wind up with chicken pox from her big brother's shingles a few weeks from now.

My son got his chicken pox from an adult (in his 20's) friend with Shingles so it is possible. Hopefully your son will keep getting better!