PDA

View Full Version : if you were offered a free upgrade...?

k_reile
06-08-2007, 10:26 AM
At check in...if you are offered a free upgrade...is it really free? do you have to pay taxes on it like you would if you won something? Just checking before my trip just in case I am offered...depends on how much the upgrade is worth I do not know if I would want to spend taxes on it.

pox24
06-08-2007, 10:46 AM
We have been upgraded a few times and there were never any extra charges. It happened to us at the WL, GF and the CR. We asked at the CR and they said ok.

MMouse6937
06-08-2007, 11:02 AM
The whole point to an upgrade is it's supposed to be a surprise or something they do for you as a gesture or special benefit. You would not be charged unless you were to ask for an upgrade and they said that they had something available but it would be $X amount extra. We have never asked for an upgrade, but have been surprised with a closer room to the food court, or a castle view at the Poly when it was our honeymoon. That's what makes Disney so great, sometimes they surprise you with little things like this. :mickey:

jenperich
06-08-2007, 11:16 AM
How do you ask for one...what do you say? We're heading to POFQ in November, and I'd love a water-view, but I'm too cheap to pay for one. :-) But, I wouldn't mind asking for an upgrade if I knew the right words.

disneydoug
06-08-2007, 11:53 AM
I have never asked for an upgrade.
I am an annual passholder.
We have been there 48 times.
I have been given an upgrade 15-16 times.
It was usually off season.

Doug

LarryBoy
06-08-2007, 12:05 PM
We got updraded last December at the Contemporary. We were supposed to be in a Garden Wing and they put us in the tower. There were no extra charges at all, and the view was great. I think they usually upgrade people if they have overbooked the less expensive rooms.

MMouse6937
06-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Greg's right, it's normally on the off season when the resorts aren't filled to capactiy. People recommend if you are celebrating anything special during your visit to let the resort know, also it never hurts to ask when you get there if they have a water view available. Upgrades are never guaranteed and should never be expected, but can be a nice surprise. :)

CleveSJM
06-08-2007, 12:11 PM
How do you ask for one...what do you say? We're heading to POFQ in November, and I'd love a water-view, but I'm too cheap to pay for one. :-) But, I wouldn't mind asking for an upgrade if I knew the right words.

At check-in, you can say something like, "Is there any chance a complimentary room upgrade is available for my stay?" The CM will not take any offense.

TiggerRPh
06-08-2007, 12:15 PM

I have never asked for an upgrade and have gotten upgraded a few times.

Personally, I think asking is begging and I'd be less apt to grant it I was asked.

CleveSJM
06-08-2007, 12:35 PM
I have never asked for an upgrade and have gotten upgraded a few times.

Personally, I think asking is begging and I'd be less apt to grant it I was asked.

I was upgraded once at the WL and didn't ask. I think if it's available, they will apply it somewhat automatically.

That said, I completely disagree with the concept that asking is begging. Begging would be "Give me a complimentary upgrade." Borderline begging would be "Please give me a complimentary upgrade." Asking if an upgrade is possible when you know they do possibly exist is a fair question. I would think that any CM less apt to grant an available upgrade just because the CUSTOMER was asking if it was available would be on a serious power trip. Not impossible but improbable with Disney's great CM's.

Just my :twocents:...

ThanxForNoticin
06-09-2007, 07:58 AM
IThat said, I completely disagree with the concept that asking is begging. Begging would be "Give me a complimentary upgrade." Borderline begging would be "Please give me a complimentary upgrade." Asking if an upgrade is possible when you know they do possibly exist is a fair question. I would think that any CM less apt to grant an available upgrade just because the CUSTOMER was asking if it was available would be on a serious power trip. Not impossible but improbable with Disney's great CM's.

I agree. It certainly does not hurt to ask, if done in a polite and respectful manner. I think if you spoke with most CMs at Disney, they would tell you if there is anything they can do to make your trip more magical, just ask. I think asking for the possibility of an upgrade is just a potential opportunity for Disney to impress you. So I would recommend you ask at check-in, as long as you are prepared to accept 'no' as an answer!

mttafire
06-09-2007, 02:12 PM
We always ask for a FREE upgrade. Probably 40% of the time we GET it!!:thumbsup: It most certainly never hurts to ask. :mickey:

pixiegoose
06-09-2007, 04:31 PM
We were upgraded from a standard king room to a suite at CSR for honeymoon for free. We didn't ask for it, it was just given. I hope we get another complimentary upgrade of some sort on our September trip but I'd feel awkward asking for one, though we'll see what happens when check-in rolls around.

septembergirl
06-09-2007, 05:43 PM
As much as you are spending on a Disney vacation, what's the big deal about asking at check in for any available upgrade? If you get it, great! If not, you aren't going anywhere and you will more than likely come back again! If you are shelling out Disney vacation kind of cash - you ain't begging.

If you do get a free upgrade, then the next time you ome, you may be so spoiled with the extra luxury, you'd be willing to pay for it. Disney wins either way! If any hotel, not just Disney, hasn't filled a room for a night, they will most likely sell it at a discounted rate because they do not want rooms to sit empty.

Anytime we are traveling especially if we arrive at a hotel later in the evening), we always ask for a discounted rate or upgrade and usually get it!

kathiep
06-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Last fall, we were offered an upgrade simply because my DD who was 21 months at the time was in a really good mood and charmed the CM at check-in.

I'm sure it didn't hurt that it was off-season and we were probably among the first to check-in that day since it was only 8:30am!

This year, I am definately going to ask.

kakn7294
06-09-2007, 09:24 PM

You can also try this: ask if the upgrade room that you want is available and what the price difference would be. The CM can check for you and if they offer it for free, you can gratefully accept. Sometimes, they will offer the upgrade at a discounted price which may be to your liking. If it's still too expensive, you can politely decline, saying truthfully that it's more than you wanted to pay. Above all, when you ask, always remain polite and don't demand an upgrade or chances are you wont' get it for free!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-09-2007, 10:32 PM
If you don't ask you won't know. The worse they can do is say no. But as stated, be polite.

mnhockey
06-10-2007, 05:38 AM
Has anyone heard of or gotten an upgrade from POR to a deluxe resort