PDA

View Full Version : What is your first MK memory from your childhood?

disneydoug
06-08-2007, 07:30 AM
I am 44. I was there in 1973. I remember riding the tram and being so excited at the thought of seeing one of the characters. We got trapped inside of HM during an electrical storm. It was great! Doug

darthmacho
06-08-2007, 08:26 AM
:mickey: I was 27 when I took my first trip to WDW!

DDuck66
06-08-2007, 10:08 AM
I never got to go to WDW as a child, but when I was 5-6 , we did make it it DL. I can still see the image of Nemo's submarine in my mind today almost 35 years later.

beksy
06-08-2007, 10:09 AM
For me, my first memory was riding the carousel in MK with Mom and Dad. I thought it was the greatest thing in the world that we could all ride side by side! :thumbsup: Dumbo would rank as a close second. Definitely my favorite rides on that first trip when I was 4. For some reason the characters don't really stick out to me--maybe that's why I love finding them so much now at 25! :mickey:

indytraveler
06-08-2007, 10:20 AM
2 distinct memories.
1.) I remember being at "Lake Buena Vista" pre-DTD days, and seeing stuffed Mickey Mouse dolls all over the place. I was wondering what was going on here? We were 2 weeks early before the park officially opened.

2.) Next trip, (next year) I remember going with my Grandfather and parking at the Poly and walking thru the hotel to the elevator and right out to the platform for the monorail and walking up to the front car and getting in with the "driver" and seeing the Magic for the first time from up front on the monorail ride. I was 4 at the time and I was a happy camper.
P.S. my grandfather was a CM

gauvin4
06-08-2007, 10:22 AM
I was 28 before I made my first trip to WDW. I think I was more excited than my children. :blush: I have been hooked ever since!!:mickey:

vorwerk
06-08-2007, 10:52 AM
I remember we took a camper and stayed in Jelly Stone Park. I was 10, my sister 8 and my brother was 7. My Dad complained that the entry to Disney World cost 5 people $42 and back then you bought tickets for the rides sort of like of Carnival. We didn't get souvenirs in the park but on the way to Disney we stopped at all of these orange juice stands and shops and I bought a little white plastic Donald Duck purse. I think it might have cost $1.79 or so. Epcot wasn't finished yet, but we saw the old Magic Kingdom and Tomorrowland. It was great! I only remember seeing Mother Goose as a character though and I don't even think she's there anymore. Some memories of rides include the witch dropping something in our cart on the Snow White ride, the ghost in our cart in Haunted Mansion and I remember the blast off count down for Space Mountain. Oh, and I remember we took this walk to look at things from the future and we saw a bedroom scene where a teen-aged girl lay belly down on her bed talking on a cordless phone! I thought that was FAR OUT! We rode all of the rides that existed back then I think. I just got back from my 3rd trip and I was sad to see the 20,000 leagues under the sea sub is now gone. That was another great memory because my mom was really scared to go under the water. Can't wait to go back as a family! :mickey:

Diznee4Me
06-08-2007, 11:05 AM
I was about seven and my older cousin and I were standing in front of Space Mountain (this was about 1975) and he wanted him and I to ride it together. All he had to say was that it was a roller coaster and I went into hysterics. I was deathly afraid of RR's at the time and to see people going in SM and thinking once I went in the building I couldn't come out was enough to send me into shock!:D I didn't ride it and left my cousin on his own.

disneydoug
06-08-2007, 11:48 AM
great memories

Momof2boys
06-08-2007, 11:58 AM
I was in 8th grade for my first trip and we stayed over in Cocoa Beach. The day we were heading to MK I wanted to wear my Poison shirt that said Open Up and Say Ahhh with a icky guy with a long tongue on it. I fought with my mom for 2 hours because she said I was NOT wearing that to the Happiest Place on Earth. I finally changed & we went where I can remember riding Grand Prix Speedway - now Indy Speedway.

GrmGrninGost
06-08-2007, 06:32 PM
I am also 44. I made my first visit to WDW in 1975, at age 12. The two things that stick out in my memories are the castle and the 20,000 Leagues submarines!:mickey:

nel
06-08-2007, 06:38 PM
My very first happy memory was the "trimmed" trees in the form of characters you see riding the tram to Mk. I was 6-7 years old.

Tink-N-Me
06-08-2007, 06:56 PM
:sad:I was a 30 year old kid the first time I went to Disney. My DH and I took our eldest son there for his 3rd Birthday. I remember we were both so overwhelmed that we got choked up as we pulled into the parking lot...and that was only the parking lot of the Allstar Music Resort back in 1996. The clencher was that after driving 10 hours and spending our first hour in Magic Kingdom my DS said "I want to go home"!

DREAMADREAM93
06-08-2007, 07:21 PM
I remember that when we were camping [pre-sibling days], i had a terrifying nightmare about rats and i woke up screaming! I was about 5 or 6 and i woke both of my parents up. My mom was like the living dead the next day at the parks.

And i remember riding ToTwhen i was 5 years old and sitting between my mom and dad. I thought that it was like, the coolest thing ever, and i smiled and laughed the whole way through it [yeah, i know its pretty out of the norm. for a first time kid on the ride.] After getting off the ride my mom said she'd never ride it with me again because i "ruin the feel.":blush: She still hasnt ridden it again to this day.

Good times!!

JOrdan :]

Mickey91
06-08-2007, 11:24 PM
My first memory, I was 2 and I rode "DumDumbo" with my daddy. I was terrified of going up high and when they went into the final formation I was scared to death!

ryca1dreams
06-08-2007, 11:44 PM
1979...All I wanted to do was ride Space Mountain. With only a few E tickets we rode "If you Had Wings" first (I still remember the song) then waited 90 minutes in the sun, the star tunnel, and in the final queue before riding SM.

Years later, my most vivid memory was of RYCA1 and CMB2000 on the side of the spaceship.

CandleontheWater
06-08-2007, 11:47 PM
My first memory was from my trip in 1981, and it was eating breakfast at chef mickeys and getting to see Pluto. I was completely obssessed with Pluto and I was so excited to see him for "really real"! I also remember the talking animal heads in the mile long bar, and watching the electrical water pagent from our CR tower view room. :cloud9:

disneygirlie11
06-09-2007, 01:53 AM
I remember on my first trip that my mom made me go on Space Mountain. She told me that I could ride next to her and hang on. Apparently she remember it being a two-seater. Well, we got to the front of the line and the ride was a one-seater and I was terrified. I closed my eyes through the entire thing!

AllDisney
06-09-2007, 11:31 AM
I was 34 my first time going to WDW. We were taking our daughter on her first trip. She was 4 at the time. We stayed off site (first & last time off site).

As we approached MK, by boat, I had tears streaming down my face. Seeing the castle get closer & closer was something else.

We walked down main street with our mouths open and our eyes as big as saucers. The first ride we went on was Dumbo!

My daughter & I are doing a mother/daughter trip this September. She's 26 now & we can't wait. Somethings, thank goodness, never change!

disneydoug
06-09-2007, 01:24 PM
really great memories, thanks

Ayndi
06-09-2007, 01:31 PM
My first real memories (not my first trip) was when I was about 6 I guess. The shaped trees really stood out to me - and I got the hedge trimmers when I got home trying to make our azaleas into Pluto.

Pinocchio kissed my hand during the evening parade that trip also. I didn't wash that hand for at least a week.