PDA

View Full Version : Another "shoe" question

snifflesmcg
06-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Ok ok, not exactly shoe question but insole question. Has anyone tried that "Walkfit" insole that they showed on tv? I never ever buy anything from an infomercial (or online for that matter) but the price wasn't all that much more than regular insoles so I thought of maybe giving it a whirl. I have really bad problems with my feet and with all the walking you do in Disney, my feet kill me by trips end. Has anyone tried these and if you did, do you like them, love them or hate them?

Donald A
06-08-2007, 06:09 PM
As a podiatrist, I must say it depends. Over-the-counter orthotics can be beneficial. Sometimes I try to get my patient's to try them first. However, in my experience, a low arch (flat) foot does better with these over-the-counter devices than a high (cavus) arch foot. This is because a high arch foot still flattens out but sometimes the over-the-counter orthotics do not offer enough support or are not high enough.

You can certainly give these orthotics a try, but if they don't help, don't give up on the idea of a orthotic. Also, if they help significantly, realize that a well-trained podiatrist can obtain a device made just for your foot that will probably work even better.

Christine
06-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Has anyone tried that "Walkfit" insole that they showed on tv? I never ever buy anything from an infomercial? Has anyone tried these and if you did, do you like them, love them or hate them?

They sell them at CVS pharmacies now. I bought some to take on my WDW trip in March. I couldn't even walk across my bedroom floor in them! They hurt my feet so bad! I may be so "damaged" that walking correctly hurts, but whatever the case, they were NOT for me!

snifflesmcg
06-09-2007, 12:46 AM
As a podiatrist, I must say it depends. Over-the-counter orthotics can be beneficial. Sometimes I try to get my patient's to try them first. However, in my experience, a low arch (flat) foot does better with these over-the-counter devices than a high (cavus) arch foot. This is because a high arch foot still flattens out but sometimes the over-the-counter orthotics do not offer enough support or are not high enough.

You can certainly give these orthotics a try, but if they don't help, don't give up on the idea of a orthotic. Also, if they help significantly, realize that a well-trained podiatrist can obtain a device made just for your foot that will probably work even better.

I do have a low arch. Thank you for your imput. I really appreciate you posting a reply. I haven't gone to a podiatrist yet, as I don't have medical insurance. I know I know, I can afford Disney but not a doctor. They only bother me when I walk for more than a few hours but then they get really bad. I figured I'd try things over the counter first. I'm just really worried I'm going to get "you need surgery" chat, lol.

They sell them at CVS pharmacies now. I bought some to take on my WDW trip in March. I couldn't even walk across my bedroom floor in them! They hurt my feet so bad! I may be so "damaged" that walking correctly hurts, but whatever the case, they were NOT for me!

Yes, I actually saw them at CVS (and ultimately bought them anyway there) on clearance for $11.99. I read some other online reviews and it assured me to make sure you wear them for an hour the first day and slowly increase. I guess I'll see. Thank you for getting back to me.

Donald A
06-09-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm just really worried I'm going to get "you need surgery" chat, lol.

I have done a lot of flatfoot surgery in my training and would NEVER do it without at least trying any orthotic. I believe you are on the right track looking for the orthotic over-the-counter first. I am always impressed when a new patient comes in with something like this. It shows me they are thinking right and want to get better by taking that first step (no pun intended)!

snifflesmcg
06-09-2007, 03:53 PM
It's just me being cheap, lol. I'm not a hypocondriac, I have to be dying in order to go to a doctor. I always try to fix myself first. Thanks for the free medical advice. :D

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-09-2007, 11:44 PM
I found something that helps me with all my walking. I got it at someplace like Bath & Body. It's a foot massager that is about 6 rows of wooden beads. It's slightly curved and you just put it on the floor and roll your foot over it awhile. I also bring plastic bags and fill them with ice then wrap a towel around it and ice my feet before bed. I have plantar facitis (sp?) so my feet kill me after a hard day in the parks.

crazypoohbear
06-10-2007, 10:18 AM
I too have plantar fascitis (runs in the family)?!?
I have been to many ortopedic doctors. Had PT, shock wave therapy, cortizone shots, unaboot wraps, meds, had my foot wrapped with medical tape (this actually makes it feel good while it lasts)
I've used the orth inserts from CVS, Walmart etc. The best ones I've found so far are from EMS they cost between 20 and 30 dollars They are called "super feet" the green ones are for "commando walking" the blue ones are for regular walking.
On a different note I would strongly recommend you go to a doctor, the sooner you get it treated the better off you are.
My feet are so far gone that now the only thing left to try is surgery. :(
Having flat feet not only affects your feet but also your knees, hips and lower back. So whenever you have all these aches and pains, it goes to your flat feet:(

snifflesmcg
06-10-2007, 01:42 PM
I too have plantar fascitis (runs in the family)?!?
I have been to many ortopedic doctors. Had PT, shock wave therapy, cortizone shots, unaboot wraps, meds, had my foot wrapped with medical tape (this actually makes it feel good while it lasts)
I've used the orth inserts from CVS, Walmart etc. The best ones I've found so far are from EMS they cost between 20 and 30 dollars They are called "super feet" the green ones are for "commando walking" the blue ones are for regular walking.
On a different note I would strongly recommend you go to a doctor, the sooner you get it treated the better off you are.
My feet are so far gone that now the only thing left to try is surgery. :(
Having flat feet not only affects your feet but also your knees, hips and lower back. So whenever you have all these aches and pains, it goes to your flat feet:(

I'm so sorry to hear that you have to go through this too. I have already put my "walkfits" into my shoes and I am waiting to see what they do. My feet only hurt after about 2 hours continous on my feet. I am SO going to try the EMS ones you told me about. I am so (almost) flat footed that when I'm standing, you can't see the arch at all. You are right though, my knees to bother me from time to time but my hips and back are still doing ok.....for now. Thanks for the advice! :D