PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Cruising?

RobWreck
06-07-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm exceptionally excited about my upcoming cruise, but it occured to me... are some of the activities at the different ports of call closed on holidays? Perhaps it's a silly concern, but we're making our stop at Grand Cayman on New Year's Day :party:. Is everything going to be open, just like any other day, or are most businesses closed for the holiday? :confused: I'd imagine that the same question applies for people cruising on Christmas...
Any help or past experience would be GREATLY appreciated... :blush:
Thanks,
Rob

meldan98
06-08-2007, 12:28 PM
We went on the 200-2001 NYE Cruise as part of our honeymoon and we ended up being in port at Nassau on New Years Day. All the shops were closed and boarded up with plywood and the streets reaked of the effects of all night parting. I guess they have a junkanoo (sp?) that ends in the morning prior to us getting of the ship. There were people passed out in the streets that the police were trying to get cleared out as we approaced the area. We took one look and one smell and turned around and reboarded the ship.

I'm not sure if Grand Cayman will be similar. I sure hope not. If we ever do another NYE cruise, we are going to just plan on staying on board.

ElenitaB
06-09-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm checking with a colleague from work who has lived in Cayman for the past two years on secondment. She said that this past year, everything shut down at 11:50 pm on Saturday evening due to government regulations (since New Year's Eve fell on a Sunday, everything had to be shut down). This year New Year's Eve is on Monday and New Year's Day is on Tuesday. She is checking with another colleague who is a Cayman Island native, to see what businesses that deal with the tourist trade (bars, restaurants, etc.) will be open. As soon as I hear from them, I'll post more info.

RobWreck
06-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks, I really appreciate it.
Rob

ElenitaB
06-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Rob, it's been a week and I never did hear back from her (I even e-mailed her to remind her but she is transitioning back to the U.S.)

I'll give her a buzz this week to see if she can found out for you.