PDA

View Full Version : 2008 DDP not to include gratuity?

tink2006
06-07-2007, 12:52 PM
I just read, on another sight, that the DDP for 2008 will not include gratuity. This was part of the union contract negotiations they held last night. Anybody else hear anything about this? It is my understanding that the price for DDP will not be reduced to reflect this new OOP charge. If true, this will really make people run some numbers to see if it is cost effective. Those that are on the bubble might decide they will be better off paying OOP. I wonder if they are trying to eliminate the DDP?

Speedy1998
06-07-2007, 12:57 PM
If it is true, I think it is a mistake on the employees part, on DDP they consitently get 15% of the total bill. OOP people will be ordering less (for example when I pay OOP I do not get a desert or appatizer), so even though I give tips around 15% I will actually be giving a smaller tip.

Jared
06-07-2007, 01:10 PM
If it is true, I think it is a mistake on the employees part, on DDP they consitently get 15% of the total bill. OOP people will be ordering less (for example when I pay OOP I do not get a desert or appatizer), so even though I give tips around 15% I will actually be giving a smaller tip.
Exactly. The servers will consistently receive smaller tips if gratuity is not included with the Disney Dining Plan. Whatever.

January-2007
06-07-2007, 01:14 PM
As this hasn't been confirmed I doubt it's true but how funny if it was. I bet a lot of people who have used DDP in the past wouldn't even realize tip wasn't included and just stiff the waiters at all their meals.

big blue and hairy
06-07-2007, 01:22 PM
As this hasn't been confirmed I doubt it's true but how funny if it was. I bet a lot of people who have used DDP in the past wouldn't even realize tip wasn't included and just stiff the waiters at all their meals.

I wouldn't say funny...but I would say bad idea. You're right that a lot of servers would unintentionally get stiffed. If any kind of negotiation about this took place, it would have made a lot more sence to negotiate the percentage up not out.

:sulley:

biodtl
06-07-2007, 02:43 PM
This is a bad idea for both WDW and the servers. The servers might end up with less tips (I, for one, am pretty generous with extra tip, since there's already a reasonable one included and I don't really "feel" a few extra bucks), and WDW will have less people getting the DDP. I guess they could make more if those people order OOP, but only if people order the same volume of food and don't pack/eat in their rooms to save money.

BelleBeauty
06-07-2007, 03:30 PM
I feel like it would be a bad idea, however it might fix some of the service problems that we have all been reporting.

With DDP we spend more on food which equals a larger tip - even without the extra some of us put in. I, for one, am generous with additional tip when someone deserves it mostly because I've prepaid the DDP and therefore don't feel like I'm spending that much money.

It might also make it really confusing, as some people might forget to leave a tip after being used to it being included in DDP.

tink2006
06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
I feel like it would be a bad idea, however it might fix some of the service problems that we have all been reporting.

With DDP we spend more on food which equals a larger tip - even without the extra some of us put in. I, for one, am generous with additional tip when someone deserves it mostly because I've prepaid the DDP and therefore don't feel like I'm spending that much money.

It might also make it really confusing, as some people might forget to leave a tip after being used to it being included in DDP.

I agree, it will be very confusing and potentially unfair to the server. This could lead to more service problems if the waiter/waitress does not feel properly compensated. Hopefully this is all rumor.

Iluvpooh
06-07-2007, 04:59 PM
With the DDP I think the server gets 18% Which is more than the average person tips normally plus the extra cost of appetizers and desserts usually runs the bill up pretty high. Most people love getting $150.00 worth of food for 4 people, but will balk at leaving a $27 cash tip per meal!!

cgriff
06-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Devil's Advocate here... :thedolls:

Many complaints about the DDP have to do with perceived second-class treatment by the waitstaff once it is discovered that guests are on the plan. Maybe service will improve for dining plan participants now?

(T)o (I)nsure (P)roper (S)ervice

cgriff

DizneyRox
06-07-2007, 07:01 PM
If there is a change to tip not included, I'm SURE you will be reminded several times that is not the case. When you call for the ADR, when you are seated, and probably once or twice by the waitstaff.

IN the flip side, WOW! A 15% increase in the DDP! That's just crazy! What a wonderful way to pad those coffers Disney. Charge a somewhat fair price that included tips. Streamline the menus, and then just raise the price by 15%. I wonder if the menu choices will increase, otherwise seems like a bad deal. I was never a fan of the DDP, this will further support my distaste in the product.

Again, this is all speculation of course, well, except for the part about my dislike of the DDP.

DakotaDisney
06-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I too hope that this is a rumor that is not true.

I have used the DDP only once, but I really liked it. I don't know how well it would work for families, but as a single person I really liked and I had no problems. I don't think the service I recieved was any less efficient, faster or special than anyone else.

I appreciated having the tip included, that way I didn't have to worry about figuring out a tip, carrying extra cash or not give enough for a tip. I could always add more of a tip to it, if I wanted.

JPL
06-07-2007, 07:47 PM
I believe this was one of the sticking points in regards toi the new Union Contract. I highly doubt this will happen since it would discourage people from getting the DDP since the value and savings would drop. People like not having to worry about paying or figuring out the tip.

MsMin
06-07-2007, 08:17 PM
I know so many ppl in the food industry that would love to have a guaranteed tip- the complaints about large parties leaving little or no TIP. I think their tips would drop, they would from me b/c I tip extra and if I had to figure it out I would probably stick to my standard. I would imagine service could worsen not improve. I've asked some waiters if they like the inclusion of the tip and all I've spoken to really like it-- who wants to gamble their income. I'm sure the ppl who give little or nothing far outweigh the ones that give a little extra..

Sharon1026
06-09-2007, 02:49 PM
I'll be honest -we have used the ddp and many times have gotten appetizers and desserts when we normally wouldn't have - it's just too much food! But since it was included, we'd try some things that sounded good and would only eat a few bites. Same thing with desserts.

If gratuity is NOT included, then I'll probably skip the appetizers and desserts on some of the meals - that's about $40 of the bill for us and 7 or 8 bucks out of my pocket for a tip - for something I really didn't want to eat. Not to be cheap, but why drop the extra tip money for one bite of cake and 2 bites of goat cheese??:chef:

Bad idea for the servers - people will order less, I think.

I think the downside to the servers now is that the tip money goes right onto their paycheck and they are taxed on it - as opposed to cash, which they can claim what they like.

mecarroll
06-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Okay, I crunch numbers all day long at work, so I couldn't resist doing it for this.

Let's say that the servers do indeed want and get the tip removed from the DDP. If a couple goes in orders off of the DDP on the old method (tip included), their total would run about $18. My basis for this is an appi for $8, entree for $25, dessert for $8, and drink for $3. Multiply that by two people = $88. Since tip is SUPPOSED to be figured pre-tax, no tax is being used in the assumption. Their tip at 18% would be $15.84. But, since their tips are in their paycheck and taxed, lets assume 25% for Federal, state, FICA, and Medicare. That leaves the server with $11.88.

Now, let's do the math on the no tip in the DDP method. Same two people go to eat, but this time, they don't get an appi and they split the dessert. Or, they don't get a dessert, but they split the appi. On average, most folks will get one or the other and split it. Here's the math...Appi (or dessert split) is $4 (or $8 total), $25 for the entree, and $3 for drink. Total is $32 per person or $64 total. Tip at 18% is $11.52.

They don't HAVE to report their taxes and maybe this is what they are trying to get away with, I don't know. But the point I am trying to make is that they might be banking on the fact they might come out as good or better without including tip in DDP. At the very least, they don't have to report their tips to FICA or MediCare. So, there is some savings there.

Does this make sense?

DisneyGiant
06-09-2007, 06:07 PM
They don't HAVE to report their taxes and maybe this is what they are trying to get away with, I don't know. But the point I am trying to make is that they might be banking on the fact they might come out as good or better without including tip in DDP. At the very least, they don't have to report their tips to FICA or MediCare. So, there is some savings there.

Does this make sense?

They don't have to report ALL their taxes - but they do have report some.

Last I was on wait staff - we had to add up the total of all of our checks at the end of the day - and then I think we were taxed on 10% of that - even if they didn't leave a tip!!!! Granted most people did - but when we got stiffed - we were still taxed.

I would think there would be signs advising people that tip wasn't included - and if I was the waiter - I wouldn't give back the dining plan cards until I saw the tip on the table! ;)

Disclaimer: I have never used the dining plan - we find we enjoy the DDE 20% discount. Includes :beer::marg:

Hammer
06-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Has anyone confirmed it was the union which wanted the the automatic gratuity not included in the DDP? It sounds like a concession that management asked of the union in exchange for something else (larger % wage increase, lower out of pocket health care premium, etc.). The workers affected by this changes would be in the Service Trades council, whose membership had already approved the contract the first time, so this would not have been a recent addition to the deal.

Whatever the case may be, I think it takes some of the value out of the dining plan. I'll wait and see what next year's menus bring before I decide.

r4kids
06-11-2007, 07:15 AM
I would say this would certianly deter us from using the dining plan again. As a family of 6 we spend somewhere between $150 and $200 on a meal with the dining plan. I assure you if not for the dining plan we would have 1 or 2 meals out and the rest in our room or as CS.

big blue and hairy
06-11-2007, 07:56 AM
Has anyone confirmed it was the union which wanted the the automatic gratuity not included in the DDP?
For that matter, has anyone confirmed that this is anything more than another rumor that will come to nothing?

:sulley:

momof3boysinTN
06-11-2007, 05:09 PM
We love the plan. It was the main reson we have been to Disney the last few years for the Free plan in Sept. We have found waiters to be very gracious once they found out we were on the plan. They knew the tip was going to be good and we actually asked a few waiters about how it all worked. They said they tried to give the same service no matter if you were on the plan or not but that generally the DDP tip was better. We enjoy not having to have so much extra cash for tips and to pay for food that we would actualy be willing to pay for the DDP. Of course we would order as much food as you get on the plan but with 3 DS the generally eat most of it!! Say at Wispering Canyon our bill was around $150 and the tip about $27 how many families of 5 could afford that! So I hope the plan is here to stay!!:chef:

Crow
06-13-2007, 06:31 PM
this recent trip was the first time i used DDP. i liked it pretty much, but it was more food than i usually eat. the service was pretty good at most places.
im going for free dining in Sept.
i did like the DDE when i had it once for the :beer:also.