PDA

View Full Version : Favorite moment with a toddler

avantgardeinker
06-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Our daughter will be 2 by the time we go to Disney this year. I'm getting really excited about taking her. The Fab Five are her best friends and she loves all the Princesses, Little Einsteins and some of the other Playhouse Disney characters. I'm just wondering, for those that have taken toddlers to The World, what was your favorite moment? What really made their eyes light up and will be a special moment you'll never forget.

Keep in mind... I'm not looking for advice, here. We've already made plans to come back for a nap and get plenty of rest to make the trip as pleasant for everyone, including our daughter, as possible. I don't want to hear complaints or regrets, just the good moments.

182 more days!!!
balloon:

milhouse
06-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Our 18mo toddler loved It's a Small World. It made a ride that usually gets on my nerves a lot of fun. The line is usually short so you can jump on when you need to cool off. The Pooh ride was also a big hit.

For a snack, he liked Kadoozie popcicles.

Jared
06-07-2007, 10:31 AM
My parents talk about when I saw the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at the Disney-MGM Studios when I was 3-years-old. Granted, the attraction is long gone.

WelshieLover
06-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Our best moment was with our 2 sons who at the time were 2 and 4 years old. It was their first trip. We were staying at the BC. On our first morning we had breakfast at the Cape May Cafe. I have the most priceless pictures of their expressions of excitment and anticipation when Chip and Dale got around to our table. They were in awe. Their smiles were so wide and they had their hands clenched together in excitment. I put those photos in a double frame and had them dispayed for years. Just looking at photos from that trip bring back a rush of memories. Take lots of pictures! Your toddler may not remember a lot from that trip, but you will love seeing WDW from their perspective.:mickey:

mmwonka
06-07-2007, 10:38 AM
My favorite memory is when my sons were 3 and 4 and we watched the parade at MGM. They were in absolute, open mouthed awe at seeing so many of their favorite characters up close at one time. My 3 year old was already a major Star Wars fan, thanks to my brother, and stood absolutely perfectly still when Darth Vader walked over to him. (For anyone with a 3 year old you know it is near impossible to get them to stand absolutely still for very long LOL). That parade is still our favorite 5 years later.

pshokie
06-07-2007, 10:38 AM
For us, there were four moments.

1) The build up once you land in Orlando. Seeing DME with all the characters on the bus gets the excitement started. (just warming up)

2) The monorail ride to MK. We stayed at the Poly and "hid" the castle from her as long as we could (which was one only one night). On the monorail, she saw MK for the first time. I have the video of her screaming "DADDY!!! IT"S DISNEY WORLD!!!!!"

3) Turning the corner and walking up the Main St. Again, I filmed this. She stops rubs her eyes as if to clear them, and yells "ITS THE CASTLE!!"

4) Lastly, we had breakfast the very first day at CRT. When she met Belle, her all-time favorite, she got so excited that I cried. :cry:

I am such a sap.

Disney Doll
06-07-2007, 10:39 AM
We took our 2 nieces ages 3 & 5 a couple of years ago. We found some cheap 35mm princess cameras before we left and let each kid take their own pictures of the world. The 3 yr old took some surprisingly good photos and it is a lot of fun to look back on the pictures they took. I think the single greatest moment of that trip was seeing Mickey for the first time.

Suzibell1968
06-07-2007, 10:45 AM
When we took our boys the first time they were 18 mths and 3 1/2 yrs. My 3 yr old son LOVED Mary Poppins. Our first morning in the park as we just entered, there she was, just standing there! He spotted her and ran over and then just went speechless. He just stared at her and couldn't get the words out. It was just precious.:mickey:

mook3y
06-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Far and away our favorite moment happened on our first visit to the MK. :mickey:

The crowds were really lite and we were able to sit in the street in front of the castle. Everyone was sitting down and there was plenty of room so that toddlers could move around some.

Well, when the music and fireworks started, our DD 15 months was awestruck. The look on her face was priceless. She was so excited. The whole time the show was going, she was dancing, twirling and singing while watching the fireworks. My DW and myself spent more time watching her than the fireworks. :D

Our next favorite moment happened that same night as we were leaving. Mickey was at the train station waving and saying goodbye and good night as you were leaving.

Our kids (DS was 3) were SO excited that Mickey came to tell "them" goodnight. They couldn't stop talking about it. :cloud9:

mouseaddict
06-07-2007, 11:12 AM
We took DS5 when he was 18 mos. He had such a good time. He danced thru It's A Small World and loved the Safari. But his favorite time was meeting the characters. He would scream and try to get out of our arms so that he could get to them faster. When we met Mickey it was magical...I put him down and he ran up to him arms wide open and kissed his nose.. I cried! Everyone in the room went "awwwwwe". I have video of that moment...I love to watch it over and over!

Lehman Family
06-07-2007, 11:18 AM
We took our 2 year old daughter and 5 month old son on our last trip and it was priceless all around. I think my favorite times with the children were the Ohana Character Breakfast and MNSSHP. My daughter loves the characters but she was scared of them, but she still loved the time she had there and lets us know that she wants to go back every week.

Mickey'sGirl
06-07-2007, 11:25 AM
My 3 yr old son LOVED Mary Poppins. Our first morning in the park as we just entered, there she was, just standing there! He spotted her and ran over and then just went speechless. He just stared at her and couldn't get the words out. It was just precious.:mickey:
MY DS3 is IN LOVE with her too!!! He barely touched his lunch at CRT 'cause she was in the room! This does not bode well for future DinL prospects! lol

My favourite toddler moment was when our youngest DS was 22 months old. We went to CRT for lunch, and were lined up for our photo op with Cindy. As we got to her -- he started screaming. He was terrified of Cinderella (all that blue taffeta perhaps?). We have a great picture of it and Cindy is trying to contain her laugh in it. Funny... :D

biodtl
06-07-2007, 12:10 PM
At CRT, when the Fairy Godmother had the kids close their eyes and wave their wands and make a wish, she was so into it - she just totally believed - that I cried.

Also - In Epcot, when DD3 spotted Belle for the first time (she adores Belle). She talked to her a little about how she was going to be Belle at MNSSHP the next day. And we saw Belle at CRT for breakfast a few days later and she remembered DD's name!

kathiep
06-07-2007, 12:23 PM
On our first family trip, my DS was a little over 3 and my DD was 16 months.

Some of our favorite magical moments were:

Riding small world - both kids faces lit up on this one - I can't tell you how long they sang the song for

When my DS got to "drive" the monorail

When my DD first rode on the Pooh ride

The character interaction at the Crystal Palace breakfast

MK is a magical place but everything is twice as magical when you get to watch you kids experience it.

septembergirl
06-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Spectromagic Parade. I was surprised by how much everyone, most of all my DD9months loved it!
We almost missed it because our plan was to get back to Fantasyland and use our FP for Peter Pan. We got trapped in Adventureland and I am so glad we did. I can't wait to take her back this year at 3 to do all the princess stuff!!!

Lucyrella
06-07-2007, 01:34 PM
I love this thread. We took our daughter in May of 2006, she was 2 and half, we adopted her from China, so everything in her eyes is special to us. We had 2 moments that are ones I will never forget, the first was our dinner at the castle, she was in her little Cinderella dress, and when she entered and saw Cinderella there, it was priceless, she asked Cinderella if she would dance with her, and of course she did. The second was just a moment where dad was off doing something and Lucy was in her stroller at MGM and we were watching the parade, Mulan was in the parade and spotted Lucy a mile away. Mulan was fixed on Lucy and was blowing kisses to her and telling her that she loved her. Lucy was thrilled, and so was mom.

I love seeing Disney through the eyes of a child, it priceless and precious no matter what their age, or what they are experiencing.

TBY2225
06-07-2007, 02:19 PM
My favorite moment was when my daughter then 4 saw Aurora for the first time! my daughter was wearing a pink dress and she has blond hair. Aurora came over and said pink is my favorite color and you look just like me. My daughter was in heaven. That was her star moment and she still talks about it!

avantgardeinker
06-07-2007, 02:19 PM
I have chills reading these posts. Keep em comin!!!

182 more days!!
:mickey:

wire0monkey
06-07-2007, 03:40 PM
My boys were 4 and 17 months when we went last September. They loved a lot of stuff, but the best moment was Playhouse Disney Live! at DS-MGM. They were totally rocking out and when Bear from "Bear in the Big Blue House" came out, my kids were so excited. The little one just started yelling "Bear! Bear! Bear!" over and over again. It was like a kiddie rock concert.

January-2007
06-07-2007, 03:58 PM
These are all so cute!!! :cloud9:

jsw123
06-07-2007, 09:43 PM
I have two. My DD, then 20 months, adored meeting Minnie Mouse. Minnie got on her knees and opened her arms and my girl ran open armed into a big mouse hug! She was obsessed with Minnie the rest of the trip and looked at the pictures for---well, she still does!:minnie2::minnie2:

Second was my D niece (then 3) who is a drama princess! She LOVES Cinderella. She waited to see the Princesses at Toontown and, when she got to Sleeping Beauty, started jumping up and down, pointing, and yelling "Look, there's Cinderella!" Of course Aurora played right along and said "Yes, isn't it wonderful!" When she got to Cinderella, she couldn't stop jumping up and down and saying "Cinderella, what are YOU doing here?" Cindy said "Oh, my! You are really excited to see me!" So great!:cloud9:

TikiGoddess
06-07-2007, 10:07 PM
We've had some great moments in the last 4 yrs with our girls. They are now 2.5 and 4.5. Some of my favorite moments:

Taking the girls on Small World and El Rio del Tiempo. My little one LOVED both rides and we heard them sing 'small world' for MONTHS after. Without fail, at some point in the day, they would start singing it.

On our last trip we stopped for a bathroom break. My DH went in and I waited outside with the girls. My DD3 started to cry about something minor and all of a sudden Alice (of Wonderland) is standing there! She says, "Don't you know? There is no crying allowed at Disney World!" My DD was in awe of her and stopped crying. :)

One of my best memories is when we took my oldest dd. She was 18 mos at the time and her favorite activity was to splash in the rain puddles in Adventureland. She had such a good time stomping in the puddles (that was the trip where she learned to say "water"!).

Seeing my DD touch a (big!) snake at AK.

Looking forward to making more memories in less than a month. :cloud9:

TikiG

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-08-2007, 11:57 AM
500th Post!! :party::mickey::party:

I agree with the others, there is nothing like seeing WDW through your child's eyes.

We have so many magical moments, Our favorite?!

Our oldest son took his first steps on Main Street in MK right outside the Crystal Palace.:cloud9: It was his first trip and he had just turned 1. He will be 10 in August and our next trip in September will be his 10th trip!!

The look on my younger son's face last year when Mickey told him he would sign his baseball for him. He is a huge baseball fan and that made his day.

The first time my little Princess saw Cinderella. She was so little(1) and she was scared to death...lol. We have pictures of her crying and her face bright red. Our trip last year she had just turned 3 and just stood there staring at her. She was in awe. When Cinderella came to our table at Akershus Taylor turned to me and said "Mommy, Cinderella is my best friend". So cute!!

I hope you have many magical moments on your trip!!

BritCody
06-08-2007, 01:02 PM
I have two that really stick out for me.

One is when my DD was 4 and my DS was 11 months. We went to the Castle for lunch it was King Stefans at the time and Cinderella made an occasional appearance in the lobby. My mother dressed my DD in her Cinderella dress and both of my kids interacted with Cinderella for at least 1/2 hour. We have soooo many pictures. Cinderella even took my DS and was carrying him around, I thought we would never get him back and my DD was in her glory. She had Cinderella to herself (with the exception of her brother). Can you imagine that nowadays, Lunch at the Castle and my kids were the only two under 12. It would never happen again.

My favorite memory is from the same visit. We were on our way to Chef Mickey's (it was located at the Marketplace back then) and as we were walking Chef Mickey was about to enter a side door and he stopped to mingle with my DD. Well he got a little more than he expected. She started to sing Mary had a little lamb to him and they danced as she sang. She followed it up by singing her ABC's so they had a two song dance. I have the whole thing on video. I have to get it transfered to DVD!!!

BrandyC1974
06-09-2007, 10:43 PM
My favorite moments happened on my first trip with my girls.

It was 2003.

My oldest (6yrs old at the time) was so excited when she saw Peter Pan. I have a picture of her (she uses a wheelchair) and she has the biggest smile on her face; and is waving her arms so much you would think she was going to take off!!

My youngest (3yrs old at the time) would not approach any characters. None, not the face or costumed ones. (She now asks me why she is not in any of the pics?? :confused: LOL) Well, when she saw mickey, she jumped out of her stroller and ran to him yelling, "my mike". It was halarious and had us all crying.

luvkatiebug
06-09-2007, 11:36 PM
It was one of our last days at WDW, and we were coming into MK for Extra Magic Hours, early in the morning. It was approaching Memorial day weekend, and the park was pretty crowded. Katie was 3 at the time, and they had some characters lining up at the entrance to Main Street (around the flag pole). I was trying to persuade katie to move on down the way to Fantasyland, and try and catch Dumbo before it got too crazy, and we didn't even see Daisy Duck coming right our way. She grabbed Katie's hand and took her to the front on her "line" to meet and greet. It was so cute. Those pictures are great! Lesson learned... don't rush too much to fit a schedule, just let the cool stuff happen! Have a super trip! :mickey:

Belle--86
06-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Our youngest DD's first trip she was 18 months-- and this will be her 5th trip in July. It was just seeing every thing in her eyes, but the best was @ MNSSHP- she was dressed like Snow white (her favorite) while watching the parade Snow White came by and came over to her -- her expression was priceless brought tears to my eyes and still does. The 2cnd trip she was 27 monthhs and we went to see Mickey @ MGM She went up to him and gave him a big hug and kiss on the nose-- now every year we must go see Socerer Mickey. There is so many memories-- everytime she see's Minnie or her favorite Princesses. Last year seeing her hugging Beast, as she was dressed up like Belle is amoment and picture I will always treasure. As now the toddler years leave us we begin with all new experiences and memories. As we have down with our two oldest DD's who were 4(turning 5 on the trip} and 7 on their first trip and now are 15 and 13 and have numerous tripsb ehind them.

Mickey91
06-10-2007, 12:24 AM
I have 2:
1. My DS' first trip at age 18 months to the LTT. At that time there was Mickey, Tigger, Pluto, and Chip and Dale. The characters kept coming back to him and would look around the corner and play peekaboo!:tigger::mjump::chip::dale:

2. My DD was 2 and Cinderella talked to her and treated her like such a princess. I will never forget the look of awe on DD's face when her most beloved princess talked to her.:princess::pixie:

thejens
06-10-2007, 12:43 AM
When my son was 2 I remember how amazed he was by the lights and sparkles in the sidewalk at Epcot. I thought we'd never leave the park that night. He also loved all the water fountain areas such as Donald's Boat and the fountains in Epcot. This year he recognized the castle and shouted in amazement
"Indallella's Castle!" I also loved the look on his face during the rides such as Dumbo or while he drove his Indy Speedway car. What a thrill. This year it was fun that whenever we saw Darth Vader at MGM he would say, I want to see Ben fight him again! The hero worship he gave to his big brother for taking on the biggest villian in the galaxy was precious!