PDA

View Full Version : Savannah/Charleston

teresa955
06-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I am in the process of planning a group trip this fall to Savannah and Charleston. It will consist of around 40 seniors (50 and older). I was wondering if any one would have any good tips? Best restaurants (besides The Lady and Sons)?

I am looking at doing a tour at each place--maybe a trolley tour at one and a walking tour at the other. I am also thinking we might visit Tybee Island and Fort Sumter.

SallyP
06-10-2007, 06:53 AM
We enjoy those two cities but I'm not familiar with tours that could handle that many people. I'm sure they are available - just not familiar with them.
We have done a horse and buggy ride tour of Savannah that was quite good. The river walk is a must of course and then there are antique stores in another section. Springtime I would do the city squares with all the flowers but I don't know about the fall.
Charleston has the Market, loads of old churches, the Battery and the USS Yorktown to tour. Outside of Charleston there is a wonderful Plantation to visit - Middleton Place Plantation. They do conduct tours, It's a beautiful place with gardens and the house, etc.
Good luck with your planning!

teresa955
06-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks!

RenDuran
06-10-2007, 11:04 PM
A few friends and I did a few really nice restaurants in Charleston last year. One that really stands out in my mind is Hominy Grill! It was small and there was a patio for dining also....wonderful experience! The food was awesome!

Melanie
06-11-2007, 12:44 AM
I would definitely suggest doing a carriage tour in Charleston. Your party would fit into a couple of the carriages. It's a great way to see Rainbow Row and the Battery, although not all of the carriages follow the same route.

Restaurants we love there - Hyman's Seafood, Blossom Cafe and Magnolia's. Bubba Gump Seafood is also fun and located right at the Market.

I recommend Boone Hall Plantation for a tour. If you are familiar with North and South miniseries, the exterior shots for the Main plantation were shot there.

Fort Sumter is great, as is Patriot's Point (where the USS Yorktown is located).

teresa955
06-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the info about Boone Hall Plantation. I had been looking at it but had not really decided for sure. It does not seem to get as much press as some of the other plantations so I was not sure about it.

Lynn J Mc
07-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Another vote for Middleton Place. Beautiful place. Also - try A W Shucks seafood rest. on the market. If you go at lunch you can get lighter portions at lighter prices. Best seafood casserole anywhere. Also Jestine's on Meeting Street but expect to wait. Your group could fill the place up. Fleet Landing is a good restaurant right on the harbor. We love Charleston and go there several times a year, we are only 3 1/2 hours away. PM me if you have specific questions. Have a ball, this is a lovely city.

caryrae
07-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Here is a link for when I asked about Savannah and got some good tips.

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=100398&highlight=savannah

teresa955
07-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks for all the great info!

Does anyone have any experience with a company called "Tales of the South"? I had requested info from the Savannah vistor's bureau site and they contacted me from that. They basically put together your itinerary and make all your reservations. They have given me a quote but I am not sure that is not something that I could do cheaper on my own.

LilHooligan74
07-24-2007, 12:26 PM
I have never been to Savannah myself, we will be there for three days before we head to disney in August. I live close the Charleston and we have spent alot of time there, recently especially due to the loss of the Nine Firemen. There are plenty of wlaking tours, although I do not know if they can handle that amount with one guide/tour route. My father, stepmother and mother have all done walking tours with us. There fared pretty well, they are in their 60's and 70's. I would reccomend the cooler months for walking tours. They have nighttime walking ghost tours as well.
The carriage rides are great. I think the larger wagons can hold up to 15 or 16 people plus guides I believe. It would be almost impossible to have three wagons follow each other through the city, as the City controls the routes. They have routes that are randomly assigned to each carriage, some are a simple reverse of another route. I have taken the tour many times and have yet to duplicate a route.
I highly reccomend Tommy Condon's Irish pub. We eat there for lunch everytime we are in Chucktown. Hyman's is very good another family favorite, very small restaurat though.
Chucktown is also refered to as Holy City because of the amount of churches in the city limits, Somewhere around 85 or more.
I reccomend Fort sumter.
I also highly recomend Patriot's Point. They have a replica of a Vietnam FIre base there, I had the honor of meeting Retired General William Westmoreland there. They also have i the USS Yorktown(CV-10) Carrier, a WWII era submarine a destroyer and a Coast Guard cutter. I have spent days there.
The HL Hunley subamrine can be viewed also, I believe that is in North Charleston.
In North Charleston there is also a Fire Museum/education center near the Coliseum which is pretty neat.
I hope all goes well. If you need any help just ask:mickey:

"Proud to reside in the only state in the union that ever started a war!"

Chic-a-pin
07-27-2007, 08:43 PM
If you go out to Tybee, The Crab Shack is an AWESOME place for seafood, it's right on the marsh, neat view, good food! Another couple places to eat on Tybee are Fannies or Spankys, good food, good atmosphere. On the way out to Tybee is Fort Pulaski, which is neat! The Tybee Lighthouse is a must see & Fort Screven, which is right across from the lighthouse.

If you are going to Lady & Sons, unless you have a group reservation, you'll need to get there early to get in line, say around 8:30-9 in the morning, if you wait much past that, the line will reach around the building!! Once they start taking names it goes fast, but just keep that in mind. If anyone is interested in micro-brews, Moonriver is a great place to go. Be sure to go down on River St., lots of shopping & places to eat.

Let me know if you need/want anymore thoughts, we go down there a lot :thumbsup:

Clarabelle Cow
07-28-2007, 12:03 AM
I live about 45 miles out of Savannah in the Hinesville/Ft. Stewart area and travel there at least once a week, often times more.

I can send some brochures if you would like. Just let me know.

As far as restaurants, by all means go to The Pirates House. You, as well as your tour group, will be glad you did. Skip The Lady and Sons, trust me. It's an overpriced, overrated buffet.

Best time to vist is Spring. Next best is Fall. Have fun.

murphy1
07-29-2007, 07:31 PM
THere's a really nice restaurant called The Pink House, it's supposedly haunted. The Pirate's House was a hangout of Blackbeard the pirate. The Crab Shack is really good. Have a great time!!

Mary Poppins
08-05-2007, 02:39 AM
We loved in GA for 8 years, 2 of them just outside of Savannah. It's one of our favorite cities--still missing it :)

I was going to put in my votes for The Pirates House, Mrs Wilkes and The Pink House. All very good. One thing to keep in mind though is The Pink House is a little more dressier then the other 2.

For tours I definately recommend one of the ghost walkng tours :ghost: . Lots of fun! The trolley tours are a great way to start out. They are about 1 1/2 - 2 hours (without getting off at any stops). A nice way to learn some of the history and get to know the area a little. Another popular walking tour is "The Book Tour". Very few people go to Savannah without knowing about the book Midnight in A Gaden Of Good And Evil. It takes you out to all the spots in the book/movie. You can also tour Mercer House now (seperate from the book tour) where the murder in the book took place. So many choices......:)

Happy planning and have a great trip!

Mandykay
08-20-2007, 12:39 AM
I LOVE these two cities! If I wasn't "addicted" to WDW I'd spend a lot more time in both:mickey:

For Charleston I'd highly recommend the boat tour out to Fort Sumter. Then you get to explore what's left of the fort. Talk about history! Taking a carriage tour around the city is a must-do.

My favorite memory of Savannah is the night I went on the "Haunted Trolley Tour." It wasn't cheesey at all. Savannah is (supposedly) America's Most Haunted City, and there's some really interesting stories behind the haunted properties. The Pirates House is a great place to eat lunch or dinner. Very affordable, cozy, and good fun. Plus with the history it's also interesting. Just watch out for the angry pirate ghost:rub::ghost:

Both cities have great market areas that are a blast to roam around. The sweet grass baskets from Charleston are lovely.

Melanie
08-20-2007, 12:45 AM
I just finished watching North & South (again) and it really makes me want to go back to Charleston. :fit: Love that city!!!!