PDA

View Full Version : Stan Lee and Disney deal

avantgardeinker
06-06-2007, 04:47 PM
I just saw a news story about Stan Lee signing a deal with Disney. Does anyone know anything concrete. The article was very short and very vague.

Figment!
06-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Disney Signs Deal with Stan Lee

Los Angeles Business Journal
June 6, 2007

Walt Disney Studios has signed an exclusive multi-year first look deal with Stan Lee and his production company POW! Entertainment.

Lee is the creator of many iconic comic-book characters, such as a Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, The Fantastic Four and the X-Men.

Under the terms of the agreement, Lee and POW will develop and produce all forms of entertainment.

"His innate talent of tapping into the human qualities of his super hero characters has certainly struck a chord with generations of audiences and readers around the world. We are honored to be working with someone as formidable as Stan and his production company and welcome them to the Disney family," Dick Cook, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, said in a statement.

POW! is based in Beverly Hills.

The Walt Disney Studios produces and distributes movies for the Walt Disney Co.

wizardmickey
06-06-2007, 10:34 PM
I saw a bit more on this... truly AWESOME! Stan the Man at the house that Walt built? Genius!

Spider-Man Creator Stan Lee Signs Exclusive Deal with Disney

By GARY GENTILE | Business Writer
Associated Press
June 6, 2007

LOS ANGELES - Zowie! Stan Lee, the creator of such comic-book superheroes as Spider-Man and X-Men, has signed an exclusive content deal with Walt Disney Studios, it was announced Wednesday.

Under the multiyear agreement, the studio gets first shot at films, TV shows, books and video games devised by the 84-year-old Lee and his company, POW! Entertainment.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Disney Studio Chairman Dick Cook said the deal was designed to create characters and projects that can become franchises for Disney.

Lee's characters have made hundreds of millions of dollars for other studios. Sony Pictures produced the Spider-Man series and saw "Spider-Man 3" open in early May with a record $151.1 million weekend domestically.

Twentieth Century Fox made the highly profitable X-Men films. Also in production at various studios are movies about The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man.

Sony Pictures is part of Sony Corp. Twentieth Century Fox is owned by News Corp.

Lee is no longer associated with Marvel Entertainment Inc., which produces comic books and feature films based on characters he created while employed there.

At Disney Studios, part of The Walt Disney Co., Lee will work on developing characters for action films that might also be featured in direct-to-DVD productions, video games, comic books or other formats.

"I've got millions of them," Lee said. "I have file cabinets filled with ideas for movies and television shows and all sorts of things, and I've been waiting to be associated with someone like Disney so I can start tearing into these things."

Some of the characters that Lee developed at Pow! Entertainment, such as the superhero stripper "Stripperella," featuring the voice of Pamela Anderson as "Erotica Jones," won't be made into Disney films, Lee said.

Lee said he isn't concerned that Disney's family image will hurt his projects.

"There is such a big difference between action and violence," Lee said. "I have never been a fan of violence, but I love action and so does Disney."

2Epcot
06-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Maybe some hit movies will come out of this and eventually some new theme park rides that actually have nothing to do with Pixar characters.

PirateLover
06-07-2007, 12:53 AM
Stan seems like such a kind soul. I am optimistic about this partnership. Hey, maybe the finale of this season of Who Wants To Be A Super Hero will take place in a Disney park! (Last year's took place at Universal).

Roo Girl
06-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Wow this is great for Disney but I thought he has some sort of relationship with Universal- I guess there isn't a conflict of interest?

BrerSchultzy
06-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Wow this is great for Disney but I thought he has some sort of relationship with Universal- I guess there isn't a conflict of interest?

It's Marvel that has a deal with Universal...and Marvel owns a BUNCH of his old creations. But that's why he started POW! So he could do his own thing.

CrazyStitch
06-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Stan Lee
Incredibles 2
'nuff said

:thumbsup:

wizardmickey
06-07-2007, 09:35 PM
I agree with a LOT of the above comments; I mean c'mon, Stan Lee & DIsney?? Has to be a win-win situation!!
And yeah, Marvel does indeed still own the rights to nearly everything Stan ever created while he worked there... that's the way business was (and in most cases still is) done in the comic book industry.