PDA

View Full Version : Sell us on POR!

LarryBoy
06-06-2007, 01:49 PM
I was just talking with wonderful Wendy at MJ and was trying to book a late July vacation (I know kind of last minute) at AS Movies. The fine people at Disney offered us an upsell and we could now stay at POR for less than it would cost us at AS Movies. The only bad thing was that my son had asked to stay at the Buzz and Woody hotel again. It's been almost 15 years since I've stayed at POR, actually it was Dixie Landings then. Give me as many godd selling points of POR for my family as you can. Isn't this too good a deal to pass?

Septbride2002
06-06-2007, 02:05 PM
First have to say - LOVE Wendy. :)

POR - FQ is one of my favorite resorts and I think they have lots of cool things for kids. The biggest thing being a SLIDE at the pool. And a really cool slide! Also fishing, you can rent mouseboats and take them for a spin. When we stayed there we were childless so I'm probably not helping much. Hopefully someone with kids will be along soon to help you out.

~Amanda

MizMissy
06-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Since it's a moderate - the rooms are bigger and there's a frig in the room. Not sure about POR, but POFQ had a curtain that could close the bath area from the rest of the room. Also, I've heard of people complaining about thin walls at Values, I did not notice this to be a problem at POFQ.
The pools are very nice at both. And, there's the boat to DTD -- a nice break from all the buses.
I think an upgrade would be a good move.

#1donaldfan
06-06-2007, 02:37 PM
We have stayed at POR Riverside 3 years in a row and are planning on being there again this year in just under 20 days. I would NEVER pass up a chance to stay there......EVER......I have never stayed at ALL STAR resorts, but my sister stayed there two years ago ( I've since talked her out of it and to POR)....she said it was sorta like the parks, alot of people in lines.....at POR you will find it's really laid back and very relaxing......the food court and Boatwrights are great.....you can ride a short ride up the river to DTD, the busses seem to be very punctual......I can't think of a single thing to complain about with POR......I can say I LOVE that resort. It's very shaded there and on the very hot days of July that will feel very nice on your walk from the bus to your room. The quiet pools are fun and in my experience are never very crowded......I just can't think of anything wrong with that place, with the exception of not being able to be there ALL the time......you and yours will LOVE it, I can almost guarantee it!!!!!!

BrerStitch
06-06-2007, 04:47 PM
I would have to agree with my fellow Intercot posters!:thumbsup: POR was very nice when we stayed there. The pool on that side is very nicely themed, the rooms were great, and you do have the frig nowadays. Always great if you have any leftover snacks from Goofy's Candy Company!

The kids can rent the boats, there is fishing, a whirlpool for you adults when you're tired! I would suggest a Mansion room, as the walk to the buses is a bit less than in the Bayou rooms! Trust Wendy and her advice, she has never steered us wrong. And hey, if Disney is willing to cut you a deal, why say no?!

Mikey Piano 23
06-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Here are my reasons I think you should look into staying at POFQ:

1. Huge Pool
2. Largest Rooms of All the Moderates
3. Separate Changing area in the rooms
4. Nice Bar
5. Very Kid Friendly
6. Evening Horse and Buggy Ride
7. Good Ribs in the Food Court
8. Wonderful Theming at the resort
:D

katzctkpt
06-06-2007, 09:37 PM
We have a family of 5 & POR was a moderate that accomadated our needs. The last 3 yrs we've stayed in they Bayou section bldg 18 and that is where we request each time we make our reservations. It's one of the closest to the food court & bus depot. Now for the pitch as to why to stay there. It's calm, relaxing, and not the typical hustle as you'd get at the value resorts. Several of our friends have stayed at values and then at POR and they said they'd never go to a value again. Value just had the feeling that you'd never left the park. POR is disney themed but more laid back. The food court has been upgraded this yr don't know what has changed but, it was great before the change. Boatwright's breakfast is super. There are a lot of things to do. You have ole man pool with slides etc...then you have quiet pools. Rentals of boats, bikes, horse/carriage, fishing, Also, a boat ride to DTD. I can't imagine staying anywhere but POR. Hope this info helps. 15 days til takeoff!!!

iceicebritney
06-06-2007, 09:46 PM
umm... if they still do the boat rides to pleasure island/downtown disney that is a plus. and if they still have the same pools that they used to have (dixie landings area with the rope slide) and (port orleans side with the dragon slide) then thats another plus. the restaurants in there also used to be very good. we really enjoyed boatwrights when we stayed there, and i know there was a lounge with great music and performances there. i mean if you can get the hotel cheaper, by all means take it. just tell your little one that buzz is being refurbished or something like that.

its been a while since we've stayed at port orleans.. it was dixie landings still at that time and then it sat empty for so long after 9/11 that we just weren't interested in it anymore. i think you'll have a good time, my aunt and uncle sware by this resort - but they are huge new orleans ppl so thats one reason why they like it so much.

whatever you decide, have a GREAT time!!:mickey:

RockChalkKimball
06-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Denfinately take the upgrade POR, for all the reasons listed above. If you think your son would be disappointed, take an afternoon or evening and hop over to All-Stars and let him see the big icons and take pictures, etc. You could see all three of them, almost like visiting another park!

Kairi_7378
06-06-2007, 11:01 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by POR. It wasn't among my top choices when I was making reservations. However, DH and I were completely charmed by the resort. The grounds are beautiful. In the morning there are lots of bunnies hopping around. The food court is freshly renovated and very nice. The boat rides to Down Town Disney are fun (esp at night.) There is a fishing hole for kids. You'll get to pool hop with FQ... love that pool! The resort is very centrally located so the commutes to the parks are good. the fridge is convenient. The rooms are larger than those at the values. If I were you, I'd take the upgrade.

Grace
06-07-2007, 01:40 PM
:mickey:
You'll love POR. If the offer includes PO French Quarter, the dragon-tongue pool slide might just beguile your son. Even if you are staying at POR, I think you could swim at POFQ.

Also, Dixie Landings was originally themed to the 'Song of the South' movie. You might tell your son it's the Splash Mountain hotel (even though there are no icons there).

When we stayed there, a campfire singalong was offered on Ol Man Island. S'mores are available!

disney100%
06-07-2007, 02:08 PM
We have stayed at POR Riverside 3 years in a row and are planning on being there again this year in just under 20 days. I would NEVER pass up a chance to stay there......EVER......I have never stayed at ALL STAR resorts, but my sister stayed there two years ago ( I've since talked her out of it and to POR)....she said it was sorta like the parks, alot of people in lines.....at POR you will find it's really laid back and very relaxing......the food court and Boatwrights are great.....you can ride a short ride up the river to DTD, the busses seem to be very punctual......I can't think of a single thing to complain about with POR......I can say I LOVE that resort. It's very shaded there and on the very hot days of July that will feel very nice on your walk from the bus to your room. The quiet pools are fun and in my experience are never very crowded......I just can't think of anything wrong with that place, with the exception of not being able to be there ALL the time......you and yours will LOVE it, I can almost guarantee it!!!!!!

I couldn't have said it better myself! POR is absolutely my favorite resort. We have already planned our 2008 trip and are staying at POR - I can't wait!

LarryBoy
06-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Ok we're booked! :joy: We will be staying at POR for our late July trip. :thumbsup: My wife and I are very excited. We have stayed at many of the resorts, including POFQ, but we have not been to POR as a family. We still can't believe we got such a good deal. I love WDW!

So anyway now we need your help deciding which section to request, Bayou or Mansion? Which building is best? Any other tips or advice you can give me about POR would be great.

DREAMADREAM93
06-07-2007, 05:12 PM
You can use the pools at POFQ and POR because its not considered poolhopping as i learned yesterday on a post.
Large rooms.
Awesome food court.

Its well worth it!
If given the chance, id stay at POR-FQ before AS in a heartbeat!!

JOrdan :]

katzctkpt
06-08-2007, 12:28 PM
On intercot check out the resort tab & go to maps. It'll show you the bldgs & location near pools & food court. POR is a big resort. We have always stayed in the Bayou section bldg 18 but, looking at the map I would say any of the bldgs 14-18 or 27 would be a good location. They are the closest to the food court and the south depot bus. The mansion side I've heard was really nice but they accomodate 4 not 5 that's why we've stayed in the Bayou.

14 days can't wait!!!