PDA

View Full Version : Question about neck coolers

Disneymom4ever
06-06-2007, 11:26 AM
I went out and bought a neck cooler at Wal-Mart today, to test out, and hopefully use for our upcoming trip in Aug. I did exactly what it said, and soaked for 3-5 min. in water.(I soaked it for 5). I patted it dry, but I have to say, it feels really damp if not wet, and somewhat slimy! I just can't put something slimy on my neck! Has anyone with experience with these had this problem? I'm just wondering if it's the brand, or if this is how they are? I was really excited about these, hoping they would help with the heat. Thanks for any advice! :mickey:

AuntDJ
06-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I have bought these from Academy before..I soaked them in ICE cold water then went and did yard work. All it really did was make me feel more wet then cool.

I think my Dad has used them and thought they did a great job, I just have never gotten the hang of them....

DJ

KylesMom
06-06-2007, 12:28 PM
We actually had the same experience last year with the neck coolers from Wal-Mart. Soaked them while @ WL & were just about to use them, when I noticed that this crystaline type stuff was pushing through the sides of the seams. Figuring it couldn't be good to get that stuff on your skin, I just threw them away. I don't know if it's harmful or not, but I didn't want anyone coming away with a nasty rash!

mulderxcoltrane
06-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Sharper Image has a battery-operated neck cooler that is amazing - but expensive. HOwever - if you're going during hot months - it might be worth the $.

countrynmore
07-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Wal-Mart gets a lot of their items from China. I have been making neck coolers for a long time and use them myself and sell them on my website. I never had a problem with the neck coolers feeling slimy. I think that it all has to do with the fabrics and how much crystals are put in the neck cooler. Also, if a person over soaks the neck cooler, then there could be a problem as well. I usually soak my neck cooler for about 30 minutes in ice water, or very cold water. I hope that you have fun on your trip to WDW.

OhGee
07-30-2007, 05:08 PM
My parents bought the Sharper Image neck coolers last year for our August trip. My mom loved it. I tried it out and it worked so well. At first it feels a little funny around your neck, but you get used to it. I feel it was worth the money. It really does cool you down. Will be getting myself one for our upcoming August trip.

pixiesmimi
07-31-2007, 11:35 PM
I used to sell these in my store and got mine from Australia where they use them all the time. Then we discovered we could make them ourselves around here. I like my original ones best because they aren't as slimy. We soak them for at least 30 minutes or until they are fully plumped. Then I squiggy them with my hands to get the excess water off and even pat them dry. They work great! I wore mine the whole time in June and it really made a difference. We use them for yard work and whatever outside. They stay plumped up for several days but I usually resoak them a while after using all day. Be sure to turn it on your neck when they feel warm on one side to refresh the cool. My DH has some that a coworker made him and they are a little more slimy. These are usually made with gel pellets from a nursery that are used in plantings to absorb water and keep the plants watered. That may be why there is a difference. I did not know that Wal-Mart sold them. I would be a little suspicious of anything made in China right now. If they feel a little slimy, just pat them down or dry off with a towel before wearing. This doesn't take away from their cooling ability and as far as I know, they shouldn't hurt your skin.

WDWFanatic
08-02-2007, 09:36 AM
I had to laugh when I read this. We tried the ones from Walmart and I felt like a had a slug around my neck all day and it didn't seem to really work all that well.

Good Luck.

pixiesmimi
08-03-2007, 08:40 AM
I haven't tried the ones from Wal-Mart but with two saying that they are slimy, I would try some from another source. One person on a previous thread said she got some off eBay and another said she Googled and found some. I wouldn't wear it if it felt slimy. Mine don't and they are worth the try if you can find another brand. The good ones are called Neck Buddy.

luvdiznee
08-03-2007, 09:02 AM
I've seen something like these on QVC called "Artic Cool Ties". While I haven't ordered them I have read the reviews on them and they seem to be mixed. :confused:

k_reile
08-03-2007, 04:00 PM
I just bought little mini fans at wal-mart yesterday....one looks like some type of fat pen and you fill it up with water and it will mist out for 7.88 and I also picked up a mini fan that folds into a cell phone like shape for 3.88 that takes 2 batteries(no water involved in this one)...thought they would both be small enough to take in my bag to the parks in Sept

pixiesmimi
08-04-2007, 11:01 AM
What part of Wal-Mart did you find these in? The only thing I have seen in Wal-Mart are the bottle misting fans that are about the same size as the ones in the park. I want something a little smaller. The ones you found sound interesting.

Beast_fanatic
08-04-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't know where those specific fans were found at Wal-Mart, but I have found some in the camping section in the past that were about the size of a roll of quarters. They work well and fit in my pocket. :thumbsup: