PDA

View Full Version : some doggie pixie dust please

Stitchahula
06-05-2007, 08:07 PM
My 10 year old lab is in the vet hospital right now. We don't know what's wrong with her. Her vet is hoping that's it's only an infection but she has said she's afraid it might be kidney failure. She's such a sweet girl and everyone loves her, she's more than a dog to me she's one of my kids. I don't know what I'll do if I have to say goodbye to her. It's only 3 days away from the 2nd anniversary of having to put her sister to sleep. I'm so not ready to loose her she is part of my heart. I have no idea what to tell my son. He loves her so much and is asking why she has to stay at the vets. Any pixie dust you can spare would be a help.

daparish
06-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Loads of prayers and :pixie: heading your way. My dog Beaux is 7 years old and I wish so bad he were just a puppy because I hate to think of the day when he is no longer with me. Please keep us updated.

merlinmagic4
06-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm hoping for the best for your doggie! Please let us know what happens. :pixie: :pixie: that it is only an infection and not kidney failure. What was happening with her, if you don't mind my asking...

AnnieBananie
06-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Lots of prayers heading your way.....My miniature schnauzer rescue, 9.5 years is so imbedded in my heart. He had kidney problems in Jan. and some antibotics and a prescription diet did the trick. I was scared because that was in the midst of the pet-food scare.....It's sometimes hard to share pet-issues with people who don't feel the same way about their pet as you do, so it's so good to have a place to talk about it.

Just know that your dog is in good hands and lots of people are sending pixie dust your way!!:mickey::mickey:

maizey05
06-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Lots of good wishes for you and your doggy. I hope, if it is kidney failure, that there is something you can do to nurse her along. I know of someone who had a cat with kidney failure, and just like the previous post says, the kitty was put on a special diet, and some TLC. The cat lived another 3 years.

Lizzy
06-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Prayers and pixie dust for your fur baby.

My friend has a cat that at 9 years started to go into kidney failure. She put the cat on a natural raw food diet, now the cat is 18 years old and is as active and healthy as any kitten. Might be something worth looking in to.

I do hope all is well. Keep us updated.

Stitchahula
06-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Shealin has had kidney disease for about 2 years now and has been on a special diet and on meds for it. Just recently she's become incontinent though and with the last few days she's been throwing up what ever she eats. Then she didn't want any food at all which is really unusual for a lab because they love food. I tried hamburger and rice on her she could hold that down she didn't even want her favorite bananas. They have her on Iv fluids and pepcid for her tummy also some antibiotics. I spoke to the vets a little while ago and they said she hasn't thrown up at all since she's been on her Iv and she's even managed to keep a little food down. I pray she will be alright. thank you everyone

Stitchahula
06-05-2007, 09:58 PM
sorry meant to say she couldn't hold down the hamburger and rice.

Jeremy
06-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Here is some more prayers and pixie dust.

:pixie::pixie::pixie:

MsMin
06-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Another animal lover here. I hope she bounces back and you have many more years with her. I know that for many of us our pets do feel like part of the family. Sending loads of :pixie: from Chloe and Max :paw: Keep us informed please.

mrsgaribaldi
06-06-2007, 06:55 AM
Prayers and :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:on the way for you and your baby.

disneydrmr
06-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Another doggie lover here... me and my two doggies are sending tons and tons of doggie dust your way! :pixie::pixie::pixie: Please keep us updated!

Stitchahula
06-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Well we just got back from visiting Shealin at the vets, they want to keep her another night. She threw up this morning and didn't want to eat, then she had a bm that was just liquid. She did seem a little perkier when we saw her this afternoon though. Her kidney levels were normal but I was told that could be because of the IV fluids they are pumping into her. The minute she saw us she came over to say hi wagging her tail and just layed down to snuggle. She's such a good girl when she saw "her boy" she licked his faced. She's always been so concerned about "her boy" ever since I was pregnant with him. She used to lay with her head on my belly to feel him kick, he got her good one day so she took her paw and bopped my stomach with it. Then after he was born first thing in the morning she would stand on the bed to look in the bassinett to make sure he was ok. God forbid should he cry she would panic and come running looking for me or my husband. She made the best nanny, I was hoping she would again. I'm due in 24 more days and I so want my baby girl around to help with this baby. Please keep the prayers and pixie dust coming every little bit helps. Thank you

merlinmagic4
06-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Sending more :pixie: :pixie: for a speedy recovery! Our dogs are like members of our family, too.

Dsnygirl
06-06-2007, 05:27 PM
I am sending as much doggie pixie dust as I can right now - your stories about Shealin just touched my heart. We have a 4yr old lab, and I think they are amazing. I sure hope she pulls through this and is able to "nanny" your new little girl...:pixie::dog::dog::pixie:

Stitchahula
06-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Well Unfortunately I don't have good news. We picked Shealin up from the vet yesterday they've done all they can for her and she isn't responding to treatment. They let us bring her home so we can have some time with her to say goodbye. We are going to try to wait until Monday but it will depend on how she does it's not fair to her to let her suffer I know this in my head but my heart is screaming NOOOOO. It was 2 years ago today we had to put her sister to sleep and I still haven't gotton over the pain of lossing her, I don't know how I'm going to survive this. It already feels as if someone has taken a knife and cut my heart out. People that don't love animals have no idea how you can love them so much it's because you can alway count on them no matter what they don't don't judge you or criticize you they only thing they want from you is your love and they love you no matter what. I want to thank everyone for the pixie dust and well wishes I wish it had been enough but I guess god had his own plans for my little girl. One of the hardest parts is trying to get my 4 yr old son to understand that she needs to go to heaven soon and we won't be able to see her again. He loves her so much and she him. He's never had a bath where she isn't laying beside the tub to make sure he's ok.:crying:

kakn7294
06-08-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm so sorry about your dog - I wish there was something I could do for you to ease your pain. Take heart in the fact that she has always been a happy and well-loved dog. You've done the best you could for her and made her life a good one. I'm sure in her own way she'll always be looking out for your family.

Tinkerfreak
06-08-2007, 09:37 AM
I just want to tell you how sorry I am. I had my little Springer Spaniel Misti for 12 years. She was DH and I's wedding gift to each other. She was the same way with our girls when I was preggers and after they were born. I always knew when one of them was getting sick because she would stick to them like glue and sleep at the foot of their bed. To this day when I am sick I automatically think of her and miss her special cuddly comfort. This is going to be a very hard time for your family. I hope that the new baby will take your mind off of your little furry friend and help ease your pain. You are right that non-animal lovers just don't understand our pain and sense of loss and tend to think we are over reacting. I am here to tell you that I absoultely understand your pain and it is just as real as the loss of any other family member.
Good luck and know that all of us other animal lovers are here to listen whenever you need us.

merlinmagic4
06-08-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm so sorry. This is heartbreaking news. It's hard to say goodbye but I hope the last times you have together are good ones. Here's some :pixie: for you and Shealin. I'm sure she knows how much you all love her.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-09-2007, 11:59 PM
Pixie dust for Shea. I'm hoping she's not in any pain.

Marilyn Michetti
06-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Oh, these are the hardest moment in life. Our pets, (now that we're older, and just the two of us), are our family. We'll face this with Bentley, the Bassett, who is 13, and has Valley Fever, but it will tear us up when it happens.

Here's praying for a miracle, and comfort. Nothing else will help, but our hearts are with you.:crying:

daparish
06-10-2007, 11:11 AM
I am so sorry. I can only imagine the pain you and your family are going through. I know how much I love my Beaux and it breaks my heart reading your story and feeling your pain. God bless.

MsMin
06-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Sending more :pixie: I know it's especially difficult to go through this as you are about to begin a new chapter in life with the new baby coming. I know you would love to have her share this with you.
I use the metaphor of the caterpillar and the butterfly to help explain to children about death. They have several good children's story books to help make the concept of death a little more understandable though your DS is a little young.
I think it's the unconditional love a pet provides that strengthens our attachment to them, it's sad that some ppl never experience the love from a dear pet.
Again, I am so sorry that it looks like this chapter in your life is closing and Shealin is so so sick. :paw:

Namine'
06-10-2007, 12:38 PM
I am so sorry . I know how hard it is. I lost a pet after 15years. Shealin is well loved and will always be in your hearts. My prayers and pixie dust to all.

Donald A
06-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Having 4 cats and 2 dogs (one is a lab/husky mix), I love animals too. Other than saying I am very sorry, let me offer this advice:

Realize that you gave this animal a wonderful life and she brought you enjoyment too. She lived a great life that millions of animals do not. Though it will be very hard, the opportunity to end your animal's suffering is a gift when done out of love.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

mtown71
06-10-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm sending a ton of pixie dust for you & your fur baby. Gosh, I do know how attached we can get to them. I cried my eyes out when my Riley (mini-daschaund) began coughing up white stuff. (it was bronchitis) He is 4 now & it scares me to think how much longer I may have with him. I am so sorry for what you & your family are going through. I don't have magic words for comfort but just spend what time you have left filling her with love.

Lizzy
06-10-2007, 08:08 PM
I am so sorry to hear the news. I was hoping your baby would pull through.

I had to put my beloved Bonnie down when my son was 6. I told him that Bonnie is staying with God right now. He needed her for a special task. My son seemed to take that well. He thought it was a good thing that we let God have her for help.