PDA

View Full Version : Advice forJob Interview *Update 6/14/07* I GOT the Job

tinktude
06-05-2007, 07:20 PM
I have a job interview on Friday for a pharmaceutical company in the quality department. When the recruiter set up the interview he told me the dress code for corprate offices is a skirt or dress for women, suit and tie for men. The question I have is what type of shoes should I wear?

I asked the recruiter about footwear, because he told me that he would take me on a tour of the facility; well where I work now you can't wear open-toe or open-heel shoes. He told me there was no restriction and to wear my "fanciest" pair, but I am not sure...

I am really having a hard time with the shoe thing.

Wish me luck, this could mean a substantial pay increase for my family!!!

wdw_bound
06-05-2007, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't wear a dress - I'd definitely wear a suit, especially if that is the dresscode for men. I wouldn't wear high heels - nothing over about an inch. Flats are fine too, so long as they are not big and clunky (unless you need that style for orthopedic reasons).

As a manager, I would expect any candidate I interviewed for a professional position to be in their best business attire, and to me that means a suit regardless of the applicants gender.

If you don't have a suit, put together your most conservative, professional looking outfit. "fancy shoes" are not something you want to be remembered for.

Good luck on the interview - remember also to get names and titles of anyone you interview with and follow up with a hand-written thank you note. While I've never hired anyone on the basis of a thank you note, I have brought marginal candidates back for a second look (and some of them have really done well in the second round).

ldn324
06-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Good luck on your interview!

I would also suggest a nice, very neutral suit (blue, black, etc.) and for shoes, as boring as it may seem, a simple pair of neutral colored shoes, low-heeled pumps - maybe 1/2" or so, closed toes and closed heel. I would steer away from anything with straps or elaborate decoration, although a simple buckle or tiny bow the same color of the shoe I think would be appropriate. You could easily and inexpensively pick up a pair at somewhere like Payless if you don't have a pair like that. Definitely when it comes to job interviews - in white collar type positions - conservative is always better. No flashy colors. Like wdw_bound said, you want to be remembered for your personality, skills and intelligence, not for your flashy shoes or outfit.

I wish you the best on your interview! Keep us posted.

crazypoohbear
06-05-2007, 08:03 PM
I'd go with low heeled pumps, closed toe and closed heel. Nothing high, strappy, hip, in vogue. Keep it Simple and basic
Good Luck with the interview:thumbsup:

daparish
06-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Just wanted to wish you luck on the interview. I also agree that the more conservative the better.

maizey05
06-05-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm adding this, because it was VERY important at my former corporate job. Wear pantyhoes. (It pains me to say this, as I hated wearing them at work, and think it's an outdated look, but that's the corporate world.) Good luck to you!

mrsgaribaldi
06-06-2007, 06:58 AM
I'd go with low heeled pumps, closed toe and closed heel. Nothing high, strappy, hip, in vogue. Keep it Simple and basic
Good Luck with the interview:thumbsup:

I agree with this 100% :pixie::pixie::pixie:for a great interview.

I just read maizey05 and I agree with her 100% too. Wear pantyhose no matter how hot it is. Good luck

tinktude
06-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Well, I had my interview yesterday....I think that it went really well. :D The HR person said I should hear something by Friday next week.

I have a really good feeling about this:)

I will update when I hear something.

scottgr
06-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Good Luck :mickey:

SBETigg
06-09-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm glad you have a good feeling about it. A lot of times, our instincts pay off. Best wishes for your success, and do keep us posted. :thumbsup:

MsMin
06-09-2007, 11:39 AM
:thumbsup: More luck!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-10-2007, 10:01 PM
I hope you get the good news you are looking forward to. Let us know what happens.

ChipDale
06-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I will update when I hear something.

Please post your update in this thread when you do (rather than starting another thread). If you'd like the title changed then, just PM a moderator. Thanks :)

mtown71
06-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Good to hear the interview went well. Hope it all works out for you! Pixie dust heading your way!

tinktude
06-16-2007, 09:14 PM
UPDATE!!! I got the job!!!! Of course, I have to pass my physical first, and give my two weeks notice, but the job is mine!!! 35% pay increase, lots of stock options, and much better benefits. WOW, I am kind of in shock, but excited too. :D

Now the only thing I am worried about is telling my boss that I am leaving. :( I have been with this company for 14 years, I am really feeling kind of guilty about leaving. I never thought that I would work for another company, they gave me my first job, my father worked for the same company for 37 years, this is one of the most difficult things I will have to do, any advice???

January-2007
06-16-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't really have any advice, I just want to say :congrats: on your new job, it sounds completely amazing. Moving on can be hard, but all the great things you have to look forward to sure will make it easier!

NotaGeek
06-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Now the only thing I am worried about is telling my boss that I am leaving. :( I have been with this company for 14 years, I am really feeling kind of guilty about leaving. I never thought that I would work for another company, they gave me my first job, my father worked for the same company for 37 years, this is one of the most difficult things I will have to do, any advice???

There is no need to feel bad, or weird. People give notice, it's part of owning/running a company. Just write out a 2 weeks notice and hand it in, but don't be shocked if they tell you your notice is not necessary ... at my present company if they know you are going to a competitor you are walked out by security after you collect your things and say you goodbyes ... but they do pay you for the 2 weeks.

Also, by professional standards you should not give any more information in your notice that is necessary, basically it should say "thank you for the last 10 years, but effective today I am tendering my 2 weeks notice and my last day will be XX"

:congrats:

mtown71
06-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Although I can't think of any good advice for you, I do want to congratulate you on getting the job! It sounds like a great opportunity. I am sure it will be hard to leave the old job but think how much better this one may be for you. :party:

Dsnygirl
06-18-2007, 08:33 AM
:congrats: Congratulations on your new job!! I don't really have any good advice to give you re: leaving your current company, but I'm sure that they will understand your reasons - the new job sounds like an awesome opportunity. Good luck to you!! :congrats:

RedSoxFan
06-18-2007, 10:06 AM
CONGRATS on getting the job. Best wishes to you in your new career.:thumbsup: