PDA

View Full Version : Spyware Help Needed!

Mr. Brass Bonanza
06-05-2007, 03:36 PM
My PC got infested with spyware. A Microsoft message said I should use SpyLocked, so that's what I did. Before that, I downloaded Dr. Antispy. Are BOTH of these rouge programs? Should I get rid of them? If so, what should I get?

THANK YOU!!!!

disneydrmr
06-05-2007, 03:45 PM
We use Counterspy here at work and it works GREAT! We have it set to run during our lunch hours and it always finds the spyware.

BrerGnat
06-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Download MaxSecure Spyware Detector 2.0.

It costs $30, but honestly, it is worth it. It removed on average of 30 spyware threats on my computer daily.

You can look up some reviews of it online. It has the highest marks consistently among the reviews of spyware removal programs I researched. It runs very quickly and takes up virtually no memory.

curealsoon
06-05-2007, 04:45 PM
I use Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware SE. Both are free. :thumbsup: Good luck!

WDWCP Spring99
06-05-2007, 05:08 PM
From what I see on the Internet; SpyLocked is what some refer to as "Ransomware". It issues fake security warnings to scare the user into purchasing the full version.

Like the above poster I have used both Spybot Search and Destroy, and Lavasoft Ad-Aware to protect against problems in the past. I would suggest downloading them and re-starting your computer in "Safe-Mode" by pressing F8 at boot up and running both programs to hopefully wipe out this malware.

If I can offer any additional information, please send me a PM and I'll do my best to help you out.

Good luck!
Brian

DizneyRox
06-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Spybot Search and Destroy - download from - safer-networking.net

Lavasoft Ad-Aware - download from lavasoftusa.com

Never heard of those others, the above are free and trusted. The ones you mention have raised an eyebrow. I wouldn't trust them. I think Microsoft would have pushed their own product(s) if it was a real message, so I suspect that message to buy SpyLocked is bogun.

Marker
06-05-2007, 07:10 PM
I use Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware SE. Both are free. :thumbsup: Good luck!

Ditto!!!!!

I can't imagine MicroSoft promoting some other vendor. Often, a quick search will provide useful information such as this from Wikipedia -- "SpyLocked is also known as SpywareLocked, which is a rogue software, "ransomware", that seeks to trick the user into purchasing its full rogue version. SpyLocked will issue fake security messages alleging that the user's computer is infected with malicious spyware threats. Once installed, SpyLocked may be very difficult to remove and may re-install itself after partial removal."

Altair
06-05-2007, 07:43 PM
I had the spylocked thing end up on my task bar and it kept sending out warnings. My PCcillin antivirus told me it was a trojan, but could not get rid of it. Finally an update showed up for Adaware and that got rid of it.
Try downloading Adaware and running it.:thumbsup:

TiggerRPh
06-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Spy Sweeper by Webroot is one of the best products out there and I highly recommend it....if you have to use a PC, if not....get a Mac.

vizsla
06-06-2007, 05:41 AM
I use Spy Sweeper by Microsoft and Ad-Ware SE by lavasoft and they are both excellent programs. I run both of the programs every other day and if one doesn't find all the spyware the other one picks it up.

tinktude
06-06-2007, 10:50 AM
OMG!! I am going through the same thing with the SpyLocked, except it hijacked my internet explorer, and now everytime I pull up internet explorer it goes to their web site and I can't get out!!!!

Husband is trying to fix, hope he can!!!

TiggerRPh
06-09-2007, 12:22 PM
I use Spy Sweeper by Microsoft and Ad-Ware SE by lavasoft and they are both excellent programs. I run both of the programs every other day and if one doesn't find all the spyware the other one picks it up.

Microsoft doesn't make Spy Sweeper, Webroot does. I wouldn't trust Microsoft with any spyware issues anyway. If they'd spend the time and money on plugging the holes in their OS, it wouldn't be an issue.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Our IT guy suggested Spybot too.