PDA

View Full Version : DL Magic Kingdom or WDW Magic Kingdom?

caryrae
06-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Let just say there was only DL and MK in WDW, no other parks, NO AK, MGM, Epcot, or DCA.

Which would you visit more DL or WDW MK?

I would have to say MK in WDW since I was at DL when I was very young and don't remember much about it but I hope to get there again sometime as an adult.

Dakota Rose
06-05-2007, 03:35 PM
As similar as they are, DL and MK are different experiences. DL is quaint where MK is grand. And, being a Cinderella fan, MK has the 'right' castle for me! :blush:

Until our back-to-back WDW and DLR trips 18 mos ago, I didn't realize how much more I prefer MK to DL. I could list the reasons, but...maybe later. :secret:

DisneyNut2005
06-05-2007, 03:48 PM
I know I might get flamed for saying this, but I do not enjoy these DL vs. WDW debates.

Both parks are great in their own special ways. I don't think that one is better than the other. They're both different, which gives people like me more of a reason to want to visit them both.

They both have their pros and cons. I love them both equally and they both deserve to be treated as equals.

pshokie
06-05-2007, 03:55 PM
My first time to WDW was in 1980. Before that, it was all Disneyland. Never thought much of it. They were the same park. Only difference was I knew of was Space Mountain (2tracks vs 1) and no Matterhorn at WDW. Went to WDW like 4 times in the 80's. Then in 1990 I returned to Disneyland for the first time on over 10 years.

It felt soooooo small.

I never realized how cramped it felt in comparison. Probably becuase I had nothing to compare it too until then. ;)

It was also weird cause in 1990, they still had a parking lot right in front of Disneyland(eventualy DCA would go there). It felt odd to park in front of Disneyland and walk into the park.

Mind you, I would still like to go back though! :cool:

BelleBeauty
06-05-2007, 04:38 PM
I agree that both resorts have their own special qualities. I enjoy both equally, but picked WDW just because it is my orignal Disney. I think mixing up both is great because it allows you to experience the same magic and the same rides in a new way.

mickey-mouse35
06-05-2007, 04:49 PM
I prefer WDW just because I like S P A C E -- DL is nice but so small and cramped. However, I do like the bayou/Pirates better at DL and love the Monte Cristo sandwich there!!! :D

Lucille
06-05-2007, 04:59 PM
I found this thread slightly confusing since the question posed in the poll was different from the one posed in the body of the first post.

If it is a question of which do you prefer instead of which would you visit more, I am curious as to how many people have visited both.

Either way I definately prefer Disneyland. Sure the castle is smaller but ride for ride, land for land I think DL really has an edge.

*POTC is much longer and far superior

*DL has the Blue Bayou, nothing in all of WDW comes close.

*Updated Haunted Mansion

*Updated Space Mountain

*FANTASYLAND in general! DL's includes: The Matterhorn, Mr. Toad, Alice in Wonderland, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Storybookland Canal Boats, & Pinocchio's Daring Journey

*Canoes! Canoes! Canoes!

*A petting zoo

*In addition to the riverboat there is also the sailing ship Columbia

*Billy Hill and the Hillbillies!!

*A monorail that takes you inside the park

*Indiana Jones

*A Toontown that is worth visiting, Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin is a hoot!

*Seeing Its a Small World lit up at night

*The ability to quicky get from one side of the park to the other and it not feeling like a death march.

*The mild Southern California climate

*The return of the Submaries

*The Disney Gallery and Walt's Apartment.

*Being in the park that Walt designed and built.

lindique
06-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Disneyland's Magic Kingdom is superior, in my opinion. The rides are much better (upgraded) versions, and there are more of them. I'm looking forward to going there next year, when the new Submarine ride is open.

However, which park would I visit more often? Probably, Florida, since it's much closer. Since most of us on INTERCOT are East Coasters, it's a much shorter (and cheaper) plane ride or car ride for most.

ccchild
06-05-2007, 07:27 PM
I've been to both twice in the past year, and as far as MK is concerned, I'd say Disneyland wins hands-down. Except for the castle, it didn't feel smaller to me, and it benefits from more and updated attractions. Really, the only ride that I prefer the WDW version of is Splash Mountain. (Although, I also love me some TTA!)

c&d
06-05-2007, 07:44 PM
I chose DL. I like the smallness of it. I love Pirates at DL and eating at the Blue Bayou and watching the ride. I loved riding the Matterhorn and Indy Jones ride and seeing A Small World the way I remember it from the 64 World's Fair. I love the way the monorail winds its way into the MK.

I also picked it for sentimental reasons, it was the place it all began and I remember growing up really wanting to go there.

dolphinmickey9170
06-05-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't see myself ever going to California. So Florida it is!!

cgriff
06-05-2007, 08:40 PM
The Magic Kingdom only exists at WDW. :thedolls:

Though I like both parks a lot, I voted for Disneyland. Its relative "smallness" or "quaintness" is not a bad thing; after all, fewer steps between attractions conserves personal energy!

nickcapp
06-05-2007, 09:39 PM
No comparison for me...

Disneyland beats the MK hands down...

(Epcot is my favorite however...)

iceicebritney
06-05-2007, 09:42 PM
the DL park is just so much more crowded and condensed. its nice that wdw is so spread out between the different lands, etc.

BritCody
06-06-2007, 06:31 AM
I picked MK in Florida. I like the fact that it is bigger, but the deciding factor is it is closer

Carol
06-06-2007, 07:21 AM
You shouldn't vote if you haven't been to both.

There is absolutely no comparison between the two. It's apples and oranges. Disneyland's attractions are much, much better. They have outstanding entertainment, New Orleans Square and the most important factor for me -- Walt. You actually feel him in the park.

LibertyTreeGal
06-06-2007, 07:38 AM
You shouldn't vote if you haven't been to both.

There is absolutely no comparison between the two. It's apples and oranges. Disneyland's attractions are much, much better. They have outstanding entertainment, New Orleans Square and the most important factor for me -- Walt. You actually feel him in the park.

I agree with Carol -- POTC is worlds better, ditto for SM, Tiki Room, and the new and improved HM. There is nothing else in the Disney universe like New Orleans Square and the Blue Bayou. And Toontown is better at DL, no contest. Yes, DL does not flow as efficiently, but the rides are far superior.

Jared
06-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Disneyland is simply a better park than the Magic Kingdom. Pirates of the Caribbean and Indiana Jones Adventure are my two favorite attractions in Disneyland, and neither exist at its Florida counterpart.

As Carol said, Walt Disney's presence is all over Disneyland.

I'd choose a Walt Disney World vacation over a Disneyland vacation, though.

Jeff G
06-06-2007, 05:39 PM
After reading these posts it sounds like a trip to California next year may need to be in the works.

2Epcot
06-06-2007, 06:18 PM
I definately prefer Disneyland. Sure the castle is smaller but ride for ride, land for land I think DL really has an edge.

Disneyland is simply a better park than the Magic Kingdom. As Carol said, Walt Disney's presence is all over Disneyland.

I would agree with all of these statements. Just comparing Disneyland and WDW's Magic Kingdom... I would go to Disneyland everytime. Of course WDW is made up of several parks, which makes it more of a vacation destination.

Yes, Disneyland sits in the middle of a city, but all the people talking about how cramped Disneyland is, I never feel like that walking in the park. Both parks don't have much space during the peak seasons.

I also agree if you haven't been to both parks, or you haven't been since you were a little kid, you can't really make an accurate comparison.

Davyjones
06-06-2007, 06:29 PM
I definitely prefer DL over WDW when it comes to the "Magic Kingdom" thing. I think I like the cramped feel of the park; I don't know why. Also, it is the original park, and I feel that it is very true that you can feel Walt's presence in DL more than in WDW.

Or it could be that I LOVE the Monte Cristo sandwiches so much...Man, I want one now...

meldan98
06-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Hands down for me it will be Disneyland!

I love walking through the left tunnel and saying Hi to Walt at the Fire House apartment. They leave a light burning in the front window to remind everyone that he's looking down on us.

I love walking through the castle with my daughter just like Walt and Mickey did on opening day and taking a picture of it each year.

Taking my daughter to the Snow White Wishing Well every visit and letting her make a wish in the same well that my husband proposed to me at.

Yes, MK in WDW is wonderful, but knowing that Walt lived in that park and had such a hand in molding and shaping it and my own memories will always make DL #1 in my heart.

This is Dox
06-06-2007, 11:36 PM
DW and I just returned from DL and I was going to start a thread comparing MK to DL, but I should have known we'd be 2 pages deep into one already.;)

I think this a great topic and an unavoidable debate, seeing as how all our passions run deep on all details big and small regarding Disney parks. So I feel compelled to add to the discussion and hopefully stimulate a few emotions and generate some interesting feedback.

I first visited DL back in 1982 as a pre-teen and never got the chance to visit another Disney park until my honeymoon in 2003. The magic stuck with me enough to compel me to want to spend my first days as a married man in the enchanted confines of "the happiest place on earth". We'll I've always heard that WDW was better so DW and I chose Orlando over Anaheim. We have since been back everyear and I usually start planning next years trip the day after this years ends. I have become an amateur historian on both DL and MK , constantly researching books and the internet. I'm the guy that would stop a stranger on the street if I heard they were planning their first "magical gathering" and advise them until they had me arrested. In short, I'm hooked.

Having said that, being the fanatic that I am, I felt that after four years it was time to return to the place that started it all. DW and I were thrilled to finally get a chance to compare and contrast DL and MK, and get a chance to share my thoughts in a forum like this. So here goes...

I think it's almost impossible to simply compare DL and MK alone without their fellow neighboring parks. Part of WDW's charm is Epcot, MGM, and AK. The same could be said for Dl and California Adventure. It wouldn't be fair not to consider there added entertainment value, especially when they are so easily accessable to each other. But just for the sake of this arguement, we'll pretend that only MK and DL exist and I will address some of the hot points already discussed.

1 . Size - MK Definitley has the advantage here. Not only is the park bigger, but so are the attractions.( I couldn't help but wonder where the rest of SB castle was:).) The RR station, bigger. Space Mountain, bigger. The Castle, much bigger! But notice I didn't say "better". It's true there is more room at MK, but the fact of the matter is that DL uses it's smaller space better. Fantasy Land alone boasts more attractions than it's Florida counterpart. Aside from Mickey Philharmagic, Dl has everything MK has plus some it doesn't, such as Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toads wild Ride,the simple but charming Story Book Land boat ride and the adjacent Casey Jr. circus train, and Pinnochios Daring Journey. Not to mention that big hunk of rock seperating FL and Tomorrow Land.

2. Attractions- I couldn't help but feel that the attractions at DL were better than MK. And I'm not just talking about upgrades.I've been noticing that the HM and POTC at MK have been slipping in lighting and affect quality. Things like the floating candle and the spanish fort were barely visable. At DL they were clear and vibrant.
Also I can't imagine why MK doesn't have an Indiana Jones Ride.

3.Lands- One of the things I missed most at DL was Liberty Square. I love the nostalgia and patriotism of it. However, New Orleans Square is exciting and beautiful. I wish they both featured both lands.

4. Walt - I've read that some of you prefer DL because of Walt's presence. I can understand the thrill of being near his firehouse apartment or walking in his footsteps under ths castle gate. But for me it's an equal feeling at each park. Sometimes I forget that he never actually set foot in MK and I have no trouble picturing him there. Without sounding to mushy, I try to keep his spirit with me everywhere I go. He was a great man and I regret he never got to see what DL eventually led to.

You're probably about as tired of reading this as I am typing it so I'll wrap it up. It may sound like I prefer DL to MK but that's probably because I'm fresh from a visit from there. The truth is is that I find both to be magical and will probably be returning to both as often as possible. I advise everyone to experiance both parks for yourselves and enjoy them with your loved ones as much as possible.:mickey:

"THINK OF HAPPY THINGS, IT'S THE SAME AS HAVING WINGS!"

This is Dox
06-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Disneyland is simply a better park than the Magic Kingdom. Pirates of the Caribbean and Indiana Jones Adventure are my two favorite attractions in Disneyland, and neither exist at its Florida counterpart.

As Carol said, Walt Disney's presence is all over Disneyland.

I'd choose a Walt Disney World vacation over a Disneyland vacation, though.

Next time you're in Florida, stick your head into that spanish castle looking building in Adventureland. You'll find a Pirates Of The Caribean attraction in there.:scratch:

2Epcot
06-07-2007, 12:23 AM
It may sound like I prefer DL to MK but that's probably because I'm fresh from a visit from there. The truth is is that I find both to be magical and will probably be returning to both as often as possible. I advise everyone to experiance both parks for yourselves and enjoy them with your loved ones as much as possible.:mickey:!

Great post, I enjoyed reading it. I especially like your last sentence... Visting both parks as much as possible is really the best way to enjoy all the magic Walt created.

Jared
06-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Next time you're in Florida, stick your head into that spanish castle looking building in Adventureland. You'll find a Pirates Of The Caribean attraction in there.:scratch:
If you've ridden Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland, you should understand what I meant. The rides are completely different and incomparable.

Lucille
06-07-2007, 12:26 PM
If you've ridden Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland, you should understand what I meant. The rides are completely different and incomparable.

I understand completely. When we visit DL we ride POTC over and over. At WDW, on a 10 day trip, we usually ride once, maybe twice. After riding the original, it really seems like a rip-off.

Figment78
06-07-2007, 01:00 PM

I have ridden PotC in DL and I am stumped by everyone's HUGE preference for it over the MK. Yes there is a big dip and you float along in the darkness a bit longer. I also felt as if I sat lower in relationship to the "show" which made it feel a bit grander. But I was as not impressed with the "differences" as everyone else seems to be. Also, other than building/queue/loading area, I didn't notice much difference in the HM ride itself either.

Actually, the only ride that I found to be "better" in DL was Space Mountain. I loved that!

I too am getting tired of the Disneyland vs. Disney World debate on these boards. To me it just seems like people trying to claim that an opinion is a fact. For example: people favoring Disneyland continually try to say that DL is the only park that is "Walt's Park" and that to me sounds like they are trying to state a fact and one that isn't even true (How can everyone ignore Walt's role in "the Florida Project?!" Maybe he wasn't there when it opened but he did have a part in it's creation!) Anyhow, opinions like, "I feel cramped or my favorite rides are in DL," are understandable and even educational, but I hope we can avoid hidden putdowns (for either park) and all just get along so they don't decide to separate the message boards again!

meldan98
06-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love anything Disney. I've been to DL a lot because I live in CA and I have a ton of wonderful memories there. I've been to the MK twice and I have enjoyed it and loved it. I don't think it's a matter of knocking one over the other, I think it's just a matter of preference. There are some things I like better at MK, than I do at DL, and vice versa.

I just don't want to see this poll turn into an ugly debate about how wrong it is to compare them or how one park is much better than the others.

dog-ears
06-07-2007, 01:24 PM
I voted for DL mostly for sentimental reasons - I grew up in California and going to DL was the highlight of the year as a child. It is the first and original MK - WDW MK was built as a (mostly) duplication. MK is the essence of DL whereas at WDW it is just one park of several. Although I haven't been to DL for a while, I will always feel loyal to it - in my mind I am there as a kid wearing my :mickey: and having the time of my life!

poohmom787
06-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Okay, since I am from California I am a little biased. I grew up going to DL and that will ALWAYS be my favorite, but I love MK almost as much. I love POTC at DL because of the boyou setting you go through before the falls. Fantasyland has a little more than MK. Splash mountain is longer at MK than DL. Either way I see it, I would rather be at either park than sitting here at work.

GrmGrninGost
06-07-2007, 06:40 PM
I'll have to go with DL!:mickey: There are more rides there that I love! Rides like the Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, Casey Jr., Canal Boats, Jolly Trolley, Car Toon Spin and Mr. Toad. They also haven't messed up there Tike room! (yet) Hopefully in the next few years we will vacation at DL, in the mean time I am perfectly content to visit WDW yearly!

LandFan
06-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Disney World's MK is much grander (as someone said earlier in the post). If you go to MK all the time, DL seems small by comparison, as if they forgot a land or two. Don't get me wrong, I love them both, but MK is cooler.

This is Dox
06-07-2007, 10:34 PM

And if you had read my first post you would know that I just came from DL and preferred that POTC to the MK version. I just can't beleive that any Disney enthusiast can't appreciate the attraction even if it is slightly inferior. No offense intended.

scoot241
06-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Things that are "better" or only at DL:
PotC (including Blue Bayou)
Haunted Mansion (slightly)
Tiki Room
Space Mountain
Indiana Jones
Alice in Wonderland
Storybook Canal Boats
Casey Jr.
Pinnochio's Daring Journey
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Sailing Ship Columbia
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
New Orleans Square
Critter Country
Matterhorn

Things that are "better" or only at WDW:
Splash Mountain
Astro-Orbiter
TTA
Mickey's Philharmagic
Hall of Presidents
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Country Bear Jamboree
Pooh's Playful Spot
Carousel of Progress
Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor
Stitch's Great Escape
Spectromagic
Liberty Square

Toss-ups:
The Castles

Notes:
I tried to make this list as complete as possible. However, I may have missed an item or two. I realize that "better" is a subjective term, but I tried to be objective as possible in determining "better".

I personally believe that overall, DL is a better park than WDW's MK. To me, at DL the little things get a bit more attention than at the MK. But that doesn't mean I won't be going to WDW anytime soon. In fact I'll probably still be going to WDW a lot more overall. The overall resort experience at WDW is definitely better than the DL resort.

mttafire
06-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Park to park..I like D.L. better..However, As a vacation destination i like Disneyworld 100% more. Disneyland is a GREAT place! We love it. But it seems more like a weekend getaway than a vacation. All in all you have to compare both PLACES not just parks. Doing that ill ALWAYS choose DisneyWorld. That after all is why Walt built in Orlando...He knew what he was doing!!:thumbsup:
Too bad he didnt get to see it finished.

TiggerRPh
06-08-2007, 01:56 AM
I love both parks, but would visit WDW's Magic Kingdom more often only because it's closer and costs me less to get there....and we are DVC Members and it's less points to stay at OKW than any of the DL hotels.

Lizzie
06-08-2007, 02:08 AM
We go to MK in Florida more often but Disneyland will always have my heart.

Morpheous
06-08-2007, 02:26 AM
I have to say that while the WDW MK is great, I would give the preference to Disneyland. Overall though I can't really vote one way or the other. THey are each different.

I think Disneyland's Original rides are better then the copys with the exeption being Splash Mountain. Space Mountain in Disneyland in my oppinion is by far better. Plus the Matterhorn.. Ive always loved the matterhorn and Disneyworld doesnt have this. Plus Indiana Jones The Ride which is one of my favorite all time rides.

Yes I am aware though that some have said the track at WDW Space Mountain is the Matterhorn track.. But I have to say that the Matterhorn track is best when your going in an out of a mountain around waterfalls and through frozen caverns. Not in the darkness with stars :).

Plus last time I went Disneyland still has Mr Toads Wild Ride! I also like the fact that I can ride Star Tours in the Disneyland park, as to where in WDW I have to go to MGM/Disney-Pixar Studios.

So Ultimatly while I think both have their own uniqueness and greatness to them.. Id have to pull for Disneyland because all my favorite rides there are all in one spot!