PDA

View Full Version : New Years?

Deesdisney
06-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Is it really busy on New years eve at the parks? Which park has the least people? On the 2nd does the parks start emptying out? Trying to figure out a trip in Jan. If you can help thank you. If you have been there please tell me if it was nice? Alot of questions I know.:blush:

Auburnu21
06-05-2007, 02:39 PM
My family and I have gone to the parks for New Year's (few days before and a day or two after) several times over the last 10 years. This is the BUSIEST time of the year. That said, I don't find the amount of people at the parks to be unbearable (probably because I've become accustomed to it).

We've found that Epcot is the best place for New Year's Eve. There is a lot more room for people to spread out and they have the best show by far! Just make sure that you get to the park early (don't plan on leaving during the day) and make ADR's 180 days out if you want to eat at any of the restaurants.

The parks do thin out a little after the 1st, but they are still relatively crowded. Enjoy your trip! :mickey:

Roo Girl
06-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi Deesdisney! DH and I went to WDW this past New Year's and I had the same questions about this time last year. Yes, all 4 parks are very very busy- they absolutely will close for capacity reasons early on (approx. 10am-11am) in the day New Year's Eve.
DH and I arrived on 12/30 to get a break 1 day before the holiday hullabaloo. It was busy but not crazy. We read all we could about the park's potential closing on New years Eve and decided Epcot was the park for us. We arrived at Epcot at 9am and stayed for the...whole...day. And let me tell you, 15 HOURS in Epcot with no hotel room rest break is really really a long day- but SO WORTH IT for the experience and camraderie alone.
Epcot is the BEST park to handle the crowds it will accept that day- 110,000 people in Epcot alone- no joke, a CM confirmed that. MK, I hear but cannot confirm, is one of the worst - very narrow walkways, etc. Stick with Epcot but don't plan on leaving- one you're in, you're in. It was funny to see people spread out on blankets on the grasses of Epcot; you just never see that on a regular day at that park. Epcot does a fantastic time w/ crowd control and even when we all were emptying out after Illuminations at approx 12:30am it was never ever an issue with being trampled or anything like that. The worst part: we were just so TIRED, is all. The parks have a great energy about them post-dinner on new Year's Eve, it is really an amazing feeling to be there, one with all your friends at WDW. Plus, Illuminations for New Years is really awesome- if I wasn't so tired, it would have brought a tear to my eye.
DH and I assumed that Jan 2nd the parks would be empty and we could totally enjoy it, etc. NOPE!!!! We stayed through Jan 3rd and the parks NEVER let up. I was most surprised at that, I think.
Have a great trip and remember there is no better place to ring in the new year.

Zippy_D_DooDah
06-05-2007, 02:45 PM
MK fills up first, then Epcot, and then the Studios. Does AK even do a New Year's Celebration? Busy, busy, busy... I have heard that the parks empty out that next week following New Years.

browneyedgirl12
06-05-2007, 09:55 PM
We went last year for New Years and MK filled to max capacity around noon and we decided to leave Epcot because of all the people, we ended up at MGM and had a grat time listening to the DJ and dancing around and listening to Mud Sweat and Shears (I think that was the name of the band) they played a lot of older songs which my parents really enjoyed but I had a great time too!!! I wouldn't advise bringing little ones (even my 10 year old brother was cranky by mignight) but the fireworks are aweome and the countdown is fun!!! If you are a night owl I would really reccomend trying it but I do reccomend sleeping in late that day. As for if its busy the next couple of days I can't relly help you but I can't imagine everyone leaving the next day but you never know.
Hope this helped some :mickey:

Deesdisney
06-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Thank you for your postings. I have done New Years at Disneyland alot growing up. Just wanted to see if it was as packed at WDW. Maybe this year I will be able to go.

LovinWDW
06-06-2007, 11:10 PM
We did the MK for new years 2 years ago. At 10:30 in the morning they started to refuse guests at the front gate. I asked a CM how many people they let in before they start to refuse guests? His reply was 70,000. It was packed beyond belief, literally shoulder to shoulder. With that being said, I'm glad we did it. We always wanted to be in the MK for a New Years celebration. Would I do it again? Sure, if my kids wanted too. :party: