PDA

View Full Version : Dining review Chefs de France

Bruegge
06-05-2007, 12:39 PM
For those who don't remember me I was the guy who wanted to go to the bistro upstairs but was told no kids menu and that the place.. well...didn't cater to kids...

We tried Chefs instead... Loud, Crowded.

Tuna was served medium to medium well, I'm used to tuna (advertised as Rare) to be somewhat like the asian type seared outside, red and cool in the center almost like a sushi.

The tuna was good, it tasted like it was cooked or held in a broth... again not the presentation I'd expected.

Onion soup was great, Bisque was good also.

Sevice was good and attentive but I got a glass of wine (chard) with my soup and a different chard (pouilly Fussie) with the tuna.

They brought a sweet resling or dessert wine by mistake, I told the waiter that I didn't think this was Poully and he said ..Yes it is. (While not a steward I was sure it wasn't because DW had a glass with her bisque and I had a taste to compare the two chards, this was very sweet)..... I said no ... it's not try it if you want.

Instead of just saying OK and bringing the right one he asked if I like sweet or dry.. I said I just want the pouilly ..

(Now I would have just gone and got the bottle and poured it in front of me to "make the stupid american happy" )

he again asked if I liked the first glass hinting that he is going to bring what I like not what I ordered. ..... He brought back what I believe was the correct glass and life went on.

We both got the cream brulee but my wife's wasn't hit with the torch. It was runny with on top. Mine was fine.

Guess they missed one in the assembly line.

DW had the Steak, potato gratin and green beans. While good, nothing to brag about (according to her)

2 adults 2 kids, $220.00 drinks , apps, entrees, desserts, coffee and cordials.

Never again.

Narcoosee's was the stand out even (never thought I'd say this) over the California grill.

Scott

SBETigg
06-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Oh darn, I was hoping it would be good for you. This one does go up and down in quality, and we've been there for both. When it's good, it's really really good. And when it's bad... well, you know how it goes, unfortunately.

On more than one occasion (not at Disney, at local restaurants) I have been quite certain that they have given me the wrong wine when ordering by the glass. I think it happens more than we'd like to know. Bummer.

Natazu
06-06-2007, 03:55 AM
So, you're with me the next time I call Chef's a fancy, overpriced Cracker Barrel?

auntfrannie
06-06-2007, 07:07 AM
So, you're with me the next time I call Chef's a fancy, overpriced Cracker Barrel?

Come on, Jym....let's show some class! I think you would have to call it "Boite a Biscuits" and not just Cracker Barrel! Or at the very least, Le Cracker Barrel! :D

Spaceship Tigger
06-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Chefs de France (especially in the age of the DDP) is what I would expect from a WDW one-credit TS. Potentially good food, but nothing really memorable. I wouldn't go to any one-credit TS expecting an extraordinary meal anymore. In this day and age we pick our TS restaurants more on theme than food and service.

We're eating at Chefs next trip because we enjoyed our last visit. Yes, it was loud and crowded, but the service was good and the food was pretty good.

Bruegge
06-06-2007, 11:25 AM

I had hoped you were a little overcritical.... I was just afraid to take a DD's 3,8 upstairs to the Bistro.

Shouda coulda woulda....

DW called it French Fast Food

thanks for your input

Scott

Bruegge
06-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Come on, Jym....let's show some class! I think you would have to call it "Boite a Biscuits" and not just Cracker Barrel! Or at the very least, Le Cracker Barrel! :D

LOL,

When I first asked for input everyone was so...... politically correct ...noting only slight problems... Now that "I OPENED IT ALL UP"

Everyone is saying .... told ya so...LOL

Scott

SBETigg
06-06-2007, 12:19 PM
No, really, it can be good! And nothing like Cracker Barrel in the past, but maybe now. Jym obviously missed the good days. The last time I went, it wasn't good but I have seen good reviews since then, so I had high hopes for you.

And honestly, I still think it would have been a huge mistake to bring the kids up to Bistro.

snifflesmcg
06-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Oh No! I have ADR there in September. I was really hoping that this place was an overlooked gem. I had read other reviews that were great. Now what should I do :confused:

Checkers
06-06-2007, 12:32 PM
My DH & I used to go to Chef's the first night of every trip, however, we are tired of the same menu which hasn't changed in what seems like years. We have decided to just go there for lunch if at all. I agree about the 1TS restaurants. If you want a truly outstanding meal and are on the DDP, you should go to the 2TS restaurants.:mickey:

busterthebronco
06-08-2007, 12:31 PM
i agree.
narcoosees and bistro are the best restaurants period.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

ElenitaB
06-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Never having eaten at a Cracker Barrel I certainly can't make the comparison.

I guess that this cosmopolitan foodie is all wrong when I thought our meal there was very nice. Of course, we went on a very, very quiet day (the day Epcot reopened after Hurricane Francis). Everything was quite nice (I had the "French Menu" lunch) and the CMs were very attentive to my son who was 8 or 9 at the time (who also liked his fish very much).

I look forward to going back to Chefs de France one day... like I always say, there are too few days and too many restaurants.

SBETigg
06-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Never having eaten at a Cracker Barrel I certainly can't make the comparison.

I look forward to going back to Chefs de France one day... like I always say, there are too few days and too many restaurants.

Ellen, I haven't either! Never been to Cracker Barrel (so I guess I can't safely say it wasn't like CB in the past, but not like I imagine any CB could be) but I'm glad you liked your Chefs experience. My daughter really loved it when we were there when she was about eight. Last trip (she was twelve and we were soaked from Hurricane Wilma) she didn't love it. But I have such fond memories of Chefs from past trips that I keep hoping it bounces back.

cgriff
06-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Cracker Barrel? I *LOVE* Cracker Barrel! It's a common breakfast stop when driving from home to WDW. Do they serve biscuits & gravy and peach pancakes at Chefs de France???
:tasty:

cgriff

Natazu
06-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Cracker Barrel? I *LOVE* Cracker Barrel! It's a common breakfast stop when driving from home to WDW. Do they serve biscuits & gravy and peach pancakes at Chefs de France???
:tasty:

cgriff

Biscuits et Sauce au jus Blanche Avec des Crêpes de Pêche - $31.95 ;)