PDA

View Full Version : Just Need A Little Pixie Dust And Good Thoughts

MMouse6937
06-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi all, if you remember a while ago I posted that I was fostering a mamma cat and her three baby boys. They grew up and I had to bring them back to the humane society to be put up for adoption. We were going to take a break from fostering for a little while but they had so many litters that I agreed to take another one. These were five kittens, no mamma. Three orange tabbies and two white and peach siamese. They were filthy dirty and really small so I took them home, washed them all, gave them meds for crust in their eyes, ear mites, etc. They all ate really well, didn't have to bottle feed any of them so I thought we were doing well. I was bringing them to work getting them used to people, other surroundings and they were really flourishing.

The Sunday of Memorial Day weekend I woke up and one of the white siamese Meredith was a little "tired", she didn't come running to me when she saw me. I called the kennel lady who recommended I get some kitten formula, and bring her to the shelter later for a shot of some antibiotics and fluids. While I was at the shelter with her I went into the kennel and said hi to the mamma cat that I had before, Sidney. I had a friend that was going to adopt her and we were coming in a few days to pick her up. Meredith seemed to perk up a little bit but by 2:30 Monday morning I woke up and she was laboring to breathe. Two hours later she died in my arms. I was devestated.

We were watching the other kittens really close and found that Addison was starting to be a little lethargic. I called the shelter right away to try to catch her earlier with fluids and meds. They had me bring her back in so the doctors could take a look at her. While I was there I was letting one of the workers know we would be there next day to pick up Sidney, only to find out she had a complication with her surgery and was found dead in her cage on Monday morning, close to the same time Meredith died.

To add to it later the shelter supervisor called me to tell me that Addison had passed away. It was all too much, I brought all the kittens back to the shelter for quarantine. My DH and I have decided to adopt the runt of the litter George if he makes it. We want to make something positive come out of this whole situation. So far he and the other two brothers are well.

If you could say a little prayer for George and his two brothers that they make it through this I would appreciate it. I didn't think that fostering babies would be so hard. I really thought I would just feed them and love them untill they got big enough to be adopted by a loving family. It has been so hard, but we're trying to move on

Thanks for listening, you guys are the best!!

disneydrmr
06-05-2007, 12:16 PM
How sad, but how wonderful that you are willing to foster! I'm thinking good thoughts and sending pixie dust :pixie: for George and his two brothers! Let us know please....

Tick-Tock
06-05-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm so sorry. Fostering is hard, both physically and emotionally. Please take comfort in the thought that you provided a loving environment for those kitties, even though sadly they weren't fated to have long lives.

Namine'
06-05-2007, 12:59 PM
I am so sorry. It is so wonderful of you to forster. Forstering takes a lot of hard work and dedication. It can also be very emotional. Here is :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: for you and the kittens.

MsMin
06-05-2007, 01:10 PM
I really feel your pain. It was just two weeks ago I asked for :pixie: for my own little pups struggling to live. We lost 3 of the 5 and watched one die after hanging on for 4 days(they were premature if you didn't see the thread ;)).
They are so helpless and you can feel helpless trying to help them too. Know that you gave them more of a chance to survive than they had and sometimes they are just too young and already damaged exposed to viruses and bacteria too early w/o the mother's antibodies to protect them.
Sending :pixie: for all.
UPDATE on Chloe's pups: Our last 2 are doing just great, today they weighed 12 oz. They are 16 days old and still haven't opened their eyes, we are anxiously waiting. They are delayed because they were born early. :paw:
Hopefully, you will have good news to share with us real soon...

aprilisis
06-05-2007, 01:31 PM
I am so sorry. Sending lots of :pixie::pixie: your way!

MsMin-I am happy to hear that the 2 pups are doing well!

mrsgaribaldi
06-05-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm so sorry. I don't know how you and MsMin do it. At least you both know that you gave the puppies and kittens a happy short time here on earth. They all felt loved and protected and VERY well taken care of it. That's more than alot of animals get. My cat, Mr Garibaldi, had been socialized in a home with brothers and sisters and he was the nicest cat you could ever hope to have. It's a good thing to do that for them:thumbsup: Here's some :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:for all the kittens and puppies.

The Bookseller
06-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Here's some :pixie: for George and the brothers. Let's hope they will pull it throught.

disneydeb
06-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Here's some Pixie Dust for the sweet fur babies:pixie:

Dsnygirl
06-07-2007, 11:25 PM
How very sad - I would be hurting, too. Sending as much :cat: :pixie::pixie: :cat: as I can to your littlte guys... I sure hope they make it. Does the vet have any idea what happened?? That's scarey - good luck as you try to bring George home. Let us know how they're doing!