PDA

View Full Version : Dining Reviews Part 1

January-2007
06-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Beach Club Marketplace
We ate here once during our 8 night trip. Very limited counterservice option for such a large resort. Having stayed at Pop Century recently, this place was seriously tiny and very lacking. We got roast beef subs that were pre packaged. It was decent, but Everything Pop is so much better, like 100% better. Also, the Marketplace is only open from 7AM-11AM instead of 6AM-12AM, so it also limits the times in which soda mugs can be refilled. They have the new mugs here, no more Beach Club specific mugs. Also, there are only 2 soda fountain stations, and they are right next to each other. This causes lots of congestion, plus there are often puddles of water from people going to the pool then trecking in here sopping wet to get soda. The adjoining gift shop seemed pretty small too. Overall, we were not impressed.

Cape May Cafe Breakfast Buffet
Wow. Another huge disappointment. We woke up really early because this was our first morning waking up in Walt Disney World and we were still on home time where we wake up at 6AM every morning. I called the front desk to see when they started serving breakfast and they told us 7:30 so we sat in our room and waited. Our ADR time was 9:30 AM but we went downstairs at 7:30 to try to get in early.

It seems to me that WDW Dining is all about the mind games. They give you a beeper and then it beeps after 2 minutes. Why go through all that trouble? There was a line when we got to the podium to check in. I told them we had an ADR at 9:30 but would like to eat now instead. It was no problem, but they mysteriously couldn't find our ADR anyway, don't know if it's because it was for later or what, but I was glad we got there early just the same.

So we were seated after a very short wait, like I said, beeper and all. The table wasn't the best. It didn't help that the family next to us was having some serious issues. The mom was yelling at the server, telling him that they had to start eating NOW because they had to catch DME to the airport at such and such a time. It was just like, wow, what the heck?

The food here was terrible. The waffles were cold and we were there right when they opened. I have a quick question- where have all the normal sized waffles gone, and did they ever exist? All the waffles we encountered this trip were the same little ones I got at the Pop Century food court in the kids meals. DH said the sausage didn't seem cooked through. The bread pudding was bland and had raisons. The characters were not good at all. Just kind of walked by and that's all. Goofy was the worst. I think we were there for all of 20 minutes before deciding to just leave and go to the Magic Kingdom for opening, which we got to with plenty of time to spare. We will not do this breakfast again. I had been looking forward to it for so long and it was just so bad. Luckily it only gets better from here, as this was our worst table service dining experience of the trip.

Cosmic Ray's late meal during Evening EMH
We went to Fort Wilderness to watch the campfire movie and took the boat over to the Magic Kingdom just as Evening EMH was starting. We got a times guide for the evening and it said Pecos Bill's would be open until 11:40 so we were like, great, I could go for a burger. We make our way there only to have the doors slammed in our face, "We closed 5 minutes ago" this always happens to us. I look at my watch and lo and behold, it is 11:45- how did that happen?

SO... We walk to Tomorrowland and get into Cosmis Rays. The one night we want burgers it isn't the burger station that's open, which has always been the one open in the past, but instead it's the chicken station. We decide to just get our usual chicken/ ribs combo to share. I don't know if it was because we wanted burgers, because it was midnight, or because we just couldn't shake our last bad experience at Cosmic Ray's from last trip, but something did not sit well with us here. We couldn't finish the shared meal and both felt sick for the rest of the night. Nothing serious, just upset tummies. And that meant riding Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad were out for that night. So much for that. We never did end up riding those rides... Another meal gone astry. Oh well, we'll just skip this CS location in the future. We loved it so much before, but there are so many other places to try.

That's all for Part 1. Coming up... Beaches and Cream, Comedy Warehouse drinks, Goofy's Candy Kitchen, and more... Thanks for reading. If you have any questions, post away and I'd be more than happy to answer.

SBETigg
06-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Food courts are something the values definitely do right, and often better than the deluxes. A lot of deluxes don't even really have a food court but more of a small, quick counter-service set-up.

What a shame that your Cape May experience was not good. People really look forward to those character breakfasts and it is such a bummer when they are below expectation.

Oh no, and even Cosmic Ray's didn't work out so well for you! Sorry to hear it. When even the old reliables fail us, what's to be done? I hope it got better for you after this. Great report, thanks.

January-2007
06-05-2007, 11:36 AM
It does get better after this, it just so happened that our first full day ended up kind of lacking. We would have been better off going to Trails End for dinner like we had planned but after that breakfast we were so wearing of going anywhere!

Yeah, the lack of a food court or even fresh counter service option was one of the strangest things. We ended up only eating at 3 counter service locations our entire trip!

disneydrmr
06-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Wow, sorry about all your bad dining experiences... sure hope they do improve for you!

Belle--86
06-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Sorry :(about your bad dinning experiences-- hope the got better.

Septbride2002
06-06-2007, 05:34 PM
We are staying at the Boardwalk in Oct and I am concerned about lack of counter service resturants. I'm hoping since we'll have a kitchen that we won't rely on them that much.

~Amanda