PDA

View Full Version : Army Wives..

DizNee143
06-05-2007, 09:14 AM
anybody catch the first episode on Sunday??..i missed it but they played it again last night...seems like a very good show...cant wait for sunday now!! what did you think ?

Melanie
06-05-2007, 02:31 PM
I watched it and I liked it. But, it's very unrealistic.

What a change Catherine Bell's character is from Mac on JAG. What about the son abusing her? Wow!

BrerSchultzy
06-05-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm just excited that the commercials for Army Wives and Write or Wrong (the Kirstie Allie movie) will be slowing down. You couldn't change the channel without seeing those commercials. It was getting really annoying...in fact, we probably won't watch those shows, because we got so annoyed by ALL the commercials.

Ironic, isn't it.

MScholl13
06-05-2007, 04:56 PM
I don't get Lifetime so I watched the first episode online. I really liked it but wondered how realistic it was. Thanks Mel for your opinion on it! I'm actually very glad to hear you say it's not very true to life. I'm in a very serious relationship with someone who is in the Army and didn't really want my future life on a post to be quite that drama filled. :blush:

I do think this will be my new must-see show though!

Melanie
06-05-2007, 06:05 PM
I had to watch it online as well. :) I hope they continue putting the episodes up.

There were a few things that bothered me, and these are probably nitpicky to some. Like how the Kim Delaney character confronted that new general's wife about how the general stole her husband's promotion. Uh, wouldn't happen. Oh my!

And in the same scene, when the Major approached Roxy and her husband, and Roxy saluted as well - there is no saluting at formal events like that, at least not in the Marine Corps. I thought that was silly.

The female LtCol going in the bar and acting out like she did - that would be huge news around any base or post. I just don't see it happening.

The housing looked pretty realistic, but you wouldn't get a notice for not mowing your lawn before you've even moved in. The conversation they had about the acronyms was right on though. All those abbreviations still confuse me after 12 years!

The rest seemed like good drama to me. I liked the characters (especially Kim Delaney's husband :D ) and it will be interesting to see where it goes from here. If we go five years down the line and they are all still there on that same post, that's definitely unrealistic. Folks moving in and out would certainly keep it fresh though. :)

DizNee143
06-06-2007, 09:32 AM
i was wondering how realistic it was also...since i have no clue on how life is living a on base..without knowing anything the show looked really good to me..but for the people who actually live that life i guess you can see the difference and whats not so realistic about it...thanx for letting us know alittle about the real life way Mel!!!
im going to try to keep watching this..it looks like its gonna be a good show!! :)

Chrisx2
06-06-2007, 01:23 PM
If you are watching this show as a work of total fiction and drama, it's fine. If you are looking for insight into the lives of real Army wives, look elsewhere.

I, and many fellow army wives here, had such high hopes about this show. What a shame. Things were so far from realistic. I was stunned because they consulted an "expert" to help make the show accurate. They either didn't follow her advice or she is not an expert. As I said, as a work of TV drama, it's fine. If you want to see real army wives in action, come down here and I'll show you around. :)

JustCallMeSquishy
06-06-2007, 02:04 PM
well I thought I would get flamed but seems the majority share the same opinion I do...it's so "tv"....not realistic AT ALL, and I did not like it because of that and I am both a former active duty member myself and now a military wife so yeah, I'm with the ladies on this one!

DizNee143
06-12-2007, 09:14 AM
so is anyone still watching this?
whatcha think of the second episode?

beksy
06-12-2007, 10:15 AM
I think its an entertaining show and will be one that I will keep watching. I give shows two episodes before forming a solid opinion and after the second episode, I still believe that this will be one that Mom and I will watch weekly (sort of a bonding thing!). I'm glad to know that its not that realistic though, since I can't imagine living a life that filled with drama everyday while also dealing with a husband going off to war! Its entertaining.

DizNee143
07-10-2007, 08:55 AM
did anyone see Sundays episode? i only saw like the last half hour of the show...did i miss anything in the first half?

ShelbyAD
07-31-2007, 10:23 AM
I like this show. I wasn't sure from the first episode, but by the 3rd one, I was hooked. I am surprised at the cast, there are some major names there. My favorite characters are Catherine Bell & Drew Fuller (Trevor). He played Chris on Charmed (Piper's son from the future).

What's unrealistic about it? Their lives on a whole or the drama? Are there really cliches of wives? Since I'm not in the military, I have no clue. DH's nephew (niece's hubby) is in the Army, but they do not live on Post (not yet anyways) They are stationed in Kansas City. She does not like it (the city not the Post). But she is home alone with 5 kids. Ages 1-13. 2 girls 3 boys. In fact their 4th child was born while he was in Iraq. He was able to come home when she was 2 weeks old for a week or 2 then went back to Iraq.

MScholl13
07-31-2007, 11:10 AM
I've missed a couple of episodes here and there but I still try to catch it when I can. I love this show! I think Roxy is one of my favorites, maybe because some of the things she says/does are reminscent of me. :blush:

TheMartellFamily
08-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Ok the 1st season just ended. I am sitting on baited breath. I can not wait for season two to start. I think while this is entertainment I do love this show at feel for each one of the Army Wives. Can not wait. Tried getting on the lifetime network website and could not get on to see what season 2 is going to be all about. Anyone else watch this show from the begining to the season finale. Let me know what you think.

TheDuckRocks
08-27-2007, 11:42 AM
I have been watching the show from the begining, haven't missed any. My DD has just recent gone from the Army wife category to military retired wife and I can't say that I feel that a lot of what they have shown has been very true to life. BUT.....we both love the show and feel that any kind of awareness of how much families in the military give up and go through is a positive.
That said, I can't believe the way they have left us hanging.:mad:

MNNHFLTX
08-27-2007, 12:59 PM
That said, I can't believe the way they have left us hanging.:mad:Yeah, but it really makes everyone want to tune back in next season. ;)

I have only watched the last 1/2 of the season, but I wish I had watched it from the beginning. I find the characters and storylines very interesting and different from anything else that is on TV right now.

ShelbyAD
08-28-2007, 09:02 AM
I loved the season finale. I almost cried when Trevor left. It's heart breaking when you're a newly wed and your DH gets shipped off to Iraq. Plus I like Drew Fuller :thumbsup:

I knew that was going to be the last scene for the season. They showed it in the previews. Someone will "save the day". It's not like they are going to blow up the entire cast.

Anyone else notice how much the girl playing Kim Delaney's daughter looks like her? They did a great job in casting her. Is it me or has "Michael" gained alot of weight since the beginning of the show?

Does anyone know when Season 2 starts?

DizNee143
08-28-2007, 10:03 AM
i have obviously been watching it from the begining...(im the one who started this thread)
i really liked the season finale..it was very good...i was tearing up during roxy and trevors goodbye...
i cant believe jermery and i so cant remember the daughters name..i cant believe she broke up with him...i hope that changes!!
and again pamela has no idea that chase also left...
i sooo cant wait for the next season..only because this is like the one show i would watch...
i was going to ask the same thing about when season 2 starts...i hope we dont have to wait till next summer again...that would stink!!

ShelbyAD
08-28-2007, 12:51 PM
It was "brought in" as a Summer show, maybe with it being so popular, they will bring it back for a real full season show.

Hey, the Cosby show started out as a mid-season replacement show.;)

MScholl13
08-28-2007, 02:49 PM
I missed the last two weeks, but got to tune in this week for the finale.

I cried during the deployment scene, made me miss my husband a lot even though he's not in Iraq, just stationed in a different state for the time being.

Anyway, that being said, I heard that the new season is supposed to start in 4 months. I can't wait!

TheMartellFamily
08-29-2007, 08:52 AM
I could not imagine that feeling but being a Miltary Wife, but it makes you strong like all those on the show. This is why I really love this show. It will be a long 4 months!

disneynarula
08-29-2007, 01:28 PM
I like the show...but I am sort of embarassed that I do. Kind of like I am embarassed to admit that I still like New Kids on the Block. :blush: or the way to can't help but look at a traffic accident. Look away look away!!!

DH works for the DOD and I am not an army wife but I have known many and I think the show is kind of insulting to them. All the army wives I know sort of live drama free lives despite the fact that they are single moms most of the time.

And the thing I don't get about the finale. Roxy and Pamela were at the bar. Who was watching the kids? Your husband leaves for Iraq and you leave the kids to go to a bar? Most army wives I know would have stayed at home with the kids to be supportive to them.

I get that they had to have the entire cast in jeopardy somehow but I think they could have thought of something more realistic. Wouldn't they have all been at the promotion ceremony? I think it is just a little too remeniscant of Grey's Anatomy's bomb scare.

Plus... I think that security around post seems a little too lax. Isn't this the second time this season that two of the characters almost got "offed" by some disgruntled military man.

If I were one of these guys I would seriosly consider moving off post.

I have still seen every episode. I love the Trevor/Roxie storyline. I just wish they could have made it a little more realistic.

I have a terrible feeling someone's husband is not going to make it home.