PDA

View Full Version : Bird Attacks At POFQ?

5 Mousekteers
06-04-2007, 05:51 PM
I just had a friend return from WDW this week. He was talking about people being attacked by some type of black birds around the pool at POFQ. He said they saw some people being pecked by them as they ran across the pool deck trying to get away from them. Finally jumping into the pool. Did anyone else ever see this?

LudwigVonDrake
06-04-2007, 06:21 PM
I've seen birds "attack" and take food away from people. It is a problem in some places around WDW. I can't imagine them "attacking" for no reason but if there was food in their hands, then I would believe it.

ibrowse17
06-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Calling Mr. Hitchcock... I hope no one was hurt, but guess that this is what happens when people feed the birds and ducks in the resorts and parks. I hope they can correct this before we arrive for our stay at POFQ in Dec:thumbsup:

Catzle
06-04-2007, 07:19 PM
I know what black birds you are talking about and they have the scary beadie eyes. They are also at the Poly. I have never seen them attack people but they do attack your food. You cannot leave your food for even a second or they will be there eating it for you.

Willowwind
06-04-2007, 07:21 PM
I believe it. My daughter is TERRIFIED of blackbirds after being attacked for her food once in Disney.

I can't remember where we were, but we were eating outside and the blackbirds were dive bombing her. One even made off with a frie right out of her hand.

DawsonAR
06-04-2007, 10:21 PM
I have seen the birds but I didn't know they would attack for food or any other reason. I will be on the look out from now on.

Iluvpooh
06-04-2007, 11:31 PM
I also had a fry taken out of my hand. Scared the :thedolls: out of me!! Later we went to the bird show at AK, and I got freaked out all over again!

RenDuran
06-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Maybe they had baby birds nearby....or were even teaching them how to hunt for food! ;)

lylone
06-05-2007, 07:35 AM
We were there the first week of May and saw the blackbirds around, but they never attacked us or anything. I believe what you are speaking of are Crows, and yes, they are usually hungry for food. We never ate outside while we were there.

Willowwind
06-05-2007, 07:43 AM
I don't think that these were crows.
Crows are HUGE, these are much smaller but still enough to freak you out.

CanadianWDWFan
06-05-2007, 07:46 AM
We never really saw any of these birds at POFQ in April. I know which ones you are talking about. They can get pretty aggressive, but no where near as agressive as those darn :mad: seagulls.

Mickey'sGirl
06-05-2007, 08:34 AM
I have seen the birds but I didn't know they would attack for food or any other reason. I will be on the look out from now on.
They likely learned to from being tossed tidbits by resort guests. PLEASE DON'T FEED THE BIRDS!!! :soapbox:

mook3y
06-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Typically, when those black birds are flying by, pecking people in the head as they walk by, they are protecting their nest. Given it is Spring, I would guess that is what is going on.

:thedolls: We sat for over an hour once, watching people walking by a tree at Universal Studios once, watching reactions of unsuspecting people walking by.

However, I have never seen these birds follow someone for a distance... that is unusual.

Not to offend any PETA out there... this is just a JOKE!....

you could always carry a tennis racquet...

jimnheather
06-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I have been "attacked" by these little black birds on the path between longhouses at the Poly so often on one trip (2 yrs ago) that I had to start walking around the pool and entering the longhouse from the other side so they couldn't get me! The swoop down right on your head and it really hurts even when they don't peck. I mentioned this to the WDW company when they sent a survey after our trip. I wonder if they have been monitoring the trees on the paths a little more since, it did not happen on our last trip.

Grace
06-05-2007, 11:59 AM
:mickey:

Shades of Alfred Hitchcock! I think the birds are grackles. We have been subjected to their greedy food-grabbing at the Poly and at POR too. As a poster said, it's because some people feed them. They have learned to be aggressive, and it pays off for them. A bad thing all around.

But nothing compares to those evil :thedolls: seagulls! They made my DH so mad:mad:, he wanted to grab one and just squeeze. He watched two of them terrorize a little girl who had some french fries on her table by the pool. Her parents were nearby, but not close enough to fend off those gulls in time. They dumped her whole tray!

The birds at WDW have become opportunists of the first stripe. Disney's hands are tied, I'm sure, due to Peta and out of control PC.

Belle--86
06-05-2007, 12:04 PM
We have lucked out in past trips-- no birds, just lovebugs. I hope our luck last-- we are staying both at Poly and POFQ.

grumpycajun
06-05-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm all for live and let live and I certainly don't advocate cruelty to animals, but if blackbirds, seagulls, or any kind of bird started dive bombing anyone in my family, well... lets just say that I have a good chicken and sausage gumbo recipe that works just fine with other kinds of winged critters, too.:thedolls: The very idea! Sorry if this ruffles any feathers.

maizey05
06-05-2007, 06:09 PM
There were birds at the outside dining area of CBR foodcourt. These weren't black, but were white and "stork-like". The would peck your feet and wait for you to throw food to them. As for the blackbird attacks...I am very afraid of birds of any kind. I would completely lose it if that happened to me.

garymacd
06-05-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm all for live and let live and I certainly don't advocate cruelty to animals, but if blackbirds, seagulls, or any kind of bird started dive bombing anyone in my family, well... lets just say that I have a good chicken and sausage gumbo recipe that works just fine with other kinds of winged critters, too.:thedolls: The very idea! Sorry if this ruffles any feathers.

Ruffles any feathers! I love it!

cgriff
06-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Oh no, did this really happen at Palace of the Frog Queen?!?!

cgriff

Magic Smiles
06-05-2007, 09:38 PM
If they happend to be near the birds nests, the birds would most likely attack. This happens all over the place. When we lived in Toronto, the birds would sometimes attack if you got to close to the trees where their babies were.

psychotekkie
06-05-2007, 09:58 PM
If we act scared and try to dodge these birds, maybe they feel empowered.:chicken:

I think when I go, I will try using animal body language, you know, like make yourself big and imposing, make large jungle cat sounds, act like you're gonna eat the bird before it eats your french fry.:cat:

And as for the dive-bombing ones... I will be sure to wear my mickey ears hat to keep my head safe. Thank God for Mickey.:mickey:

GeminiAngel
06-06-2007, 02:50 PM
it was our departure day and I went down to rivermill foodcourt at POR to get breakfast for my family. while I was walking back to the room, food was in a paper bag. Darn black bird came up behind me and I got winged in the head! Then the bird turned and attacked a woman walking in the other direction. I thought it was so funny! :hide2:

branvy
06-06-2007, 03:37 PM
It does sound like grackles! Brave little boogers! But truly, as said, a product of people thinking it's cute to feed them. Though I will say that when I came around the corner heading from Haunted Mansion to Splash Mountain I almost fell over when I saw a bird standing there that was half my height! It was chowing on popcorn someone had spilled, and I just gave it a wide, wide berth.

But I think there can't be a bird out there that tops a Blue Jay for pure meanness though. :thedolls:

garymacd
06-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Typically, when those black birds are flying by, pecking people in the head as they walk by, they are protecting their nest. Given it is Spring, I would guess that is what is going on.

:thedolls: We sat for over an hour once, watching people walking by a tree at Universal Studios once, watching reactions of unsuspecting people walking by.

However, I have never seen these birds follow someone for a distance... that is unusual.

Not to offend any PETA out there... this is just a JOKE!....

you could always carry a tennis racquet...

Actually, you should carry a badminton racquet. It would be more apropriate when you say, "Watch the birdie!":tennis:

murphy1
06-10-2007, 07:11 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!
I was at the baby pool with my littlest dd and got attacked by one!! I was sitting there. Then a few minutes later a lady got attacked on her head. I can confirm they are black. It scared the heck out of me b/c I could hear the wings for a few seconds then I saw it fly away from me. Be careful around the FQ pool. I grew up in Fl and these birds are worse than any seagulls I saw on the beach!

GINNY69
06-10-2007, 08:54 PM
I stayed at POFQ this past May and I never thought about it since reading this post but in regards to to black birds attacking, I was walking past the food court going to meet my family at the bus stop and this small black bird came at me and buzzed by ear and the bird screached in my ear, it scared the heck out of me because I did not expect it , I had no food or drink in my hand just my small backpack that was strapped on my back. I did nothing to provoke this bird. I jumped a mile and some gentleman witnessed it and asked if I was ok.. So I don't know what else to say I am sure they are more aggressive when people have food and people should not feed the wild animals.. I know for a fact the birds are more ridiculous inside the parks you need to be heads up when eating outside or around the water lagoons in the parks.. I think Epcot is the safest place as far as birds go , we never had any issues with birds.. So has far as that bird at POFQ , I never encountered anything like that at other resorts I have stayed at.. OK I am done rambling..

Have a magical day !!

:pixie: :pixie: