PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for the Studios

Experiment626
06-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi everyone

With all this talk about new additions to the studios and name changes to Disney-Pixar and all I had some ideas for a newly revamped park.
Now keep in mind space issues and money issues would prevent 99% of these but here goes....after all if you can dream it maybe we could do it....

How about doing a Lucas Land...we already have the Indy show and Star Tours how about expanding the Indy side to include the Indiana Jones Ride from CA as well as an Indiana Jones Coaster themed to the temple of doom. I know they have an Indy coaster in DL Paris but really up the themeing and make it a dark ride coaster hybrid. Something along the lines of the Mummy at Universal. But Disneyfied.
GO ahead with the new Star Tours film but also go ahead and build a new restaurant themed to the cantina in Tatooine.

For the streets of america. Put a new show in the Hunchback theatre....thats prime real estate....why are we using it for storing christmas lights....a new show would be better than its current use. Get rid of the backlot tour completely, there really is nothing much to see anymore. Get rid of Light Motors Action...a HUGE waste of space if you ask me. You could build the toon studios back there like they just built at Disney Studios Paris. Complete with Cars attraction as well as the Crush Coaster. And you would still have plenty of land to go ahead and build the long ago designed Muppet Studios complete with the Muppet Movie Ride.

For the animation courtyard....
Remove Little Mermaid but replace it with the Little Mermaid Dark Ride thats shown on the Little Mermaid Dvd. A restaurant would be good in this area as well, how about an updated version of the Disney Cruise Lines Animators Pallete.

As for Drew Carey and the ABC theatre next to it...how about a sound effects stage show based around LOST.

Finally Sunset Blvd. I think maybe just a better quick service place would fit the bill maybe an indoor food court type of thing since the Studios really doesn't have much in the way of variety in Quick Service.

In addition to Fantasmic I would also bring back Sorcery in the Sky as well to give the Studios a one two punch at night.

Just a few thoughts.:mickey:

Lacy
06-04-2007, 11:19 PM
Good suggestions! I definitely like your idea for the area at the back of the park.

A Lost attraction would be great! And I know this is nothing new but it would be great to have the Indy ride.

I hope to see a lot of positive changes at the Studios in the next few years so it can return to being my favorite park!

JT Mac
06-05-2007, 11:09 PM
To complete the integration, Disney would probably want to look into a new Park Icon...

Click here (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=532674849&size=o)

LaDracul
06-08-2007, 11:14 AM
I'd like to see that rumored "Kingdom Hearts" stunt show in the Little Mermaid theater.

It is a shame about the Halloween event being put on hold...again. It would've been cool to see the Heartless and Organization XIII wandering around with all the other villains.

Marker
06-08-2007, 01:26 PM
In my opinion, there's not a darned thing wrong with the current icon (the big hat). I like it much better than the water tower with ears.

Ideas to improve the Studios......

1) Make it an actual studio again. Figure out a way to actually put the sound stages to work. Whether it be with movies, TV, or even promotional stuff. Let people see the "studio" being a studio. Make the name mean something. Even if they just did some of their vacation video production, at least it would be a working studio.

2) Bring back the animators. Even if the it's not as cost effective to have animators working in Florida, there would be a definite benefit to the theme park business.

3) Leave the cartoon characters to the other parks, since this is supposed to be a motion picture studio, turn the focus here to Live Action films. Increase the references to live action films and characters. Don't take my head off, but I believe The Great Movie Ride could be refurbed to include scenes from Disney's own live action library.

4) To me, the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular has gotten old and dated. Why not turn it into a reference to Disney's own Pirates of the Caribean. It could still be a very cool, audience participation, stunt/action show, but reference a much more contempory and very popular, Disney film.

BrerSchultzy
06-08-2007, 01:57 PM
I
3) Leave the cartoon characters to the other parks, since this is supposed to be a motion picture studio, turn the focus here to Live Action films. Increase the references to live action films and characters. Don't take my head off, but I believe The Great Movie Ride could be refurbed to include scenes from Disney's own live action library.

4) To me, the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular has gotten old and dated. Why not turn it into a reference to Disney's own Pirates of the Caribean. It could still be a very cool, audience participation, stunt/action show, but reference a much more contempory and very popular, Disney film.

I have always wondered why they don't have more of their own live-action stuff here...Sure, Pirates was a MK ride, but it's a real, honest-to-goodness live action movie made by Disney...a flume type ride (maybe a "grown-up" Splash Mountain) would be neat.

And the walkthrough of Narnia is entirely forgettable. Other than that, you'd be led to believe that Disney doesn't make live-action movies...which, as we all know, is entirely untrue.

I would also love a look into how they USED to make movies...I mean, the Studios is supposed to hearken back to the old days, right? I'm kinda tired of hearing about how much hard work and technology goes into live action films...I get it. Blah blah blah. But, if "Sounds Dangerous" was re-themed to be an old-fashioned Foley guy with the bags of whistles and horns...kind of like the guy who does all the work on Prairie Home Companion. Now THAT would be cool. Then the street scenes and backlot tours could have ALL kinds of references to That Darn Cat or Absent-Minded Professor...even the original MMC or Spin & Marty stuff.

Sorry...I just think that'd be neat.

BMan62
06-08-2007, 03:55 PM
To complete the integration, Disney would probably want to look into a new Park Icon...

Click here (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=532674849&size=o)

Love the pic! Maybe they could make it one big animatronic. Make it move and turn, kind of like a spotlight, showing off one particular area of the park for a few minutes, then moving to another sector. Have it follow the parade route, etc.

DREAMADREAM93
06-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Great ideas!

I do agree. They should really include something POTC in MGM. It is such a great movie and is very action packed. Thats what DS-MGM is about right? the only problem with a grown up log flume ride as previously suggested, is that you do have SplshM and POTC is a log flume type ride already. What about doing something like a water coaster like at SeaWorld, the Journey to Atlantis one? its a coaster at parts but is very much a water ride. That could be interesting.

As far as the Hunchback pavillion ... how bout they just bring the Hunchback back!? It was such a great show!

As far as IJ being outdated - There is going to be a new IJ movie comming out so it will be much more "Fresh" upon release.

MY IDEA --
Roger Rabbit. I say, since they were thinking about making DS-MGM more kid friendly, add toon elements like in Who Framed Roger Rabbit!? The movie is based in Hollywood in the first place, and add like a BRIGHTCOLORED character on the street here and there. And ive always thought that they should include a WFRR ride somewhere in the studios. Its a great, action packed, but still kid-friendly, Hollywood based, Disney movie!

Just some thoughts.

[ i love the Pixar light btw! SO MUCH BETTER THAN THAT GOD-AWFUL HAT! ]

JOrdan :]

WDWFreek
06-11-2007, 12:42 AM
I've been away from the boards for a while (work, who needs it?), but I am very happy to hear these rumors about the Studios. The Disney Studios is my favorite park in WDW (film student, what do you expect?) but I have to admit I was a bit dissapointed my last visit.

IMO, these following additions/rehabs would make the Studios a must see park.

1) Star Tours 2.0

2) Indiana Jones Adventure

3) Get rid of sounds dangerous and replace it with ANYTHING. I don't car what takes it's place, just get rid of it.

4) Put something in the ABC Theatre

5) Take down that stupid hat! It surves no purpose. It takes away from the Illussion and all it is, is a gift shop!

Other then POTC most of Disney's live action films that are not under the Touchstone logo are pretty forgetable. Nothing that diserves it's own attraction.

With that being said, other then maybe a walkthrough set or something of that sort, POTC should stay in MK where it originiated. Yes it is a great movie, but there is such a thing as over doing it.

lockedoutlogic
06-11-2007, 11:30 PM
personally...I would not complain one bit if they spent the next 10 years only working on MGM...errr.whatever it's called...and AK....

At MGM...I think people overlook the most obvious need...and that is to expand the actual footprint of the park. The animation studios are probably essentially worthless now...so it would be prudent to reallocate that space for more guest areas.
One of my main problems with MGM has always been is that a guest cannot "get lost" in it. You can basically walk from anypoint in the park and be out of the main gate in under 10 minutes. That is a violation of the formula that works in the other Disney parks around the world (they repeated this titanic blunder with the "Studios" in Paris...yuck!)
MGM is simply not big enough to be a Disney park....allocating more space would be a right step...if gradually phased in with new attractions.

Star Tours is an absolute travesty of american pop culture. To take a movie franchise (the first big american franchise...by the way...trailing only James Bond onto the scene) and have it rot as an outdated motion simulator since the first day it opened....is borderline irresponsible.
The fact that there was 10 years of star wars related hype that has come and now gone...and no effort was made to integrate it into both Disneyland and MGM....is also ridiculous. For pioneers of entertainment "synergy"...they were downright neutered on this one....

The problem with "lucasland" as proposed....is that Lucas sold alot of his genius/legend stock in his new star wars trilogy. The third installment was acceptable...the first two were absolutely terrible...and we all know it.
To corrupt Star Wars 10 years ago would have taken an almost monumental feat....Lucas and Rick "wouldn't know a smooth story if it introduced itself" McCallum managed to crash the ship. The new "trilogy" went up against other movie franchises and lost in a complete knockout...lost to spiderman...lost to pirates....in away, lost to the matrix and harry potter....and was utterly destroyed by lord of the rings
So while Lucas still will always have a soft place in our hearts..at least for us old enough to remember jumping out of our seats with excitement when the real Star Wars movies flashed across the locale cineplex.....the longterm appeal of a lucas themed area would probably not stand up.
After May of 08...both Indy and Skywalker will be gone....and will become a fond memory..like Elvis, Motown, and Johnny Carson to our parents and grandparents.

Though I agree that either Star Tours should be scrapped for a high-tech, true thrill attraction....or...more likely...The Indy stunt show can finally get canned in favor of a more adrenaline rush type attraction, in conjunction with an update of Star Tours...

MGM would be the perfect location for the "tweener" ages that the MK, EPCOT, an AK can't satisfy.
Here comes the old standby..The Villans PArk....it shouldn't be a park...it should be a largescale expansion of MGM.

I also think that MGM could develop an entire Pixar area that would appeal to parents and children....

And maybe even a classic "Hollywood Lost" area that would be edu-tainment similar to EPCOT...also catering to the Adult crowd that really finds nothing to its liking at the current MGM...

WDWFreek
06-12-2007, 06:50 PM
After May of 08...both Indy and Skywalker will be gone....and will become a fond memory..like Elvis, Motown, and Johnny Carson to our parents and grandparents.

Though I agree that either Star Tours should be scrapped for a high-tech, true thrill attraction....or...more likely...The Indy stunt show can finally get canned in favor of a more adrenaline rush type attraction, in conjunction with an update of Star Tours...

I have two comments. First, Indiana Jones and Star Wars are two classic films, and the fact that they are both still around after almost 30 years proves they have staying power. They will not be gon after 08 by any stretch of the imagination. They are still popular franchises and it would stupid push them out for something like POTC.

As great as POTC is, it is a fad and will be pushed aside and forgotten when the next big thing comes around the corner. It has not, and most likely will not stand the test of time like Inday and SW have. And knowing how Lucas works he will not let them die.

Secondly, I agree that the attractions should be be updated. Update the Star Tours film and give us a new a improved Indy themed thrill ride.

GrumpyFan
06-12-2007, 07:02 PM
I know it's a little late, but I still don't see why Monster's Inc Laugh Floor didn't get put into the Studios. It makes no sense at MK, especially in Tomorrowland.

As for IJ, I have to agree that it's past it's prime, even if they do make another movie, it's just been there too long. It's time for something new. Maybe, if National Treasure 2 does well, they could do something with that property. Or, maybe even a full bown attraction for Chronicles of Narnia, instead of the lame advertisement they did, which is completely boring.

WDWFreek
06-12-2007, 07:33 PM
As for IJ, I have to agree that it's past it's prime, even if they do make another movie, it's just been there too long. It's time for something new. Maybe, if National Treasure 2 does well, they could do something with that property. Or, maybe even a full bown attraction for Chronicles of Narnia, instead of the lame advertisement they did, which is completely boring.

National Treasure????? Are u kidding me. Even if it does do well it has No staying power, and would be a waste of money. And there has only been ONE Narnia film. Maybe years down the line when all the films have been released it can have it's own attraction, but in AK, not MGM.

IJ is a staple at MGM. The stunt is past it's prime. IJA ride is the most logical choice to replace it. Every disney Resort, other then Hong Kong has a Indy attraction. WDW should get it's own. It's timeless and still popular. Given, not as popular as it used to be, but it has staying power.

lockedoutlogic
06-13-2007, 10:34 AM
I have two comments. First, Indiana Jones and Star Wars are two classic films, and the fact that they are both still around after almost 30 years proves they have staying power. They will not be gon after 08 by any stretch of the imagination. They are still popular franchises and it would stupid push them out for something like POTC.

As great as POTC is, it is a fad and will be pushed aside and forgotten when the next big thing comes around the corner. It has not, and most likely will not stand the test of time like Inday and SW have. And knowing how Lucas works he will not let them die.

Secondly, I agree that the attractions should be be updated. Update the Star Tours film and give us a new a improved Indy themed thrill ride.

Obviously, you are a star wars nut...so I poured salt on your post;)

My statements were not meant to indicate that they should scrap the lucas themed "rides" (and i use that term very loosely) for something like Pirates....

What I'm saying is that Disney and Lucas, who reported butted heads constantly and could never agree on a concept...dropped the ball in the last decade by not reincorporating Star Wars back into the park while the new movies were all the buzz...ohh..they did facelift the giftshop...typical

And let's not glaze over this....the Indy movies are definitely a permanent part of motion picture history and will always be remembered....and I can only hope that the new installment will have a good plot, being that frank marshall and spielberg are there to temper Lucas's techno-zeal....
But they won't capture future generations like they did mine....

Star Wars was a complete one of a kind phenomenon until about 1997...nothing came close to their ingenuity, detail, and cross marketing. That's what made them unique.
Then the "new" trilogy came...and a legend was knocked down a few pegs.....
I love star wars...I had a shrine to star wars when I was 20 years old in College...and the chicks dug it! (another story...for another board)
But the new movies were off target. And the sad thing was they already had the story! But lucas got too into the CGI, and I believe he had poor people around him...and the stories that drove characters and kept them in your mind simply were not there. As bad as Mark Hamill's acting could be....i remember every line, every facial expression. Christensen just didn't deliver that.
So they made techno marverls that had no heart. They took the living, breathing, characters off the main stage as LOTR and Spiderman were careful not to do...and it showed...and the legacy isn't what it was.
The technology was even trumped...by the Matrix in 99 and Spiderman in 02.

These are the facts, from one pained star wars fanatic to another.

But back to MGM....I've always thought that Star Tours was the worst development of a concept that Disney has ever done...clearly a kiddie type ride packed into a teen type ride system.
Knock it down...and after you finish that...Build something that takes you into the movies....not puts you in a rocking chair infront of a showing of the movie on USA network....
And use the famous, classic, battles from Empire and Jedi while you're at it. We know...new trilogy...new level....but the older movies were better and everyone knows it...because of the story.

GrumpyFan
06-13-2007, 12:15 PM
The studios are probably a little on the heavy side with thrill rides, with ToT, RnR and ST. I'm guessing that the next few rides/attractions they put in will be family oriented (hopefully not another Dumbo clone).

Toy Story Mania will help bring some balance, but not enough. I would guess that with the big push for Pixar branding, we could possilbly see something like the Crush Coaster or the Cars Race Rally that was recently added to DLP. Hopefully not, because from the pics I've seen of these, they look cheap.

IMO, if they wanted to use the Cars theme, they could always build sort of a racing roller coaster with two tracks and 4-seater individual cars.

WDWFreek
06-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Obviously, you are a star wars nut...so I poured salt on your post;)

For the record I am not a star wars nut, I am an Indy nut.

Anyway, like you said Indy will be a perminit fixture in film history, and yes it may not capture today's youth like it did when I was young. Mind you I'm only 21. As long as Disney puts out an amazing ride, the theme won't matter. As long as it's a thrill adventure, guest won't care if the film came out 30 years ago. They will still ride it. Not to mention it will keep the films alive in our memories and will introduce new audiences to them.

If it's a great ride with Disney's world class storytelling and themeing that takes you into a great story, thats all that matters. Thats just my 2 cents. I personally couldn't give to hoots about star tours.

As for GrumpyFan's last post. I feel that the Studios is too heavey on shows, not thrill rides. I feel that one more E-Ticket thrill ride *cough*IJA*cough* plus a ew family friendly attraction, the studios will be a must see park once again.

lockedoutlogic
06-13-2007, 02:21 PM
For the record I am not a star wars nut, I am an Indy nut.

Anyway, like you said Indy will be a perminit fixture in film history, and yes it may not capture today's youth like it did when I was young. Mind you I'm only 21. As long as Disney puts out an amazing ride, the theme won't matter. As long as it's a thrill adventure, guest won't care if the film came out 30 years ago. They will still ride it. Not to mention it will keep the films alive in our memories and will introduce new audiences to them.

If it's a great ride with Disney's world class storytelling and themeing that takes you into a great story, thats all that matters. Thats just my 2 cents. I personally couldn't give to hoots about star tours.

As for GrumpyFan's last post. I feel that the Studios is too heavey on shows, not thrill rides. I feel that one more E-Ticket thrill ride *cough*IJA*cough* plus a ew family friendly attraction, the studios will be a must see park once again.

Ahhh...that explains it.....

you're too young to truly understand what Star Wars meant....
I'm a couple days :sick: shy of 30...and I'm almost too young for Star Wars...but I was 6 when i saw Return of the Jedi at a Drive in....and I'll never forget that...the most amazing movie experience I'll ever have...I was hooked and never forgot it...even though Star Wars disappeared for ten years and didn't return with a new story for 15 years....

I've got the shivers....

anyway....My hopes are good for I4....they have the whole team in place...unlike the star wars prequels...and Cate Blanchett is one of the best actresses on Earth...bar none.

But the fact that Disney didn't encoporate something to get the juices flowing off two of the most exciting movie ideas in history....is ridiculous.

the correct their mistakes with the Indiana Jones rides at the other Disney Parks.....

But the stunt show and Star Tours sit like the gruesome twosome.

Surely....we can do better....and in MGM...improvement and excitement is badly needed...it would take alot of heat off the MK, and EPCOT as far as crowds...

WDWFreek
06-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Ahhh...that explains it.....

you're too young to truly understand what Star Wars meant....
I'm a couple days :sick: shy of 30...and I'm almost too young for Star Wars...but I was 6 when i saw Return of the Jedi at a Drive in....and I'll never forget that...the most amazing movie experience I'll ever have...I was hooked and never forgot it...even though Star Wars disappeared for ten years and didn't return with a new story for 15 years....

I've got the shivers....

anyway....My hopes are good for I4....they have the whole team in place...unlike the star wars prequels...and Cate Blanchett is one of the best actresses on Earth...bar none.

But the fact that Disney didn't encoporate something to get the juices flowing off two of the most exciting movie ideas in history....is ridiculous.

the correct their mistakes with the Indiana Jones rides at the other Disney Parks.....

But the stunt show and Star Tours sit like the gruesome twosome.

Surely....we can do better....and in MGM...improvement and excitement is badly needed...it would take alot of heat off the MK, and EPCOT as far as crowds...

Good to know we are on the same page. And yes Blanchette is the best actress working today.