PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Rude People?

Ayndi
06-04-2007, 01:53 PM
I'll be in the parks for 5 days next week, and one of my major pet peeves are people who won't MOVE TO THE MIDDLE in shows such as Philharmagic, Bugs, Crush, etc. forcing me to crawl over them to get past.

How do you all handle these people?

Also, having read the news about those people who were spitting on guests and were tasered by the police - is there anything stopping us from calling the police ourselves in situations like this? Seems to me that that situation in particular could have quickly gotten out of hand and ended up in a big brawl.

Maybe I should get some Valium before I go?

:D

kakn7294
06-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Fortunately, most people aren't rude on purpose. For the ones who don't intentionally appear rude, I usually either re-address whatever it is that the CM told them or just ignore them and crawl over. If they are intentionally being really rude and obnoxious, I make sure to make it a big and difficult production to crawl over them!

I haven't often heard of the need for the police to be called. Your best bet is probably to grab the nearest CM and let them deal with any situation.

BigRedDad
06-04-2007, 02:43 PM
As the previous poster said, just ask them to move to the end. Most people will. For those that don't and are rude, make it very difficult for them by crawling over them: step on toes, bump knees, lean on them, have a bags bump them in the head. Then, when ever has to exit to your side, let every pass until this person gets to and take up the entire aisle and have them wait there for several minutes. When they start bugging you, simply tell them that politeness is earned, not given.

Ayndi
06-04-2007, 02:48 PM
As the previous poster said, just ask them to move to the end. Most people will. For those that don't and are rude, make it very difficult for them by crawling over them: step on toes, bump knees, lean on them, have a bags bump them in the head. Then, when ever has to exit to your side, let every pass until this person gets to and take up the entire aisle and have them wait there for several minutes. When they start bugging you, simply tell them that politeness is earned, not given.

:funny:

I generally ask them to move down, and every trip there are some who refuse. I even explain to them that there really are no bad seats at these shows.

baby minnie's mommy
06-04-2007, 02:49 PM
I would imagine the quickest response would be from WDW's own security team - they are already there. Then if they think the situation warrants assistance from the police, they could call. Like if you were at a mall, you would have a store contact security first and let them handle it.

Of course, if someone was in serious danger I would do everything possible to help them immediately, like calling for an ambulance while someone runs for the nearest castmember... etc.

Disney4
06-04-2007, 06:02 PM
After turning various shades of red and purple and getting confrontational with people who refuse to move, I realized two things:

1) Many of these people don't go to WDW several times a year like me. Although it is no excuse for rude behavior, the excitement of being in the show for the first time can bring out the worst in some people.

2) These are the same people that cut you off driving, park in handicapped spots illegally, etc etc etc. In their afterlife, I know they will be forced to sit in the far back left corner for eternity :thedolls:

Bottom line: it just is not worth getting upset about. Let them have their "Moment" and be sure to let them know after the show how thankful you were for getting a better spot closer to the door for evacuation should something have happened, knowing that they are too mentally impaired to accurately follow directions! :laughing:

pook@wdw
06-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Rude people @ WDW are the exception, not the rule! Most everyone is there to have a good time. As many times as we have been, and as many people as there are going thru every day, I'm always amazed at how nice & courteous most are. My rule is...when I encounter rude people, I just tell myself, consider the source! They can't possibly be having as good of time as we are, being in such a foul mood and I ignore them and go on w/my Magical Day! I will, however, step up if I see someone being rude to a child (other than their own). I will not allow an adult to break line or jostle a child out of the way so they can get in!!

KAT1811
06-04-2007, 07:29 PM
2) These are the same people that cut you off driving, park in handicapped spots illegally, etc etc etc. In their afterlife, I know they will be forced to sit in the far back left corner for eternity :thedolls:
:laughing:

To tell you the truth I give up on people like that. :giveup: I usually give them a big smile and an excuse me (inviting them to stand so I may get by, as I am usually toting a child or two) I figure this is a bit of a pain for them but oh well they stopped there not me why should I try to squeeze :crowd: by. I also figure that they'll pay for it later on (what comes around goes around) there are a ton of shows in WDW they are bound to have it happen to them at some point on their trip. Maybe then they'll think back to the poor lady and her family that had to crawl over them because they too stopped the flow. At some point we've all blundered and looked back on it and said "oops" :oops: shouldn't have done that! I try to give people the benefit of the doubt not everyone can be a Disney savvy as we are!!! :bow:

snifflesmcg
06-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Everytime I've ever been there, people always stop right in the middle of the theatre and are always told by the CM's that they need to move ALL the way to the end. I've never had to step over someone.....at least not yet.

dolphinmickey9170
06-04-2007, 08:21 PM
I usually either re-address whatever it is that the CM told them or just ignore them and crawl over. If they are intentionally being really rude and obnoxious, I make sure to make it a big and difficult production to crawl over them!

I couldn't agree more. Too funny:thumbsup:

TiggerRPh
06-04-2007, 11:14 PM
I ask them to move as directed by the CM and if they don't I walk over them with my family of 5 and sit on the other side of them.

KAT1811
06-04-2007, 11:30 PM
I ask them to move as directed by the CM and if they don't I walk over them with my family of 5 and sit on the other side of them.

Iluvpooh
06-04-2007, 11:41 PM
I once had a young couple stop like 3 seats away from where they were supposed to just to be in the dead center at the Muppet 3-D show. I just stopped and sat in the guys lap and said "Oh I'm sorry I thought this was my seat." There is always someone who just will not keep going. If they are standing to let me pass, it doesn't bother me, but if they sit and start digging around in their back pack ect.. I'll step on a few toes and bump with a knee. Accidentally of course._ I always apologize for it.:secret:

RenDuran
06-04-2007, 11:42 PM
We have never had much of a problem at WDW with rude people....that's one reason we love it so much! I consider people stopping in the middle of the row pretty tame considering things like road rage and senseless violence. But several years ago when my daughter was next in line to meet Mickey Mouse some guy shoved his girlfriend ahead of her instead! I was pretty irate....who does that to a little kid?! Fortunately just as I was saying something to him the CM made them go to the end of the line! :cool:

Ayndi
06-04-2007, 11:44 PM
I once had a young couple stop like 3 seats away from where they were supposed to just to be in the dead center at the Muppet 3-D show. I just stopped and sat in the guys lap and said "Oh I'm sorry I thought this was my seat." There is always someone who just will not keep going. If they are standing to let me pass, it doesn't bother me, but if they sit and start digging around in their back pack ect.. I'll step on a few toes and bump with a knee. Accidentally of course._ I always apologize for it.:secret:

Exactly! I've had this happen at Muppets, Philharmagic, Crush, and Bugs.

Camping Mom
06-05-2007, 12:59 AM
I must be the odd ball out...EVERYTIME we go into a show that has the large auditorium, someone stops in the middle!! I have started noticing , however, that many of them are "out of country" guests. I wonder sometimes if they understand enough English to know what to do. The thing that bothers me more than that is sitting in front of a family who try to translate what is being said to a family member or who talk THE ENTIRE TIME! I know I can say the words to most of these shows, but when a family sits behind you and talk constantly and then they keep shoving their children into the back of your head trying to grab at something on the 3D show, you just want to give up and try again later. I really think some people are totally oblivious...they are usually the person who steps right in front of your family just as you take the picture of a lifetime!!

RenDuran
06-05-2007, 01:06 AM
they are usually the person who steps right in front of your family just as you take the picture of a lifetime!!

Yes, I have some great pictures of other park guests with us!

Queen Stephanie
06-05-2007, 02:30 AM
When on vacation, try to avoid any possible confrontation, which will ruin who's vacation? Your vacation. So when I see those ppl, I turn the other direction because I want to have fun on my vacation. Try it. When you see those ppl seating on the ends of the rows of seats, walk down to another row where the ppl are complying with the rules...it always works for me! Remember it is YOUR vacation so AVOID THOSE PPL! The Queen:thumbsup:

Seasonscraps
06-05-2007, 08:43 AM
I agree with Queen Stephanie -- I would just move along and not give them a second thought. I am on vacation and don't want to let other people affect my good times. :D

If there was some type of security/public safety issue -- I would report it to a CM. I am sure they are trained to handle them with procedures in place to have security or if necessary the police called to the site.

SBETigg
06-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Everytime I've ever been there, people always stop right in the middle of the theatre and are always told by the CM's that they need to move ALL the way to the end. I've never had to step over someone.....at least not yet.

Yes, this is how it has always worked out for us, too. The CMs are great at repeating the "Please move all the way to the end" spiel. But there are occasionally people who need to hear it a few times. Line-jumping is worse rude behavior, to me.

But I agree that most people don't mean to be rude. More often, they are simply caught up in their own vacation and oblivious to their effect on others. And great advice, Queen Stephanie. That tends to be our vacation MO, too. Avoid confrontation, enjoy your own vacation.

Kerry823
06-05-2007, 09:17 AM
I agree also. Why let someone else ruin your vacation?! Go to another seat or just sit down where you are. It will become obvious who didn't follow the rules. While everyone is complaining about rude people not following the rules, I find it just as rude to intentionally step on people or hit them with bags while crawling over them to try and make your point. I don't think it sets a good example for our kids to see that the way to correct someone elses bad behavior is to act out toward them. No one is getting injured, just annoyed. Truthfully, some people are so excited to be at Disney they don't listen to directions. So I let it roll off and go about my own business. If not, I could obsess about the things that drive me crazy and the next thing you know..vacation over!

magicofdisney
06-05-2007, 02:00 PM
I was on the boat ride at The Land yesterday. There were ppl talking behind this guy in the back. I suppose their chatter was too loud for him. He turns around and starts yelling at this lady to be quiet because he's trying to listen. Ironically it was during a part of the ride that has no commentating. The double irony was that he ended up looking like a rude, obnoxious jerk because he lost his cool. So I agree it's probably best to hold your tongue and move beyond these ppl.

bleukarma
06-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Generally I try to ignore people that are doing things that I might find as rude while I’m at WDW. But the thing that gets me is “line pushers.” One time I was standing in line with my family to get into Epcot and this guy was with his family behind me and he kept pushing his stroller up to our feet and complaining that the line wasn’t moving fast enough for him. I kept being paranoid that he was going to hit me with the stroller and I kept putting up with his on-going rant about how people aren’t moving fast enough. Finally I told my family to let them get ahead of us since he obviously wants to be at the gate quicker. He backed down and said “no, that’s ok”. But he kept running his mouth about the slow line. Now really, why would you want to start your Disney day upset about the gate line? I kind of felt sorry that they guy couldn’t just enjoy being at WDW. It’s not the people that stop in the theaters that get me, it’s the people that try to push me through a line that really gets me going! :mad:

KylesMom
06-05-2007, 02:20 PM
We inadvertently encounter our share of rude guests each trip. These are the people who wait until the last minute and "squeeze" into the space you've been reserving for your kids to watch the parades, large groups who step over (and on) you in line to "catch" up to their lone space saver in queues, etc. Over the years we've learned to "let it go", as it's not worth ruining our day over. Brush it off & have a great time! :mickey:

mickey-mouse35
06-05-2007, 05:16 PM
We inadvertently encounter our share of rude guests each trip. These are the people who wait until the last minute and "squeeze" into the space you've been reserving for your kids to watch the parades,

This is MY pet peeve :mad: because it happens so frequently. Unfortunately, with parades, you can't go get another seat and usually have your long-awaited view ruined because of the people that pushed in front of you. I'm only 5'1", so good luck in seeing over people. It's hard for me to blow off this one -- any suggestions on what should be said/done?

EeyoresBestFriend
06-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Parade pushers are not cool at any age. My DH and I waited on the deck of the train station for 3 hrs 'cos I have a back issues and did not want to get pushed about during the parade. Fifteen minutes before the parade, a rude child (10ish)shoved his way in beside me, then "leaned" to get more space. :mad:We stood our ground & heard his parents direct him to "keep shoving until you get to the front and bring your sister". We did not budge for him & he left. Then DH asked a little girl behind him to go infront, so she could see at showtime,cos she was polite and did not shove. All the parents had to do was ask, politely!:mickey:

Morpheous
06-06-2007, 01:36 AM
I really dislike parade pushers. If Im going to line up 2-3 hours ahead of time and wait for a parade I dont really want people forcing their way into my personal bubble. I tend to like to find the seated areas, you know like a outdoor seat at a resteraunt or eating pace where the CMs tend to be a little more watchful. Ive seen them (At Disneyland at least) rope off the outdoor seating once it fills up before a parade or a show to prevent people from going in and pushing their way in.

I mean yeah its really only good if you get a front row seat, but I dont mind typically that way you have less risk of getting people pushing in front of you.. and if you pick the right spot your elevated so your not likly to have too many people blocking your view.

When Im at a Disney Park I just try to avoid the rude or grumpy people. I just hate it when I see a little kid getting pushed aside or around by a bunch of Teens or Adults thinking their needs come first. Last time we were there we were on the Monorail waiting to go back to our hotel.. I remember a exhausted mom get on the car we were in (It was just after a parade) I had a seat but there was no seating. I looked around and no one else got up so I told her Id stand to let her and her kids sit down.

I figured I wasnt nearly as tired as she looked so another 3 minutes of standing wouldnt kill me. :)

tarjaybuff
06-06-2007, 01:58 AM
This is a message to all the people who like to stand and talk, or sit on the ramps for the sidewalks. Please move to the side.

Every year we struggle with our wheel chair, because people do not like to move from the ramps. It makes it very difficult and frustrating for the guests who have strollers and wheelchairs.

:mickey:THANK YOU!

PS- I agree with all the other posters. Kindly ask them to move down, and if they refuse climb over them or get a cast member.

MinnieMommie
06-06-2007, 06:21 AM
In truth, my overall experience with these issues is that people are consistently polite. In my estimation most of the impolite people are a bit impervious of their actions and not intentionally rude. When people are not the kindest (and this is rare) I think it is my job to be as polite as possible and help them learn how we act at Disney. Most Disney vacationers are so nice! While I was there in January I was able to find a great spot right behind the rope to stand and watch the electric parade. It was just myself and DS's girlfriend - the rest of our group was on rides. The man I stood next to asked me (not rudely but inappropriately) not to stand there because he wanted more space to take pictures. I oblidged and moved behind some people. Because I am very small I was unable to see anything. A family nearby witnessed the incident and insisted I stand in front of them so that I could see. They were such nice people. These are the kind of people I am accustomed to when I visit. Rudeness is the exception at Disney and I choose not to focus on it! :mickey:

KAT1811
06-06-2007, 09:48 AM
I remember a exhausted mom get on the car we were in (It was just after a parade) I had a seat but there was no seating. I looked around and no one else got up so I told her Id stand to let her and her kids sit down.

I figured I wasnt nearly as tired as she looked so another 3 minutes of standing wouldnt kill me. :)

I can't tell you how wonderful it was that you put her needs before your own. The rudest Disney experience I have ever had was when I got on a bus back to our hotel after a long day at the parks. This trip was just my mom, oldest DD (the only one we had at the time) and myself. My mother got on the bus with the stroller, all folded up, carrying all the bags and found a decent spot to stand (the bus only had standing room left). We were exhausted! DD (3 at the time) had fallen asleep in my arms while we were waiting in line for the bus. All I wanted to do was get back to the hotel. I boarded the bus figuring I could stand if I had to but I was sure there was at least one gentleman on the bus that would give me a seat. To my amazement there was not one! I stood holding my sleeping child in my , now going numb, arms for the whole bus ride! I understand that it was my choice to ride standing holding a sleeping child and if my choices were to hold her or wait I would still hold her. Nevertheless I was amazed. I would never sit and watch someone stand like that, mother or father,nor would my husband.

Jared
06-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Rude guests are pimples on my back. I'm on vacation in my favorite place in the world. No one is going to affect me in a lasting way.

If people want to stop in the middle of a row, let them enjoy their "perfect" seats. I'll climb over them as easily as possible and enjoy the show from wherever I sit.

I've never been confrontational on vacation, and I never will be.

brad192
06-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Each trip to WDW it always amazes me that people who want to sit in the middle for shows can't see the obvious solution.

1. Enter the venue & pick the row you wish to sit in.
2. Pause & "lurk", staying out of people's way, until the row you have selected is about half full.
3. Enter your selected row & sit down.

Works every single time. As for the line cutters / pushers, parade spot stealers, etc. I try to ignore them 'cause I'm having such a good time! :mickey:

disneydeb
06-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Giving a seat on a bus to an older person or a person holding a child, offering shorter people the spot in front of you during a parade and moving across people who sit in the middle of the line - this is the essence of Disney!
What would Walt do?! :mickey:

thrillme
06-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Seating...I always give up my seat to an elderly person, person holding a young child or a pregnant woman. And I'm a girl. I always wonder what happend to "gentlemen". My son gives up his too for those situations

I always move down but I have been guilty of leaving a seat before because my child would have been placed smack dab behind a large person and totally unable to see. But...in those situations I will stand and let others pass so that I can get him a place where he'll be able to see. I don't care if it's in the middle or side. That doesn't make any difference. I sometimes wish the seating were more "stadium" styled.

In general though. I'm on vacation. If I encounter someone rude it's just notes for my book and I don't let it bother me too much. Most of the people are pretty nice.

Momof2boys
06-06-2007, 12:22 PM
I stand there and wait until they move down. It works ;)

Mickey91
06-06-2007, 12:49 PM
We were at EPCOT one evevning and due to the time we had to take reservations for dining, were unable to stand and wait over an hour to get a good viewing for Illuminations. Realizing this we found a spot, amazingly without people and were going to stand single file from shortest to tallest as not to take more space than necessary. An extremely rude man leaned way over and said "You cannot stand there! I have been waiting for 2 hours and am saving this for my wife!! Next time you can stand forever and get a good view!" Ignoring his rudeness, I asked simply if my DD9 could simply watch from there as she is too short to see everything. "NO! Absolutely not! You need to plan ahead!!" I couldn't believe how hateful this man was. I realize that you need to get a good spot early, but it was Christmas time, there were tons of people and when I get a good spot, I always try to let smaller kids in front of me so they can see. I agree with some earlier posts that I will not allow anyone to shove their way in front of me, but when I am asked nicely or notice a child cannot see, I will let them in.

Another thing that really annoys me is when you are in front of the castle, watching the beautiful Wishes and people are running over you with strollers, wheelchairs and themselves try to get out of the park ahead of the crowds. There is even an announcement not to go anywhere once the lights dim. Then these people decide to stay and view in front of you and you can't even see!:mad: Really annoying!!

We try to go out of our way to get around the rude people. As the week wears on though, so does the patience.

LudwigVonDrake
06-06-2007, 04:41 PM
I just step over the people...Life's too short to fight over moving to the end of the row.

Have a great trip :wave:

grumpycajun
06-06-2007, 05:54 PM
I generally try to ignore them. I have no desire to ruin even a few minutes of our precious time at Disney by acknowledging some knucklehead.

Mikey Piano 23
06-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Just ignore them. People wont change no matter what anyone says to them.

As for danger in the parks: I think its best to let security deal with it and if its necessary they will call the police. :thumbsup:

JWB3
06-07-2007, 09:40 AM
One experience we (DW & DS)had several years back was on a crowded day on the busy paths near Tom Sawyer's & the shooting gallery. We, along with others, must have inadvertantly walked between camera and subject, said subject seemingly dressed to fit in with the frontier theme, holding and shaking a turkey leg in each hand. He yelled out, and I quote, "Get the hell out of the way, you nincompoops!" As we passed by, we looked at each other trying to figure out if he was a "guest" or a CM, but my then 10 year old said, "Dad, Disney CM's probably wouldn't say 'hell." We're still laughing about this today!:cap:

Camping Mom
06-08-2007, 12:31 AM
[QUOTE=Morpheous;1310466]I really dislike parade pushers. If Im going to line up 2-3 hours ahead of time and wait for a parade I dont really want people forcing their way into my personal bubble.

We were waiting for the SpectroMagic one night and had been there for over an hour. The show music comes up and this lady walks up behind me and says "My daughter can't see. Can she sit on the curb by you?" Not this child was small and about 4 so I squeezed and said yes. The little girl then proceeded to stand the entire time. I kindly asked her to sit down so we could get our video, and she just looked at me. So everytime we videotaped a float and turned to the right with our camcorder, there is the sillohuette of this little girl right in the middle of our shot!! We have had CM's come up to us at Illuminations just as it starts and ask if a child can squeeze in front of us at the railing. Problem is, once the child comes, the CM walks off and here come the parents. We finally started telling the CM's no.

AND...I do turn off the rude people afterward and just chalked it up to ignorance, or personality and go on with life. Disney is too much fun to let it ruin a vacation. Only problem is....I usually wind up going down a row where people sit in the middle and won't move and behind me are 40 other people and I have no where to go but up and over the rude people. Otherwise, going on another row would be perfectly fine. Please note that I am 5 foot tall and have very short legs...no way can I climb over a seat to get to another row! Now THAT would be a sight!!:)

nicole48040
06-08-2007, 01:13 AM
I guess I am a jerk because I go to Disney every couple of years. We are not rich people and so I want to get the most out of my trip. There will be no 3 hour waiting for a parade. What a HUGE waste of time. If adults would just get over themselves and let kids up front there would be plenty of room for all to see. The problems result when little ones need to be put on shoulder so they can see over adults. This blocks everything for everyone. So no, I will not wait endlessly and NO I will not listen to people's moans and groans about waiting for that spot for three hours. If I am standing in a space that is not currently occupied then, as long as I am standing there, that is my space. If your wife was supposed to be standing there then I guess she should have been. Sorry if this is rude, but I think it is just as rude to stand in park traffic for three hours having "tantrums' about "this is my space!" Big WaaaaaaH!:sick:

nicole48040
06-08-2007, 01:21 AM
I also would like to say to those people who do waste their time/money attempting to save spots for parades for hours that if you are the front people, how about you be kind and sit down. Then the people who come up behind you, tell them to sit down too. If people would just do this simple ,kind gesture, then people who are towards the back would be able to see and would have no reason to push forward. And if you don't want to do that........then you get what you get. You can't cry about rude people if you are, in fact, being rude too.

nicole48040
06-08-2007, 01:32 AM
The person who wrote "I don't like people trying to force themselves into my personal bubble" OMGG!!!!!!!!! You have got to be joking!!!!!! You need to take yourself and your "personal bubble" and get as far away from DW as humanly possible. No sane person goes to DW thinking "I need my space". We all know that there are thousands of people, who have all spent good money to be there. Everyone there deserves to have a great time and be able to take in all that DW has to offer. If you need "your personal bubble" may I suggest Alaska:cloud9:

Morpheous
06-08-2007, 02:47 AM
The person who wrote "I don't like people trying to force themselves into my personal bubble" OMGG!!!!!!!!! You have got to be joking!!!!!! You need to take yourself and your "personal bubble" and get as far away from DW as humanly possible. No sane person goes to DW thinking "I need my space". We all know that there are thousands of people, who have all spent good money to be there. Everyone there deserves to have a great time and be able to take in all that DW has to offer. If you need "your personal bubble" may I suggest Alaska:cloud9:

Exept the fact, that when I wait for a parade 3 hours in advanced. Im not sitting down on a street curb, or out in the middle of traffic. I find a resteraunt with outdoor seating and find a good spot and sit down at a table. Sitting at a table, where the people at the tables behind me can easily see because I am sitting. I dont want 15 people to come up and crowed around the table that Im sitting at..

Fortunatly this has not really ever happend but once. Usually these places I just mentioned end up getting roped off by the CMs once all the tables are taken which is just fine by me. Otherwise I pay for reservations for VIP seating in which I usually get a private seat or table at prime viewing real-estate. (Typically at Disneyland since I know that place like the back of my hand.) So yes, I do expect to have my personal bubble intact.

The first night we were at the MK at WDW we were walking around and realized the fireworks were starting in 15 minutes so we found a empty spot to stand by the castle and leaned against some railing in which seperated the street from a bunch of flowers. Even there where people stopped to watch the Fireworks as they were walking by and others who leaned on the railing with us were showing up. I did not have my personal bubble broken. :)

I guess its from years and year and years of Disney Experience but I tend to know whats going to result in getting people pushing at my heels or vise-versa and can usually avoid it.

So In conclusion.. I do go to disney and expect to maintain a little personal space. Because Ive been doing it for years. I would be exeedingly upset if I had found a perfect table hours in advance, only to have some group of people push their way past all the other occupied tables to come and sit or stand around my table. I'm sure the many people behind us would be upset as well.

(Also I would love to live in Alaska :D)