PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Weather-Related WDW Moment

BelleBeauty
06-04-2007, 11:45 AM
I am sitting in my office, holed up with pouring rain outside in NYC today - and the rain is only getting stronger. With this bad weather, I was kind of inspired to write this thread.

What is your favorite weather-related moment? I know that rain can usually ruin a WDW trip - even though those of us who go in the summer can expect the standard afternoon downpour. However, sometimes bad weather can lead you in a new WDW direction, show you something you wouldn't have experienced otherwise, create some family memories that you wouldn't have with the sunshine.

I can still remember being in Toon Town during our first WDW trip ever. We were forced to take refuge in a store there. It was so much fun to be stranded with other families, look at the merchandise, and stand in the very large open doorway looking at everyone outside and Goofy's Barnstormer. Nothing particularly amazing happened, but I still hold on to that memory.

How about everyone else? :mickey:

DawsonAR
06-04-2007, 11:50 AM
We were there for Hurricane Jeanne. We had a ride we didn’t intend on.

StitchplusTink=STINK
06-04-2007, 11:53 AM
as you know florida is famous for its constant heat.(which i am a victim of, i live here)so on my first WDW trip it was really hot.so i had my first mickey ears:mickey: ice cream bar to cool off. i have always had to get one ever since. it started a tradition for me.

Zippy_D_DooDah
06-04-2007, 12:50 PM
New Years Eve 2000 into 2001. There was a freeze warning for Orlando. Brrrrrrrrrrrr. I wasn't prepared. The daytime wasn't that bad, but as soon as the sun went down I froze my...uh...:mickey: EARS off... And we couldn't leave because my friend was proposing to his girlfriend at midnight, and because it was NYE we had been in the park (MGM) since around 8:30am. We attempted to ignore the cold by watching Sister Hazel perform at Indiana Jones... but the metal bleechers made things worse. By the end of the night, everyone was packed into the stores along Hollywood Blvd. I was sitting beneath a rack of clothes. We made it to midnight, he proposed, she said yes, and we all went to Atlantis for the wedding later that year.

Speaking of the weather, have you ever been driving around in the afternoon and the sky is bright blue with a few puffy clouds and said to yourself that THIS is a Disney day? I find myself doing this more and more on beautiful afternoons.

JCDarzi
06-04-2007, 12:55 PM
My favorite weather related Disney item is a trip that my DH and I took pre-kids about 7 years ago. It was in September and we had a constant drizzling rain for most of the 4 days we were there. As a result, there were no lines for anything. The rain wasn't hard enough to shut most things down. We did more in those 4 days than we have done with our kids in the last 3 trips we've made to Disney.

Nothing like a rain to clear the parks.

Speedy1998
06-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Dec 19, 2003 It was freezing, after Wishes the park emptied except for a few die hards. I road BTM till it closed, and then got a almost private viewing of Spectrolmagic. The only people within 100 yards of me were the CMs that set up the ropes.

jenperich
06-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Everytime my friend Jen and I are at WDW, we always seem to get stuck in thunderstorms. Once when staying at POR in the Alligator Bayou we we thisclose to getting hit by lightening! Yikes!!! Another time that same trip, the smoke was so bad from brush fires near WDW, we almost couldn't go eat breakfast.

Jasper
06-04-2007, 01:05 PM
I am sitting in my office, holed up with pouring rain outside in NYC today - and the rain is only getting stronger. With this bad weather, I was kind of inspired to write this thread.

I don't know that I have a good weather story to relate, but I just want you to know I am jealous that you are getting a good soaking rain!! In our part of southern Indiana we have not had any substantial rain since the beginning of May.

The reason this is such a problem is that May is normally our wet month that recharges the groundwater and sets us up for the summer. As it is, the yards and gardens all look like they do in late September rather than the beginning of June!!

BelleBeauty
06-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm sorry that you haven't had any rain! Hopefully some of our will blow over.

spoonfulosugar
06-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Walking to Christmas Eve dinner in Itlay ('06), minding our own business...a few drops come down, then some big drops, then an insane downpour that happened way too quickly for us to get the umbrellas, cover the stroller, etc. The rain was coming down sideways, like an attack! By the time we reached Alfredo's we were soaked all the way through our clothes. Definately a Christmas Eve dinner to remember.

Aurora
06-04-2007, 04:15 PM
I don't know that I have a good weather story to relate, but I just want you to know I am jealous that you are getting a good soaking rain!! In our part of southern Indiana we have not had any substantial rain since the beginning of May.

The reason this is such a problem is that May is normally our wet month that recharges the groundwater and sets us up for the summer. As it is, the yards and gardens all look like they do in late September rather than the beginning of June!!

Wow -- that's so weird because here in Chicago we've been getting good rains over a period of several days for the last few weeks. It even reminds me of Florida because it will rain really hard for about a 1/2 hour then clear up and the sun will come out. We've even had two rainbows in the same week. (Odd for Chicago.)

My favorite WDW weather story was back in 1997 when my DD was 1, we went to Typhoon Lagoon and a thunderstorm came in and sat there for about two hours. Of course they closed the park but we waited it out, and they reopened at about 7 p.m. We had the whole water park almost to ourselves! I swear there couldn't have been more than 50 people in the whole place. It was fantastic.

Rayadragon
06-04-2007, 04:48 PM
I've only got one bad weather memory from WDW. We don't go all that often and we've been lucky to have had mostly good weather. I can very clearly remember one time at Epcot when there was a bad storm when my brother and I were young (about 11 and 8 maybe?). My parents bought some of those clear WDW ponchos, but they only got 3 for the 4 of us. My brother and I were still small enough that we were able to both fit in his wheelchair, and we wound up sharing a poncho. I remember looking out at all of the crowds and puddles on the ground through one of the poncho sleeves while being pushed around the world showcase.

pook@wdw
06-04-2007, 05:47 PM
WDW in the heat, WDW in the rain, WDW in the cold...who cares! As long as I'm at WDW, it doesn't matter what the weather is like!!:D last year, just as we were finishing up our 1st attraction for the day (Splash Mountain), it began to rain. (like we weren't wet already). On went the ponchos, and off we went to continue our day. Imagine my surprise, coming thru Frontierland and only seeing maybe 30-40 people walking thru as well. No lines, no crowds inside any attractions, and no heat!! :cloud9: We always hope for rain when we're there!!:thumbsup:

MaryPoppinsFan
06-04-2007, 06:03 PM
My favorite weather related story at WDW was almost 11 years ago. My son's first trip he was 15 months and we were at MGM. we got caught in a sudden downpour and we ducked into a character lunch somewhere ( i dont remember which one) it was with teh Alladin characters. Meeko the raccoon was there too and there was hardly anyone in there. Meeko asked (as only a raccoon can do) that we take my son out of the high chair so they could play. they promptly sat down on the floor and played and colored for almost 30mins. I have some of the most precious video and pictures of this. I stood there like a goofball and cried the whole time.
It was a magical moment I will never forget. and really made the Magic of Disney so real for us :mickey:

BelleBeauty
06-04-2007, 06:08 PM
My favorite weather related story at WDW was almost 11 years ago. My son's first trip he was 15 months and we were at MGM. we got caught in a sudden downpour and we ducked into a character lunch somewhere ( i dont remember which one) it was with teh Alladin characters. Meeko the raccoon was there too and there was hardly anyone in there. Meeko asked (as only a raccoon can do) that we take my son out of the high chair so they could play. they promptly sat down on the floor and played and colored for almost 30mins. I have some of the most precious video and pictures of this. I stood there like a goofball and cried the whole time.
It was a magical moment I will never forget. and really made the Magic of Disney so real for us :mickey:

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Rain seems to bring magic to Disney experiences! Why can't it be that way in NYC today?

BelleBeauty
06-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Now that I've gone the whole day looking at all of your posts - I've remembered another weather-related moment of my own!

Our first annual siblings trip a few years ago was our first experience with EMH. We were in the MK on a summe evening when it was going to be open until 2am. Right as EMH started it started to pour. We were in line for SplashM and by the time we were off it had stopped and the ground was covered with puddles. It seems that everyone else had left for the evening. I remember doing HM, walking through to Fantasyland, walking on to PPF, Pooh, anything we wanted and we might have seen two other families! :mickey:

Llamaface23
06-04-2007, 06:20 PM
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Rain seems to bring magic to Disney experiences! Why can't it be that way in NYC today?

Speaking of NYC rain today, I got caught in the rain today, minus an umbrella. Only walked blocks but was soaked to the bone!

My favorite weather-WDW memory was the first trip my boyfriend and I took to WDW together. We were eating at Ohana's and seated at next to the window. Toward the end of our meal, it got really dark and began to rain buckets! So instead of heading back to the park we sat in the lobby looking out at the rain and watching kids play. Nothing amazing, but it was sweet and we enjoyed the opportunity to take a step back from our hectic trip and just enjoy a nice, Florida summer rain. :D

angedeaile
06-04-2007, 06:59 PM
I guess I am one of the few that absolutely LOVES the rain. No matter where I am, I just love it. The smell, the sound, the feel...yes...I often go out in the rain.

Anywho, when it poured on our Epcot leg of our trip, it was amazing!

Right before it began to pour, we got a funnel cake and sat over by the Japan Pavilion.

That is when it came down hard and everyone began to run over to take shelter. Once we finished the funnel cake, we went inside the gift shop and bought some ponchos. Go figure that we forgot to bring them that day. The only day on our trip that we forgot.

SO here we are, wandering World Showcase in the pouring rain with no one around. Everyone took shelter inside buildings, so it felt like we were the only ones in the showcase. It was great. :thumbsup:

MickeyDreamer
06-04-2007, 07:12 PM
I would not really call this a favorite weather related event but in dec. 2001 it was the coldest that I have ever seen it when there. it was in the high 20 several mornings. I can remember going into EPCOT and running into the first store under spaceship earth on the left walking into the park to buy a sweat shirt because I was so cold. When I came out I swear there was flurries in the air and not the type that WDW makes. I know seeing our breath every morning was pretty standard that visit. brrrr CRAZY!!! and I left new england trying to get out of the cold weather. So this has me wondering has anyone else been there and ever seen a brief snow flurry at WDW?

Alpha Jeanie
06-04-2007, 07:44 PM
We visited Disney World last May (2006). I had been watching the Orlando forcast for the week we were to be there and it predicted scattered thunder storms for every day we were there!!:rain:

I searched several store to find the right ponchos to pack for me, DH, DS9, DD3. We left for Florida from Texas with all of rainy weather gear packed. :umbrella:

To our suprise & delight, the weather was beautiful the whole week we were there (with one exception). We had ADR's at Ohana :lei: :papple: one night and it looked like it was going to rain. We walked into the Polynesian, got seated at Ohana and the rain came down!! It was a pretty good thunderstorm and very windy. The sky was totally purple! We ate our AWESOME dinner & delicious dessert at Ohana and as soon as we left the building the rain stopped. There was the most beautiful rainbow in the sky. I don't know how we did it, but we timed it perfectly. We totally missed the storm. We could not have planned it better if we knew what was going to happen.
:dance: :cheer:

We plan to go back the Disney next May (2008) and I can only hope for such perfect weather.

Always plan for the worst (weather that is) and hope for the best!!! Even a wet day at Disney is magical.:mickey::cloud9:

dolphinmickey9170
06-04-2007, 08:02 PM
My very first trip, we were sitting under an overhang, staying dry, it was a great thunderstorm. Guess what we decided....to plan our next trip while we waited out the storm. So I decided to do this each time it happens. Well, in the 5 trips since, I have yet to be caught in any rainstorm. A sprinkle here and there, but not like that day. But, the rain brought me and my family more magic!!:cloud9:

Tink-N-Me
06-04-2007, 08:06 PM
My favorite weather event happened at Animal Kingdom. Knowing full well that one of my crew of five was destined to get drenched on the Kali River Rapids we planned to save it for the last event of the day. We all climbed on the raft taking bets that "Dad" would be the one to take the brunt of the river's fury! And sure enough we were right...but almost immediately following the big drop and drenching...the skies opened with a torrential downpour. There we all sat soaked down to our unmentionables from the rain. As Dad and the kids raced to the buses in the rain, I ducked into the gift shop right inside in the front gate and bought a dry and warm beach towel to wrap around my DS3 for the air-conditioned bus ride back to our hotel. I can still remember the laughter and my baby snuggling up on my lap to keep warm. As always Disney Magic warms my soul.:cloud9:

Camping Mom
06-05-2007, 01:31 AM
Best weather related moment - anytime it rains and the park clears out!!

Worst weather related moment - it had rained every day of our 6 day trip and 2 of them were gully washers. It was our last day in the park and we went to Epcot to watch and film Illuminations. We got to Italy (our favorite place to watch from) an hour before the show and it started to rain again. It kept raining and we knew it would be very hard to video. At that point, I just sat down and cried! I may have been crying just because I knew the next morning we had a 3 day trip ahead of us to get home and leave behind the most wonderful place we visit!!:( I would have done sad but for some reason I can't pull up the extra smilies!

Cathy P
06-05-2007, 01:26 PM
A fond memory of ours is from our first anniversary in September 2000. It was our first day in WDW and we decided to go to Epcot on our first day. We headed straight towards World Showcase and the sky began to darken and the downpour of rain started. My husband I ran for cover at a table with an umbrella in the Italy pavilion. We tried our best to hide under the umbrella but the rain was so heavy and our backs managed to get completely soaked and we didn't care one bit! Most the pavilion was empty (since most folks took cover in the stores), so we just sat there and enjoyed the beautiful music playing in the background…the song that comes to mind particularly was "Con te partirò" by Andrea Bocelli. We thoroughly enjoyed the music surrounding us, the beautiful statues getting soaked and we were amazed to watch Spaceship Earth completely disappear in the fog and then reappear twenty minutes later. It was such a sweet and simple memory. :umbrella: I downloaded the song by Andrea Bocelli on my Ipod and every time I play it, I am instantly transported back to Epcot!

I need to go back.....soon!

DREAMADREAM93
06-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Well let me start by saying that i am terrified of the rain. And 2 years ago, me, my friend, my parents, and my little sister were sitting on the bleachers waiting for Fantasmic! to begin. It seemed like a matter of seconds before the sky went black and purple and sounds of thunder and bolts of lightning were illuminating the sky. Seeing the huge cloud over ToT was so eerie that my friend and i were mesmerized. We couldn't draw our attention away from it because of the green neon lights on the hotel, against the dark and ominous sky behind it. It looked just like the scene from the movie and i have no clue why, but that is a memory that really stands out in my mind.

[And as soon as i read this thread it started to pour. Just another rainy day in Atlanta. ]

JOrdan :]

Dakota Rose
06-05-2007, 03:45 PM
I have 2 memories tied for my favorite weather-related WDW memory:

1996: It was either July 3 or 4, late morning just before lunch time, we were at MK when the stifling humidity broke into a thunderstorm. I ran in my squishy sandals to the store next to the Castle to buy my poncho. I remember the area around the wishing well and forecourt completely emptied out. And there I was, practically alone, in the pouring rain. It was like everyone disappeared.

1997: My sisters & I were waiting for our bus at one of the water parks when again the sky opened up and dumped gallons of rain. The line for the bus was forever long and we just stood there for like 20 minutes while the rain dumped. This French family ahead of us scrambled to find something to cover themselves with but by the time the bus came, even their beach towels were saturated.

JoRy
06-05-2007, 04:32 PM
I was in EPCOT with my two boys and we were waiting for a drum show in the pavillion across from American Adventure. It started pouring like it normally does in the summer, and of course the accompanying lightning and thunder. Everyone was talking about how great the upcoming show was going to be when lightning hit the top of the pavilion. It knocked out all electricity as well as knocked a young boy sitting on the stage off the stage. No one was hurt, but it was pretty amazing. Needless to say, there was no show.

FirenzeBelle
06-05-2007, 05:28 PM
A couple of summers ago our entire extended family (16 of us) took a trip to Disney World. We booked a nice dinner in Epcot's Japan and decided to hang out in Mexico's cantina for some chips, salsa, and margaritas before dinner. Well, it started to drizzle... then rain... then POUR about 30 minutes before we were due for our seating. We all huddled under about 4 umbrellas in the Mexico pavillion (which were canvas... so you can imagine how well that DIDN'T work, haha) and since the rain did not show any signs of letting up, all 16 of us were forced to run to Japan... without any umbrellas or ponchos.

Lets just say the little "sprint" between countries left us all soaking... but gave us a great photo op and a hilarious memory that none of us will soon forget!!

DisneyDudet
06-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Dec 19, 2003 It was freezing, after Wishes the park emptied except for a few die hards. I road BTM till it closed, and then got a almost private viewing of Spectrolmagic. The only people within 100 yards of me were the CMs that set up the ropes.

Haha... we were there too!!! Stuck it out til the end... even rode Spash!!!!

That was a good night!!!

Magic Smiles
06-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Last spring - 20 nights in Disney World with only 1 hour of rain. It was a perfect and amazing 20 nights. Had it not rained that one day, we would have never grabbed a bite to eat in the Main Street Bakery. Amazing apple strudel with vanilla ice cream!
It was however pouring down on the day that we left to come home, which made leaving a teeny tiny bit easier. I felt so bad for the new arrivals though, all asking when the rain would stop.

PirateLover
06-05-2007, 09:59 PM
The thing that sticks out in my mind is 1995. We went in August and there were a lot of scattered T-storms, requiring the purchase of ponchos. The ponchos that year were themed to Pocahontas. 3 years prior I had read a book about Pocahontas, but I was only 7 years old and I kept calling her "PONCHOhontas." The irony was not lost on my father, who started calling me "Ponchohontas" anytime we had to throw the ponchos on. :thumbsup:

We got caught in a pretty bad rain this past trip going to MGM at night that had us all in hysterics and running. Even the Security guards ran for cover and didn't even check bags upon entry. Unfortunately, the park didn't clear out that much because the park seemed to be dominated by high schoolers on senior trips who also didn't care about the weather.

hubbyofadisneyholic
06-05-2007, 10:23 PM
For years we had been trying to talk one of my brothers and his family into meeting us at WDW.
Finally a few years ago he talked his wife into making the trip. Of course, that June it had to rain for hours on end every day they were there.
By about the 4th day between the constant rain and her grousing we were all about to snap.
That morning we were all at AK when the skies opened and we got hit with a total deluge. The drains couldn't keep up, water was ankle deep everywhere and we were all totally soaked.
All of a sudden my 40-something yr old wife and 30-something brother started kicking water on each other like kids and then broke into a very off-key rendition of "Singing In The Rain".
It was totally absurd, but it broke the tension and even got a smile out of my sister-in-law.

But, we've never been able to get them back to WDW with us... ;)

DisneyOtaku
06-05-2007, 10:31 PM
A few years ago, when it was just my sister, myself, and my mother on a WDW trip, we were at EPCOT and just finished eatting diner in Japan. We had planned to head back to the hotel (Poly) and were going to make our way back to the Monorail station when we saw that it was POURING out. We had to run all the way to the monorail, and our clothes were soaked through. Plus, once we entered the monorail, the air conditioning made it FREEZING. I was laughing the whole time while my family was very tired and upset and just wanted to go back to the room. NOW they laugh about it though. :)

pianobabe
06-05-2007, 11:15 PM
One of my favorite weather related memories happened the first time I took my son to WDW. It was June and we were at the Studios when it started raining. We were close to the Hunchback of Notre Dame show, so we ducked inside. It was crowded, but we ended up with a seat on the back row. The rain wasn't that bad, but I started hearing some thunder. I was afraid that everything in the park would just "shut down" because of the weather (I didn't know any better back then). We left the show and started trying to get to the front of the park to get on the bus so we could beat the crowd that would come when the park closed. Well, after a few minutes I noticed the rain was slacking off a little and there wasn't anymore thunder. What the shower had left in its place, was perfect puddles. We had the best time splashing our way to the front of the park. By the time we got to our stop, we were absolutely soaked. That memory will always be one of my favorite. Walking and splashing through MGM, hand-in-hand and just having fun. :cloud9:

disneyboy98
06-05-2007, 11:41 PM
We first realised what a blessing the rain can be during your WDW visit about two years ago. Our family had just come out of Boma and we were sitting out on the decks at the AKL and the clouds opened up and it just started to pour.

My sister and I were joking about how the MK would probably be desserted by the time we got there because the rain was so heavy. That was the moment we thought, "ok, let's go and see." The two of us hopped a bus over to the MK and sure enough, there were tons and tons of people leaving as we were heading in. During the next three hours there we hit all of the Fantasyland attractions (including Dumbo in the rain), POTC (only ones in our boat), and all of the mountains. We hit used a fastpass on Space and then went over to Splash and rode it twice in a row. We also were on the very last train of the night at BTMR.

After that, we had our own private viewing of Spectromagic in Frontierland and were the only ones walking through Adventureland after the park had closed.

Definitely one of those Disney moments you will remember for a long time....all thanks to that water falling from the sky!:thumbsup:

Red Randal
06-06-2007, 02:56 PM
I've loved reading these. Personally, I hate rain and, as a result, I don't have any great weather memories.

The closest one I have is my uncle wearing a white fleece sweater during a storm during that previously mentioned freezing Christmas week of 2000. When he removed it, his black t-shirt retained quite a bit of that white sweater. The rest of the day we kept teasing that he "was fleeced" at the Magic Kingdom. Sorry, that's the best I've got.

berri_boo
06-06-2007, 03:33 PM
I have 2 WDW - weather related stories:

#1 - We were just hopped on the backstage tour in MGM. As we started on the outdoor ride portion of the ride I noticed that it was getting a tad bit dark out there in the distance. Well, the sky certainly opened up on us. We made the mistake of sitting in the front of one of the cars and we were drenched. We both had our cameras & memory cards with us...mind you this was day 11 of 15 of our honeymoon so we were both so worried of something going terribly wrong with the cards (nothing happened though). During this downpour (which lasted the whole entire ride) my DH was saying how he was going to hop out of the car to get off the ride......was I furious :mad:. He never did get the chance to hop out because a minute later the ride ended. At the end of the ride we took some pictures of us soaked and laugh about it now :funny:

#2 - The morning of day 13 of our trip we went to MK at opening and planned on going to EPCOT in the afternoon. As we were walking down MS we were approached by a "special" castmember who asked us to be Grand Marshals of the afternoon parade...of course we jumped at the chance. Well the parade starts at 3 and at 12 it started raining :(. We headed back to our resort and decided to wait it out...it never stopped! So we headed to MK anyway and as soon as our bus pulled the to stop at MK the sky cleared...it's like it was meant to be just for us :cloud9:. We went through our parade route and when our time was up as Grand Marshals and we had our pictures taken and the actual parade started...it started raining again. It was as though someone wanted us to have this once in a life time chance to be Grand Marshals.....it was absolutely amazing.

Only 169 more days until my next WDW fix!

cknorr28
06-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Not sure if this is the best weather story but it is weather related. We were there when hurricane charlie came through. My family and my Wife's sisters family were staying at CBR. We had gone to MK and when we returned to our room there was a note from hotel management asking us to pack our things and move to higher ground. I guess they were afraid the lake would back up and we would be stranded. The storm luckily wasn't as bad near WDW as everyone thought but it made for an interesting evening.

Jared
06-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Several years ago, my family booked the Fantasmic! Dinner Package at Hollywood and Vine. None of us had previously seen the show.

After a beautiful day, we arrived at the restaurant in a strong shower. Many guests crowded under the awning because there is no room inside to wait.

Because we paid for the priority Fantasmic! seats, we decided to trek to the theater. As we drew closer, the skies became darker. The Tower of Terror was eerily spooky as black clouds swirled around the building.

As we were sitting down, a thunder crack filled the air and the skies opened. Suddenly, it was raining harder than I had ever seen before with constant thunder and lightning.

My family turned around and sprinted at full speed down the road to the park exit. By the time we reached the bus, we were completely drenched.

Every time we see Fantasmic!, we joke about that one horrible experience.

irish1967
06-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Probably 4 or 5 years ago, we were at WDW with myself, DH, DS(2 at the time) DS(5 at the time) and my DDad. We were staying at the Poly and somehow managed to get a MK view.

After a morning at the MK and lunch in the park,I had brought DS2 back to the room for a nap and DH, DDad and DS5 went to EPCOT. My DS was sleeping on the bed and I was sitting on the balcony enjoying the view. All of a sudden, the sky over the castle turned black and I watched the clouds move over the water toward me. I could see the curtains of rain coming down and moved into the room seconds before it reached me. At that point, I could see blue sky and the sun shining over Cinderella's Castle - I wish I had the camera because it was one of the coolest sights I have ever seen.

DH, DS5 and DDad were dripping wet when they returned!

MagicKingdom12
06-06-2007, 05:44 PM
My weather story happened New Years Eve 2001 into 2002. We were going to see the University of Iowa Hawkeyes play some team called the Trojans from Southern California in the Orange Bowl. We of course stayed at WDW and drove down to Miami for the game and back, but anyways. We were at Epcot getting primed for the New Year and it started pouring. It wasn't one of those rain for an hour situations and then be perfect. It rained and it didn't stop all day. There was a break in it somewhat, so being wet already and it still being warm we decided to walk around Epcot and enjoy it. Sure enough it opened back up and we were drenched. It was my wife, myself, and our friend. Our friend had a light weight sweater on that was like a sponge and was weighing her down. She decided to lose it. She was fine she had a tank top and a camisole on underneath. The problem was the sweater was a tan color which matched her skin quite well. The tank top and the camisole also were a skinlike color. Needless to say we were getting several curious looks and we couldn't figure out why. Finally I walked a distance away and turned around and looked and our good friend looked very topless. She absolutely was not and nothing at all was "showing". Up close you wouldn't have thought a thing, but from a distance I would have done a double take and thought why does that woman not have her shirt one. Once we realized it we bought a poncho and carried on. We still laugh out loud about it.

garymacd
06-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Last year, my wife and I were walking through Epcot and looking for a place to have an early dinner. It was stinking hot and I was sweating like the pig I am. We always wanted to eat at the Rose and Crown. We were there early enough that we got a table right away. My wife asked if we could sit on the patio. I looked at her like she was an alien from some weird planet that liked heat. But I relented and we sat on the patio right next to the water.

There was a nice breeze that cooled me down sufficiently until my Imperial Sampler of beers came to cool me even more. As our meal was ending, we noticed that the sky was getting really dark really fast. We finished our desserts just in time for an incredible wind, rain and lightning storm to blow in.

Well, there was nothing for it but to order another Imperial Sampler and sit there and enjoy the lightning dancing off the water right in front of us. I was really enjoying it. My beloved wife was looking at me like I was some alien from a weird planet that likes lightning. Actually, she thought it was pretty great too.

In the end, it was a great win-win situation. We got to eat where we wanted, my wife got to sit on the patio, I got cooled off - with beer - and we saw the most amazing light show ever.

Earnhardt321
06-07-2007, 04:11 AM
I know i have posted this before but it is the best weather moment we have ever had.
The day that had started out very nice turned to rain a few hours before the fireworks at MK so there was a parade instead. We decided to skip the parade and ride splash mountain since we were very wet anyway. We got on and rode the ride and ran back around to get back on. There was no line so we kept on doing that we went 5 or 6 times in a row with no line. Finally the CM said that we might as well stay on unless a group came in and then we would have to get off the ride. We were amazed and thought it would be so much fun but it was 9:00 and we had to meet up with our parents so we got off the ride. Our parents didn't show up at our spot for 30min. They were stuck on the other side of the park due to the parade. Man were we mad. But nobody stays mad to long at the happiest place on earth!

Mickey91
06-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Our entire Sept 2005 trip! A hurricane had planted itself right outside of Jacksonville for the entire week and the cloud cover made for the absolute BEST weather and temperatures we've ever experienced at WDW. I remember the wind kicking up really bad one day :fan:for an hour or so and commenting to my husband,"Wow, is there a hurricane?" And there was!!! We were sad to see it go our last day. Forgot how very HOT it could be in Sept.!:sun:

snowflakegirl
06-07-2007, 08:30 AM
I have a bunch of weather-related memories at WDW ... many fond memories from when I was a kid, running and playing in the rain with my little sister and parents. More recently, I went with a friend in 2002 and we were in Animal Kingdom on our last day (and I mean really last, the park closed at 5 and we were getting on the road...) and we decided to get our faces painted. Rigth after that we went on Dinosaur! When we went to leave the store after the ride we realized that it was the middle of a torrential downpour. We spent about forty minutes sitting on the floor near the back of the store where the ride exit is, watching the the tv screens where they show the guy lookign for the dinosaur that's loose in the facility and talking about all the wonderful things we'd done while we were there. It was a great way to end the trip. :mickey:

BelleBeauty
06-07-2007, 12:06 PM
I have 2 WDW - weather related stories:

#1 - We were just hopped on the backstage tour in MGM. As we started on the outdoor ride portion of the ride I noticed that it was getting a tad bit dark out there in the distance. Well, the sky certainly opened up on us. We made the mistake of sitting in the front of one of the cars and we were drenched. We both had our cameras & memory cards with us...mind you this was day 11 of 15 of our honeymoon so we were both so worried of something going terribly wrong with the cards (nothing happened though). During this downpour (which lasted the whole entire ride) my DH was saying how he was going to hop out of the car to get off the ride......was I furious :mad:. He never did get the chance to hop out because a minute later the ride ended. At the end of the ride we took some pictures of us soaked and laugh about it now :funny:

#2 - The morning of day 13 of our trip we went to MK at opening and planned on going to EPCOT in the afternoon. As we were walking down MS we were approached by a "special" castmember who asked us to be Grand Marshals of the afternoon parade...of course we jumped at the chance. Well the parade starts at 3 and at 12 it started raining :(. We headed back to our resort and decided to wait it out...it never stopped! So we headed to MK anyway and as soon as our bus pulled the to stop at MK the sky cleared...it's like it was meant to be just for us :cloud9:. We went through our parade route and when our time was up as Grand Marshals and we had our pictures taken and the actual parade started...it started raining again. It was as though someone wanted us to have this once in a life time chance to be Grand Marshals.....it was absolutely amazing.

Only 169 more days until my next WDW fix!

Beri_Boo I'm so glad that the weather was perfectly set up for the two of you during your honeymoon! That's great story - and what a chance of a life time. :mickey:

berri_boo
06-07-2007, 03:13 PM
It was amazing how the weather "worked" for us! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for our upcoming trip.