PDA

View Full Version : New Tahoe Gas Mileage

d_m_n_n
06-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Does anyone here own one of the newer Chevy Tahoes? We have an '04 and looking at trading for the '07 model. I know they came up with the new engine that will shut off cylinders (or whatever... :blush: ), but I am wondering if they get any better mileage than mine. As much as I love my Tahoe (this is my 3rd), I am getting :sick: when I have to fill it up at the station. If they haven't improved much, we may start looking at the smaller SUV's or (gasp...) a minivan. :-o I can't believe I just said/considered that!

THANKS!!!

MarkC
06-04-2007, 12:30 PM
My brother has one and they are not good, maybe only a mile or so better than yours. Unfortunately, a lot of vehicles recently are not measuring up to their EPA estimates, especially the hybrids. You don't say how many kids you have, but in almost every case a mini-van is going to ride nicer, quiter, and get much better mileage than an SUV. I've never understood why people choose SUV's over mini-vans when mini-vans are cheaper, better mileage, nicer, etc. If you only have two kids, I would recommend something like a Toyota Avalon. We have one after having 3 mini-vans, and we get about 20 in town and 28-30 on the interstate. Great car with lots of room.

Figment78
06-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi! I actually work for a Chevy dealership so hopefully I can help with a few of your questions. And my dad drove the 07 Tahoe for a while, so I've been in it personally as well.

The MPG on the 2007 is slightly better than the 2004 (from what I found on Edmunds for the 04). 2007 gets from 16city/22hwy (2WD) to 15city/21hwy (4x4). I do like a lot of the features they added to the 2007 though, and it is a nice looking vehicle. It also comes in an E85 Flexfuel model, if you have any of those stations near where you live. And there is the Active Fuel Management technology that you mentioned too.

The Equinox (smaller SUV) gets a little better mileage, but is smaller. I personally drive a Trailblazer, which although the MPG is similar to the tahoe, I still love it. I'm short, so I like feeling like I sit higher in the SUV.

The Malibu Maxx has a lot of nice family friendly features for a car - DVD player option, backseat sunroofs, and lots of cargo space. + good MPG. The HHR also has a lot of cargo room & good mpg, if you need room for kids sports equipment and stuff.

But as far as the SUVs go, yeah the gas prices are getting up there, but it's still your personal preference.

Good luck with your search!

FriendsofMickey
06-04-2007, 01:10 PM
We have a '07 Tahoo. The gas millage usually runs around 16 mpg city and let's say 20 or 21 highway. I do tend to let it idle a lot though, because I will eave my MIL in there with the girls while I run into stores.
My Dh gets better millage than I do though, so when he is driving he gets at leaset 17 mpg city.

d_m_n_n
06-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Thank you all for your replies!

Unfortunately, a lot of vehicles recently are not measuring up to their EPA estimates, especially the hybrids.

This is exactly why I'm asking! What the sticker says and what a vehicle actually gets can be two completely things! Especially using the E85...it kills our mileage. It has to be quite a bit less $$$ to justify the loss in mileage.

My problem is that I really do love my truck. We only have 2 kids, so the size isn't so much the issue. We do like the extra seat so that we can take grandparents/friends along if needed. With DH's job we are actually one of those individuals that uses 4 wheel drive (and I've been known to pull an occasional wagon). I guess I just don't want to go the minivan route because as a teenager that was my "going out on the weekend" car. :blush: I said I would never own a van...I guess "never" may have arrived!

lovetheprincesses
06-04-2007, 03:48 PM
We have one, and we LOVE it. I have had it almost a year, but I will say it does NOT get better gas mileage than my "99 Yukon did. My yukon was a four wheel drive, and I bought a 2 wheel drive 'o7 tahoe, and the gas mileage is horrible, nothing like what the sticker said. That being said, we LOVE the vehicle. That is the only negative for us. I would recommend the parking assist option, as there is a pretty bad blind spot when going in reverse.

princessjojo
06-05-2007, 08:58 AM
.... we may start looking at the smaller SUV's or (gasp...) a minivan. :-o I can't believe I just said/considered that!

I feel you there. I love my Tahoe, but the MPG :faint:... I have a few family members who have mini-vans and my sister LOVES hers. She's actually a bus if she thinks about it as she is always taking her 2 kids along with about 3-5 others everywhere. They do ride good and have enough space, but, and I say this carefully, there's something about driving a mini-van that makes me feel older than I want to be.

But I may have to jump the fence with you in a few years. Ours is an 02 and it has been great. Almost 150k miles and nothing has gone wrong yet and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck! My bicycle is actually looking more and more appealing every time I pass the gas pumps.

Tinkerfreak
06-05-2007, 09:09 AM
I atually traded my mini-van (estrogen mobile as DH calls it) for a Mercedes C240. Yes I do get twice the gas mileage but I do miss the convenience of the minivan. They are just plain old perfect for families with kids. We also have a GMC truck with the side doors on it but the minivans are just so much easier for people to get in and out of. If you travel at all with older people it is nicer for them. My mom has a Ford Explorer and while it is nice it does not have the third row seating. I guess you need to think about what you use your vehicle for and how many passergers you usually have. Although I love the Benz at the pump and when it is just our family of 4 it is too cramped when the kids need to bring a friend.

Ian
06-05-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm actively in the market for a new Tahoe, so I've talked to quite a few people who own them.

A few points ... you're not going to get a completely accurate viewpoint of how the gas mileage is from someone driving a brand new one. All vehicles get better gas mileage as time goes on and the engine gets broken in. What you're getting in a two month old Tahoe won't be the same as what you're getting in a twelve month old one. Many times the mileage will climb significantly over that time period.

As far as full-size SUV's go, there aren't many out there that will do better than the Tahoe/Yukon. The new DoD (Displacement on Demand) feature helps boost your MPG and the availability of the flex fuel option is huge, IMO.

I just got a mailer offering $1,500 bonus cash on Tahoe and Yukon, so I'm actually heading to a dealer at lunch today to check them out again.

d_m_n_n
06-05-2007, 03:16 PM
So, Ian...what'd you think? Are you cruising around in your new truck right now? :D

Ian
06-06-2007, 03:56 PM
So, Ian...what'd you think? Are you cruising around in your new truck right now? :DNah ... since I work for GM, they often have what they call "pull ahead" deals where they'll let you out of your existing GM lease early if you roll into a new GM lease.

I'm 6 months from the end of my current lease and that's normally when you can begin to pull ahead, but turns out that right now it's only 2 months.

So I'm idling until like September. :(