PDA

View Full Version : Non DVC Resorts

llamaface
06-04-2007, 08:42 AM
I have a couple of questions that maybe you could help me with. As you can see from my signature, my family has been visiting Disney essentially once a year since '01. We are determined to make it a family tradition - so far, so good! I have been trying from to convince my DH that we should join the DVC. He has been negative to the suggestion, mainly because of the yearly maintenance fees. What kills me is that the whole thing (minus yearly fees)would have been pd for already with the $$ we have used for our previous trips.
We are now planning on returning in Oct of this year - yet again I am wondering, should the $$ we are going to spend on this vaca be used toward the purchase of points for the DVC????
With all this said, I have now convinced my DH to at least think about it. He is starting to think more positively about it. Now I am starting to think maybe we should question whether it is a good idea or not - mainly because we love to stay at nonDVC resorts. We love the Poly and have aspirations to stay at the GF. If those resorts are where we love to stay, is it worth it to buy into the DVC? I can't find a point chart online that lists these resorts.
Sorry if I am rambling, but Help..........

Zippy_D_DooDah
06-04-2007, 10:23 AM
You will use way more points when you stay at the Non-DVC resorts. Here's a break a little break down based on the current point chart:

Poly (Sun-Thu October stay): Garden View = 41 Points PER NIGHT (Total = 205 Points!!!)

You can do the same trip and stay at SSR in a studio for 55 points. Or an OKW studio for 40 points. You could even stay in a SSR 2-Bed Room with much more space and a full kitchen for 145 points.

DVC will not be a good decision for your family if you are planning on just staying at the non-DVC resorts. Hope that helps.

Lucille
06-04-2007, 10:25 AM
In the most inexpensive season a weekday night in a garden view room at the Poly is 36 points; weekend nights are 65 points.

Zippy_D_DooDah
06-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Let me add something... I'm not saying that you couldn't stay at the non-DVC places. If you are going a lot, you will fall in love with the different DVC resorts, then maybe down the line, you can bank points and splurge one year for a stay at GF.

Ian
06-04-2007, 11:30 AM
DVC is definitely not a good idea if you plan on staying at the non-DVC resorts. Your points just don't go far enough.

The benefits from buying DVC really don't work out if you don't stay at DVC resorts.