PDA

View Full Version : DVC for the group of 5

DWHUBBY
06-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Let me preface this by saying that this particular situation does not apply to my family as we are a family of 4, this is merely an unbiased comentary. We have just returned from the world and my DW made the observation that there seemed to be as many parties of 5 as there were parties of 4. This got me thinking.

Hypothetical situation:
family of 5 owns DVC points and wants to go on vacation at a DVC resort. Forget about the points needed for now. Their options right now at any DVC resort include:
1. 3 bedroom grand villa (sleeps 12)
2. 2 bedroom (1 br + 1 studio) (sleeps 8)
3. 2 studios (sleeps 8)
4. 2 1 bedrooms (sleeps 8)
Here is my commentary:
I know from touring the AKLV during this trip that the AKLV 1 bedroom will be available for parties of 5 with a pullout chair. Now my question is why can't the other Resorts do this? The rooms are the same size except OKW which are even larger.:confused:
I can see the business side of only having 4 in a studio or 1 br...people will need to get larger accomidations to fit a family of 5, therefore more money for the business. But the flip side to that issue is this. If this family could get 5 people in a 1 bedroom, wouldn't it be possible they may be able to afford (in points) a second trip in that particular year because they didn't have to use all their points on the larger accommidation. By the time they pay for dining, passes and souvineers, wouldn't that bring in more money than if they could only go once because they neede a bigger room?

The other thing is the fact that a studio and a 1 br both only sleep 4. There a 4 "levels" of accomidations (studio, 1 bd, 2 br & 3 br) but only 3 sizes(sleep 4, 8 or 12). Shouldn't a 1 bedroom be more accomidating than a studio if they are going to charge double the points for it? I know it has a whirlpool tub and a w/d but it still sleeps the same number of people as a studio.

They may be realizing this and are trying it out on AKLV and if that is the case then horray for them. :thumbsup: If not, maybe they need to think about the money they may be losing now that they could gain by switching the stuffed chair in the current 1 brs for a pullout chair that takes up the same space but allows this family to take 2 trips instead of 1 each year.:mickey:

That's my opinion, I welcome yours.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-03-2007, 10:51 PM
We are a family of 5 that bought into DVC back in January. Our kids are 9,7 and 3.

When we were in the beginning stages of purchasing our salesman told us (he brought it up, we had no clue about room occupancy in which rooms yet) that our family of 5 can stay in a one bedroom even though it says 4. (PLEASE do not start a debate about this, I know all of the technical aspects of this issue :)) They do not provide linens or a bed for the 5th person but, we can bring an air bed or have our youngest sleep with us. We are bringing an airbed.

We have called MS numerous times about this and have been assured that it is fine. We are still nervous that when we get there we will have a problem. DH and I have talked about just reserving a 2 bedroom but, if they are telling us we can do it, we are going to trust their recommendation.

After all that, lol, I really wish they would add a sleeper chair or make some of the rooms at the other DVC resorts for a family of 5 (as a written "rule") instead of having to get a 2 bed. My kids are young enough that the one bedroom is really a great size for us. Last trip we were still able to stay in a Value since our DD was not 3 yet so, a one bedroom is going to seem really big.

Thanks for giving those families of 5 a thought. ;)

TiggerRPh
06-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Personally....I wouldn't want to put a party of 5 in anything smaller than a 2 BR. It'll be less cramped and you'll have 2 bathrooms.

HockeyKat
06-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Actually, the AKV one bedrooms will have two bathrooms. We toured the model at the SSR preview center 2 weeks ago. So that will really be the best bet for a DVC family of 5.

My understanding was that all 1-bedrooms are allowed 5 (no linens of course) and that is a written rule and not just a guideline.

However, I totally agree that they should add the sleeper chair to OKW at the very least. Hopefully they will refurb it soon, as it definitely could use one, and add the sleeper chair.

(Disclaimer: We are a childfree couple so the party of 5 thing doesn't apply to us.)

mprewitt
06-04-2007, 07:30 AM
Actually, the AKV one bedrooms will have two bathrooms. We toured the model at the SSR preview center 2 weeks ago.

The 1-BR in Kidani Village (2009) will have two bathrooms. The 1-BR in Jambo (existing AKL) will only have one batchroom.

CarolMN
06-04-2007, 12:05 PM
....(snip)....My understanding was that all 1-bedrooms are allowed 5 (no linens of course) and that is a written rule and not just a guideline......That's not correct. It is just MS current policy which could be changed. The POS (Position Offering Statement, one of the legal documents) puts the maximum occupancy of the 1 bedrooms at 4 for all of the DVC resorts prior to AKV .

As already posted, some of the 1 bedroom units at the AKV do officially sleep 5. (The value 1 bedrooms sleep 4).

DWHUBBY
06-06-2007, 07:42 PM
bump

Tinkermom
06-06-2007, 11:34 PM
We are a family of 5 that bought into DVC back in January. Our kids are 9,7 and 3.

When we were in the beginning stages of purchasing our salesman told us (he brought it up, we had no clue about room occupancy in which rooms yet) that our family of 5 can stay in a one bedroom even though it says 4. (PLEASE do not start a debate about this, I know all of the technical aspects of this issue :)) They do not provide linens or a bed for the 5th person but, we can bring an air bed or have our youngest sleep with us. We are bringing an airbed.

We have called MS numerous times about this and have been assured that it is fine. We are still nervous that when we get there we will have a problem. DH and I have talked about just reserving a 2 bedroom but, if they are telling us we can do it, we are going to trust their recommendation.

After all that, lol, I really wish they would add a sleeper chair or make some of the rooms at the other DVC resorts for a family of 5 (as a written "rule") instead of having to get a 2 bed. My kids are young enough that the one bedroom is really a great size for us. Last trip we were still able to stay in a Value since our DD was not 3 yet so, a one bedroom is going to seem really big.

Thanks for giving those families of 5 a thought. ;)

Don't worry, you will be fine! We are also a family of 5 and have stayed in a one bedroom without any problems. Your kids are young enough where you will not feel too cramped. Ours are older now (6, 10 and 12) and we prefer a 2 bedroom as our boys are too old to share a bed now.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Don't worry, you will be fine! We are also a family of 5 and have stayed in a one bedroom without any problems. Your kids are young enough where you will not feel too cramped. Ours are older now (6, 10 and 12) and we prefer a 2 bedroom as our boys are too old to share a bed now.

Thanks!! :) We are thinking we should be fairly comfortable since we were able to stay in one room at Pop (that was cramped) last year and will have more room at SSR. I appreciate you calming my fears..lol.

DWHUBBY
06-19-2007, 07:30 PM
My DW booked our next trip in February. My MIL will be going with us this time so it makes us a party of 5. GUESS WHAT...MS told us that we could not put 5 people in a 1BR.:mad::confused:
Why is it that some CMs say you can and some say you can't? I know the policy is no more that 4 in a 1BR, but, as reported in the replies above, several people have been told by MS that 5 would be ok. I don't get it !!!