PDA

View Full Version : Another July Camping Question

BashfulMom
06-03-2007, 08:07 PM
My wonderfully insane family :crazy: is considering changing our July reservations at WL to tent camping at FW.

1. If we do this can we rent tents from Disney or should we bring our own?
2. Do they provide sleeping bags or do we need to bring our own?
3. What are the best loops (we would need one with electric) ?
4. Can we still take the boat from FW to the MK?

I know WL is perferable over FW, but some of our family members are not sure they can swing the $$ for WL.

drummerboy
06-03-2007, 10:24 PM
My wonderfully insane family :crazy: is considering changing our July reservations at WL to tent camping at FW.

I know WL is perferable over FW, but some of our family members are not sure they can swing the $$ for WL.
1. & 2. To my knowledge, Disney does not rent tents or other camping equipment.

3. Most of the loops have electric, but only the preferred ones have cable.

4. Yes, you can still take the boat.

However...

Give some serious thought to tent camping in the July Florida heat and humidity. Using one of the value hotels like Pop might be preferable, since you can at least be air conditioned. I'd certainly stack one of Disney's value resorts against any more expensive outside hotels any day.

mamaloya
06-05-2007, 08:43 PM

1. Yes, FW does rent camping equipment. The tents are around $35 per night, or at least they were 3 yrs ago. They also rent cots (can't remember how much). The tents are decent size, but older. You can find one at Walmart for around $50 and have it for the future. They sell bigger ones with 3 rooms for under $100. I would also bring an air mattress and sheets. Adult size sleeping bags won't fit in the washing machines there if you need to wash them. For the littles, WM sells camping mats or smaller than twin air mattresses that take up less space.

2. They will not provide sleeping bags.

3. All loops have electric. They have 3 classes of loops. Partial-only have water and electric and only tents and popups can stay there. Full-have water, sewer, and electric. Preferred have cable in addition to the other and are closer to the marina. If I were in a tent, I would stay in the partial as they have more space for setting up a tent.

4. And yes, you do take the boat to MK with a quick stop at WL first.

Now, if some of your family has a bigger budget, you may see about having some tent in the 2000 loop and other stay in cabins in the 2100 loop (the cabins rent for around $250 per night and sleep 6). You would be fairly close, but those not into camping would be in a nice cabin.

You could also sleep 12 in 2 cabins instead of 3 rooms and split the cabin costs to save money and get the cost down. The cabins have a bedroom with a full bed and a set of bunk beds and a pull down murphy bed in the living room. They also have a full kitchen.

We have tented at FW. Now, in July it will be HOT! You can put a fan in the tent. I have also seen people put window air conditioners outside the tent and blowing in. Google tent air conditioners and you can find kits for connecting them to the tent. You can also find portable air conditioners in some places. Some put an open cooler full of ice inside with a fan blowing over it all night.

The comfort stations are air conditioned, so you can shower and then head straight to the parks with no more discomfort than anyone staying in a hotel room.

OK, I think I covered everything. If you have any other questions, just ask.

Happy Camping!

ibrowse17
06-05-2007, 08:57 PM
As an avid camper and lover of FW, I must warn you about camping in July or August if you are not used to summers in the south. It will be very hot and very humid, with not much relief from either at night. Rain may also become a problem, but still not as bad as the heat. The only thing worse than a hot day at Disney is a hot, sleepless night at Disney. Many people take lawn chairs and sit in the AC of the Comfort Stations. However, FW is a great place and we have tent camped there many times. In the summer, though, I take the trailer with AC.:thumbsup:

drummerboy
06-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Mamaloya thanks for the info about the rentals. I had no idea they were doing that.

mamaloya
06-09-2007, 05:53 PM
drummerboy, when you make a ressie you can reserve a tent then. Not all CMs are familiar, so you may have to ask for someone else. When I called, they said they don't and I said, "yes they do". They dug a little deeper and were like "Hmm, I guess they do."

Ayndi
06-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Well, honestly I wouldn't even consider camping in FL during July. And I'm from there.

It's miserable hot that time of year. The parks will be hot and crowded, and the nights will be hot sticky and with little breeze. Not to mention the mosquitos.

Can you possibly swing for a tent a/c at least?

mamaloya
06-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Walmart sells portable air conditioners that you can sit anywhere. There is a drain tube to drain it off out of the tent. Some don't even need a drain. Go to walmart.com and google air conditioner and you will get a few choices that will work in a tent.

There are even gizmos for sale that will attach a regular window unit through the wall of your tent. I can't find the website though. You can do it yourself or buy a tent with it already done, all you have to buy is the unit.

If I were going to camp in July, I would definitely invest in an air conditioner.

disneydeb
06-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Today's special value on QVC is a portable air conditioner that may work well. I would have to have air conditioning if I were to tent camp in spring, summer or fall!
deb

casey@bat
06-13-2007, 10:00 PM
It seems to me that by the time you buy the tent and all the stuff you need to go with it, you could definately stay in a value resort.

Good luck getting into FW in July of this year.

BashfulMom
06-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Good news!!!

We are not changing reservations after all. My in-laws decided not to come. :(
Luckily I didn't cancel our WL reservations.

WL here we come! :woohoo: