PDA

View Full Version : New ride audio tract at Kilimanjaro Safaris

CandleontheWater
06-03-2007, 06:18 PM
When I was at AK last weekend we (unfortunately) rode one of the vehicles that featured the new ride audio. I'm sorry to report that it really degrades a wonderful ride experience. One thing I love about Disney is that it themes every experience and adds that extra layer of interest by adding an engaging story line that helps to draw you into the experience even further. Now the ride audio does not have any mention of Catherine Jobson, does not ever mention Big Red and Little Red by name and the experience of hunting down the poachers is cut back significantly. I think Disney did this to try and concentrate on the animals more, but there are now a lot of dead times when you ride around in silence. I also liked when Warren Wilson or Ms. Jobson gave us information about the animals, now all that is lacking (no more mention of "tommies"). I also liked the interactive aspect when you chased down the poachers to save Little Red, now in the end you do cut off the poachers, but the poaching theme and the importance of Big Red as the elephant matriarch is completely left out. I feel like the end is just tacked on, with no real context or build up. The poster about Big Red in the queue area is still there, just no mention of her in the ride at all. The part I think is most tragic is that they've altered the part where you ride across the savannah and listen to the African music. That was one of my most favorite parts, because I loved to look over the savannah vista, and take in all the animals and listen to the exotic African music. They still play the music, but it was in a corridor-like area, where the vegitation is close to the vehicle on either side, and you are getting to the part with the rickety bridge. No insprining vistas, just moving from one place to another near the end of the ride. I think this is just awful, and I really think the "improvements" take away from a wonderful ride.

ToDisney
06-03-2007, 06:47 PM
OH, NO!! I would say my kids would be heart broken... But I think my family will be!!!
I really think this is what made this part of "Disney" not just another zoo ride. remember the comercial notazu, well the story helped make it differant. I guess maybe some people just thought it was silly.
Maybe those of us who liked it will let it be known that its missed and soon enough we will hearing from Warren Wilson, Ms. Jobson and Big Red again.
:mickey:

DizneyRox
06-03-2007, 07:52 PM
I'd really like to know the reasons behind the changes. I'm kindof a root cause type person, and knowing what prompted the changes may help explain them a little more, however they certainly don't sound very good.

We've been on the safari probably a hundred times now. One day we went on 7 times, so we've been on good safaris and bad ones. Some of the wardens have been awful, they just interacted with the spiel, they did nothing to point out animals, etc. Others have een great!

I hope this isn't designed to make the ride easier to train people on or something. I can't imagine what the reasoning is behind what you are describing. Sounds like change for the sake of change which is often not a good thing.

WDWfanatic742
06-03-2007, 08:07 PM
I'll know how the new experience is on Saturday. First time I saw the changes they didn't seem that bad but I haven't seen many people who like the changes.

A Big Kid
06-03-2007, 08:13 PM
The story was getting kind of old. I also think calling the changes, "tragic" is a little much.

JPL
06-03-2007, 08:28 PM
I have heard the reasoning behind the change is to allow more freedom for the CM's and that too many were missing their cues on the ride and the story was being lost. So by changing the spiel it allows more interaction with the CM. Problem is a bad CM can ruin the experience now.

Jared
06-03-2007, 11:19 PM
I could not disagree more. I experienced the new audio a couple weeks ago and thought it was a huge improvement.

The storyline with Big Red and Little Red was old, contrived and ridiculous. Either the Cast Member would overact, making a mockery of a beautiful attraction, or not take it seriously, making the storyline pointless.

The new story is subtle and not intrusive. To me, Kilimanjaro Safaris is about the animals, not a stupid story.

dolphinmickey9170
06-03-2007, 11:34 PM
I thought the new audio was a let down. I really liked the "old" way, so to speak. If it has been left up to the CM driver to kick it up, well, then our driver let us down. He was very "blah" and hardley said a word.

StitchplusTink=STINK
06-04-2007, 08:51 AM
OH, NO!! I would say my kids would be heart broken... But I think my family will be!!!
I really think this is what made this part of "Disney" not just another zoo ride. remember the comercial notazu, well the story helped make it differant. I guess maybe some people just thought it was silly.
Maybe those of us who liked it will let it be known that its missed and soon enough we will hearing from Warren Wilson, Ms. Jobson and Big Red again.
:mickey:

i sure hope we hear from them soon too!! i think that the mention of big and little red was very important. not only did it turn a safari into a disney ride, it was a very important message. and i have to agree with the whole african music and the savannah paired together. it made me feel like i really was in africa. im gonna miss it dearly!

Stu29573
06-04-2007, 11:19 AM
The story was getting kind of old. I also think calling the changes, "tragic" is a little much.

While "tragic" may be a bit much, you have to remember that most people don't get to go to WDW very often, so it wasn't getting "old" at all to them....I've never been a huge fan of the ride (I guess because the first time I went on it it was VERY hot and we had to wait forever) but the poaching part, while a bit "preachy," was the part I enjoyed the most.... Oh well, I guess I won't bother with this one again...

Stickey
06-04-2007, 01:26 PM
I will need to try the new version before I can determine if the changes are positive, or negative.

The animals are the stars of the Kilamanjaro Safaris. The story is secondary. Perhaps Ms. Jobson did not make it over the rickety bridge.
:gator:

Jared
06-04-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm surprised by the responses in this thread. I never imagined people were so attached to the storyline.

Am I the only one who thought it was absurd and pointless?

LandFan
06-04-2007, 05:23 PM
We thought the story was silly too. It was ok the first and/or second time but now it drives us nuts so we won't be sorry to see it go! DH can't stand the safari due to it and was happy when I told him it is gone.:thumbsup:

PirateLover
06-04-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm surprised by the responses in this thread. I never imagined people were so attached to the storyline.

Am I the only one who thought it was absurd and pointless?

I'm on your side. I wouldn't necessarily call it absurd, but it was definitely unnecessary. Kilimanjaro Safaris is not Jungle Cruise. It doesn't need some side-story to propel it along. Isn't it enough to be able to appreciate all the different animals in their habitats? Our driver on our last trip was great. We learned so much more than ever before. I think it's much more interesting to hear commentary about what is currently going on with the animals, rather than listen to a prerecorded spiel.

hubbyofadisneyholic
06-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Sorry boys and girls, but I almost fell out of my chair reading this thread.
People are complaining about the original audio track being "absurd...pointless...contrived". All of this in a theme park that was made possible by a mouse. A talking mouse.

Oh the irony!!!:silly:

thejens
06-04-2007, 08:50 PM
I just returned from a trip and didn't realize what was missing. I do remember last year thinking the story was hokey and a bit distracting. This time, though, I kept looking for the poachers and couldn't quite get the plot. It still needs some tweaking I think. I don't remember any music. I'd love African music and just a little information about the animals. Our driver didn't add much. He went along with the little poacher chase story, but it did seem like it had been edited to the point of "huh?"

EmiB
06-04-2007, 09:26 PM
The part I think is most tragic is that they've altered the part where you ride across the savannah and listen to the African music. That was one of my most favorite parts, because I loved to look over the savannah vista, and take in all the animals and listen to the exotic African music. They still play the music, but it was in a corridor-like area...

Say it isn't so! That music was fun!

But I am not surprised, based on the numerous changes this ride's story has gone through:

A) I recall hearing that when the ride originally opened, "Little Red" was not saved in the end to make the point about the poachers.

B) As memory serves me, a CM used to stand with a baby elephant at the end, which finally just changed to an animatronic in a truck.

C) Only once have I ridden the safari where both the "rickety old bridge" and "drive by poacher truck" elements occurred. Every other time it has been one or the other...usually neither. And I frequent WDW often.

I agree that this was probably changed due to an increase in animal interest and CM's "missing" (whether purposefully or not) cues.