PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to Bring Back Alien Encounter

TakeMe2EPCOT
06-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Hi everyone:

I know this is an already often-discussed topic, but I just returned from a trip recently and I just can't get over how much it pains me every time I walk past that idiotic Stitch attraction that used to be the great Alien Encounter. So I decided to post a few reasons why I think Alien Encounters was such a great attraction and should be revived.

Scary--one of the few truly scary attractions at MK. Yes, I know a lot of parents whined that it was too scary for little kids, but there are plenty of other attractions for the little ones.
Exciting. It was really a heart-pounding attraction that didn't even move.
Simple but awesome story. What better? We have an alien, we're teleporting it here to show it to you...wait! It's escaped!
Re-ride value. It was always worth going back on again and again since it was so scary. Each time the audience would react in different, unique ways. It was fun to hear the ten year old girls scream in terror. Great fun!

Now what do we have? A dull, crass attraction that lacks originality.

Anyone have any items to add to the list?

Ayndi
06-03-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm glad they got rid of AE, and I think they should get rid of Stitch too. Yuk to both of them.

Bring back an updated version of If I Had Wings. :D

CandleontheWater
06-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I completely agree! In fact my brothers and I were just talking about what a great ride it was and remembering all the adventures we had riding it.

Here is another reason
-Because Skippy was awesome!

DisneyNut2005
06-03-2007, 06:10 PM
When will folks stop being so selfish and self-centered and learn to comprehend that AE is never ever coming back?!:mad:

AE had absolutely no business being in the Magic Kingdom, due to its extremely intense nature, unnecessary violence and overly dark, unoptimistic tone. Stitch is a better fit and is, IMO, better than AE for a myriad of reasons.

Speedy1998
06-03-2007, 06:45 PM
My :twocents: is that neither attraction belongs in Tommorowland. While Stich is a better fit for the MK, I would rather see an attraction that had a theme that was along the line of the original theme of tommorowland.

Originally that space was Mission to the Moon and then it was replaced by Mission to Mars. While it makes no sence to bring back a ride likw that (too much like Mission Space) and would like to see a ride that actually deals with the world of Tommorrow.

Pastcastmemberdaughter
06-03-2007, 06:46 PM
When will folks stop being so selfish and self-centered and learn to comprehend that AE is never ever coming back?!:mad:

AE had absolutely no business being in the Magic Kingdom, due to its extremely intense nature, unnecessary violence and overly dark, unoptimistic tone. Stitch is a better fit and is, IMO, better than AE for a myriad of reasons.

WHOA, lets put the train in reverse here and head back to the station! What's that all about? :confused:

I for one like them both but for different reasons. I like the new one because I love Stitch and I think it has some cuter qualities to it, but to me it's not a must ride.

The old AE was great too. I love the fact that it kept you on your toes and you experienced it differently each time because of the audiance reactions.

To me it belonged there just as much as Tower of Terror belongs in MGM. I rode it once and will never ride it again because I hate the heights and the intensity of the ride.

There were many signs in front of AE explaining the strong exprience that you would have, to me that was plenty of a warning. If the person doesn't like dark, loud noises or an intense enviroment don't ride it.

I was happy to have the MK trying to put something a little more adult orriented in the park. Just because it's in the MK doesn't mean it's for everyone.

:soapbox:

dizneyfreek
06-03-2007, 07:30 PM
I was upset they got rid of AE. I think it was one of the best attractions and would go on it every trip. Haven't tried the new one yet.

TiggerRPh
06-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Re-ride value. It was always worth going back on again and again since it was so scary. Each time the audience would react in different, unique ways. It was fun to hear the ten year old girls scream in terror. Great fun!

This is one of the reasons I'm glad it's gone...it had no re-ride value. The little story it had was uninspired and boring. The effects were predictable. It was sort of fun the first time...ho hum the second...and boring the third.

A Big Kid
06-03-2007, 08:15 PM
This is one of the reasons I'm glad it's gone...it had no re-ride value. The little story it had was uninspired and boring. The effects were predictable. It was sort of fun the first time...ho hum the second...and boring the third.

I agree, re-ride value had no value to me. I scared the stuffings out of me the first time, but after that it was ho-hum.

rkmemkc
06-03-2007, 08:27 PM
After reading all of the responses there are definitely some strong opinions about this ride. I have my own as you all do, but I am going to comment on the question first presented. A reason to bring it back is the sheer pleasure of the unknown as a first rider and the excitement of taking someone on (who has never ridden it) and watching their reaction. {This is the same joy/effect at Honey I Shrunk the Audience.} AE was so realistic and a bit scary, but that is the fun of the parks. As far as being too scary for Magic Kingdom –how about Space Mountain. We don't take our small children on Space Mountain but if they changed this to Winnie the Pooh Mountain there would be more than a few opinions about it. As with any Disney move, they will not bring it back - but for some of us living those memories it makes us long to share with those we take with us and I personally have heard myself say, ‘That Stitch ride 'used to be so cool'! :mickey:

SBETigg
06-03-2007, 08:38 PM
If it was such a great, effective ride, they wouldn't have seen the need to change it in the first place. I agree that making it a Stitch-based attraction did not work either, but that doesn't mean they should spend the money to go back to something that didn't excite the masses. I propose Disney finds something totally new and adventurous for the space.

TakeMe2EPCOT
06-03-2007, 08:51 PM
I don't know...I think AE was a very successful ride. I just think Stitch came out, he was hot, real estate is tight, so the Disney park execs thought, "We need a Stitch ride. It's good for marketing. Where can we put it...let's see...well, get rid of AE. It has no marketing hooks."

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
06-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Yeah I liked AE but it did scare the heck out of me the one and only time I went on it. Ill admit to being 13 and clutching my moms hand for dear life at the time!

Then when we went back in May this year, saw Stitch, it just didnt compare. I wanted to go on AE though - much older now :blush: !

Then we went to DisneyQuest and I saw they had an AE attraction there. Went up to it, and the cast member told me it was the prequel to the ride. We went on it, and its just a shoot'em up video simulator - and, it wasn't good at all. Very weak actually. Needless to say, the cast member opened the door at the end and told us bluntly "you died".

I told him it didnt compare to the AE in MK - and he couldn't do anything but agree.

Chris :hatter:

SurferStitch
06-03-2007, 10:40 PM
DH and I really liked AE, and when we first heard it was being removed, we were bummed. We experienced it every time we went to WDW, and were sad to see it go.

BUT....when we heard Stitch was taking its place, we were thrilled. :stitch:

We love that "idiotic" Stitch attraction. I'm a huge Stitch fan, and I love seeing him life size. The story is cute...not breathtaking, but cute. We experience SGE at least 3-4 times per trip. It's always our first and last thing we do on our trips. It's humorous, cute, and I'm yet to hear one child cry on it (except for the recording of the crying baby in the soundtrack that was missing last December, so I guess it was removed), unlike the numerous children I heard screaming when it was AE (mostly due to unsuspecting parents).

AE could be a good return to come to MGM, but WDW seems to be doing fine without it, so just let it go....it's not coming back. :thedolls:

Morpheous
06-03-2007, 11:40 PM
I never rode AE, but I can honestly say that when I first went to WDW in 2005 One of the attractions I was most interested in is Stitches Great Escape. Seeing as how I love Stitch in General. No its not really a thrill ride but I think its fun, and the themeing is great. I would be really really sad to see it go back to AE my self but Im not really one who likes getting my pants scared off while on Vacation. (I dont consider roller coasters and what not scary though) I think its a cute attraction, and I try to go on it at least twice every day we are at the MK.

FormerCastMember
06-04-2007, 01:25 AM
I would love to see AE come back but at the same time i would just love to see Stitch go....and go far far away!

Spaceship Tigger
06-04-2007, 07:13 AM
Before I rode AE for the first time I had read in the guidebooks about how scary it was, and how people of all ages would come out crying. Needless to say, I was disappointed when all I could think about was the fact that they were trying to scare me by making my seat do weird things to me.

I'm sure plenty of other people enjoyed it, but from what I remember it wasn't a highly regarded attraction, which is why they switched it to very popular Stitch to begin with.

Jenemmy
06-04-2007, 07:30 AM
I enjoyed the AE attraction --- it was different and I loved hearing people's reactions. I do miss it. Stitch, however, has his appeal. I mean, I would pick AE over Stitch, but my kids ADORE it. It is perfectly gross for little boys my son's age LOL.

Stu29573
06-04-2007, 11:36 AM
AE was ok, I guess.....It was a little boring after the first time, and not really worth a long wait IMHO. However, I think Stitch fits in with MK more. I remember the building being used for Mission to Mars, and it would have been nice to have something like a very ramped up version of that go in there...Not a barf-fest like MS, but an attraction that explored various planets with a motion simulator (you know, with REAL science facts, etc) ...after all, it's a pretty big and exciting solar system.....:mickey:

mac badger
06-04-2007, 04:20 PM
When will folks stop being so selfish and self-centered and learn to comprehend that AE is never ever coming back?!

what does that even mean? wishing a ride would come back is selfish? i miss mr. toad, does that mean im self centered:confused:

grumpycajun
06-04-2007, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=DisneyNut2005;1307457]When will folks stop being so selfish and self-centered and learn to comprehend that AE is never ever coming back?!:mad:
QUOTE]

Wow. Kind of harsh, huh? Are you having a bad day today? You posted earlier with a similar tone. Hope tomorrow is better!;)

I'd like to see AE come back for two reasons.

1. I didn't get the chance to check it out before they changed it.
2. ANYTHING would be better than Stitch IMHO!

TakeMe2EPCOT
06-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I was thrown for a loop when I read those comments, too. Some people are just weird, I guess.

BTW, Mr. Toad ROCKS! He ROCKS!

Bring back Toad! Bring back Toad!

Ayndi
06-04-2007, 10:13 PM
I miss Mr. Toad too. :sob:

AnnetteFan
06-04-2007, 10:19 PM
SGE is not a great ride. AE was not a great ride either. If you ask me it's an even swap except Stitch appeals to more people than a random alien. Most of the ride effects are similar so I don't see how someone can argue that point.

2Epcot
06-04-2007, 10:50 PM
I always looked forward to Alien Encounter every time I came back to the Magic Kingdom. I went on Stitch on my last visit, and have no plans on every going on it again.

GrmGrninGost
06-04-2007, 11:02 PM
what does that even mean? wishing a ride would come back is selfish? i miss mr. toad, does that mean im self centered:confused:

Do you think there's a chance? Boy do I miss Mr. Toad!

RAIDER
06-05-2007, 04:06 AM
[QUOTE=Ayndi;1307419]I'm glad they got rid of AE, and I think they should get rid of Stitch too. Yuk to both of them.

I agree AE and Stich were awful..:ack::ack: I couldnt wait to get out of both ... I hope they replace it ASAP :mickey:

snifflesmcg
06-05-2007, 04:31 AM
There were many signs in front of AE explaining the strong exprience that you would have, to me that was plenty of a warning. If the person doesn't like dark, loud noises or an intense enviroment don't ride it.

I was happy to have the MK trying to put something a little more adult orriented in the park. Just because it's in the MK doesn't mean it's for everyone.

:soapbox:

:ditto: There is Nothing saying that ALL rides HAVE to be for children!!! To say it had no business being in MK is absurd!!!! Anyway.........I wasn't the biggest fan of AE. It was OK. I actually think Stitch is kinda cute. Personally, I think they need to come up with a different idea all together for that space.

Jenemmy
06-05-2007, 08:38 AM
I love Stitch the character, but I can sum up in 4 words why I don't care to go back on SGE again... "Chili Dog with Onions":sick:
;)