PDA

View Full Version : UGH...family

Not2Loud
06-03-2007, 04:51 PM
You know, I have read multiple posts about people that just don't get Disney. I had that experience this weekend.

My mother, step-dad, sister and her family came for a few days as well. I paid for their rooms at POR since it wasn't in their budget (they were staying at the beach in my grandmother's condo). They already had tickets from a few years back that they didn't use.

From the time they got there until they left (mostly my step-dad), they complained about almost everything. They ridiculed the "happiest place on earth" and simply made themselves miserable as well as those around them.

You know, if someone is nice enough to pay for your room and offers to pay for your food, etc, don't be so ungrateful and negative. I wanted to give them some magic to brighten their day, and all I heard was about how Disney cheats people for all the money they charge.

Geez....sorry about the vent...but I knew my friends here would understand.

Marilyn Michetti
06-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Cheezzzzzzzz......, how awful !!!

Everybody has annoying family members, but you won the lottery. You're angry, disappointed, and frustrated, but you did a nice thing. Hang on to that. There's a woman T.V. minister, who sums up life in one sentence. DO THE RIGHT THING ! You did, and they threw it back in your face, It's their problem. Think how awful it is to walk thru life with such a rotten attitude.

You sound like a terrific DIL with a caring, giving affect. Enjoy living in your skin, and next time go without them.:thumbsup:

We don't mind "venting" here.;)

5fromabove
06-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Man, how frustrating. I have a similiar Step-father. He joined us in '04 for a few days of our WDW Magical Vacation. :mickey: He and my mother stayed at the Ft. Wilderness campground with their camper to save $$. I swear he complained the whole time about "getting robbed by the Giant Rat" (Mickey). :-o I ignored it the best I could. However, in planning our '07 trip for this Fall when he made the "going to see the Giant Rat again?" comment...I made sure to let him know that he's welcome to not come ... wouldn't want him to have a miserable time ;) (or ruin ours). I did however invite my mom (and told her he could come IF he could keep his mouth shut). She'll be coming...and leaving him home! :thumbsup: Hey, I'm all for making it a family trip...IF everyone going is wanting to have fun. Spoil sports need not attend. :) Anyway, just wanted to share my similiar experience. I'm so sorry you had to deal with this. How sweet of you to help pay for things...hope they realize how lucky they are to have you some day. Here's to your next trip being heavenly.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Wow, if someone was nice enough to pay my way, I'd keep my negative comment to myself. They should consider themselves lucky that you were so nice! I wouldn't do that for them again. And I'd let them know why too.

Not2Loud
06-03-2007, 09:40 PM
I appreciate the comments. The trip has started as just DD3 (4th birthday trip) and myself. I was able to snag $35 RT airfares for us both on Spirit. So why not go?

Then about a month later the my mother and sister decide to go to the beach (they live in TX and I am in Atlanta); so I thought it would be fun to have everyone together at Disney as they don't get there often.

Oh well; although I did have a good time with my sister and her family after mother and step-dad left. So there were some redeeming factors to it.

Then again, when is going to WDW not redeeming? DD and I had a good time yesterday afternoon poking around POR and POFQ after they all left until the Magical Express. The gentleman (an older Italian fellow) at the baggage area at POR was great to her; he gave her stickers and buttons 2x!!!

TiggerRPh
06-03-2007, 11:26 PM
This why I don't travel with anyone but my immediate family.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-04-2007, 09:52 AM
This why I don't travel with anyone but my immediate family.

:thumbsup: I could not agree more. We have done WDW with extended family before. NEVER again. :secret:

I am glad you have a better time after they left. What a nice thing for you to do.

xipetotec
06-04-2007, 10:06 AM
You know, I have read multiple posts about people that just don't get Disney. I had that experience this weekend.

My mother, step-dad, sister and her family came for a few days as well. I paid for their rooms at POR since it wasn't in their budget (they were staying at the beach in my grandmother's condo). They already had tickets from a few years back that they didn't use.

From the time they got there until they left (mostly my step-dad), they complained about almost everything. They ridiculed the "happiest place on earth" and simply made themselves miserable as well as those around them.

You know, if someone is nice enough to pay for your room and offers to pay for your food, etc, don't be so ungrateful and negative. I wanted to give them some magic to brighten their day, and all I heard was about how Disney cheats people for all the money they charge.

WOW. OI have to say WOW!

Okay, I can understand if disney isn't for everyone. ( though I've been mostly lucky in converting naysayers once they've actually been ). *BUT* How RUDE that they take your generosity and spit in your face like that.

sheesh!

MickeyandTink
06-04-2007, 07:57 PM
WOW. OI have to say WOW!

Okay, I can understand if disney isn't for everyone. ( though I've been mostly lucky in converting naysayers once they've actually been ). *BUT* How RUDE that they take your generosity and spit in your face like that.

sheesh!

Remember, No good deed goes unpunished. :tiphat:

Not2Loud
06-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Remember, No good deed goes unpunished. :tiphat:

Thats right, so I must punish myself and go to WDW again soon, without them!!!

BashfulMom
06-05-2007, 01:37 PM

I went through something similar (to a degree) this past weekend. My DH & I invited his sister & her family to join us for our trip to WDW. We told them about our plans and gave them all of the information they would need to make their reservations. They just about jumped out of their skins when they found out how much the hotel and the tickets would cost. My DH & I suggested alternative plans and ultimately in the end they decided not to go. :confused: I feel very sorry for their kids because they knew about the trip and everything. :(

I have learnt my lesson, I will by very wary in introducing someone who "just doesn't get it" to :mickey:. He deserves better. :)

psychotekkie
06-05-2007, 11:46 PM
I'm sorry you had such a negative experience. When someone insults something you hold close to your heart, it is hard not to take it personally. And especially when you were helping them financially.

Try to let the hurt go... You are a very sweet person. Remember that the one who loses out the most is the one that lost the spark of imagination, youth, and fun that lets us see Disney for what it really is!

Dakota Rose
06-06-2007, 12:04 AM
There's not getting it and then there's plain rude. Kudos to you for your generosity and kindness. I would have likely told them where they could stick it. I get so mad when people badmouth my 'happy place'. Sorry you had to endure that.

Not2Loud
06-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Well here it is a few days later, and I have a last minute trip to Orlando for work. Darn that luck, guess I will have some time to myself in the parks this week!

Great thing about working for myself is I get to decide where I stay for business trips :mickey: