PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping on the floor...

TikiGoddess
06-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Hi all,

I was not sure where to put this question, so mods feel free to move it if you need to!

We're going to visit my in-laws. Their guest room only has a bed for my DH and I to sleep in. The girls will have to sleep on the floor. Last year we used 'ready beds' -- sleeping bags with air mattresses in them. Unfortunately, we found that the air mattresses were very noisy to sleep on and the kids kept sliding off of them. DH thinks we can just put a blanket under the kids and let them sleep like that ("That's what we did when we were kids"). I think we need to give them some sort of cushioning (it's a hard tile floor, for pete's sake!).

What options do we have besides air mattresses? Any ideas?

Thanks!
TikiG

Pirate Granny
06-02-2007, 10:34 PM
you could try the egg carton type foam pads...the sleeping bags won't slide off of them. They are a bit bulky but maybe your in-law can store them at their house for your return visits...

ENJOY your visit :pirate:

BronxTigger
06-02-2007, 10:59 PM
A couple years ago I found a cot that folds up and fits in a bag, similar to some of the lawn chairs. It was designed for camping.

Like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-2-GREEN-CAMPING-BEDS-Carry-Tote_W0QQitemZ190119248259QQihZ009QQcategoryZ87099 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

crazypoohbear
06-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Instead of sleeping bags, why not just buy twin sheets for the air mattress' and blankets.
We use the air mattress all the time without problems. Maybe the sleeping bag is just too slippery

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-03-2007, 09:44 PM
And possibly try a mattress pad too to keep the slipping to a minimum. If you aren't driving you can always ship stuff to them ahead of time.

Tinkermom
06-03-2007, 11:47 PM
We have always used the twin sized Aero beds for our kids. A trick I tried when my DD had a hard time staying on the bed was to deflate it a bit. When it is pumped up hard it was easy for her to slip off since she was small. Once we deflated it some it cushioned her more and she did not slip off.:thumbsup:

I agree they need more than blankets if it is tiled floor.

MsMin
06-04-2007, 11:27 AM
When we moved in this house in 04 we were so excited we spent the first 3 days on the floor b/c we wanted to start on things and the movers weren't available for 3 days. The first day on the hardwood floor was easy after that the floor seemed to get harder each night :blush:(as the excitement goes down. We used sleeping bags but ended up putting pillows under them for a little more fluff.... and of course the pillows would slide on the floor. I agree that working on the traction should help b/c the tile is too hard..

BrerGnat
06-04-2007, 10:58 PM
How old are your kids?

They make very small aerobeds for young kids, and they have raised sides and a soft suede surface, so they don't slip OR make noise, and your kid won't fall out. They are for kids 2 and up and go to 150 pounds. You would need one for each kid.

You can look at it here:

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6720&parentCategoryId=85193&categoryId=85250&subCategoryId=86246

January-2007
06-05-2007, 08:27 AM
you could try the egg carton type foam pads...

That's what I used to sleep on at my grandparents house. They just put sheets and a blanket on it and off to sleep I went. Better than the floor.

Tinkerfreak
06-05-2007, 08:57 AM
You did not say how many nights you will be staying but anyhow even one night sleeping on a cold tile floor is too much. I like the egg carton foam idea. We bought a sleep mat from L.L. Bean that you just open the valve and it inflates intself. The kids use it on our carpeted floor and have never complained but I'm not sure how it would work on tile. To deflate it you just squish all the air out of it and close the valve. It rolls all up like a sleeping bag and has handles on it. It also has a pillow section at the top that inflates. I would suggest checking in the camping section for this sort of thing. They have alot of new stuff out that is designed for sleeping on the hard ground and to be very portable.