PDA

View Full Version : Who has gone Underground at Magic Kingdom?

Alpha Jeanie
06-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Have any of you gone underground at the Magic Kingdom to see what the "city" under the Kingdom is like. Give details please!!

I was amazed to learn that the Magic Kingdom sits 14 feet about ground level and that there is a whole "city" below where all the Cast Members report to work, dress, eat and enter into their lands through.

I know that there is a tour you can take of the Magic Kingdom that includes a peek into the underground but I have not had a chance to take the tour yet. I would love to see it!!

disneyboy98
06-02-2007, 07:54 PM
The tour you are talking about is the "Keys to the Kindom" tour. We were on it two years ago and it was incredible.

You (and about 10-15 others) have your own "private" tour guide that takes you all around the MK and discusses how the MK is able to make the magic happen. The show you many little things that you may not notice if you were just walking around. For example, why does the ladies that work outside of the shops in Liberty Square have shorter dresses than the ones that work inside the shops? What is the significance of having certain stores on the right side of Main Street and the others on the left? These questions, plus countless others, are answered on this tour.

The other highlight is being able to visit some of the attractions during the course of the tour. On ours, we visited POTC and The Haunted Mansion. The nice thing about this tour is that the guide does not need to yell details out to you and disturb the ride for others because you are equipped with wireless ear pieces that go around your ear and the guide has a wireless mic that feeds into your ear pieces.

Closer to the end of the tour is when the "magic" takes a dramatic turn. For us, we headed to the back part of the emporium and were informed by the guide that "we are heading outside of the on stage activity." He also warned us that we are now entering the CM's side of the MK and that we may occassionaly hear and see some "nonDisney" stuff. I won't spoil it for you on here, but the backside of the MK is nothing like the front. The CM's we encountered on the backside of the MK were very nice and told us some details about what happens backstage to get the parades, attractions, and characters ready for each day.

After awhile we did head down to the MK basement and saw all of the inner workings down there. It was very very very cool. Technically, it is a series of tunnels that lead all over the MK so that food, merchandise, and CM's can get where they are going without throwing the theming off above. For example, seeing a CM dressed in their Frontierland outfit walking through Tomorrowland would be a big no no. We also saw all fo the tubes (like a big vaccum) that takes all of the trash and reclying to the back of the park to be sorted.

After that we headed back up and the tour was over. Overall, the tour lasted up to five hours and included lunch at the Columbia Harbour house (which was really good). The one thing that was really neat was that our tour guide gave us a bit of discretion when the tour was over. He told us that, if we would, to try and limit what we saw today on the tour when we were younger children. There was some stuff that we did see backstage that would ruin it for some children and so he asked us to make sure that we were sensitive to that fact.

Hopefully that gives you an overview of what the "Keys to the Kingdom" tour is all about.

I will say this, some people have said that this type of tour would "ruin" the magic for them because they would see what happens backstage. For me (who has been to WDW about 23 times in his life) it only increased my appreciation for the CM's and all of the rest of the Disney cast that works behind the scenes to make sure that we, the guest, have the most magical time possible.

I hope to go on this tour again in a future visit.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thu mbsup:

SingingLights
06-02-2007, 11:45 PM
We took the "Backstage Magic Tour". :thumbsup: It is an all day tour and includes lunch, starting in Epcot, then to MGM where you have lunch at Mama Melrose, and ending at MK. We happen to have the lady who had writen the tour as our tour guide and she was wonderful. We even got to see her son perform in the parade at the MK.

At Epcot, we got to see the workings of the American Adventure at the USA pavilon. Then to a cast member area that included some human resource areas, costuming, and eating area. We then went behind the scenes at Body Wars and saw the workings from below the ride.

After we left Epcot we made a stop at the WDW floral design center. This is where all the flower for resturants, hotels, wedding and any special orders are produced on a daily schedule. We were there during Christmas and got to see special order Christmas trees for guest rooms being created, can you say BEAUTIFUL!!

Then on to MGM, where we saw the costume design center. All stages of costumes were in progress from drawing to sewing on buttons. It was amazing and costumes for all disney parks all over the world are done on property at MGM. Neat. We had lunch at Mama Melrose.

We went to the storage facilty for all the Christmas decorations. We got to wonder around in this huge warehouse guide by the director of Christams decor. We were told how many lights, ornaments and trees are use at WDW.

Then to MK. We had the best seats for the afternoon parade I have ever had and were told how the music stays in-sinc along the route, what the requirements are to become a cast performer. Good stuff. Atfer the parade we walked through this very unassuming gate and into this very comercial looking door, down a staircase you might find in a parking garage and through another commerical door and there we stood 14 feet below Main Street USA. Cast members, such as Cinderella and Prince Charming, were on there way from one point to another. Other service related cast members were riding in special golf type carts taking food from the cooking area to Quick Service eateries. All above our heads were plumbing and electrical services. We got to see a break room for the cast members and talked to lots of people employed by Disney.

The tour was the best $200 I have ever spent at WDW. It is a must for those who Disney and dream of wearing a cast member costume. If you love the magic and have a childlike heart and don't want to know everything, DON'T GO. We have friend who talked to some of the cast members about the tour and they called it, "Ruin the Magic Tour". I hope this answered some of your questions but please ask for more information and I will try to remember more details.:blush:

wilshade
06-03-2007, 07:28 AM
I've taken most of the tours offered by WDW and the above posters are very accurate in their accounting of 2 of the most popular.

Last year, I booked the Magic Your Way "Premium" Package. It included your meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day) and most the tours except for Backstage Magic. Might be worth checking into.

Also, there is one tour not yet mentioned that is very informative and captivating. It's the "The Magic Behind Our Steam Trains" Tour.

You have to get up very early since the tour starts at 7am. But, it is completely worthwhile.

The tour was designed by the guys who work with the WDW steam locomotives. You will see the Roundhouse and the work areas. You'll also get a glimpse of the monorail behind the scenes as its facilities are in the roundhouse as well. Ever see the monorail "tow truck" out on the rail? You'll see it here. Very strange looking contraption.

Taking a peek behind the scenes didnt spoil the magic for me. It enhanced it.

TheRustyScupper
06-03-2007, 11:12 AM
1) We have taken almost every tour at WDW.
2) Have enjoyed them all.
3) We purposely excluded "Keys".
4) I don't want to know/see the back scenes.
5) For me, it would hurt the magic.
6) However, I know many who loved the tour.

NOTE: I didn't even go into the utilidoors to get to the cafeteria. There are things I just didn't want to know. I have seen or worked in the backstage at every other park and most resorts, but to me MK holds a special place and I did not want to diminish that.

jefmblrd
06-03-2007, 11:57 AM
We have done both the Keys and the Backstage Magic tours and absolutely loved them both. The above posts really go into detail about both of them, so there is no need to repeat. Suffice it to say that going backstage was the best part of both of them. I highly recommend both tours.

For me, the tours didn't take away any of the magic, but I can understand how people feel that way.

Give them a shot on your next visit to WDW but remember to book them in advance.

dolphinmickey9170
06-03-2007, 12:52 PM
We did the Keys to the Kingdom tour last year. I didn't ruin my magic at all. We met several firefighters/paramedics underground (it was nice to know that help is only a heartbeat away) and it was really cool to see how things looked, but I just let go of that and continued my fun in the MK. It actually made it more magical for me when I heard some of the info they give. Claudia, our tour guide, was the best. She made this tour very magical. If you have the time and the funds, I highly recommend it!! If you get her for a tourguide, say hello for me.;)

Have a great time.

68 days til August trip
194 days til December trip

Shugoondola
06-03-2007, 10:08 PM
I went on the Keys to the Kingdom tour a couple of years ago and loved it. It was very interesting going into the Utilidors.

I recommend this tour. :thumbsup:

:mickey:

TiggerRPh
06-03-2007, 10:31 PM
I went on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour last May...lots of fun. It didn't ruin any magic for me.

Lucyrella
06-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Back in 1977 my friends family took me to Florida with them at Christmas. We visited Walt Disney World on Christmas Day. We were 15 years old and had met 2 cast members that were close to our age, a little older. They spoiled us rotten, we got to ride the rides, and they took us underground Disney, where I was totally amazed. The one thing I remember was the costume room, it was unbelievable. This was 30 years ago, it would be interesting to see what it is like now, or if it is the same as I remember it. Non the less, it was a visit of a lifetime.

FormerCastMember
06-04-2007, 01:22 AM
haha i love reading all the people talking about the "tunnels" and their experiences on tours and other such adventures...but if i do say so myself there is nothing like being a cast member and being able to take those tunnels ALL OVER the park day in and day out...

iceicebritney
06-12-2007, 02:18 PM
alpha, you should definetly take the Keys to The Kingdom tour - its a great tour, and honeslty the best one we've done so far. (we are segway-ing in two wks on our trip - so i may change my mind then!)

its great to see the underground area of the MK because im always fasinated by how organized and professional disney is about everything - who would've thought to put all of that stuff underground in an amuzement park so that the guests dont have to see garbage transportation, fiberoptics cables, characters out of costume - etc. we've been to other theme parks, and things just arent the same. The Keys tour really puts into perspective how much above the rest disney is.

when i was a kid i used to do the juniors tour programs that were offered where they took us to all the backstage areas every day, and also to the animation studios to make our own cartoons, and to the living seas to spend the nite in the park - ahh the good old days:mickey: and since they stopped doing those things in the late 90's we really were looking for a tour that would satisfy our interest, and keys does that.

i've heard bad reviews of the tour from others - but i really think it all depends on your tour guide.

Figgyluv03
06-13-2007, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't call it a city, but it's a bunch of tunnels. I use to work in DW back in 2001 and my roommate worked in MK so I was always go down there with her. Yes, there is a place for the CMs to eat, and costuming is down there. There are also many offices down there as well. I've gotten lost a couple of times and ended up until the Lion King which I believe is now Philharmagic. It's great when the park is crowded and you need to get from one side to the other. There's also an elevator that is right inside the castle the the charactors use right around showtime so no one sees them coming up.

If you lookout side the Pinoccio's CS you can see the entrance to the tunnels. That's where the CM bus with drop you off from the CM parking lot. It's actually the first floor of MK and the actual park is the 2nd floor since you can't have a basement that big in Florida.

2Epcot
06-13-2007, 01:57 PM
We took the "Backstage Magic Tour". :thumbsup: The tour was the best $200 I have ever spent at WDW.

I would agree. Took the tour many years ago, and would love to take it again one day.