PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on a resort

ttccluvsdis
06-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Hi, My family (dh, DD's 8 and 3 and myself) will be in disney in August. We orginially planed to go to Vero Beach for a week. Then decided to go to Disney for a few days, then go to the beach. I originally wanted 3 nights in disney, and I have a Boardwalk view studio for the 3 nights. I have never stayed there, and really want to. But if we do that, our MK day is a Saturday, and I don't want to be in the MK on Sat. If I add an extra day, the only resort with avaialability is SSR. This would allow me to have my MK day on Monday.
I am stuck. Do I stay at the resort of my choice and deal with the crowded MK, or go to SSR for the extra night?
We have never been to disney in August so I have no idea what to expect for crowds. Can anyone give me an idea about crowds, and if you loved or hated SSR. We are going to be there the first week of Aug.
Thanks,

CandleontheWater
06-02-2007, 10:37 AM
When are you going in August? If you're going towards the end of August the crowds aren't too bad. The first 2 weeks can be crazy but by the third week, most people go home to get thier kids ready for school and the crowds diminsh. I was also wondering why you couldn't change your MK day to a friday or Sunday if you are going to be there for 3 days? Is it because of ADRs?

ttccluvsdis
06-02-2007, 02:14 PM
we are going to be at WDW 8-3 through 8-6. We are flying in on Friday, so we don't want to go to a park that day. Is the MK much busier on Sat. then Sun?
I think I may just switch Epcot to Sat. and Magic to Sunday.

Traci

goofy4mickey
06-02-2007, 09:59 PM
I've always thought that in general, MK is less busy on Saturday than Sunday - I've read that it's because people are just arriving on Sat. and don't want to use a ticket for part of a day. (maybe I'm wrong? but we've never shied away from MK on a Saturday.)

Kim

Maleficent's Dad
06-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Years ago, Sunday mornings at the MK were less crowded; nowadays, with attendance up and EMH mornings (usually MK Sunday morning) it gets pretty crowded. I don't think you'll notice a significant difference in crowds on the two days. Goofy4Mickey might be right about Saturdays being less crowded... I don't think the MK is ever not crowded!!! ;)

Personally, I wouldn't change resorts as I love the BW. Could you add the 4 day (night?) at SSR and just switch resorts? Not always convenient, but it does give you that extra day! :mickey:

drosenbe
06-06-2007, 04:23 PM
If you do go to MK (or any park) on a crowded day, the 3 most importants tips to having an enjoyable day are

arrive early
arrive early
have a plan

I don't know if MK will have EMH on sat, but plan on arriving at least 45 minutes before opening. We usually take the bus to the MK so that we don't have to deal with the monorail or boat.
We have used the Unofficial Guide to WDW for years and it is very effective. They have step by step plans which save HOURS!! of time standing in line.
There are others, but I can't speak to them.

have fun

MarkC
06-06-2007, 04:53 PM
We were there last year during the 1st week of August. It really isn't that bad. Make sure you go to the parks right at opening and use fastpass when available. Take breaks to swim in the afternoon and then go back in the evening. I wouldn't worry about which day you go, although there are sites that can give you some specific info if needed. Good luck.