PDA

View Full Version : Input please: travelling with a multi-needs group

wdw_bound
06-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Here's the cast:
Me (Disney-aholic)
DH (VERY picky eater, Christmas lights nut)
DD8 (uses a special needs stroller as she tires, almost a bigger Disney freak than her mom)
DS2 (will want to walk, but will be put in a stroller from time to time)
MIL (may need a scooter, collects Santas, esp. from other countries)
FIL (a fit 75, but needs a little more time to get around)
DD invited the ILs shortly after our last trip (they've never gone), and MIL said yes, getting DD all kinds of excited. Since then, they have expressed concern about not being able to "keep up" and "spoiling the trip." I've assured them that they won't spoil anything, that we don't have to be joined at the hip for the entire trip. I'm looking forward to this trip as an opportunity for my kids to make some great memories with their grandparents.

We are have the DDP, parkhoppers and are staying at WL in mid December.

Please take a look at the plan below and let me know what you think - especially if you have experience with trips including multigenerations, extended family, or any of the other factors listed above :confused:

Sunday - arrive after a 6-hour drive. Making ADR at WCC for around 5. Possibly go to MGM (EMH) for Osborne Lights (may also see if we can get into Fantasmic, but if not, ok). Another option is to catch the boat to CR and resort hop along the monorail to see the decorations.

Monday - AK in the morning. Lunch at Flame Tree (no more Tusker House :( ) and then back to WL. Rest in the afternoon. After a rest, go to Epcot. Early (4:30) dinner at LeCellier, possible CP for ILs (and maybe DD - no way can I keep DS behaving for that long). Also thinking of trying to fit in the Epcot tree lighting - we've done it before and enjoyed it. May take DS there while others are at CP. Back to WL. DD and I may "sneak out" :thedolls: to MK for EMH depending on how we feel :secret:

Tuesday - Epcot for AMEMH. Do a few Holidays around the world when WS opens, then back to WL for lunch and a rest. Early ADR at LTT (hopefully) for MVMCP. I'm torn about getting tix for the ILs - don't know if they'd want to stay late.

Wednesday - sleep in. Go to Boardwalk to resort hop and grab lunch (any CS suggestions?) before heading to MGM to see the parade (never done this). Possibly Osborne Lights and Fantasmic. Maybe Mama Melrose, but other ADR (not necessarily MGM)suggestions welcome (NOT doing H&V again though :ack:)

Thursday - MK AMEMH, Late breakfast ADR at CP. Rest at WL before heading to DTD for some shopping

Friday - Epcot for remaining Holiday around the World countries and another turn or two on Soarin' :cloud9: Supper ADR at either Biergarten, or after a rest at WL, Ohana. DD and I are planning our traditional Girls Night Out at Epcot EMH

Saturday - going home day. We typically head to DTD for some last minute shopping and an early lunch before heading out, but we are open to suggestions.

I get to make ADRs in about a week, and I know some of them will be tough to get (LTT, Le Cellier), so I want to make them asap, but still am trying to keep things as flexible as possible. I think I've left enough rest time built in, but appreciate your input.

I'm really bummed that the above plan doesn't include OHana, my favorite, but unless one of you can figure out how to make it work without giving up WCC (DH's choice), I think I'm going to have to give it a miss this trip.

Tinkerbellfan
06-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Hello,

It sounds like a great plan - I like that you have planned for some down time - we always plans for naps or mid-day breaks. On Wednesday, I recommend Beaches & Cream at the Beach Club for your CS. While it isn't a true CS, it is a very inexpensive sit-down 5o diner like restaurant. It has the best burgers, hotdogs and sundaes. We are planning to eat there the day we go "Epcot resort" Christmas decorating touring!

We staying at the WL in early December - I can't wait. Is it time yet?

BronxTigger
06-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Sounds like a good plan. I second the idea for Beaches & Cream. There is a limited walk up CS at Beaches & Cream if the sit-down wait time is excessive (which it can occasionally be). Other options include going into Epcot WS since you will be nearby.

Cinderelley
06-02-2007, 11:42 AM
My only thoughts are -
1) After a 6 hour drive, some in the party may not be up to hitting a park.
2) You can squeeze O'hana's in before you go shopping at DTD on your MK day. :D

MsMin
06-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Sunday - arrive after a 6-hour drive. Making ADR at WCC for around 5. Possibly go to MGM (EMH) for Osborne Lights (may also see if we can get into Fantasmic, but if not, ok). Another option is to catch the boat to CR and resort hop along the monorail to see the decorations.
Monday - AK in the morning. Lunch at Flame Tree (no more Tusker House :( ) and then back to WL. Rest in the afternoon. After a rest, go to Epcot. Early (4:30) dinner at LeCellier, possible CP for ILs (and maybe DD - no way can I keep DS behaving for that long). Also thinking of trying to fit in the Epcot tree lighting - we've done it before and enjoyed it. May take DS there while others are at CP. Back to WL. DD and I may "sneak out" :thedolls: to MK for EMH depending on how we feel :secret:
Tuesday - Epcot for AMEMH. Do a few Holidays around the world when WS opens, then back to WL for lunch and a rest. Early ADR at LTT (hopefully) for MVMCP. I'm torn about getting tix for the ILs - don't know if they'd want to stay late.
Wednesday - sleep in. Go to Boardwalk to resort hop and grab lunch (any CS suggestions?) before heading to MGM to see the parade (never done this). Possibly Osborne Lights and Fantasmic. Maybe Mama Melrose, but other ADR (not necessarily MGM)suggestions welcome (NOT doing H&V again though :ack:)
Thursday - MK AMEMH, Late breakfast ADR at CP. Rest at WL before heading to DTD for some shopping
Friday - Epcot for remaining Holiday around the World countries and another turn or two on Soarin' :cloud9: Supper ADR at either Biergarten, or after a rest at WL, Ohana. DD and I are planning our traditional Girls Night Out at Epcot EMH
Saturday - going home day. We typically head to DTD for some last minute shopping and an early lunch before heading out, but we are open to suggestions.
I get to make ADRs in about a week, and I know some of them will be tough to get (LTT, Le Cellier), so I want to make them asap, but still am trying to keep things as flexible as possible. I think I've left enough rest time built in, but appreciate your input.
I'm really bummed that the above plan doesn't include OHana, my favorite, but unless one of you can figure out how to make it work without giving up WCC (DH's choice), I think I'm going to have to give it a miss this trip.
WE traveled last Dec. with my parents, my dad has very limited mobility and my mom can walk but tired very easily. They are both mid 70's. OUr's too was multi-generational but w/ older my kids(& oppositional niece) My parents said the same thing, afraid they wouldn't be able to keep up but really wanted to go. I rented ECV's from outside the park for both of them. Your FIL may do well pushing a stroller as it can work like a walker and gives them something to lean on from time to time. I would strongly recommend at least w/c or ECV b/c they probably don't know how much walking is involved and you want them to make it through the week. ECV may be best b/c it sounds like you already have enough strollers to push. My mom can make it through a local shopping mall but just can't make it through WDW all day and night (a simple measure to compare to)
We were there last Dec. and did Spoodles @ 5 and really cut it close for Fantasmic (we decided not to go) they were going in when we got there. It may be a little tight timing wise unless there is EMH's that night and have a second show, we were a little closer than you will be.
Also, for Osborne, last year they started the moving lights and the CM told us that while the lights are on at closing they no longer move so make sure you see Osborne before the lights stop moving.
Day 2-- I made my reservations the very 1st day I could @ 6:45a.m. (central zone) and the earliest I could get LeCellier was 7pm. My dad is diabetic and likes to eat at 5. Just a heads up b/c you might need to be a little flexible there.
Be prepared when you call;)
Also I didn't get tix for my parents for MVMCP last year and they were glad I didn't. They were tired as it was on Thurs. and we had been there since Sat. They may enjoy a free night to explore on their own.
Last, I love DTD on my way out of town. We do it whenever possible. Esp. with ppl who have never been it's a chance to grab a few more things or something you missed at a place and haven't gone back to get.
I told my parents, we've gone many times but we wanted to share the time with them and were not worried if we had to go a little slower. Have a wonderful time. Your plan sounds ideal.

AuntDJ
06-02-2007, 01:26 PM
We went in March with my parents. They are 60, but my father has an artificial leg so it is difficult to walk long distances. My mother just had knee replacement, so in MArch it was also difficult for her over time. Also with us a 5; 8; 9 year old.

Soooo, we rented an ECV off site..I highly recommend this as it is a far distance from the buses to the front of the park. The ECV was waiting at the baggage claim and we had it the whole time. My father was able to keep up with us all day! It was great....For my mother, she didn't "think" she would need an ECV the whole time, so we rented one most of the days from the park. This also worked well.

I called POFQ and they recommended a company for me to rent from: Walker Mobility.

We also scheduled breaks, for naps or swim time just to relax, I think this works super well!

Enjoy!

Donna

wdw_bound
06-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks for your help:thumbsup:

We've decided not to get the ILs MVMCP tix, at least for the time being. I'm betting on them not being sold out any time soon in case we change our minds, but I don't think we will.

As for MIL and a scooter - she doesn't use one at home, but can't go for any kind of distance, either. She has had a couple of TIAs that seem to have thrown her balance out of whack, has mild fibromyalgia and a general stamina issue. I'm really not sure if she'll be comfortable using a scooter - she is very self conscious and if she were to run into someone/something, her nerves would be shot. Would it be possible to get one at our first park and see how she does and then call a vendor to rent one for our length of stay? Does anyone know how far in advance they need to be ordered? If we needed to get her a wheelchair instead, we could, but as MsMin pointed out, we already have two strollers to push.

We'll have two rooms at WL - how much space do scooters take up?

Letting FIL push DDs special needs stroller is a great idea. It is an oversize stroller and very sturdy, so it may well help him.

I really appreciate your help!

MsMin
06-03-2007, 11:27 PM
We kept the 2 scooters in the hall and it was no problem there was even a plug to charge them every night.
I understand the MIL being apprehensive, I think my mom is the queen of worry. She wouldn't ride the ECV up the ramp to the monorail b/c she was afraid it was too steep and she would roll back or flip over:blush: Then she feared the crack btwn the ramp and monorail was too big and that she might fall in :jaw: I tried to convince here that the ECV was bigger than a person and you don't see ppl falling btwn the cracks but no sale...
I was surprised how well she managed, she didn't hit anyone, though she feared it b/c ppl don't realize they don't have break like a car. She was very very glad she got one b/c she didn't want to be left behind. I rented the 2 from scootarama (something like that) it was only 25 per day and they were great. They have a website and can give you the details or answer any of your questions, I think it takes 24 hrs notice to get a scooter. The problem with renting from the park is they run out and if you want to change parks there may no be any available.

Cinderelley
06-05-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm really not sure if she'll be comfortable using a scooter - she is very self conscious and if she were to run into someone/something, her nerves would be shot. Would it be possible to get one at our first park and see how she does and then call a vendor to rent one for our length of stay? Does anyone know how far in advance they need to be ordered?

I'm very self-conscious about it too, but after walking around WDW for a while, I learn very quickly to get over it. I go through it ever trip. I tell myself - I'll take it slow and then I'll be alright. Then half way through the day DH is running back to the park entrance to see if one is available. (I guess I'm a slow learner :blush:) If your MIL doesn't want the scooter, but will use the wheelchair, is it possible for one of the kids to sit on her lap? That way you won't have to push two strollers.

Tick-Tock
06-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Get the ECVs! It is very hard to push a wheelchair around WDW. You will be exhausted.

If your ILs are apprehensive, take them (or have them go) to a store that sells or rents ECVs to try one out before the trip.

Be aware, though, that ECVs are difficult to manuever through crowds. We ended up having a point person just ahead of our ECV-riding grandparents to help them get through crowds.

Hayden's Dad
06-05-2007, 04:32 PM
DD8 (uses a special needs stroller as she tires, almost a bigger Disney freak than her mom)
One thing I would suggest is that for the special needs stroller you may want to go to guest relations and get the card that lets the CM's and bus drivers know that is what it is. My son uses one and it looks alot like a stroller, but does not fold up and needs to be strapped down like a wheelchair. Plus with that card it can help you bypass some of the lines if your DD8 can't wait for very long. The services at Disney I found were fantastic, but you have to take advantage of them.

As far as the ECV get them. We had one in our group that was to stubbor to rent one and by the third day she was miserable. We finally talked her into renting one and she had a much better time afterwards.

I hope you and your family will have a wonderful time.

January-2007
06-05-2007, 09:19 PM
:pixie: Here's to you and yours having a great trip. You've gotten some great advice here, I can't really add anything except to always allow way more time for things like transportation than you think you will need, then you will be less likely to be looking at your watch instead of enjoying what is around you. Have a great trip and happy planning!

offwego
06-06-2007, 01:49 PM
For your CS the Backlot Express at MGM (I know you said boardwalk, but it is where your headed so may still work) has lots of seating, good sandwhiches and kids offerings. You mentioned being on the DDP and don't forget some (like Cosmic Ray's combo) CS options can be shared between two people to strech your CS credits. (DH and I often share and purchase and extra side salad and find with the ice cream snack later we are plenty full!)