PDA

View Full Version : Year of 100 Questions: #46

King Triton
06-02-2007, 07:02 AM
A much broader question today...Disney-MGM Studios or Animal Kingdom?

Y100Q47 will be in Accommodations, most likely on Monday.

disneyfan369
06-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Definitely AK. I love the animals, and the only interesting things MGM has are RnR Coaster and ToT.

KAT1811
06-02-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm not a huge Animal Kingdom fan. In my opinion it is a glorified zoo. I know tons of people love it but not my family.

We really enjoy MGM Studios. Tower of Terror, Lights & Cars, Rockin' Roller Coaster are some of our favorites.

k_reile
06-02-2007, 11:23 AM
i choose AK because I have never been there and I am most excited about going there during my trip this Sept.

GrmGrninGost
06-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Definitely Disney-MGM Studios!:mickey: I love this place! The Great Movie Ride is awesome! Rock-n-Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Star Tours,Fantasmic,Beauty and the Beast, and Muppets 3-D are great!!:thumbsup: And my favorite thing there? It's got to be all the characters you can meet! How cool! Also, I love the whole atmosphere of the place.

Mickey91
06-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Has to be MGM. I love the atmosphere of the golden days of Hollywood! The character meet and greets are awesome and the Great Movie Ride and Muppet Vision 3-D can't be beat!!:mickey:

sleepingbooty
06-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Wow, its neck and neck! But I guess thats about how I feel about it. Its a toss up. I like them both for different reasons.

EvilQueen2006
06-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Everest, the Safari, Lion King show, Kali, and the general atmosphere of Animal Kingdom give it an edge over MGM. Although RNRC is one of my favs, and Fantasmic is my favorite nighttime show.

Pastcastmemberdaughter
06-02-2007, 11:59 AM
MGM has always been one of my favorites! :mickey:

MsMin
06-02-2007, 12:09 PM
My first reaction was AK yet a few years ago I would have said MGM. I've tired of MGM:blush: I like RnR and ToT but that's about it. AK is a place I can just look at the scenery and enjoy and EE :clappy: I love dinoland b/c it reminds me of the amusement park we had as a kid (Ponchartrain Beach, N.O.) I love the exotic feel to the park.

CandleontheWater
06-02-2007, 12:56 PM
I love AK much, much more than MGM. I think MGM has lost its vision and many of the rides have lost thier luster. I love AK because I feel like its a different experience every time, you never know what animals you are going to see and what will pop up next. I also really love EE! AK is slowing beating out EPCOT as my favorite park!

Spaceship Tigger
06-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Had to go with MGM, even though it's got problems in some areas. ToT, RNRC, TGMR, Fantasmic, and several of the shows are combined better than what AK has to offer. Plus the CS and TS options are both far better. At AK, only EE, the Safari, and maybe Dinosaur hold much interest for us.

KAJUNKING
06-02-2007, 01:15 PM
i really like ak but mgm just has a lot more to do, so i had to go with mgm :mickey:

Jared
06-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Animal Kingdom, no question. None of my must-see attractions are at the Disney-MGM Studios. If not for Fantasmic!, I would have no problem skipping the park altogether.

BigRedDad
06-02-2007, 02:21 PM
I went MGM for RnR and ToT. There are other fun attractions too. AK has the animals, EE, and KRR. It was a tough choice because both are only half-day parks.

septembergirl
06-02-2007, 02:53 PM
We will be visiting AK for the first time this year but I can't imagine choosing it over MGM. We love MV3D, IJ and RnR. Some enjoyed ToT but some were tramatized :blush:. I also really enjoy the GMR and just the atmosphere in general at MGM. I can't wait to see AK although DH wants to skip it again!

BethieTink
06-02-2007, 03:21 PM
No question for us, AK all the way!! We are totally and completely underwhelmed by MGM. DH won't ride RnRC (I rode it once and that was enough) and neither one of us will ride ToT. GMR is okay, but only something I need to do every 3rd or 4th trip. AK, on the other hand, we can't get enough of.

I was down at WDW in early May and my friend and I went to MGM one morning just to shop, get character pics and have lunch at 50s PTC. We did do Muppets and GMR only because they were right there with no wait. DH and I plan on doing the same thing in October. If it wasn't for a desire to have lunch at 50s and hopefully get another photo with Daisy Duck (this time with DH), we would skip it all together. We will probably only give it the morning and head out right after lunch, as it is.

wilshade
06-02-2007, 03:53 PM
I voted for MGM, though I hope it gets a much needed makeover very soon. I just like being in that park more than AK. Here's hopin' the powers that be start paying some attention to the Studios.

DNS
06-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Opposite ends for me. We love AK and are not fans of MGM, so this was very easy.

WDWfanatic742
06-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Definately Animal Kingdom over MGM (Pixar) Studios anyday. Last visit to MGM was in 2005 and that was to go see Light's Motor's Action. Animal Kingdom is getting better and better while MGM hasn't done much to bring up it's status in years. Hopefully Toy Story Mania turns out good to maybe make another trip to the park.

krorx
06-02-2007, 05:29 PM
No contest in my opinion. AK is beautiful with a nice balance of rides vs. shows and animals.

CU Tiger
06-02-2007, 05:42 PM
I like AK, but it is still a ½ to ¾ day park to us. MGM is better since it has more rides and shows, but not as good as MK or Epcot for the bang for the buck. :mickey:

dtootsie42
06-02-2007, 06:47 PM
MGM for sure. My family has never been crazy about Animal Kingdom and we find more to do at MGM.

PirateLover
06-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Wow I'm surprised that I just made it dead even. MGM needs a lot of help but no matter how hard I try I just can't have a good time for more than 3 hours or so in AK. Maybe I'm just a victim of circumstances but my worst experiences at WDW have been at AK. :(

LIGHTNING MC-DAD
06-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Definitely Disney-MGM Studios!:mickey: I love this place! The Great Movie Ride is awesome! Rock-n-Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Star Tours,Fantasmic,Beauty and the Beast, and Muppets 3-D are great!!:thumbsup: And my favorite thing there? It's got to be all the characters you can meet! How cool! Also, I love the whole atmosphere of the place.

Ditto

WDWfeelslikehome
06-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Had to vote AK, for some reason DW and I both feel like MGM is cut rate WDW. Don't know if it's the changes they've made removing artisits and parts of the studio. But to us the magic level is MUCH lower at MGM than the other 3 parks. We still go to MGM every trip, but it's only to check off a small list of attractions/shows, then we scadattle. AK has more that we MUST see (although it is still not enough to warrant a full day for us). THat just leaves us more time for our true loves of MK and EP. Thanks for thinking of us Imagineers!:thumbsup::mickey:

2Epcot
06-02-2007, 08:27 PM
I enjoy MGM. I like Tower of Terror, The Great Movie Ride, and Fantasmic. Animal Kingdom is more enjoyable for me. I like the shows, Everest, and the Safari. Animal Kingdom got my vote.

lindique
06-02-2007, 08:40 PM
If you had asked me this question last year, I would have said the Studios. However, with the recent improvements to the Animal Kingdom and the addition of Finding Nemo, my vote now goes to AK!

dolphinmickey9170
06-02-2007, 08:49 PM
I voted AK because there just isn't enough at MGM that interests me, other than ToT and RnRC. My Two fav rides!!

Tynkerbelle
06-02-2007, 09:18 PM
I voted for MGM - ToT, RnRC and Fantasmic, I also like the food choices. And I love the lights at Christmas!

BritCody
06-03-2007, 08:57 AM
MGM for me. ToT, RnR, Great Movie Ride, Muppets 3-D, Fantasmic and Star Tours. Plus you have the factor that the AK's park hours are shorter than the other parks

darthmacho
06-03-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm a little later than usual on this question, but I'm glad i didn't miss it.

Easy answer: Animal Kingdom!

Magic Smiles
06-03-2007, 10:11 AM
We love things about every park, but I could ride the Safari many times every day. Every trip on the safari is a new adventure with new animal sighting every time. I could spend hours just sitting or standing watching the birds and the monkeys enjoying themselves. Love everything about Animal Kingdom!

LandFan
06-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Animal Kingdom - definitely. DH and I only go to MGM to ride RNRC and TOT. Occasionally we go to muppets and star tours but that's it. We could totally skip it and not notice.

Polynesian Dweller
06-03-2007, 07:36 PM
That took a lot of thinking. Both have become half day parks for us. But with the addition of Everest AK gets the slight nod.

tinksmom02
06-03-2007, 08:26 PM
I chose MGM but mostly because I haven't spent that much time at AK (hoping to remedy that this fall and give AK a chance!). For me, the abundance of character interactions gave MGM an edge. DD loves Playhouse Disney and Muppets 3D. I don't think she has any faves at AK--yet.

SBETigg
06-03-2007, 08:48 PM
We love the Animal Kingdom. It's more and more of a favorite park, and it has now officially become a park to visit twice per vacation instead of just a half day park. On the flip side, we're reducing our time at MGM-Disney Studios. There just isn't much to hold our interest at MGM-Disney Studios anymore, comparitively.

Figment78
06-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Definitely MGM! It's just my personal preference but I love all the attractions at MGM - we don't skip any of them each time we go! On the other hand, I'm not a huge fan of much of AK so we typically only spend a 1/2 day there. But that's just my interests. Some people love AK. I'm glad they are both there!

Guya103
06-03-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm not a huge Animal Kingdom fan. In my opinion it is a glorified zoo. I know tons of people love it but not my family.

We really enjoy MGM Studios. Tower of Terror, Lights & Cars, Rockin' Roller Coaster are some of our favorites.

Our family could not agree more. We find the same thing with AK. There is just not enough to do and takes barely 1/2 day to do if that. We go for 10 days every year and this July, we have decided not to even bother with it.

As for MGM, we love it! We find ourselves there at least three different times per trim. Fantasmic is a must do at least twice as are The Great Movie Ride and those you mentioned. Plus, we find the array of dining options at MGM to be much better than that offered at AK. We enjoy Prime Time and the Brown Derby. I was actually surprised that so many were a fan of AK?:mickey:

RAIDER
06-04-2007, 03:39 AM
It used to be MGM but now i must say since EE and Nemo i am now shading for AK :mickey::thumbsup:

mook3y
06-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Close call here, but I love thrill rides and RnR & ToT barely beat out EE.

avantgardeinker
06-04-2007, 08:59 AM
I love the Animals at AK. However, it will be interesting to see MGM through the eyes of my 2 year old when we take her for the first time in Dec. Voyage of the Little Mermaid and Playhouse Disney Live will have a whole new meaning I think.

185 more days!!
:mickey:

4ubie1
06-04-2007, 09:38 AM
I went with AK. I love both parks but it seems almost sad to wander around MGM. I remember when i was younger, it seemed more full of life. Not soo many empty spaces, ya know?? So now it is a half day park at best for me...although i am hoping they change this :D And ToT is one of my personal must-dos.

AK - i am able to waste a day there. Plenty of things to look at and trails to wander around. And i can not wait for E:E :thumbsup:

pshokie
06-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Wow, this is crazy. :crazy:

I think this is one of the more provoking topics in YO100Q. And I applaud all of you for taking the high road and not getting into the "us vs them." I am a late voter, and I found it very educational. Stripping the whole thing down, I can sum up EVERYONE'S posts to the follolwing:

I voted for <Park A>.
We just love/can't miss <Thing A>, <Thing B>, or <Thing C>. They are our favorties! And we just love the theming of <Park A>.

<Park B> just doesn't do it for us, I know other people like it, but it is just not our cup of tea. For us <Park B> is no more than a 1/2 day park. And next time, DW/DH may just want to skip it all together.

Seriously, re-read the whole thread. all of the posts are like this. Pretty funny, eh? :thumbsup:

And for the record, I voted MGM. But with a DD (4), Playhouse Disney, Muppets, and Beauty and the Beast will trump almost everything (except MK).

DawsonAR
06-04-2007, 10:30 AM
That is a hard question. We love them both!

DizNee143
06-04-2007, 11:16 AM
MGM...i just like this park way way way better than AK...i havent been to AK for like the last 3 or 4 visits to Disney..just not really into it...

mdricks
06-04-2007, 11:23 AM
UNFAIR! How do you choose between these two?!?

I think an able marketing strategy for these parks is to keep them both at the same level of "must-see-ness" so that we will all tack on an extra day rather than miss anything.

Well they succeeded. I really cant choose one over the other. Who am I with? How much time do I have? Do I have an adr at Cali grill?

Jeeze could you make it any harder?

(I went MGM btw. :blush: )

glenpreece
06-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Disney-MGM because of

Fantasmic! ToT, RnRC, One Man's Dream, Muppets, Little Mermaid and all the various characters out and about.

castlelady36
06-04-2007, 12:18 PM
With the edition of the Yeti I had to vote for AK but MGM is very close behind.

JCDarzi
06-04-2007, 12:52 PM
That's a tough one...for my kids, MGM has their faves...Playhouse Disney, Beauty and the Beast, and Voyage of the Little Mermaid. But I love the overall themeing of Animal Kingdom. It's just a beauty park.

Jakk
06-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Animal Kingdom hands down. People keep saying it's just a glorfied zoo but it isn't! I really don't see how it is a zoo at all, and Animal Kingdom in a year will surpass Epcots attendance. Animal Kingdom is always a must-do park when were at Disney World. It has probaley one of the best show on in any Disney property at any country (yes even better than the DCA Alladin show) of Nemo, and has our second favorite show at Disney of FOTLK! It has one my favorite attraction which is Dinosuar, and of the best rollercoasters at disney in EE. Also we can never miss Kilmanjoro Safari, and Kali River Rapids (and shoot people from above,lol timeless). An has one the 2nd best 3D show (1st of course would be Philar Magic) in ITTBAB! We can also spend hours going through the diffrent treks, and looking at the various animals. I believe that Animal Kingdom is one of the most wonderful looking park, and very rich on theming. Animal Kingdom is always a full day park for us now!

Now DS is a whole diffrent situation! The attendance is very low compared to the other parks, it has outdated attractions like StarTours, and GMR. To Backlot Tour is now ****** because of that stupid stuntshow. Really the only reasons is to go there is for ToT, and RnR, oh and Fantasmic. Proabley the next time we'll go there is when TSM opens. But this year we'll just skip MGM...

January-2007
06-05-2007, 10:15 AM
MGM is our favorite park. No contest. We didn't even go to Animal Kingdom at all last week.

mdearmas
08-02-2007, 04:33 PM
I love MGM studios! It's kinda sad that the park is a shell of what it once was but it seems like they are about to put some money into it to spruce it back up!
:goofy:

lilmick
08-02-2007, 10:38 PM
I couldnt choose, because two of my favorite rides were at MGM. Which were Rockin Rollar Coaster, and Tower of Terror. But another one of my favorites was at AK, Expedition Everest.;)

Disneyjim
08-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Animal Kingdom - amazing luv it:mickey:

MickeysEars
08-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I love the themeing at AK. they did such a better job with that park. I love that you go to different regions and different lands like at MK

snifflesmcg
08-04-2007, 07:25 PM
The poll was already closed but I would have gone with MGM. AK doesn't appeal to me too much.