PDA

View Full Version : "Jersey" week

tinxmom
06-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Has anyone gone during "Jersey" week in the last few years? Just how bad are the crowds?

Disney Yankee
06-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Was there in 2004 - crowds were manageable - most crowds were on the weekend - during the Food & Wine Festival.

stitchcousin
06-01-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm a Jersey mom and we always go down at this time since the kids only miss two days of school. Crowds are not bad. But be warned that you may hear a lot of jokes about Jersey people!!! It's quite fun!! Though I think that it's getting a little more crowded at this time of year (in fact, Disney changed it from "value" to "regular" $$ a few years back), we only waited in line less than 20 minutes on more popular rides!!

pshokie
06-01-2007, 08:49 PM
When is Jersey week? Sorry, not from Jersey so I have no idea when this is.

Jeffp123
06-01-2007, 10:15 PM
"Jersey Week" is when most schools in new jersey are closed on Thursday and Friday for the Teacher's Union Convention. Basically the teachers go to atlantic city for "meetings" (or gambling) and all the kids head to disney. Most kids take off the whole week and only miss three days of school

Pop Centurion
06-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Never been there for Jersey week but last year during the 2nd week of Sept there was a lot of people from Jersey. Most of the people that were eating at the HDDMR were from Jersey and we even met a small group of girls from the next town over while in line for Everest.

NJDad
06-02-2007, 06:45 AM
When it coincides with the Soap opera weekend it can get a little more crowded than you'd like for an 'offseason' weekend.

TiggeRia
06-02-2007, 08:40 AM
I was there in 2005 and did not find it to be all that crowded. I wouldn't hesitate to go during that week again. :mickey:

Milan23
06-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Out of curiousity...when does it fall this year? We have "fall break" here in Phoenix...Disneyland is always packed at that time, so we are heading to WDW this year. Ours is in October, usually the week after Columbus Day.

pshokie
06-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Posting again, cause I am still looking for an answer. :) This is information for those of us who do not live in Jersey.....

All school districts throughout the country have teacher work days of some sort. For Northern Virginia, it is the first Monday & Tuesday of November. Like clockwork....

So when is (not what is) Jersey Week?

And is it really any different than any other region's/state' s "3-day week".

TIA!

Jasper
06-03-2007, 02:08 PM
We have been at Disney World twice in the past during "Jersey week" and never noticed any difference in the size of the crowds. Where we have noticed a difference is when several states have school closings at the same time.

While New Jersey certainly has a lot of students in its public school system, by the time you subtract those who can't or won't go to Disney World, and then add in the huge capacity that Disney World has, it is tough for a single state to have a "huge" impact on the crowds. I would watch more closely for multiple states being off at the same time than I would for a single state.

Plus, and this is only a guess, but I would also guess that with the increased price in fuel that you will start to see more people staying closer to home for vacations. Especially if that time off school is just a few days.

tundramom
06-03-2007, 02:47 PM
We were at SSR last year during "Jersey week" which was 11/6-11/10. The crowds were not bad (heavier than first week of Dec. but considerably lighter than Oct.). We definitely could tell the Jersey people. We've decided to try to miss it in the future.

Scar
06-03-2007, 04:42 PM
So when is (not what is) Jersey Week?New Jersey public schools will be closed November 8 and 9, 2007 for the NJEA convention.

wedway76
06-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Does anyone know if NJ High Schools get those days off too? My son starts in a Public High School in September. He was in a private Grammar School so he never got off in the past. It would be a great time to go, although I’m not sure if I want to spend my vacation with other people who are as annoying as I am.;)

tinksmom02
06-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Does anyone know if NJ High Schools get those days off too? My son starts in a Public High School in September. He was in a private Grammar School so he never got off in the past. It would be a great time to go, although I’m not sure if I want to spend my vacation with other people who are as annoying as I am.;)

I'm pretty sure (99%) that all of the public schools are closed for the teacher's convention. If your son's new HS has a website, try checking it for the school calendar.

I know my daughter's (private) nursery school was closed last November, because they follow the district's schedule.

Spaceship Tigger
06-04-2007, 07:19 AM
And is it really any different than any other region's/state' s "3-day week".

I wondered the same thing back in 2004 when I found out after our trip was planned that it was 'Jersey Week'. I didn't understand why New Jersey schools being off would make enough of an impact to WDW to be worth mentioning. Crowds seemed very normal for that time and the only increases seemed due to the F&WF.

bleukarma
06-04-2007, 07:59 AM
Wow, I was there during Jersey Week last year and I didn’t even know it. I didn’t even know it existed. (I’m not from Jersey). The crowds weren’t bad at all! :thumbsup:

diz_girl
06-04-2007, 10:01 AM
My boss went to WDW during 'Jersey Week' this past November and he said that the crowds weren't bad at all. He mentioned that the place wasn't like a Tony Soprano convention, it's just that if he were to start a conversation with someone next to him the chances were that they were from New Jersey. He's a transplant from Pennsylvania, as am I, so his opinion is not coming from a pro-Jersey bias.

Anyway, the New Jersey stereotype usually reflects residents of northeastern New Jersey, within 25 miles of Manhattan. Once you get outside that area, it's a little harder to tell if someone is from New Jersey.

NJDad
06-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Anyway, the New Jersey stereotype usually reflects residents of northeastern New Jersey, within 25 miles of Manhattan. Once you get outside that area, it's a little harder to tell if someone is from New Jersey.

As a transplanted Pennsylvanian who lives in the area you describe, I can tell ya that like all stereotypes, there is some truth but plenty of exceptions to that. We've met many fine people around here who've lived here their whole lives and they're not so bad.

pjbs35a
06-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Please keep the comments "On Topic."

Thank You

Red Randal
06-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Aww, c'mon pjbs35a, don't give the warning right before I'm about to post my New Jersey jokes. ;)

SBETigg
06-06-2007, 03:17 PM
We were there during "Jersey week" one year and we didn't really find a lot of NJ people or high crowds. What we did encounter were a lot of foreign tour groups in the park at that time. A lot of British accents, some Brazilian groups. Apparently the Autumn months are big vacation times in other countries. Anyone here from the UK to confirm this or did the CMs just feed us a line?

pjbs35a
06-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Aww, c'mon pjbs35a, don't give the warning right before I'm about to post my New Jersey jokes. ;)

You know how Moderators are, always out to spoil the fun.

iceicebritney
06-06-2007, 07:27 PM
hey, when is Jersey wk exactly?? and i'm from jersey - so easy on the jokes!

denygold
06-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Early Jersey week isn't too bad- the weekend at the end where Soap Opera weekend at the Studios coincides with Veterans' Day and the remaining Jersey people and the Festival of the Masters at DTD - then it's crowded.

NJDad
06-07-2007, 06:03 AM
Jersey 'week' is really only 2 weekdays, Thursday and Friday, plus the weekend, at least for our schools. So all those NJ folks other days are playing hooky.

WelshieLover
06-07-2007, 10:39 AM
New Jersey Teachers Convention is Thursday and Friday November 8 and 9, 2007. So the week of Nov 3 -11 2007 will be NJ week!

Figgyluv03
06-08-2007, 12:35 PM

Yeah, the high school kids get off the same too days as well. I loved Novembers when I was in school, 'cause we were hardly ever there. And yes, you can definetley tell when Jersey people are in Disney!!!