PDA

View Full Version : How will Disney Respond to Universal's Harry Potter Addition? [Merged Threads]

happydisneygirl
06-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Did you guys hear about the new theme park within a theme park at Universal?
Look like Islands of Adventure at US is getting Harry Potter in 2009.

How will this affect Disney's planning? Do you think that Disney will step up bringing in the 5th gate in response?
Or perhaps add onto MGM or AK?
Any rumours, educated guesses or crazy theories flying around?

I predict that Disney is going to want to be competitve and I bet they will have a new park within the next 5 years.

I think that my job as a loyal Disney girl is to dream up the best disney possible so that I can take my DH here many more times without him getting bored or going nuts.

What makes the most economic sense for disney is debatable but I do know this, they want me to keep on coming as often as possible.

Some families might only ever go once and some love it so much they will go at least every year, these two groups need to both be happy.

But I'm in the middle, I fit into the category of visitor who wants to come back but can't always justify the expense or interest my hubby unless there is something new to see there, and I think keeping these people happy is the differnce between visiting once every 3 to 7 years and visiting every 1 to 2 years, which is a big difference in park sales for Disney. If Disney wants people to buy the Disney Vacation Club properties they need to do both the spiffying up of the current parks, plus adding on a new land to AK and adding new eticket ride at each park (spacing them out about 1 1/2 years apart), everytime there is a new ride I will probably come and I will bring at least 10 people with me.

Everyone here has awesome suggestions for what Disney should do to improve and Disney needs to listen to them. I don't know if a 5th park is realistic at this point in time but Disney has to think towards the future and in the future it will prob be a great idea, I mean who doesn't want a whole new exciting Disney experience? Maybe if they did do a Disney villians land they would have something my DH would love to see again and again.
I have never been to DisneySea but is it something that could be combined w AK to save on some of the infrastructure costs and then maybe see it happen alot sooner than if it was a whole new park on its own.

As far as the staffing goes I really can understand what people are saying about it going down hill. And it is a problem but as I just learned from that Golden Dreams ride in Disneyland, every problem has a solution;-)
I work for Westjet which people in Canada knows has a pretty good reputation for staff(Westjet care:blush:), and although Canada has the lowest unemployment rate in decades
Westjet is getting crazy applicants like 3000 every week. Why you ask? well Disney should hire us to find out really, but I will tell you for free, GREAT corporate culture, pretty fun work environment and profit sharing! Plus they know how to hire an employee who cares and is fun to work with so other people want to work there too. There is alot of things Disney could do to make it a funner place to work, I mean they are Disney for crying out loud they should know about fun and making people happy. Maybe they need to make some dreams come true for some employees? If a Disney employee is proud to work there they will take more pride in their work.:mickey:

TiggerRPh
06-02-2007, 12:07 AM
I personally don't think it's going to do anything to Disney planning. Disney needs to spend a lot of money fixing up MK and Epcot, and getting something to do in the Studios. I think AK is okay for now.

GrumpyFan
06-02-2007, 01:52 PM
I still think it's too soon to start building the 5th gate. However, planning for it is probably not a bad idea. With all of the new rooms that are slated to be built in the next 5-10 years (DVC at AK, Four Seasons, Contemporary tower, Wester way), there will be a lot more people on property, so they will need to add more capacity within the next 10 years.

Hopefully, Disney doesn't do a knee-jerk reaction to Uni's Harry Potter attraction. Although, both AK and DS could both use some new additions. If they did anything, I would like to see something done with the area at AK that was previously going to be used for the Beastly Kingdom. Not that I necessarily think they need to build it like they planned, but do something with it.

While I think the 5th gate will probably start to be built in the next 10 years, I have to wonder how it will effect how people spend their vacation. As is, a seven day trip to WDW has enough to keep you busy for the entire time, and still not see everything. With 4 parks, 2 water parks, and Downtown Disney, it's a challenge to plan and schedule everything. Most guests spend 4-7 days at WDW, which means they are at least going to visit the 4 parks in that time. But, imagine what will happen when there is a 5th park added. Guests staying less than 5 days will have a dilemma/decision to make with reagrds to which park not to visit.

Ms.Disney
06-02-2007, 06:42 PM
It's not like Disney to do nothing after a competitor announces such a big plan. Sea World announced plans for a new water park not to long ago, now IOA is getting a whole new themed land and Disney does nothing.....doubt it! But I am sure there will be no 5th gate for at least 10 years. Disney has some tricks up there sleves like turning MGM in to Pixar land :mickey: I will be happy if we can just get Space MT. updated like the one in DL.

LudwigVonDrake
06-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Disney really doesn't need "compete" with the Harry Potter addition. Universal needed Harry a lot more than Disney did. Disney will "respond" to this in some way and we will all be the better for it but they wouldn't suffer if they stood pat :smickey:

dizneyfreek
06-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Harry Potter coming to Universal Studios...What do all you guys think of this!!
Disneys not going out of business because of this, but do you think they should counter with something. As all of you know, Harry Potter is very popular and I think disney is going to hurt a little from this.

Polynesian Dweller
06-03-2007, 08:00 PM
I agree that Disney doesn't need to do anything. Frankly, I think that Harry will have an initial high volume but its pretty hard to see how you can re-create the books atmosphere in Florida. Its not like people can ride broomsticks and actually play Quidditch. So I think that the initial interest won't necessarily transform into longevity, just like so much of the rest of Universal.

SBETigg
06-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Really, the Harry Potter addition will just about bring Universal up to more competitive levels with Disney. I predict Disney will be hitting something new out in the Orlando parks in the next ten years, but they're not worried or in a rush. The fact is that though the Harry Potter addition will be popular and a reason to visit Universal, Disney still holds the edge on bringing in the crowds to stay at Disney and make their parks a priority.

rkmemkc
06-03-2007, 08:32 PM
I just think upon realizing that they will never measure up, Universal is grasping at straws to compete....not to worry. Disney will remain strong and is probably working on something bigger. :mickey:

Deesdisney
06-03-2007, 08:34 PM
I do not think they would hurt. I have been to Universal for a day. I was not to impressed. They do not have alot of rides for little ones. But I would be interested to see what they come up with in this part. I think other people will probably be interested but the Disney fanatics like me will be at Disney every year.

SBETigg
06-03-2007, 08:42 PM
It will raise Universal up to more competitive levels, but it still won't make much of an impact as far as Universal cutting into Disney's crowd. People may see more reason to leave Disney parks and try Universal for a day, but that's about it. For Universal, it's a start. For Disney, it's something to watch but no major cause for concern.

gueli
06-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Although I know that this view is a bit naive...
:secret:
I do not look at the different parks being in a compitition. I think of them more as complimentary. I have been to Orlando a number of times back in the 90's (got married in 01, kid in 02). :):groom:
I have enjoyed going to universal studio's. I thought that the addition of Islands of adventure was a good thing. :thumbsup:
I enjoyed Sea world, and in the past have spent plenty of time minature golfing,eating out & going to water parks that were in Kissimee or orlando.
I have always found these excursions to be fun for what they are.:)
When I want the Magic- there is only one place I go. WDW and the CM's just do it right.
I prefer to stay in the park when I am there.
I think that the vast majority of people come to WDW for the magic.:clappy:
I think it only enhances the magic when other parks "try to compete". I hope universal studios does well with harry potter. I think JKRowlings is a very smart person & has the understanding that she needs to have 'control' over her vision. Unfortunatly with disney, the marrage would not work with harry potter.
I would hope that disney will do more with PIXAR at Disney MGM stuidios. There are so many great stories that they have come out with that there are so many places to go (rides, etc).
So basically I think by doing Harry Potter, Universal will be a better place. Better than the WORLD ? Absolutly not. But as the consumer it should be good.
:pirate:

Supercali
06-04-2007, 01:00 AM
From I've been hearing, Disney-MGM Studios will become - Disney-Pixar Studios. It may even be announced as early as this fall. As for the fifth park, try about 8 years - 2015. You don't think they're building those new hotel projects for nothing? There may also be a new water park announced next year.:mickey:

little disney lovers
06-04-2007, 02:37 AM
Disney is Disney, It's a MASSIVE drawcard in itself! No need to worry about that funny looking Harry Potter kid!

RAIDER
06-04-2007, 03:57 AM
Disney is Disney, It's a MASSIVE drawcard in itself! No need to worry about that funny looking Harry Potter kid!

I agree ...all parks are constantly bringing in new additions or updating shows/ rides .... The reason
why people are drawn to Orlando is because of DIsney NOT Universal ..... yes people will visit this attraction when it comes out ..but only after no doubt what reviews its gets :thumbsup::mickey:

cetacean01
06-04-2007, 07:11 AM
I agree ...all parks are constantly bringing in new additions or updating shows/ rides .... The reason
why people are drawn to Orlando is because of DIsney NOT Universal ..... yes people will visit this attraction when it comes out ..but only after no doubt what reviews its gets :thumbsup::mickey:

I really think you folks are underestimating this. Disney needs something FANTATSTIC and soon.

Spaceship Tigger
06-04-2007, 08:22 AM
I really think you folks are underestimating this. Disney needs something FANTATSTIC and soon.

AK (the Disney park with the lowest attendence) had 8.91 million visitors in 2006 while IOA had 5.30 million. Disney has absolutely nothing to worry about. If anything, the Harry Potter addition might stop the dropping attendence that IOA has had over the past couple of years. And just because the books are popular does not necessarily translate into a successful area of a theme park.

Stu29573
06-04-2007, 11:47 AM
It will be interesting to see what US does with Potter now that they have him. I can't see them (or anyone) out-Disneying Disney. That being said, competition is good. I think really cool things will come out of this at Disney in the long run.

nickcapp
06-04-2007, 12:06 PM
One word....PIRATES!!!

Expand on the pirates line! As popular as Harry Potter is, the box office numbers do not touch POTC!

Talk about a way to respond! I mean, they already own one of the most successful film franchises of all time! They wouldn't have to spend a dime to acquire any rights

Update Adventureland! Give us an interactive Black Pearl to climb on. Install one of the better Indiana Jones attractions! Make Adventureland adventureous again without sacrifce.

Wow...who would have guessed....they don't need ideas from other outside visionaries...Walt knew all along....

disneygeek18
06-04-2007, 12:13 PM
I think the Harry Potter addition will more than likely be, well, stunning! There is so much they can do with this, and I agree with previous a previous poster, I think people are under-estimating what could turn out to be breathtaking. And im sure Disney is noticing this is going to be a BIG deal, or I hope they are anyway.

xipetotec
06-04-2007, 12:40 PM
I agree that Disney doesn't need to do anything. Frankly, I think that Harry will have an initial high volume but its pretty hard to see how you can re-create the books atmosphere in Florida. Its not like people can ride broomsticks and actually play Quidditch. So I think that the initial interest won't necessarily transform into longevity, just like so much of the rest of Universal.

I admit I have to agree with this. I love Harry Potter. But we're also in the middle of it all. In a couple of years, all the books AND movies will be all wrapped up and over. And Universal will not only have dedicated an attraction to the series, but a whole LAND. Will it have been worth it? Will people slowly forget about Harry Potter, leaving generations of people clueless as to what that land is supposed to represent? I guess time will tell.

( That being said, as a fan I do look forward to seeing what they come up with )

Jacova
06-04-2007, 01:56 PM
I agree with everyone who said that this isn't too big of a problem for Disney. I think it's a great thing for US - it will definitely draw crowds for at least the first year. The thing is - what are those crowds going to do with the rest of their vacation? US is a one day trip - two at most. I'd be willing to bet that 3/4 of visitors to US (non locals) spend most of their vacation at WDW. If anything, this gives people another reason to take another trip to Orlando / WDW. At least, I know I'm going to use that excuse...:secret:

Update Adventureland! Give us an interactive Black Pearl to climb on. Install one of the better Indiana Jones attractions! Make Adventureland adventureous again without sacrifce.
This is a fantastic idea!!! :thumbsup:

Experiment626
06-04-2007, 02:26 PM
:mickey:Hi Everyone

I agree with most people and don't see this as a big deal for Disney to worry about.

Remember what we are talking about is retheming 2 current attractions at IOA...Dueling Dragons and The Unicorn Coaster and adding the new rumored Flying Car attraction from the Chamber of Secrets. Are 2 rethemes and 1 new attraction going to cut it for most guests. I realize they will have shops and restaurants in the Hogsmede sectiona nd what sounds like a walk through of Hogwarts but beyond that what else?? The area they are building this in is landlocked so aside from pushing the current area into a parking lot and maintenance area like they say they are going to do, where else can they go with this. The total area has been said to be about 20 acres. I don't think Disney needs to over react to this. Just continue the recent program of rehabbing classics like small world, mansion this year...etc. And adding some new stuff like Midway Mania and maybe go ahead with a Narnia area for DAK and the upgraded Star Tours and maybe the Indiana Jones attraction for the studios.
In the end I just don't see Disney worrying too much about one 20 acre land in a park that from day one has been an attendance dissapointment.
It will bump up IOA but as for it being a real threat to Disney....once the families maybe go to IOA and do the Harry Potter Land...then what? They may feel a bit cheated that all the hype amounts to maybe an hours worth of Potter and the rest of the park is much more geared to Teens and Adults.

Jakk
06-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Hello I'm a new member and this my first post! I'm very excited to be here, and I hope I have a wonderful time! :thumbsup:

Okay I have been hearing this rumor about possible ways of countering HP. Here's what it said:

'll say this much : One of the more intriguing ideas that's currently on the table is a total revamp of the theming of the Magic Kingdom's Adventureland section. Where this part of that theme park would basically become Pirate Land. And the Swiss Family Treehouse would be ripped out & replaced by a full-sized version of the Black Pearl that you could explore. And the long-empty Adventureland Veranda would then be changed into this Pirates-themed tavern that featured interactive entertainment. Where even the "Enchanted Tiki Room" would be reworked so that this Audio-Animatronic show would star pirate parrots.

Of course, the really big draw for this side of the Magic Kingdom would be an "E" Ticket. A brand-new thrill ride that (Keying off the proposed storyline of "Pirates of the Caribbean 4." I.E. Captain Jack Sparrow & Barbossa's search for the Fountain of Youth) would then take WDW guests through this long-abandoned, over-grown temple that is just loaded with booby traps. Now I find this whole retheming of Adventureland to Pirateland could be very awsome. But of course what would make me go would be the proposed new E-Ticket Pirate thrill ride. But perhaps they could even change the POTC ride to be more like Disneylands. They could move the Tree House to the studios because they are making a movie of the Swiss Family Robinson. They could get rid of the {junk} that is know to be the magic flying carpets, and with Jungle Cruise they can give it more of a Pirate-esque feeling. An perhaps they can do what Disneyland did to there Tom Sawyer Island? Well what do you think about the proposed idea?:mickey:

Spaceship Tigger
06-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Remember what we are talking about is retheming 2 current attractions at IOA...Dueling Dragons and The Unicorn Coaster and adding the new rumored Flying Car attraction from the Chamber of Secrets. Are 2 rethemes and 1 new attraction going to cut it for most guests. I realize they will have shops and restaurants in the Hogsmede sectiona nd what sounds like a walk through of Hogwarts but beyond that what else??

Is this all that they're doing? Sounds like even less of a big deal than I originally thought.

Stu29573
06-04-2007, 03:05 PM
No, no...ADD TO, don't take away!
(except for those stupid carpets):mickey:

BrerSchultzy
06-04-2007, 04:48 PM
First of all...WELCOME Jakk! You will have fun here...just don't expect to get your free time back any time soon.

As to the idea of rethemeing Adventureland...I think that may be the last straw for a lot of folks. And I don't think people like Lasseter or Iger would really go for that.

Now, the idea of a Pirates themed water park seems to be getting some legs, and that I could see.

As far as Harry Potter having an affect on Disney, though...let's remember, when Universal Studios was competing (numbers wise) with Disney, it just meant that more people were staying on Disney Property, and heading to Universal for a day. With the values and Moderates being competitively priced with other Orlando hotels, the Harry Potter land may have an unexpected impact on Disney...i.e, the completion of Pop Century, or the creation of more value hotels.

Just a thought.

xipetotec
06-04-2007, 04:52 PM
First of all...WELCOME Jakk! You will have fun here...just don't expect to get your free time back any time soon.

As to the idea of rethemeing Adventureland...I think that may be the last straw for a lot of folks. And I don't think people like Lasseter or Iger would really go for that.

Now, the idea of a Pirates themed water park seems to be getting some legs, and that I could see.

As far as Harry Potter having an affect on Disney, though...let's remember, when Universal Studios was competing (numbers wise) with Disney, it just meant that more people were staying on Disney Property, and heading to Universal for a day. With the values and Moderates being competitively priced with other Orlando hotels, the Harry Potter land may have an unexpected impact on Disney...i.e, the completion of Pop Century, or the creation of more value hotels.

Just a thought.

wow. this is a very good point!
As it is, it's not like Universal is adding a 3rd GATE to their theme parks. It will still be a two theme park place, and tough HP's popularity may bring some folks down, I don't know that it will turn Universal into "the place to stay" for folks other than those who already see it that way.

Aurora
06-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Remember what we are talking about is retheming 2 current attractions at IOA...Dueling Dragons and The Unicorn Coaster and adding the new rumored Flying Car attraction from the Chamber of Secrets. Are 2 rethemes and 1 new attraction going to cut it for most guests. I realize they will have shops and restaurants in the Hogsmede sectiona nd what sounds like a walk through of Hogwarts but beyond that what else?? The area they are building this in is landlocked so aside from pushing the current area into a parking lot and maintenance area like they say they are going to do, where else can they go with this. The total area has been said to be about 20 acres...

It sounds like they are being fairly ambitious about it. Here are some excerpts from a Sentinel story:

"Universal intends to spend $230 million to $265 million to create "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" at Islands of Adventure ...

Universal's challenge will be to create an attraction that delivers on its promise to exceed Potter fans' expectations for faithfulness to the stories....

Universal Chairman Tom Williams told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday that the Harry Potter attraction would be like "a theme park within a theme park" spanning about 20 acres of Islands of Adventure's 85 total acres....

The pressure to build an attraction that is true to the Harry Potter brand, he said, will be intense, though the company is looking forward to creating the smells, sounds and texture of Hogwarts Castle and the Forbidden Forest."

The story did mention that Universal's attendance was declining while Disney's was increasing, and a spokesperson for Disney said any improvements to the theme park business there would benefit all of them. So I don't think Disney is worried.

Tekneek
06-09-2007, 11:53 AM
For me, the logical response is dusting off the Beastly Kingdom concept and prepare to bring that to life. Something like that or the long rumoured "Villians Park" are the only things that I would get really exicted about. If they aren't interested in either of those, I would personally be very skeptical.

The Bookseller
06-09-2007, 10:06 PM
One word....PIRATES!!!

Expand on the pirates line! As popular as Harry Potter is, the box office numbers do not touch POTC!

Talk about a way to respond! I mean, they already own one of the most successful film franchises of all time! They wouldn't have to spend a dime to acquire any rights

I was talking with a major WDW fan about this and he pointed a little fact: Harry Potter is, by itself, a "Perisable Product". The Story of Harry is one of "Comming of Age" with teen angst and hard life lessons. The problem is that, when he reaches adulthood, the story itself ends. Right now, the last book is in the presses and there's 3 movies left to make.

After that, there's no continuity. There's will be nothing out there of high-caliber to remember the Harry Potter franchise. So, if Universal Studios start building right now, they will have 1 or 2 movies to sells their "Harry Potter Land".

Walt Disney World dosen't have that issue. They have TONS of copyrights and enough storylines to generate new products "At Nauseum". I might have voiced my displeasure related to the "Direct-to-DVD" animation lately but they keep the franchise alive and fresh. So, updating new rides is a breeze and there's still a media ellement out there bringing people in.

This bring us to the POTC franchise, fully owned by Disney. At the end of the Third movie, most of the good guys are (Kinda) alive, the Black Pearl is out there And Jack Sparow is still kicking rear-ends. By itself, adding another trilogy is possible and, if we think of the success of the last three movies, it might be quite rewarding to do so.

If WDW want to chalenge Universal, they just have to expand Aventureland and add 2-3 attractions related to the POTC's movie franchise.

I just feel that Universal found another creative way to end #2 again. :D

snifflesmcg
06-09-2007, 10:13 PM
I don't think adding Harry Potter land will take away all that much business from Disney. There are too many loyal Disney customers for that to happen. I think at this point it would be absurd of Disney to add a 5th park. Epcot and MGM both needs some upgrading and IMHO AK is only about half done. For me, AK is a half day park, at best. I think Disney will do something but I don't know what.

cindymouse6
06-10-2007, 12:23 AM
I work with a past CM -- a manager/trainer of Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion for 8 years --- he went back to grad school and now works with me, but has tons of friends that are in mgmt at WDW. He stated that Disney had been bidding on Harry and Universal won --- as the news release was being announced, his DW friend was text messaging him that Disney got a blow by not getting Harry.:mad: They were pretty certain that is was going to happen and was shocked Universal got it instead.

So Disney is trying to stay ahead -- but money --- a LOT of money -- talks. The park as described seems to be intriguing --- enough that I can't wait to go and have been to Universal once and won't go back till all my kids are 52" or taller!

CNBC reported a 2 weeks ago about a 5th park -- I thought they stated it was 5 years away -- 2012. Anyone else see this??? That an additional park was needed in order to accomodate the increasing hotel guests.

Have to admit, Harry and a "school" for sorcers is a really cool idea and can't wait to see it!

splashtest
06-10-2007, 12:30 AM
As with all Universal project. Harry Potter will be incredible when it comes out. Over time the look to the attraction will decline and Universal will fail the upkeep on it. It will all become sunbleahed and unimpressive in no time at all. No worries here.
I have a feeling Disney will counter with Star Wars and Indy.:thumbsup:

wizardmickey
06-10-2007, 07:13 PM
I've seen several wicked cool ideas here that would indeed swing interest in Disney's favor, and to sum 'em up and add a thought to them:
The Adventureland Upates: Yeah Yeah! At least make POTC as long as the DLR version... sorry, but it is a better ride than WDW's. Bring Indiana Jones to Adventureland, and maybe some general updating of the area?
Disney-Pixar Studio: A real no-brainer with unlimited potential!
AK: The Beastly Kingdom section would indeed make this, the least attended of the Disney parks, finally an all day park for some (and even as the least attended it's numbers still outdo Universal if I read that other post right!)
Yeah, DIsney fought and lost the rights to Harry Potter... to be honest, Universal having it still doesn't interest me enough to make me wanna go running there. AND lest we forget, DIsney now also has Stan "the Man" Lee under contract... who knows what wild ideas might come out of this relationship? 'Nuff Said!

PrincessCandaceMarie
06-12-2007, 10:32 AM
I can't wait to see what Disney decides to do with counter action (hate using that phrase but can't think of anything else right now..sorry...) ~ as for the Pirates, Star Wars and Indy ideas, I'm all for those too! And who knows what else they have on their minds but I surely am excited! :mickey: I'll always be the WDW Princess, I have no desire to venture over to US; so no worries on my end....!

LaDracul
06-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm not really keen on turning Adventureland into an all-POTC area. The restaurant and "Raging Spirits" redo sound fine, but that's really overdoing too much of a good thing.

I think that Disney needs to look into underused properties or create something new entirely. I'm all for them doing something based on "Kingdom Hearts". :mickey:

CaptSmee
06-12-2007, 06:32 PM
I do believe that Disney is going to announce something just as major for it's parks to respond to the Potter card a Universal which is going to be a ENORMOUS draw for them!

MGM seems the most logical place to put new attractions in place, but there doesn't seem to be much space left for expansion. I'd love to see them announce something spectacular for the MK replacing that waste of Pooh Playground space, and possibly re-themeing areas to Pirates.

WDWFreek
06-12-2007, 07:15 PM
1) I am a HUGH Potter fan. I love it as much as I love WDW, but to be honest the new Poter Land will take me away from Disney for one day just so I can see the new Land. A day and a half at the most. I will still devote most of my time to the world.

2) As long as Pirtaes stay in MK and doesn't seep into other parks, except for maybe a new water park, I'm okay with the retheming.

3) IMO, Disney really only needs to do couple of things. As I see it, MK, Epcot and DAK are fine as is, it's MGM that need some lovin. Install the rumored Indy ride and the updated Star Tours film. Mixed those in with some kid frendly/minors attractions and we will have a new must see park.

caryrae
06-12-2007, 07:38 PM
they will respond like this:shrug:good luck:sleepin:

Cause Disney know they will always be :number1:

MickeyandTink
06-12-2007, 08:09 PM
1) I am a HUGE Potter fan. I love it as much as I love WDW, but to be honest the new Potter Land will take me away from Disney for one day just so I can see the new Land. A day and a half at the most. I will still devote most of my time to the world.

I'm already looking forward to my next trip to Orlando to check out the US Harry Potter land. However, I expect it will be a one or two day sidelight to a weeklong Disney trip. It really just gives our family another reason to go to Orlando and Disney sooner than we otherwise might. :D

JRock0114
06-13-2007, 04:44 PM
For those of you who think that Disney is untouchable.......you are wrong. The only reason great attractions like Rock n' Rollercoaster, TOT, and Mission Space exist right now is because of Universal.

When Universal came to town they knew that Disney had the young children and little girls locked up. So they went after teens, young adults, and males. This was very smart because they did punch Disney right in the mouth and pull dollars out of their pockets. Islands of Adventure just has an edge to it by design......and that is a good thing. Not everyone goes on vacation to become a princess or ride a slow attraction about a fairy tale that is 40 years old. Spider-Man, Jurassic Park, Men in Black, the Hulk, Shrek, and Dragons just has a different side to it and in most cases brings a different crowd. The big thing that people are leaving out is that not only are you selling gate but you are selling product. Most 12 year boys want nothing to do with a Mickey Mouse t-shirt......but a Spider-man shirt is a different story.

Harry Potter falls right in line with this.

I am a huge fan of both WDW and US/IOA. For the past few years I have been all over IOA for not adding a new attraction....now I can see what they were waiting on. This is huge. I'm not a big Harry Potter fan or anything but it does get me excited and I will for sure be there to see it.

Universal will never take over the #1 spot from Disney.......they know that. But for you folks who think that Disney is not worried about this, you are mistaken. About 10 years ago they were not worried about not having any Thrill rides until it was too late. They then had to go and add rides to bring that crowd back. So I don't see them making that mistake again.

I say......Everyone needs to keep building and adding on........Disney, Universal, Sea World .......everyone. It only pushes everyone else when the game is stepped up.

WDWFreek
06-13-2007, 09:12 PM
I say......Everyone needs to keep building and adding on........Disney, Universal, Sea World .......everyone. It only pushes everyone else when the game is stepped up.

Here here! couldn't agre more!

Tekneek
06-14-2007, 07:19 AM
I'm not really keen on turning Adventureland into an all-POTC area. The restaurant and "Raging Spirits" redo sound fine, but that's really overdoing too much of a good thing.

Disney seems to be all about riding a good thing right into the ground these days. Either management is hesitant to approve anything that doesn't appear to be riding a trend, or WDI is too busy chasing its own tail. I like some of the new concepts they've come up with, but does every new attraction have to include the new technology and be a Pixar tie-in? I can't shake the "feeling" that everything new in the parks is either about Pirates or Pixar. With the history Disney has in its vaults, and the technological innovations they can develop, it is disturbing to have the impression that they are making use of so little of it.

Spaceship Tigger
06-14-2007, 08:15 AM
But for you folks who think that Disney is not worried about this, you are mistaken.

Disney has said they are not worried and in this case I believe them. The Harry Potter land will bring more people to Orlando to see it at IOA - for a day or two. Disney knows that the majority of people that come to Orlando on vacation visit WDW at least part of their trip. So bringing more people to Universal will also bring more people to WDW.

big blue and hairy
06-14-2007, 08:48 AM
Well, first off, Disney would never publicly admit to being worried about anything Universal is doing. Secondly when they say they are not worried, it could be true, not because they don't think "Harry Potter Land" will be good, but because they already have plans in place to counter it, which they have not yet shared with us.

:sulley:

Ms.Disney
06-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Sure IOA is getting Potter land but I am pretty sure that MGM will end up Disney Studios and Mickey Ave will end up Pixar Blvd. :mickey: Nothing US will ever do to update there parks will compete with Disney. While there are a few rides I enjoy at US and IOA I will NEVER pay to get in to there parks, they are dirty, the bathrooms stink, the food is nasty and the staff is clueless and rude. Now with that said I am sure people will make the trip to check out Potter land but I really dont think it will keep them coming back for more. US has a rep. for not keeping up there rides.

xipetotec
06-14-2007, 10:08 AM

I agree, competition leads to the healthy economy down there and constant improvement. *BUT* I sure hope Disney doesn't do a knee-jerk reaction and just throws in a bunch of non-thought-out enhancements and attractions that won't have any staying power or will be cheaply put together ( Like the Chester and Hester area at AK ).

*I* think they should bank on their ties with lucas and Star Wars. ith the 30 year staying power of Star wars so far, i think expanding an area of the park to be even more Star Warsy could be a great counter to IOA's Harry potter section. fight fanboys with fanboys.

WDWFreek
06-14-2007, 01:02 PM
US has a rep. for not keeping up there rides.

I was thinking this when I read about the Potter Land in IOA. I couldn't help but think to myself, "Rowling really should have visited the place before agreeing to the licensing deal."

Disney seems to be all about riding a good thing right into the ground these days.

Yes they are. Everytime they have a hit (examples: Pirates and High School Musical), they shoov it down our throats until we are sick of it. Thats why I am not keen on the Piratesization of Adventureland.

Raye3201
06-14-2007, 08:37 PM
When there were rumors about Disney buying the Potter rights, there was a lot of excitement in our house since we are huge Disney fans and Potter fans. Although Disney wouldn't admit to having anything to fear, I am sure they are watching and planning...they didn't become this successful by not being proactive.
That being said, although I never had a desire to visit Universal, I will definitely check out the new Potter land or whatever its new name is! I find it hard to believe that Disney let this one slip through their fingers. I think that Rowling and Disney erred on this one since Rowling should have chosen the number one company for her beloved Potter and Disney should have been a little more flexible. Think of how great it would have been to have Potter at DisneyWorld....whatever universal does, Disney could have produced it in spades.:mickey:

disney1026
06-14-2007, 08:43 PM
I just wanted to respond to the following posting:

"Frankly, I think that Harry will have an initial high volume but its pretty hard to see how you can re-create the books atmosphere in Florida. Its not like people can ride broomsticks and actually play Quidditch."

I am very surprised that a Disney fan would say something like this. Isn't that what the Disney parks are all about - re-creating the magic from the Disney movies.

Harry Potter is HUGE! I don't think it will keep people from Disney, but I think it will cut down on the time they spend there. For example, a family that usually spends 5-6 days at Disney may now only spend 3-4 days at Disney and 1-2 days at Universal because of the Harry Potter attractions. So I believe Disney will lose money in this manner - people will spend less time there so they can also see Universal. I hate to say it, but in 2009 that will be the case for me. I don't have unlimited vacation time and you can bet that I will be seeing the Harry Potter attractions at Universal.

DREAMADREAM93
06-14-2007, 08:50 PM
One word....PIRATES!!!

Wow...who would have guessed....they don't need ideas from other outside visionaries...Walt knew all along....

I agree! With everything!
Add to the parks you already have first... THEN add another park. They REALLY need to explode with the POTC line! IT IS IN HIGH DEMAND EVERYWHERE!

Give me more Jack Sparrow and Jack the Monkey everytime i go to WDW and the world will be a better place!
Deffinatly a justifiable reason to return!

BUT, in the event they DO add a park in the future im all for a Disney Villains park.
There is a TON of stuff they could do with that. I would want it more geared towards thrill rides though.

JOrdan :]

disney1026
06-14-2007, 08:53 PM
A response to:

Actually, the numbers are a lot different than what you think. Internationally, POTC: Dead Man's Chest ranks #3 in box office totals and POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl ranks #30. POTC: At World's End remains to be seen.

However, the Harry Potter movies hold the 4th, 9th, 10th, and 19th positions.

So you can see, the Harry Potter movies have banked a lot of money! I myself know many people who aren't that interested in Disney (can you believe it?) but LOVE Harry Potter and say they will go to Universal when it opens.

WDWFreek
06-14-2007, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=disney1026;1320715}
I myself know many people who aren't that interested in Disney (can you believe it?) but LOVE Harry Potter and say they will go to Universal when it opens.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I LOVE Disney and Harry Potter both equally. But many of my friends see Disney as too kiddyish...witch is not true at all.

mttafire
06-18-2007, 11:45 PM
AK (the Disney park with the lowest attendence) had 8.91 million visitors in 2006 while IOA had 5.30 million. Disney has absolutely nothing to worry about. If anything, the Harry Potter addition might stop the dropping attendence that IOA has had over the past couple of years. And just because the books are popular does not necessarily translate into a successful area of a theme park.

Agreed 100% Disney not only has NOTHING to worry about, Its attendence keeps going UP. IMHO, DisneyWorld is a good as ever!!:thumbsup:

WDWFreek
06-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Agreed 100% Disney not only has NOTHING to worry about, Its attendence keeps going UP. IMHO, DisneyWorld is a good as ever!!:thumbsup:

I wouldn't say WDW has nothing to worry about, but not much...yet.

I am also a member of a Potter fan sight, and what I have read there is that many hardcore Potter fans (me being one of them.) think that making Potter a theme park attraction is cheapening the intregrity of the novels.

xipetotec
06-20-2007, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't say WDW has nothing to worry about, but not much...yet.

I am also a member of a Potter fan sight, and what I have read there is that many hardcore Potter fans (me being one of them.) think that making Potter a theme park attraction is cheapening the intregrity of the novels.

Maybe, maybe not... but does that mean you won't go?

DisneyFanaticDargon
06-20-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't excited when I heard the news. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and didn't really care who got it, I just wanted to see this theme park thing become a reality. IOA is a fun park, but they really needed something new, they're almost 10 years old and haven't added a big new attraction or section since the park opened, just a few kids rides. And having worked at Disney I've really noticed that these parks don't really compete. They all build new things because MOST (not all) people come down to Florida to visit one, then end up going to the rest. So they're more or less appearing to compete with each other to bring more business down to Florida and inevitably they all get business from the same people, the ones that came down for one park, but ended up seeing it all.

WDWFreek
06-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Maybe, maybe not... but does that mean you won't go?

No, I'll be there, because if it opens when it says going to I'll be there doing Disney College Program. But I'm almost possitive I'll be disapointed. The attraction is gonna be based on the films. The films are good, but don't come close to greatness of the books.

I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't excited when I heard the news. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and didn't really care who got it, I just wanted to see this theme park thing become a reality. IOA is a fun park, but they really needed something new, they're almost 10 years old and haven't added a big new attraction or section since the park opened, just a few kids rides. And having worked at Disney I've really noticed that these parks don't really compete. They all build new things because MOST (not all) people come down to Florida to visit one, then end up going to the rest. So they're more or less appearing to compete with each other to bring more business down to Florida and inevitably they all get business from the same people, the ones that came down for one park, but ended up seeing it all.

You have a good point. Whenever I go to Orlando to go to Disney World, we almost alway go to Universal or SeaWorld for a day.

Though it seems like they are fearce compeditors, in a way they are all working together to bring people to Orlando and away from other vacation destinations like Las Vegas, NY and LA.

r4kids
06-20-2007, 04:28 PM
We will being doing the same as a previous poster. Skipping 2008 at Disney in favor of a Disney/Universal vacation 2009. DS 9 is SOOOO tired of princesses. There is very little to do for boys between 8-15 to do at Disney. They have outgrown Tigger, Pooh and the gang. I think the Harry Potter in US is a fantastic idea. It will certianly draw us there in 2009 and were once a year Disney travelers. I am begging Disney to do more for older boys!!!! POTC dining on the Black Pearl with Barbosa and Sparrow, new rides tha would take you under the sea with the Black Pearl, etc.

WDWFreek
06-20-2007, 04:39 PM
We will being doing the same as a previous poster. Skipping 2008 at Disney in favor of a Disney/Universal vacation 2009. DS 9 is SOOOO tired of princesses. There is very little to do for boys between 8-15 to do at Disney. They have outgrown Tigger, Pooh and the gang. I think the Harry Potter in US is a fantastic idea. It will certianly draw us there in 2009 and were once a year Disney travelers. I am begging Disney to do more for older boys!!!! POTC dining on the Black Pearl with Barbosa and Sparrow, new rides tha would take you under the sea with the Black Pearl, etc.

I agree, Disney is in need of more things for older kids. I'm 21 and love Disney World, but I have steered claer the Magic Kingdom since i turned 15.

Disney has lots of stuff for kids 2-12 and stuff for adults but not too much for the in between croud. I say update Star Tours and bring the Indiana Jones Adventure to MGM.