PDA

View Full Version : How will loosing the "MGM" in the name effect the ride situation?

Disney_Barbie
06-01-2007, 03:05 PM
I was just thinking about the whole MGM becoming DIsney Pixar Studios thing and was wondering how that was going to effect the rides / shows that are MGM's copyright. Does changing the studios to Disney Pixar Studios mean that they can no longer use the MGM movies? Will they have to re-vamp the whole great movie ride and remove The Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular??? Or am I just panicing, will they still be able to use these despite the name change???

SpecJoe Magic
06-01-2007, 03:44 PM
As far as I know, losing "MGM" in the name won't affect any of the attractions. All of the movies featured in the Great Movie Ride that used to be MGM properties are now owned by various other companies. Indiana Jones is a Lucasfilm property as is Star Wars. All of the other attractions are either owned by Disney or licensed from companies other than MGM.

wedway76
06-01-2007, 04:30 PM
I wouldn’t worry too much. Most of the Movies in the Great Movie ride, including Raiders of the Lost Ark aren’t MGM movies anyway. Here is a breakdown:

Alien -20th Century Fox
Casablanca-Warner Brothers/ Turner
Footlight Parade-Warner Brothers
Raiders-Paramont
The Searchers-Warner Brothers

Singing In The Rain, and The Wizard of Oz are MGM movies.

dixielandings
06-01-2007, 04:40 PM
I would imagine - certainly HOPE anyway - that the Powers that Be would think through all those implications before making proceeding and would probably anything that would cost loads of money.

KellAnneL
06-01-2007, 05:14 PM
How it usually works is that the park contracts not only the park name (MGM) but also has individual contracts for the rides, attractions, restaurants, parades, characters, etc. So, even if they lose MGM to go to Pixar, they will still have all the same names on rides, attractions, etc. unless they decide not to renew them when their individual contracts expire, and then at such time they would have to rename or change them. It might be a gradual change or, it may come all at once depending on the contract.

I hope this makes sense!

(I'm a Tourism, Convention and Event Management major with emphasis on Attraction management at Indiana University, and have studied this type of situation before...when Cedar Fair purchased Kings Island in Cincinnati, OH.)

Kellie

Disney_Barbie
06-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Cool, thanks everybody, so I guess you're saying I can go ahead and stop loosing sleep over my fears of loosing my favorite rides :mickey:

biodtl
06-04-2007, 10:37 AM
I was wondering about this myself. DD loves Wizard of Oz and would be upset if it were missing from the Great Movie Ride.

Goofster
06-04-2007, 12:53 PM
How it usually works is that the park contracts not only the park name (MGM) but also has individual contracts for the rides, attractions, restaurants, parades, characters, etc. So, even if they lose MGM to go to Pixar, they will still have all the same names on rides, attractions, etc. unless they decide not to renew them when their individual contracts expire, and then at such time they would have to rename or change them. It might be a gradual change or, it may come all at once depending on the contract.

I hope this makes sense!

(I'm a Tourism, Convention and Event Management major with emphasis on Attraction management at Indiana University, and have studied this type of situation before...when Cedar Fair purchased Kings Island in Cincinnati, OH.)

Kellie

I agree. Keep in mind that the MGM name and related properties have been split up and sold as well. I believe most of the MGM movie library is now owned by Turner/Time Warner, while the MGM name itself has been sold to Sony Pictures. In a nutshell, the former MGM entity is now split up amongst a number of different companies meaning Disney has different contracts with each of those companies. Dropping the MGM name from the name of the park will only impact one of many contracts.

emmingo
06-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Legally speaking, when they built (and now that they maintain the rides), they most likely purchased or paid for the copy-rights to the material contained in the ride, meaning that, outside of the off chance that the owner of the copyright (presumably MGM) wants to revoke that license, Disney can use the material in the way that it is already using it without fear of the rights being revoked. In other words, if Disney were to somehow lose the rights to having, say, Casablana, in its GMR, it would lead to a big legal fight--not something that probably either party wants.

Like Kellie said, all of these rides were created with contracts and copyrights and trademarks and all that good stuff in mind, and changing them now would involve altering the contract (not fun)!

:)

lindique
06-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Does anyone know when this may happen?

disneygecko
06-05-2007, 05:28 PM
I am so glad that any MGM material will not be removed. If any movies from the Great Movie Ride are removed or replaced, I would feel really upset. Also, ditto on lindique's question.